Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Wachepti posted:

I thought the whole tour was postponed indefinitely.

That's what headlines like the Pitchfork article said, but then the actual article said it was just a few shows. Not sure where the dissonance there came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Kanye collaborating with Justin Vernon is the sort of thing that sounds like it would very likely be weird and awful, on paper, but I feel ended up working out amazingly well... on MBDTF. Hold My Liquor is another story entirely.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Only One video on http://www.kanyewest.com/

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

thathonkey posted:

Dang beck is only 44? He looked like a skeleton last night. So morning phase isnt that great? I was gonna give it a listen today because i generally like beck but i honesty had no idea he was still makin records :shrug: thanks grammy's!!!

Yeah I pretty much hate Morning Phase. Beck hasn't been doing much lately, though, which is probably what gave you that impression. His last record was Modern Guilt, which was out in '08 and while it didn't do anything really special I thought it was pretty solid. Between that and Morning Phase he just kind of did a bunch of weird side stuff, like producing a handful of albums for the likes of Charlotte Gainsbourg and Stephen Malkmus, writing the music that Scott Pilgrim's garage band plays in the Scott Pilgrim movie, and an album he released as a book of sheet music.

Ye's performances last night were golden.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

LionYeti posted:

I like Runaway more it's just so beautiful and heartbreaking that single piano note intro. And Pusha T's verse just playing the scummiest of scumbags.

I liked hearing Pusha talk about how he was just kinda writing the same old rap verse for it and Kanye kept pushing him in that direction, like "no man, you gotta be scummy, you gotta be the douchebag" and out comes "24/7, 365, pussy stays on my mind"

To Stalins Moustache, that album can be a hell of a gateway drug. Kanye's poo poo pretty much all owns

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
This is bad

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Kim apologized to us tho, and then a few hours ago Ye said it would be out "extremely extremely soon"

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I'm pretty pumped to finally get Wolves but I can't believe No More Parties In LA is something he deems worthy of putting on the album

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

The Good Friday songs that were on MBDTF were changed and upgraded for the Album version.

Those songs had a few extra months to cook, though, right? This is, like, two weeks before the album drops, and he's rushing last-minute to write bars on a plane to a fashion meeting, which reminds me more of what we heard about the creative process during Yeezus, which is an album I don't really like at all.

The song would be a bit better if it weren't six minutes long, but for me it just kind of meanders on too long. Real Friends is solid, though, and the SNL performance of Wolves is solid, so I wouldn't be surprised if the album is mediocre with some decent tracks, which for me is pretty much par for the course for post-MBDTF Kanye.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
It's pretty wild how good that beat is for Tyler while I don't feel like it works for Ye like in the slightest

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah I think Cherry Bomb is really good and it's kind of bizarre to me that someone would choose that as the album where his music sounds "super ugly." None of his albums are particularly great as albums but they all have great songs and I think he's really interesting as both a persona and a producer. Kanye fans dipping their toes in definitely need to check out Smuckers off of Cherry Bomb tho

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's been a couple of weeks and after originally loving the record, now I notice some flabby parts. The run of Feedback to Low Light to Highlights to Freestyle 4 to I Love Kanye is not great. That's a tough run right in the middle of the album. From there it's golden all the way out.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, and to me the tracklist he first posted with the Waves title is just a lot better in general, with regards to flow and everything. I do still have a really hard time tolerating No More Parties In LA, it's just super boring and way too long. I'll probably end up with an alternate 35 minute long tracklist that I think is pretty decent, which I guess is more than I could personally say for Yeezus.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Oh, wow, I didn't actually expect him to fix Wolves the way I really wanted him to, cool. I always really liked both of those parts on the SNL performance.

Edit: I do not like Kanye West Rapping on this album

obliriovrons fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 16, 2016

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

^burtle posted:

Did anyone ever ask Seth Rogen if Pablo was the album Kanye rapped him in the back of that van?

It's hard to feel bad for Seth Rogen after The Interview, but if anything will do it, it's the idea of him having to hear a bunch of a capella TLOP verses and pretend to like them.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Above link doesn't work now, it's here for now https://soundcloud.com/hiphophotspotxvx/kanye-west-saint-pablo-feat-sampha

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Also this album is way too long and a completely directionless mess the way it was released. For me personally it's way better at 35 minutes and sequenced in a way that makes any sense... mine is a lot closer to I think the second or third tracklist he posted, the first one with the Waves title. But even then it's a far cry from something I'd call "greatness," more like Kanye's decent & sixth best album

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

quiltyquilty posted:

What's the seventh?

Yeezus, which is bad

Hopefully he fixes his brain problems at some point soon, both because his art is suffering as a result AND because it will probably be bad for his children to have a coke-addicted mentally ill father, but hey we'll see

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Haha, those are not Kanye West albums

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I didn't realize Chance's verse wasn't in fact Kanye at first, their voices are really similar :shobon:

lol holy poo poo

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The mastering on the album is really questionable to begin with and then IIRC the Spotify version sounds really bad for some reason, if that happens to be where you're listening to it

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Well, the vinyl pops are obvious there and intentional and stop after four seconds.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
It already is that and the distorted autotune part of Runaway ("talkbox solo" lol) is great

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Paperback Writer posted:

this makes me sad. Lots of people getting robbed of a really amazing show in what I feel is the prime of his career musically.

It's 2016 not 2010

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The rest of the tour has been canceled

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
And now he's been hospitalized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

He had one 0f the best albums of the year.

The year 2010?

• Locked thread