Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I question the choice to let Swizz have the longest verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I'm not even sure who kills it on So Appalled. I mean RZA is amazing and all he's doing is yelling in his angry voice.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

This. A hundred times. I love everything I've heard so far.

Well, except for Lord Lord Lord (even though I never tire of Mos Def).

Lord Lord Lord would probably be my second favorite song if Swizz didn't have a verse. I don't even mind him just generally mcing/yelling on a track as much as some people do, but he can't rap.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Superchunk posted:

The new (unmastered) song "Lost in the World" that samples Bon Iver's "Woods" leaked yesterday. It's pretty easy to find with a Google search, so I'm not going to post it here.

I'm a little conflicted with this one. I love both artists, but "Woods" has been an important song to me and always sounded pretty melancholy. It's odd hearing it in this form. I like how the song starts, I'm glad Kanye left it alone so you can get a feel for where the sample comes from before he drops the beat. The middle section is a big EH from me, I guess it needs to grow on me more. I love the Gil Scott-Heron ending. One of my favorite Kanye song endings at this point, right behind "Gone."

I guess the main thing this song has done for me is give me way more hope for this next album. My expectations are high now.
I genuinely think this is one of the best songs Kanye has ever created and I'm usually a CD/LR fanboy. It may not be a rap song or anything, but it is certainly a brilliant and theatrical production.

e: an interesting thing is that if you see it posted on a hip hop blog, the comment sections are all hating on it and saying it's "watered down for the masses". Apparently Bon Iver samples are mainstream as hell.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 29, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

bows1 posted:

Wow Im loving Lost in the World. Great track, loving everything about this new album so far. I just hope he doesn't give away all the songs before the album drops.

Something tells me he wont.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Lost In The World was leaked without his approval, I think, he was tweeting about how upset he is that somebody put it out. Also we're being punished by being deprived of a Good Friday track this week as a result.

Actually another song leaked too but I'm not going to even mention the name of it. I hope this doesn't push back the album for any reason.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Looks like he's doing a GOOD Friday track tonight anyway? Hopefully?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

It's up on http://www.kanyewest.com/GOODFridays/

The distortion on 'Ye's voice is a little eh, but it's a pretty great track.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Everyone go buy Runaway on iTunes. The official single version doesn't have the vocoder or the samples which I prefer, but a lot of people are hating on it.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

illcendiary posted:

I wish it had the samples, the vocoder sounded pretty horrible live but cleaned up it might have worked well.

Did you listen to the early Clean CQD that was on Def Jam's website? The vocoder part had tons of distortion and sounded awful, I'm glad it's gone. The samples would have been nice but they fit the "hype" of the live performance more than they fit the recorded version.

Oh also, album's out November 22, according to Kanye on twitter.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Ye just tweeted the album title is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy which is such an awful, awful title.

It's a fine title. It'd be a lot better if it were just "My Dark Twisted Fantasy", but it's still a great title that fits the theme of the album perfectly (from what we've heard).

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Thrust On Moore posted:

I dunno, Dark Twisted Fantasy had a cleaner ring to it; Adding "My Beautiful" just adds a tone of narcissism to it. But of course, this isn't unusual for Kanye, so what am I even criticizing?

Narcissism? Why that's absurd.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Unconfirmed, but I'm still super excited.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Geno posted:

lloyd banks?

http://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/23968267987

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Kanye Wests top 5 MCs

1. Himself
2. Nicki Minaj
5. Lloyd Banks

Dude is amazing but his opinions are pretty much universally terrible.

No I'm pretty sure he said Eminem was in his top 5 when he was talking about how amazing Nicki Minaj is.

Tbqh, I think he just gets drunk and tweets poo poo that he otherwise would have just thought for 5 minutes and then forgotten.

e: Yeah here it is:

“The scariest artist in the game right now… The scariest artist is definitely Nicki Minaj, and I think she has the most potential out of everyone to be the #2 rapper of all time ’cause nobody’s gonna be bigger than Eminem. Eminem’s the #1 rapper of all time.”

