Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Thank you for posting that video, it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
This album is fine. I don't think the strongest song here touches anything on ye's last album.

Jay seems soooooo tacked on. This hardly ever feels like a real colab and not something kanye just asked jay to be on. Jay is just a guest on kanye's songs.

This is Jay Z and Kanye West. this album should have been a lot more than "These 4 songs are pretty good!"

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Actually, Swizz MAKES that track.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Drake Bate posted:

North West is the better name :colbert:

Wylde

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

catpowerd posted:

“Eating Asian pussy all I need is sweet and sour sauce”

Welp, this is amesome.

Really? Because it's the type of line I expect on a Childish Gambino album.

i think Bound 2 is dope, other than that, I dunno. Like others have said, Ye was never a great lyricist (see quote above!) and with these super sparse beats, his vocals are at the forefront and I'm just left wanting a more.

Someone quoted an interview with Rick Rubin in this thread, right before the leak I believe, and in it Rick mentioned that Ye laid down like 3-5 tracks vocally in like a couple hours because Ye had to jet to a baby shower for Kim and was impressed by it, but, honestly, that just sounds about right to me. I don't see a ton of work on the lyrics at all. If this guy wants to win album of the year (which he seemed pretty obsessed with in the New York Times interview) I think he should spend a little bit more tim on his album instead of just throwing money at it.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 16, 2013

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
A lot of the songs sound like Watch the Throne B sides if Kanye worked on them without Jay, while pouting.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

double negative posted:

I don't think many rappers would dare gently caress with some of the beats Kanye has on this album. He's striving for something real different, but that thing isn't for me.

Also, the idea of Childish Gambino dropping a song like New Slaves (the lyrics of this, especially the opening verse, show that his rhymes don't have to be trash) or Blood on the Leaves is kind of funny to me. Funny enough, those two were among the album's best for me, and even Blood on the Leaves is like a minute and a half too long. "Hurry up with my drat croissants" was funny as gently caress but then he did a thing on that song too.

It's interesting to see how many reviewers and people here like it; everyone I know dislikes this album more than I do.

Maybe you're not talking about me specifically, but I just don't want my comment taken out of context. I quoted a specific line that I likened to Glover. I just don't think Ye's writing is especially strong, moreso on this album, and I think his punchline raps are pretty specifically weak.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I know this might sound weird, in how I phrase it, but I miss in when Kanye would rap in paragraphs. Now he just seems to rap in like 4 to 6 lines at a time and then lets the music do its thing then comes back for another 4-6 lines.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So, are there different versions of the album? Leak vs digital vs physical?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So, is someone going to answer which version is the "correct" one to snag? iTunes, physical, or off of Kanyewest.com?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wait why doesn't the 300 line make sense?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
He probably did it for the same reason he said klondike/blonde dyke. It doesn't really make sense, but it sounds good. No one knows what it means, but it's provocative.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Soundtrack to The Godfather Part 2.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Exactly. I've said for a long time now, Kanye West is Batman.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ticketmaster was super lovely (surprise!) But I managed to get 5th row GA. Pumped, but most I have ever paid for a ticket ($166.00).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah right At 10 sharp I had tickets in my cart and then when I went to check out TM said there was an error and I had to start over. Luckily even though it took 10 mins to get back to it even finding me tickets, they were the same ones.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah Yeezus was weak and so was this tour.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The producer already stated that it's going to be on both of their new albums (as in, its on Kanye's new album as well).

The same song is going to be on both albums? I have never heard of that before.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wow that is dumb as gently caress what happened to the concept of the album

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is this true would he do that

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That's his best album and he probably won't top it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
To me Mbdtf sounds like exactly what he wanted to make. It has everything but the kitchen sink, in a great way.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is the new future thing good ds2

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Agree.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
But that's what happens when you get backpackers in a Kanye thread.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Dexo posted:

MBDTF has no skips(besides Swizz Beatz being trash on hooks) Runaway is my favorite Kanye song.

College Dropout, I loving love that album. It could be because it brings me back to a time and place, and me ranking it high could be me being nostalgic as all hell. But it's easily my second favorite Album.

Graduation, this and 808s are equal in my mind, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Stronger all fantastic

808s Hated this album when it first came out, but went back to it around MBDTF and appreciated it waaaaaaay more.

Late Registration, Solid Don't hate it Close to 808s/Graduation, but those two slightly edge it out.

Yeezus, Has 2 great songs(Blood on the Leaves, Bound 2), 2 good songs(Hold my Liqour, New Slaves), and everything else is p much forgettable

Good post/is right. Even agree about the yeezus breakdown

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
College, late, and grad beat the gently caress out of yeezus in every way possible.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Quandary posted:

1. MBDTF
2. College Dropout
3. 808's
4. Late Registration
5. Graduation
6. Yeezus.

You guys with your different opinions from me are all crazy people.

This is also a good opinion. Whatever had mbdtf first and yeezus last is correct.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Told you guys poo poo is getting lit :slick:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Kanye interview literally talks about how he would dip out of working on the album to hit up Kim's baby shower. Rubin says how sporadic and random Kanye worked on yeezus. It was not something ye spent a lot of time on (like he usually does) and if you go spinning that as a positive you're a Stan. This album was way more superficial poo poo than quality content and you could tell that from the marketing and stunts he pulled regarding the album compared to how he marketed/promoted other albums.

Yeezus tries to be this "cool dark and scary" but it doesn't hold a candle to anything ye put out before it except maybe good music or cruel summer.

Blood on the leaves, bound 2, that's it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Maybe he should always work on his albums sporadically then :colbert: Not that the albums he put out before Yeezus were bad. Quite the opposite. But Yeezus ruled, and if he put out more stuff like that, I'd be totally cool with that.

You really, truly, enjoyed Yeezus the most out of all his work and hope that he just keeps putting out bleak, "dark" albums?

I like when Kanye makes awesome pop rap like flashing lights and poo poo.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm just genuinely surprised that is someone's fav ye album without putting on a front or saying it is just to be different. I find it hard to imagine if that's your absolute fav thing of his you really enjoyed his output before because, at least to me, it's a huge gap, at the very least, stylistically (and, in my opinion, quality wise).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Please tell me what songs on yeezus you consider perfect songs. It's the use of flagrant hyperbole itt that's really bothering me, is all.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah but my man "really good" and perfect are not the same. There's actually a pretty big difference. I agree with your second post. Some of those songs are really good.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Kanye's lyrics hAve for sure fell off go ahead and post some next level rhymes from yeezus be my guest

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

setafd posted:

mayonnaise-colored Benz I push miracle whips

Yes this is good

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah, really fantastic, perfect songs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If u like lines like that might I suggest childish gambino?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
He does dumb easy punchline rap, like that line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
The best thing Kanye has ever done is mdtf and after that it's the bush thing and then maybe some funny faces he's made.

• Locked thread