Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Interesting photo floating around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

MINT WIZARD posted:

I hope it's good rear end job, I've always liked that for an album name.

Oh poo poo, I miscounted.
Great rear end Job?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
http://wp.me/pUq7A-edj

Two new clips from the new album. Sounds weird and dark as hell.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh, okay. Well that's great news! Are there any guest stars on this track?

Kanye's been totally silent on features for the album in general, but it sounds like the new track is produced by Hudson Mohawke.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Not sure about the singing at the end, but everything else sounds great. I hope an official version comes out soon.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

atrus50 posted:

It's justin vernon singing at the end supposedly.

Sounds like it's Frank Ocean.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The new album is seriously titled Yeezus :laffo:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, "Black Skinhead" loving slays :stonk:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That's a fake tracklist that got circulated a few days ago.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
If anyone was wondering, this is the song being sampled:

Ponderosa Twins Plus One - "Bound"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rumor has it that I Am A God was produced by Daft Punk.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
There are a bunch of videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EAZ625

The one with the guitar solo sounds absolutely insane.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I Am A God is loving insanity :stonk:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Paperback Writer posted:

What motown song is Bound 2 sampling? I really like it.

"Bound" by the Ponderosa Twins Plus One.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

So It Goes posted:

I for one liked 808s significantly more than Yeezus. A little surprised by the overall positive reception it seems to be initially getting, I thought for the sure the album would at least be very divisive. I guess house-style music just isn't for me, I really do miss College Dropout Kanye, oh well.

I'd say it's been really divisive. While I really love the album, pretty much everyone I know (including some people who like extreme stuff like Death Grips) don't know what to make of it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's a mixtape up on P4k that has the supposed samples from the album and lists Marilyn Manson as a sample on Black Skinheads. I can hear the influence but is it an actual sample? Wouldn't it be in the album credits somewhere?
According to the album credits, Black Skinhead doesn't use any samples.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Can of Cloud posted:

So, those who have listened to both Yeezy and Hova's new albums. Which is better? Yeezus or Magna Carta ... Holy Grail?
Yeezus by a country mile. Even at its worst moments, Yeezus is more passionate and interesting than MCHG at its best. HCMG isn't awful but it doesn't feel like Jay put any effort into it at all.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

So I see Wikipedia now has Kanye West listed as the "lead" (well, he is listed first) producer on every single track on Yeezus. Originally there was some confusion about how much he had to do with the production. Has that been cleared up now that the official liner notes are out?
Going from this interview, it sounds like Kanye had a lot of co-producers coming in with the general ideas for the album, but he was very hands-on with shaping and finalizing the actual production.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Paperback Writer posted:

Kanye flipped out about the leaked video being fake whennn... it wasn't.

He got really mad that you couldn't take snapshots of his poorly rendered CG abs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Kanye is planning a Yeezus remix EP, which will include the long awaited Miley Cyrus remix of "Black Skinhead" :pwn:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone know what prompted Kanye to do this?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Holy loving poo poo Ye is out for blood

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/4,3379.html?nav=kanye

This T-shirt makes Yeezus unlistenable for me. You either get to make a commentary on race and consumer culture or you get to sell a plain white t-shirt for $120. :colbert:

I dunno, a $120 plain white T-shirt (called the "Hip-Hop" T-shirt, no less) that he knows will sell out because people will rush out and buy anything with his name attached seems like a pretty brilliant satire of consumerism to me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Serious question, why are so many people (both fans and haters) weirdly overcomplicating the 300 line? Does it not occur to people that it isn't Kanye being stupid enough to get a popular movie reference blatantly wrong or an obscure slang thing, but just a throwaway line that Kanye thought was funny because it was wrong? It's really that simple and it baffles me that no one seems to think this.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Charlamagne came off to me as pretty irritating, mostly because he sounds like one of those insufferable "REAL hip-hop" types that hate anything that isn't exactly like the type of hip-hop they grew up listening to. Kind of found it funny how he kept trying to rile up Kanye by telling him his album sucked and Kanye was too caught up in his rambling monologue to even notice him.

My favorite part of the interview is how Kanye goes off onto a weird-rear end tangent about Adam and Eve God making nudity illegal, and then repeats it again, irritated, like it makes all the sense in the world and everyone in the room is too dense to get it, when the interviewers have no idea what he's talking about. It feels like a brief window into Kanye's thought processes that only make sense to Kanye.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

Every single track on Watch The Throne is incredible and almost every track on Cruel Summer is. Luxury Rap, the Hermes of Verses.