I think your list is off a bit.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I think Forever was pretty obviously not really collaboration. All 4 of those verses were probably recorded in different locations. A true 'Em + 'Ye collaboration would be pretty exciting though.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Final Fart Buttball posted:

The production is questionable but Kanye actually drops a decent verse, slightly better than on some of his own songs recently.

edit - Pharrell produced it right? I haven't heard a good beat out of him in 100 rap years

It's def. a Pharrell beat.

God the way they just straight rap for 3 minutes straight is just dope as hell, even if Pharrel is pretty mediocre at everything.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 9, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Korak posted:

Pharrel has made a lot of money at being mediocre. :D

Well he's an amazing business man and makes some nice clothing, but I'm just not loving with him musically.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Ryan Leslie's account of the recording process for Christian Dior Denim Flow (Source):

Ryan Leslie posted:

SEPT 26, 2010: Came back the next day. I walked in the studio, Cudi, John Legend was in there, Pusha was in there and Kanye was like, Man, there’s so much talent in the room we should do something. So it was literally that extemporaneous.
He had a Juno keyboard set up, I jumped on it, started playing some chords. Kanye already had the title, which set the tone for what everybody was talking about and then I jumped to the piano, started playing some stuff and next thing I know I told Banks… I had invited Banks to come by the studio. He came by the studio and by the end of the night, Banks and Cudi had already put their verses on the record the first night and we had already laid the hooks and Ye came up with the hook of what’s happening right now, why do I keep calling, we got all this going on, we got girls, we got shows, we got the master plan, we all successful but there’s still that one chick we still wanna call. That’s where the hook came up. Me, Cudi and John Legend jumped in the studio, all layered our vocals, and then we had a bunch of other stuff in between. I wasn’t there when Pusha laid his verse.

It's really interesting to see that Kanye just gets a lot of creative minds in a room and comes up with poo poo. Definitely got a unique vibe to it that album cuts don't always have.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

CountingCrows posted:

Should have kept with Good rear end Job.

No because not only is that stupid, it's also already a title of a song on one of his mixtapes.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

This week's G.O.O.D. Friday is... interesting. The end is crazy and the beat is raw as gently caress.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Contemplating buying that cover as an av, it's just too awesome.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I guess that early leaked AotL was certainly quite a bit unfinished. I'm 100% glad that drake is off the track though, not sure how a feel about Rihanna or Fergie though.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCcD9Djj5M

Kanye on Ellen.

The diamond teeth make sense considering those front teeth were probably badly damaged in the car crash (circa 2002) and were fake/had a lot of work done to them anyway.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

I thought Monster was supposed to be on Watch the Throne. :confused:

It was until it was a big hit without actually getting a real release.

e: Also no Mama's Boyfriends makes me super sad. Hope an unfinished CDQ of it gets released eventually.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 23, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

DarkCompanion posted:

The whole project is interesting, but appears to me as something of a failure. The phoenix idea is pretty contrived and Kanye's own conception of his career seems to be really hyperbolic and almost manufactured at times. I think it's admirable that he's experimenting with alloying hip hop and the manners of high culture, but in the end I don't think Kanye, despite having generally well developed artistic instincts, really succeeds. There are some nicely done segments and some artfully arranged images, but Kanye lacks the conceptual vocabulary to make this "film" come together cleanly and when all is said and done it's rather self indulgent and juvenile.

That's not to say it's not cool, I got a kick out of it and I hope Kanye will continue to push the envelope.

Also kanye is kind of a wooden actor...

I think you're missing the point. Kanye is not attempting to make an art movie, he's trying to make an art movie that will get good ratings on MTV on a Saturday night. It's a fun short film that blends impressive visuals, good music and intentionally heavy handed messages to promote his album and show he's not quite as one dimensional as people would think he is. As he said, this film is his College Dropout of the visual world, showing people "hey, I CAN direct".

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Holy poo poo Lupe's verse on Don't Look Down is literally describing the last scene of Runaway.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Korak posted:

I also have to share this sentiment. Great concept terrible execution. Why was there a giant head of Michael Jackson? Because Kanye wanted it to be.

