Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Humanist Manifesto posted:

I just creamed my pants. Hooooly poo poo. Kanye KILLED it. ABSOLUTELY SLAUGHTERED THIS SONG. Also the beat change made me squeal and bob my head at 7 in the morning.

Will this be on the album? I doubt it but drat, this makes me wanna buy 5 copies.

EDIT:
Lyrics!

Whoaaa.

If the rest of the album is even close to this quality then this is a great return to form, gently caress

I mean I love me all of kanye's stuff but definitely felt that other than his beats being awesome almost 100% of the time he hasn't gone hard like this in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah really

I think he's having a freakout over the whole taylor swift thing a year late?

I kinda feel sorry for him :( He mentioned it in the tweets and IIRC Jay-Z mentioned it at one point but it really was a big media blowup in the end, and let's say if he snatched the mic off Beyonce and said Taylor should have won would it have been a bigger issue? No, because it's not a big scary black man being horrible to a poor, innocent white girl (not saying Taylor meant that either! Just the media love a good story)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
New song up on his twitter account... pretty awesome. I'm really liking this stuff. Really feels like TCD era Kanye. Loving it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Ponch it's hardly unique to Kanye, pretty much any high profile musician has said something like that more or less in regards to leaks.

You know if the whole album, fully mixed and done properly had leaked, I'd bet he'd be less pissed because it's more a culmination of their work. It must hurt a lot to really work your arse off on something for months and months and then have this unfinished version of it leaked out and exposed to the entire world. I can totally understand.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's his own fault, though. Plenty of artists manage to not have anything leak until review copies are sent out, simply because they manage strict control over the recording process.

I really don't see how it's his fault, who knows who leaked it? If you are going to collaborate with others you run the risk.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm not understanding people saying it's overproduced and whatnot...

I mean I kinda get where people are coming from. This album is loving slick. But saying it's too produced is kinda like going "Terminator had too much action and robots in it" like yeah if you don't like robots and action then fair enough but that's the loving point.

Loving the album. No poo poo tracks really.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Sisgmund posted:

Well, I know I liked Runaway more without the "we gotcha" loop in the background.

I think specifically Runaway is probably a wild card in any discussion I've seen, mostly because we've heard so many different versions of it already.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I seriously cannot believe that people are saying Kanye is a black supremacist because he told some white people his music was better.

He also said Eminem was the hottest MC number 1 and forever so what does that say?

I'll tell you- it's not about black and white, he says loving dumb poo poo no matter what the race. It's just that he's on top of hip hop at the moment so there is no need to talk poo poo to that genre. So he's left with talking poo poo about other things. Other things are dominated by white people. Case closed.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

nationalista posted:

(Jay-Z's verse on Monster is really awful :( )

Is this a joke

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Himuro posted:

I have to say that while I enjoy the album for what it is, I'm disappointed Kanye has morphed into a generic rap icon. To me, Kanye used to be a symbol for alternative hip hop and that you can get away with talking to things that people can actually relate to such as excess and a need to spend, or people you respect, or appreciating life, or the monotony that is a 9-5 job.

Here, he has officially gravitated towards being a generic rap icon who merely flexes his muscle more so than his brain.

The production is fantastic, but what's left is an awfully vapid and lifeless album that really doesn't reach out and tell me about well, anything, besides Kanye and his ego. And I can get that from any other rapper.

For the record, I'm in the huge minority that believes that 808s is Kanye's best album on par with College Dropout. Aside from Robocop, which sucks, I really think that the bulk of the album is an interesting and introspective look at the man and his heart and what he values. I know it's not a rap album, but that's partially why I like it so much. These days I'm in a "rap sucks balls" form of mind.

The production is so good and well put together though, that I'm almost willing to ignore the lovely lyrics. It's a well put together album, but it's missing heart.

I really think this album is a lot more introspective than people give it credit for. Hell, even the lead single Power is more than it seems if you listen to it.

Ego doesn't discount introspectiveness. Like how can you deny the introspectiveness of Power, loving thundering out of the gates with lines like "Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it/I guess every superhero needs his theme music", to the who are you trying to convince "At the end of the day goddamnit I'm killing this poo poo/I know drat well ya'll feeling this poo poo/I don't need your pussy bitch I'm on my own dick"

To like two lines later having the line "I got the power make your life so exciting" and have "So exciting" gradually morph into something more resembling the word "suicide" then have a bridge "This would be a beautiful death/jumping out the window"

You say that ego can't be introspective, he knows he has loving issues with that. If he played his cards wrong last year it would have been a huge blow to his career. He's given interviews saying he thought about suicide. Of course he's going to rap about getting hosed up, having a huge ego, etc.

