Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Power remix back up (not pitch-shifted, I don't think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3c-tt0Ycc

I don't think that quoting the Fair Use statute will work, but it's been there for a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Brett824 posted:

If you don't understand the symbolism behind something, it clearly doesn't have symbolism.

The movie was originally just called the same thing as the album, but it was changed for promotional reasons. Kanye keeps on touching on why there are so many songs in the movie in interviews: he wants every song on his album to get some sort of visual representation even if it's not a single. He doesn't want the visual aspect of some songs to get lost because they aren't chosen as singles.

This was my sense. Even if every segment doesn't come off successfully, each takeaway image is visually arresting. As an art piece... meh. As a sampler for the album -- holy poo poo. Also, I totally want that chopped-up Power beat.

Kanye's clearly a naive artist, and is incredibly self-indulgent, but dammit, it feels like no one's tried to blend art and commerce in top 40 music like this since new wave.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those interested, Pitchfork (and, I assume, nbc.com) have video of the Matt Lauer interview that Kanye was referring to. It's pretty obvious with the Bush clip that they're trying to spike up Kanye's emotions, and he calls them on it. In general, though, nothing really unusual about NBC's tactics, though that may be more of an indictment of modern television news as a whole.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

dalp posted:

DECENT AT BEST.

It's in all-caps, folks, so you know he means business.

It's a solid album. I'm not getting anything close to an "album of the decade" vibe. Honestly, I can't even say "album of the year" (remember, Erykah Badu, Broken Bells, and The Walkmen released spectacular albums this year). Still it's a drat good album.

EDIT: With that said, "Runaway" is probably record of the year. It still blows me away.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 13, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

illcendiary posted:

All of the Lights is such wasted potential, epic sounding instrumental wasted on lyrics that don't make any sense.

Wow. Between the Hating on AotL and the adoration of So Appalled, I don't even know what the gently caress.

Seriously, though: AotL is the most lyrically straightforward "narrative" track on the album. And it's "MJ gone -- OUR nigga dead!" I don't remember the line before, but the rhyme is something like "hand to my head." He's in a crazy spiral, capped off by the collective mourning of a sudden death.

Brett gave the rundown. He snaps under pressure, hits his girl, comes back from jail, finds his girl with a new man, beats the new guy up (takes him to Ghetto University), restraining order, supervised visitation, legal drama, trying to be a father so his daughter doesn't end up on the same path to Ghetto University.

I can understand not liking the song (not really, but that's opinion), but there's absolutely nothing confusing about it except that it's written as a first person character who isn't Kanye West.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 17, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

the Bunt posted:

Anyone know who is singing the last variation of the chorus on All of the Lights? It sounds like old-time black gospel singers and I love it.

"I tried to tell you but all I can say . . ."? I don't have a source, but the general consensus is that it's Elton John.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BrownThunder posted:

Amazon is selling this for $3.99 today, the MP3 version.

Amazon is also giving away $3 in MP3 download credits with the code GET3MP3S.

99 cent for the new Kanye? Sold.

That is insane. I'll probably wait and get the CD used, but I did want to check out the new Ne-Yo (last album was really well-written).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
They also called Justified one of the top ten albums of the year it was released, and Outkast's B.O.B the song of the decade. This is not unforeseeable.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

theflyingexecutive posted:

Pitchfork suffers from hella white guilt.

They've actually always described it as a recognition of the extent to which the iPod has changed how we think about music. With the decisive shift from album to single, producers have been given much more free reign to create succinct blasts of awesome. That tends to (tends to) favor rap and pop artists more than traditional rock artists.

Since they made that statement, there's been more explicit cross-pollination, and Pitchfork's made an effort to skew experimental to maintain their baseline cred.

Dammit... I still love this writeup:

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7693-the-top-500-tracks-of-the-2000s-20-1/2/

Pitchfork posted:

So you've spent the past five days clicking through pages of this countdown only to find out that the best single of the 2000s was released just 10 months into the decade. (To the ensuing nine or so years of music: thanks for showing up.) And that it's the very same song that topped Pitchfork's Best Songs of 2000-2004 list from five years ago. Now you know how your parents feel when they tune into a long-weekend classic-rock radio countdown for the inevitable valedictory spin of "Stairway to Heaven".