He really should have spent a few thousand on hiring someone to storyboard his ideas and rein them into something more akin to The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night rather than some horrific 80's avant garde movie produced by crazy Slovakians.

If you don't understand the symbolism behind something, it clearly doesn't have symbolism.

Thrust On Moore posted:

I also thought it was really weird to include 9 different songs in this video, and then call it "Runaway." I get that Runaway was the center-piece of the video, but the inclusion of the other songs really threw me off. It reminded me of student films that cram too much music into their movies because they want to show off their ~*amazing*~ taste.

The movie was originally just called the same thing as the album, but it was changed for promotional reasons. Kanye keeps on touching on why there are so many songs in the movie in interviews: he wants every song on his album to get some sort of visual representation even if it's not a single. He doesn't want the visual aspect of some songs to get lost because they aren't chosen as singles.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 24, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

haterade posted:

I'd have to say my favorite song in Runaway is either the first song or the last song but they're all really good so it's hard to tell

Dark Fantasy and Lost in the World were definitely standouts. I think Lost in the World is probably my favorite MBDTF-era song from Kanye.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

In "Kanye saying outrageous poo poo on twitter" news:

http://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/28670751925
http://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/28670703251

It's getting harder to defend his opinions as being part of some greater creative vision.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Jabe posted:

Agreed, but I'm not wrong. Let's just leave it. A "what is art debate" in a Kanye West thread on a comedy forum. Read that a few times. It's kinda funny.

I think it actually has a quite heavy handed message/meaning...

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Anyone else wander over to the Music section of Amazon and see this? I couldn't help but laugh a little.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

That tracklist is all but confirmed fake, btw.

Heard posted:

By the way, have any of you ever thought Kanye's music doesn't have good shelf life?

I listen to "Good Life", "Stronger", "Can't Tell Me Nothing", "Heard 'Em Say ft. Adam Levine", and it's dated! Those songs were hot for about six months. Now, forget about it.

Not at all. I still listen to CD and LR all the time, and Graduation slightly less so but still often.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I listened to All of the Lights but not Gorgeous (I've already heard most of it from the HOT97 "freestyle"). Honestly AotL is really cluttered and frantic and I don't really like it that much, but I'm sure it'll be a hit.

gently caress Fergie though.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

the Bunt posted:

All of the Lights is probably my favorite new track. I happen to love that there is so much going on the whole track.

but wait, is this leaked one the full-version that supposedly had 11 guests? If so I didn't hear this yet.

Yeah.

I enjoyed the earlier leaks but with Fergie and Elton John and Cudi and Rihanna it's just... too much.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

the Bunt posted:

I just heard it now, and I gotta agree. The Runaway version was probably my favorite

and what happened to Drake?!

Rumor is that he was never even on the song to begin with, and the leak with him was just an edit. It's a shame because Drake wouldn't have been bad on it.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Happyjuice posted:

I really don't like All of the Lights. Actually, during the 30 minute RUNAWAY feature-film I remember hearing that song and being like "gently caress...this is going to be all over the radio in the next 2 months"

but what is the first song that plays in that mini-movie....while hes driving the tatra mtx "fantasized about this back in chicago, mercy mercy me that murcielago"

???
has that leaked yet?

That song was Dark Fantasy. Only the movie rip version is floating around.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Interesting interview with Jay-Z about Watch The Throne.

Apparently him and Kanye were in the studio for 4 days and are almost finished. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

haterade posted:

DJ Premier confirms Mama's Boyfriend as a bonus track for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

http://www.vibe.com/video/dj-premier-says-kanye-collaboration-never-materialized-adds-last-minutes-scratches-mamas-boyfr

From what I've heard this isn't a confirmation, as much as "DJ Premiere talked about Mama's Boyfriend" and the rest is extrapolated from that unconfirmed tracklist that was making rounds around the internet.

Also, Kanye West was named the #1 celebrity Twitter by Pitchfork. In other news, Pitchfork is still a joke.

• Locked thread