The difference between kanye and generic rap is other rappers will be like YEAH hosed THIS BITCH NOW SHE'S GONE gently caress YOU BITCH THANK YOU BASED GOD or something, whereas Kanye will do a song more like Blame Game or Hell of a Life, where you just wonder where the gently caress he is coming from and how hosed up his relationships were.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Ziir posted:

I think this is one of the best performances I've ever seen cause it's completely full of emotion. The change of words in the song is a nice touch. Didn't he break down and start crying performing this song some time ago?

I've seen him live twice here in Australia once a bit after 808s came out and the first time was only like a couple months after his mum had died and was before that Grammy performance iirc and both times he did that performance but goddamn the first time being so soon afterwards was really raw... He was definitely tearing up, missing words and the like... Brutal

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Brett824 posted:

A lot of this stems from the fact that he had to do all that touring and promotion right after this Mom died and he never got the proper chance to sit back and face the reality of it. If I remember correctly he described his performances after her death as "Losing an arm and leg and just trying to walk through it". Really sad stuff.

e: on a related note, according to QTip another pressing of MBDTF is going to come out around Christmas that includes Chain Heavy and Mama's Boy as bonus tracks. The kicker is that Mama's Boy has two versions - one produced by QTip and one produced by Soulja Boy - and he doesn't know which one will be on the pressing.

Yeah definitely. It was pretty intense, a real performer. I can't wait until her tours mbdtf, if he toured 808s and fit it into a rap concert I think I will die listening to this live

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
U2 are touring Australia with Jay-Z as the support act, I'm going on wednesday.
The news has reported Beyonce travelling with him of course
And KANYE flew into Melbourne today ahead of wednesday's show

If Monster or So Appalled or gently caress anything gets played by both I think I'll die

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Dark Clam posted:

The clipping is pretty awful. Do you not notice it or does it just not bother you?

What is it, I am not trying to be cute or funny, I honestly can't hear anything wrong

Maybe on So Appalled when it's "One hand in the air/if you don't really care" on the air it seems to cut off quite quickly
is that what you mean?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

F201 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

Listen to the GOOD Friday Monster back to back to the album version. If you can't hear the difference I don't know what to tell you.

I have done that I just did it again and what I'm picturing you telling me is "I am an audiophile snob"

I'm sure it's there. But really it's hilarious hearing people up in arms over it because the average person won't be able to hear it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I loved the beat but it was pretty much what I expected (ie. "ye and jay/we are loving rich/bitches yeah")

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Final Fart Buttball posted:

I felt like it was trying to cram too many musical ideas together that don't smoothly gel with each other for lack of a better word right now. Maybe I also instinctively flinched at the song because I'm really tired of hearing people say they're "goin ham"

Is this a joke, do people actually say this

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What the gently caress is Kanye doing with promoting this album? I haven't watched Monster because I heard it was unfinished, but wasn't Monster getting radio play like... when the Good friday version dropped? And a video still isn't done?

I get that this isn't like Graduation with multiple singles, it's not going to sell as much but poo poo, Monster should have been and gone by now and All of the Lights probably should have had its video last week or something

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah what the hell is happening with watch the throne?

Also is Lupe's new album really that bad? I'd ask the hip hop thread but I have a feeling that if it's not BASED GOD or some super obscure guy being talked about I'd get chased out of the thread :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
hm I might check out a bit on youtube or something before buying it then, thanks :)

I wish Kanye would just shut the gently caress up with release dates as well. Remember around new years he basically said WTT would be out in full the next week? Then HAM didn't even come out that soon. I know not to get my hopes up but it's just too annoying :( I want more Kanye :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

TheJoker138 posted:

On a different topic, Kanye said that he's going to have a new album (not Watch the Throne) dropping this Summer. Before this album, he never had one that really stood out to me. I liked the singles, and a few of the other tracks, but none of them had the level of impact that Fantasy did. So I'm really, really hoping he's able to maintain the level of polish this album had, but the fact that it's coming so soon after this worries me. Am I alone in this?