But really, do we have any other choice? "B.O.B." is not just the song of the decade-- it is the decade. Appropriately, the contemporary hip-hop act most in tune with the Afro-Futurist philosophies of Sun Ra, George Clinton, and Afrika Bambaataa, wound up effectively crafting a fast-forwarded highlight-reel prophecy of what the next 10 years held in store. The title-- aka "Bombs Over Baghdad", a phrase that sounded oddly anachronistic in 2000, sadly ubiquitous two and a half years later-- is only the start of it. In "B.O.B"'s booty-bass blitzkrieg, we hear an obliteration of the boundaries separating hip-hop, metal, and electro, setting the stage for a decade of dance/rock crossovers. We hear a bloodthirsty gospel choir inaugurating a presidential administration of warmongering evangelicals. We hear André 3000 and Big Boi fire off a synapse-bursting stream of ripped-from-the-headlines buzzwords ("Cure for cancer/ Cure for AIDS"), personal anecdotes ("Got a son on the way by the name of Bamboo") and product placements ("Yo quiero Taco Bell") that read like the world's first Twitter feed. We hear four minutes of utter loving chaos yielding to a joyously optimistic denouement (a point reinforced by the Stankonia cover's re-imagination of the American flag, which anticipates a White House set to be painted black).

Of course, there is a downside of being ahead of your time-- upon its release, "B.O.B." didn't even dent the Billboard Hot 100, and merely peaked at No. 69 on the Hip-Hop/R&B Chart. But unlike OutKast's subsequent number one singles ("Ms. Jackson" and "Hey Ya") "B.O.B." is too disorienting and exhausting an experience to ever succumb to over-saturation, and its majesty has never been diminished by ironic cover versions from cred-hungry rock bands. Because even after a decade that's seen the act of copying music become as easy as a mouse-click, and the process of performing simplified for toy video-game guitars, the future-shocked ferocity "B.O.B." is something that just cannot be duplicated. --Stuart Berman

\/\/\/\/ Oh, I'm down. Just pointing out that this isn't exactly a left-field decision by the editorial staff.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 23, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Also want to point out that the album version of Monster takes out a lot of the little nuances in Bon Iver's performance (including the little trill he does his contribution starts). It's really noticeable, and I keep singing that part when it's not there.

Switched out the Good Friday version in the album tracklist. Much better.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, at this level its entirely subjective. Neither album is doing anything new or innovative or hugely complex, so it comes down to taste. In this case, nothing Kanye is doing can top songs like these in my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85fzs45XFwM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UwFRbJ0P_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldjiwOlaRg

To be honest, I think Cee-Lo would be surprised to hear you say that. I only listened to "Bright Light Bigger City," but it doesn't even sound as though he's trying for something as ambitious as Kanye's album. Not that that's a slight: maybe Cee-Lo is more consistently great across the entire album, but it doesn't sound like he's aiming for the same kind of grand statement.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, doesn't seem much point in discussing the point if all you're hearing is "fun production and the occasional clever one liner." Whether you think he succeeded or not, an objective look at the lead up to this album contradicts the notion that this is just supposed to be a fun pop album.

Anyway, Nathan Rabin at the A.V. Club has given both an A-. I think it was intentional that the same person did both reviews:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy,48117/

http://www.avclub.com/articles/cee-lo-green-the-lady-killer,47733/

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

maxnmona posted:

I did see Runaway. It was hilarious (I hope intentionally so, but it's hard to tell with Kanye).

Kanye was not chased out of America. People thought that something he did at an awards shows was stupid, he's not exactly a martyr outside of his imagination and apparently the mythology some of you are building up in your heads.

I do like Kanye. And I like the album, pretty much. But you're ascribing more weight to a pop record than it can possibly take. It's a little weird.

Also if you think this album is musically innovative, then I don't know what to tell you except maybe listen to more music. The post above this is just reaching to the point of absurdity.

There's no reason for me to continue this discussion, but it really sounds as though you're conflating whether the effort was successful with whether an effort was made.