Made In America

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
For people complaining that the album doesn't have any lyrical substance to it, I feel like they're missing a huge theme of the album: Yeezus isn't about political bullshit or croissants or whatever, it's about the stress of becoming a married father. The lyrical themes of the album make more sense when you picture Yeezus as Kanye's wild, hosed up bachelor party before getting married to Kim, and his fears about giving up open sex/drugs/parties and starting up a family. Here's my analysis:

On Sight: Not really part of the album's narrative, but more a short "manifesto" for what the album is about (Kanye has pretty much said that this was the intent from interviews). Loud, abrasive synths, and lots of tasteless sex. Most telling is the College Dropout-esque sample outright telling the audience "He'll give us what we need, it may not be what we want", referring to the sound of the record.

Black Skinhead: The first half of Yeezus is about Kanye's state of mind, mostly his insecurities and paranoia, and the pressures of fame. The next three songs have this big sense of claustrophobia to them. In this case, his paranoia of people's perceptions of him ("Middle America", "Catholics", "Conservative Baptists"), his personality, his politics, and his relationship with Kim ("They see a black man with a white woman at the top floor they gone come to kill King Kong"). The incorrect historical references ("keep it 300 like the Romans", "burn this poo poo down like the theater Hitler was trapped in") continue the theme of Kanye viewing people's perceptions of him as incorrect.

I Am A God: No idea why people think this song is about Ye being an arrogant douche. The oppressive beat and terrified screaming are not the products of someone satisfied with themselves. The production takes the song from Kanye arrogantly proclaiming "I am a god!" to Kanye desperate in the mirror, telling himself "I am a god..."

New Slaves: More paranoia, this time at the idea that everyone and everything is conspiring to hold Kanye back. From the fashion industry to his label to the media to White America to the government, Kanye feels assaulted on all sides and defensive ("I'll move my family out the country so you can't see where they stay"). It doesn't matter if these political statements are true or shallow or hypocritical, it's not about that. It's about Kanye's personal worldview. The soaring outro (itself a response to Part 1 of the album, with Kanye saying he'll proving everyone wrong and he can't lose, etc. etc.) represents a shift in the album from Kanye's inner turmoil (all tracks conveniently produced by Daft Punk), to Kanye's outer turmoil with relationships and addictions. Part 2 of Yeezus begins.

Hold My Liquor: The first appearance of his conflict between a stable relationship and his addictions to drugs and sex. In this case, alcoholism derailing a relationship. Note the cyclical format of Kanye's one verse. It sounds repetitive and ends exactly where it began, signifying an inability to kick his habits.

I'm In It: Kanye's other vice: an addiction to open, consequence-free sex. He's trying to transition into a monogamous relationship, but can't help himself to shallow sexual encounters. The line "got the kids-and-the-wife life but can't wake up from the nightlife" sums up the theme of the record pretty well.

Blood on the Leaves: A cautionary tale, based on a friend's experiences with a relationship fueled by drugs that has left its honeymoon period and has turned into an ugly divorce and custody battle. The constant, in-poor-taste racial references in this and I'm In It tie into the racial paranoia introduced in New Slaves. Are Kanye's issues regarding sex and his personal life based on or comparable to racism? Probably not, but to Kanye it is and that's all that matters.

Guilt Trip: Presumably after an engagement, Kanye gets cold feet about marriage ("I need to call it off"). The song has him blaming himself for the distance between him and a lover, thinking that the marriage has already disintegrated before it has even begun. Notably, the girl in the relationship (Kim?) never seems to openly express any issues with the relationship, possibly meaning that it's all in Kanye's head, and that his own paranoia and insecurity is sabotaging a perfectly fine relationship with his fiancee.

Send It Up: The album's ignorant "club track". But why is it stuck near the end of the album, surrounded by songs like Guilt Trip, Blood On The Leaves, and Bound 2? It represents the climax of the album, Kanye's emotional turning point. The one guest verse on the album is important, with the juxtaposition of King L (a young, vibrant individual representative of Chicago's youth, and the violence and poverty in the slums) and Kanye (an wealthy old man by hip-hop standards, with an established career, heading into a peaceful marriage) showing how Ye is an old man trying to cling on to the last shreds of his youth, accentuated by Kanye's half-hearted lyrics about the club. The intro/outro by Beenie Man is on the topics of memory and letting go of the past. Kanye realizes that he needs to move on from this period in his life and commit to Kim. This leads us to...

Bound 2: The epilogue of the album, flash-forwarding us to Kanye's relationship with Kim in progress. He's ambivalent towards it; it's not perfect, but it's not a BOTL-level disaster either and he's committed to making it work. A sequel to the original song "Bound" that it samples, the way the "Bound" sample (and the Charlie Wilson hook) is cut off by a coy "uh huh, honey" is representative of how Kanye/Kim's relationship seems to slide back and forth between happiness and disappointment. The only song featuring Kanye committing himself to the family life is the most subdued, easy-going track on the album, and a return to his pre-808s sound, arguably the last time he was fully happy with his life and wasn't stressing out over his mom/America hating him/bad breakups/etc.

