Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kanya Donda Kardashian West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Only thing I wish was different is his vocal delivery on New Slaves. He should have done a take more like he did on SNL. The way the anger builds through that last verse makes the album delivery so lackluster.

Other than that, the album's perfect.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Did anybody bring up the fact that the soul loop and the electro flip places in On Sight and Bound 2?

It's interesting since On Sight is him embracing that bravado he's been hiding in for years to the point of being obnoxious while Bound 2 is an attempt at the polar opposite...until that electro chorus pops in. Second verse he's backsliding into his old ways. An even longer electro chorus. Third verse is a simple pop reference confirming the fantasy's over before the song cuts out.

Makes the whole album have a much more bleak tone. Embrace it. Don't embrace it. Fight it. Don't fight it. There's no control when it comes to that darker aspect of his personality.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I AM BRAWW posted:

hahahah, this might not really have anything to do with the thread, but it has to do with kanye

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhF8u4crosR8LzC6C2

poor yeezus, always getting poo poo on for everything/anything he does.

Wearing a hoodie. Attacking a white guy who's provoking him...

This is a subtle piece of performance art in honor of Travon.

Kanye GOAT

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sad face? How do you expect him to perform without his 60-ft circular LED screen?!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SgtScruffy posted:

This is either wanky overanalysis, or proof that Kanye is an absolute genius, and either way I love you for it.

Remember how everybody said that I Am A God was more a self-doubt thing and it was being said like Kayne looking into the mirror trying to hype himself up...and in a later interview, he just said "hey, people can call themselves all sorts of things. why can't I call myself a god? that's what I felt like at the time"

Some times, you just have to take things as presented.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's not really a contradiction, though. Through his music he can express stuff about himself without fully realizing it.

Also what he says in interviews is as subject to interpretation as what he says on the album itself.

If Kanye is such a smart, calculating, guy...why wouldn't you take what he said about I Am A God as him taking the trend of 'people saying they feel like something they aren't' to it's most absurd conclusion instead of

HorseRenoir posted:

I Am A God: No idea why people think this song is about Ye being an arrogant douche. The oppressive beat and terrified screaming are not the products of someone satisfied with themselves. The production takes the song from Kanye arrogantly proclaiming "I am a god!" to Kanye desperate in the mirror, telling himself "I am a god..."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mistermojo posted:

Kanye please stop http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/02/arts/music/kanye-west-life-pablo-tidal-streams.html

Def Jam, Mr. West’s label and a subsidiary of Universal Music Group, said in a statement: “In the months to come, Kanye will release new updates, new versions and new iterations of the album,” calling it a “continuous process.”

This quote was in the Tidal newsletter.

quote:

“Woe to you the day it is said that you are finished! To finish a work? To finish a picture? What nonsense! To finish it means to be through with it, to kill it, to rid it of its soul – to give it its final blow; the most unfortunate one for the painter as well as for the picture.” – Pablo Picasso

http://read.tidal.com/article/kanye...7ad3e-196561645

So I look forward to Kanye working on this album forever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I've messing around with the tracklist and found this flowed pretty good. Besides missing something between Freestyle 4 and Low Lights.

Father Stretch My Hands
Pt. 2
Feedback
Highlights
No More Parties In LA
Freestyle 4
Low Lights
FML
Ultralight Beam
Real Friends
Waves
Frank's Track
Only One

Also loving this image that was up on Tidal.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

abraham linksys posted:

e: okay i'm poking at this album in spotify and this is a real fuckin kobayashi maru of album sequencing. i think i'd have to bust out audacity and chop some poo poo up to make any of this work better than it did originally. i can see why he gave up and just went with the bonus track structure, even if it relegated fade and no more parties to bonus status

It really is. Some of the best tracks (All Day, Facts, 30 Hours) don't really fit the theme. This tracklist almost works if you cut the first 14 seconds off of No More Parties.

Father Stretch My Hands Pt 1 - Pt. 2 - Feedback - Highlights - No More Parties In LA - Freestyle 4 - Saint Pablo - FML - Ultralight Beam - Real Friends - Waves - Frank's Track - Only One

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

What's the chances they find Kanye dead in an elevator sometime soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The video is even weirder. http://www.newsweek.com/kanye-west-donald-trump-meeting-531586

• Locked thread