Whether you think that he is justified in feeling the way he feels, it's pretty clear that the artist is working through what he perceives as a tremendous emotional burden. Whether you think he succeeded at it, he has made a clear effort (across multiple forms of media) to make some type of statement about his place in the world. It's going to fail if solely judged as a "fun-pop" album, because that's not what it is: though there are several songs that stand alone as amazing pop singles, it's clear he wasn't trying to create "club-bangers" (based on Kanye's commercial history, it's not as though he couldn't if that was his intent).

tl,dr: Your subjective opinion on the album's qualities is valid, but you're basing it on an objectively incorrect view of the album's origin and intent.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm disappointed with the album mix of Runaway. I think he did way too much with the "Who got ya?" backing samples and filled in some of the awesome space that was filled with piano and strings on the pre-album mix. I get what he's trying to do with the autotune solo, but it sounds kind of out of place with the piano and strings. Plus it clips like crazy.

Still, that's my biggest complaint and that should say something. This is an amazing album and is probably one of the best hip hop albums released in the past 5 years.

If if helps, the sample is "Look atcha!" which ties into the sense of self-reproach and self-loathing built up in the song.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Pink Friday is not very good, to be honest. Monster was my first time with Minaj, as well, and nothing within the first five tracks comes close -- I tapped out at that point.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Pitchfork actually did a really good job summing up and expressing my feelings for Pink Friday. http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14898-pink-friday/

Also, College Dropout it still my favorite Kanye Album and I don't see that ever changing to be honest.

Jesus. Is there actually a track called "Dear Old Nicki?" That's just depressing. :(

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those interested in the vinyl release, Amazon has it on pre-order for almost $10 below Insound (it looks like Insound is selling it flat retail, with no markup). Just put in my order, with free 2-day shipping (I got a free trial of Prime with a .edu email address).

\/\/\/Dammit, totally remember reading that. Someone even posted tragically funny (hilariously tragic?) photos. Call it informed risk: $10 plus free shipping is a pretty great incentive, since I've never had a problem with Amazon shipments in the past. Maybe they know what they're doing.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 29, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those interested in the Nicki Minaj aspect of this whole process, there's a fairly decent article on theawl about Pink Friday:

http://www.theawl.com/2010/11/selling-herself-short-the-miscontexualization-of-nicki-minaj

It's sort of apologetic, but it seems to present Nicki Minaj as a martyr for the cause of female rappers. The author discusses female rappers who have quit (or never started) because they were pressured to compromise their vision, and then talks about how, by basically compromising her vision after raising expectations, Nicki Minaj has changed the game, because generally female rappers have never had high expectations to start with.

Female rappers are starting to create diss tracks against her, and so she's effectively creating a space for female rappers to interact, battle, and grow the way the boys do.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

HampHamp posted:

I'm not sure exactly why but the line about putting a pussy in a sarcophagus is the funniest thing I've ever heard in a song.

Album is great.

I think it's the Bugs Bunny-like "ehhhh" leading into the line and the hard "K" sounds in "sarcophagus." Hard "K" sounds = funny.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Superchunk posted:

Sorry guys! Of course after I talk InSound up and down about being awesome we get a delay on the album. It's the #3 top-selling record on the website now, so they must be coping with some serious demand.

Insound doesn't manufacture records: you'd experience this delay regardless of who you bought the record from.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Got my vinyl copy today. Actually came in a totally reasonable cardboard shipper.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
This video is kinda... meh. The visuals are, for the most part, really great (a lot owing to influences, I guess). The performances, however, seem really half-assed and almost bored. I've seen better from Kanye.

Rihanna, though. :pervert:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
A few months later, and I'm --- not regretting, but second-guessing my decision to buy the album on vinyl. I just never listen to it: most every song is pretty high-rated in my digital library, but it's a pretty drat wearying album to take in all in one sitting.

I think I've only spun the entire thing, beginning to end, over the three platters three or four times since I bought it. Compare this to Big Boi's album, which gets dragged out about once every two weeks or so.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Final Fart Buttball posted:

I love this album and I think it's great, but I'm starting to wonder if anyone who thought the album was perfect out of 10 towards the end of last year have changed their tune any. Genuine curiosity here, not looking down on anyone

Stereogum doesn't really do "formal" reviews, but they revisited their original opinion of the album within a month of naming it the best album of 2010.

http://stereogum.com/613292/double-take-kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/top-stories/lead-story/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Role Play McMurphy posted:

lost in the world wasnt on good friday and there is an obviously intended transition on the album

People need to stop writing reviews based on mediafire downloads.

• Locked thread