In the end, Yeezus is a narrative of Christ's resurrection, filtered and warped through Kanye's egotistical and paranoid mindset. He is beloved, until he makes deliberate career/life choices that causes his followers and allies to turn on him. In this case, an abrupt and polarizing new sound that angers the populace, a sound that he believes he must be the cross-bearer for so that it may become popular in the mainstream. He goes through the wringer as he is crucified by others for his decisions. Yeezus returns, more confident than ever, with the sound people wanted from him all along, in Bound 2. (Interestingly enough, the final line Kanye says before Bound 2 begins is "Yeezus just rose again".) Tellingly, Ye has said that his next album will be lighter in tone and influenced by a more classic hip-hop sound.

Sorry to get all SMG on your asses, but I'm really tired of people saying that Kanye threw this album together without any thought towards themes or narrative.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That entire article is discredited by trying to pass off the idea that anyone thought the last MGMT album was underrated. There is no rating that is below that piece of poo poo.

I liked that album :colbert:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

He has a bunch of stuff left over from Yeezus, right?

According to Kanye, the new album is probably going to be completely different from Yeezus (and only 8 tracks long).

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's not real. People keep making remixes of that lovely leak of the song and claiming it's the real deal. I'm not even sure if it'll make the album at this point.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Didn't see it posted here, so here's a new track with Sia and Vic Mensa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYaLzRDyIA

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think if that had been trimmed to like a minute or two long intro track (including Sia's part) which then led right into the second track which features Ye spitting some mad rhymes, it could've been powerful as gently caress. But in this form, it sounds way overlong and I keep wanting to hear it leading to something much more powerful (which it sounds like it obviously should) but it never does.

I feel like this is probably going to be killer as an album opener, leading into whatever track 2 is. I wish there were more drums, but I really love the sparse, eerie atmosphere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

bubblelubble posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that it would appear on both of their albums, but idk how legit that article was. Let's just say I wouldn't have mentioned it if it was sketchy or anything

I've heard some people say that, but I really doubt that it'll end up being on the album. Kanye seems to be treating the song as a Rihanna single, and I definitely don't see it fitting on the same album as Wolves or All Day.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's fake you guys

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

atrus50 posted:

https://vid.me/Rx1O will probably be down soon. "feel that" is probably the most depressing thing ye's ever done

Are you alright Kanye :smith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This song is super old and got rejected from Yeezus for a reason. Still not the best Kanye leak though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsFd-QksEY

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
TPAB is an instant classic and the best album of the century even though I don't remember what half the tracks sound like and I haven't listened to it in months

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

I have no idea if you are joking or not but minus the album of the century part I think this is how I feel. What a weird loving phenomena of an album.

Not being serious at all but I think the reason for those comments is because TPAB has all the hallmarks and appearances of a "classic album" without really having the substance to back it up. I think that once you strip away all the fancy concepts and dazzling gimmicks, you have a middling conscious rap album that has been executed better by other artists recently. IMO Kendrick isn't that insightful when it comes to politics and I feel like he massively underutilized his stable of talent on this one. It baffles me that people are calling it better than MBDTF.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ICHIBAHN posted:

Who would this be?

Only asking because I want some more Kendrick sounding stuff, not as a dig at your post.

In terms of sound, I think Flying Lotus, Kamasi Washington (who played horns on TPAB), and D'Angelo pull the style of music off way better on their recent albums. I also thought that Tetsuo & Youth, Undun, and RAP Music are way more interesting in terms of conscious lyricism and storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm not saying that Kendrick's album doesn't have substance, I just feel like he doesn't have enough substance there to justify the album's presentation as this grand, epic generation-defining statement (complete with a totally unearned and tacky Tupac outro). When you get down to the core of what he's saying, a lot of it is either really simple, basic motivational poster poo poo ("You gotta believe in yourself! Hang in there!"), patronizing oversimplifications of the issues ("The black community has problems because people have really bad self-esteem and bring others down"), or statements that are just flat-out wrong ("Hundreds of years of structural inequality in a white supremacist state sucks, BUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME IS JUST AS BAD Y'ALL"). He also strays away from the personal storytelling that worked on GKMC to go with some really hacky, cliche conceptual tracks ("You thought this song was about a woman, but it's actually about hip-hop! This girl named Lucy is tempting me, but Lucy is actually the devil! I was mean to a homeless man but it turns out he was actually God and now I can't go to heaven, oh no!"). I feel like I wouldn't be as hard on this stuff if it didn't feel like the album was super impressed with itself and what it had to say.

I don't think the album is awful or anything; I really like the idea of TPAB on paper and there are plenty of great moments. I just don't feel like the execution always matches up to the album's potential.

• Locked thread