Considering that you never liked his other albums that everyone else spazzes out over I think you're more or less alone in this :P

I also don't believe for one second he has another album coming out this summer. He also said Watch the Throne would be a 5 track EP consisting of the Power Remix, So Appalled and possibly Monster at one point, then he promised it would be out early january as a full album, then what? HAM came out and... nothing. In fact the same series of tweets where he said he'd have his new album this summer was on January 24th, it was like 3 tweets and it was

WATCH THE THRONE 2 MONTHS
MY NEW ALBUM THIS SUMMER
ALL OF THE LIGHTS VIDEO NEXT WEEK

The video debuted almost a full month later, Watch the Throne clearly isn't here yet and has no signs of being here anytime soon (it's already been two months!) soooo the new album I predict will be late late this year if at all in 2011.

I don't even care that all his poo poo is delayed but I just wish he wouldn't say it was coming then not say anything :( I mean I remember around new years he was like yeah watch the throne is next week, clearly he knew that was wrong :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

the Bunt posted:

I love Devil in a New Dress, but I think the weakest link is Kanye himself. Just weak verse after weak verse. The song doesn't get really awesome until the guitar interlude and Rick Ross.

What what what

No way, although I'm fairly sure I could tolerate Drake spitting on that track verse after verse just for the beat.

Also I have a theory that Kanye shot himself in the foot using the line "Put your hands to the constellations/the way you look should be a sin/you're my sensation" in a track like Devil.

It's fantastic, and really makes Devil in a New Dress great, but if he had saved that line and sold it to Usher or some other R&B crooner and made a number one single out of it it would have made so much loving bank!

I love Devil in a New Dress. Although I've never really heard Rick Ross before and I'd only listened to the Good Friday version of Devil then when the album version was on I was like "oh cool a guitar solo epilogue type thing for the track" then suddenly

LOOKIN AT MY BITCH I BET SHE GIVE YO rear end A BONE

:wtc:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

truther posted:

To be honest, never realised. It was handed to me and I just chucked it in.

Oh well it's given me the push to listen to his other albums

if you don't like swearing then probably only listen to 808s and heartbreak because he kinda swears on everything else

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

onefish posted:

So do remixes just not get album releases? The "Power" remix was obviously great, and I thought they were saying it would be on Watch the Throne from the beginning. Doesn't matter, I'd obviously like more new music and fewer repeats, it's just weird. And I can't check from work, but if I wanted to pay money for that remix, could I, via iTunes or something?

just download it for free from kanyes website man

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

atrus50 posted:

something's gonna happen on monday

Please what the hell

Kanye I swear is just a troll. "Watch the Throne coming soon! New Album in summer!" *literally no info for months*

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Has he always been this erratic in releasing info? I mean seriously according to the little timeline he spoke about earlier in the year we should have already had Watch the Throne done and dusted by now and possibly even another album here/on the way... the fool makes no sense

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So was that review that claimed they had a song that sampled the Andrea Bocelli song bogus then :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

atrus50 posted:

All right no news yet but apparently somethings gonna happen tonight at a planetarium with wild animals from brooklyn zoo

What in gods name is kanye doing now

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It's out, I'm liking it so far.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Either way itunes either has it or will have it very shortly (ie 5 minutes or so) depending on your location

Word of warning atm though- deluxe edition apparently has forgotten to include Otis :( awkward guys

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I saw him back in 2009 and I was telling my brother I hoped that he would play Paranoid, which is a personal favourite of mine, and he was like no way man and what did Kanye do?

He loving opened with Paranoid. SO loving GOOD

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

the Bunt posted:

His verse in Illest Mother Fucker Alive is just SAVAGE. When I realized what he was getting at with the "Russel aint the only Russel" shot I was like "daaaaamn"

I don't even understand what it is supposed to mean, is this some sort of slang that I am not getting :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just leak living so italian Kanye please ugh

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I just saw him like two weeks ago and he played like Dark Fantasy/Power/Monster/Hell of a Life/Runaway/Lost in the WOrld/all of the lights...

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Is theraflu available anywhere? I'm out of itunes reach for a couple days at which point I'll pick up Mercy, but is Theraflu just a mixtape thing or a single? If it's just a mixtape thing is is OK to have a decent link posted or no?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
http://kanyewest.com/

Also on iTunes also. Very nice. I wonder when the album will actually come out?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What did Mos Def do

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Whether it was planned or not it was the biggest overreaction ever by Swift

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I've been to 4 Kanye Concerts and have had at least one rant at each, it's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dave Chappelle talking about how he first met Kanye and knew he was gonna be a star even before College Dropout came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SYIfhzMmU

"Because my life is dope, and I do dope poo poo"

• Locked thread