Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous was pretty good even if it's a prequel novel.

I was skeptical about a Yoda novel but it's done pretty well honestly. It makes Dooku pretty sympathetic.

Is this the book where Dooku tries to get Yoda to turn to the dark side, Yoda does for a fraction of a second and Dooku shits himself because he realises how evil a 900 year old master would be like?

For books the 'RotS trilogy' (Labyrinth of evil, RotS novel and rise of the dark lord) is worth a read. Death star isn't bad either.

Edit: Darth Maul's brother link: http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/111/1112465p1.html

savaage :ughh:

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

Mister_Eel posted:

Please, for the love of God, tell me you are joking.

I'm barely hanging in here as a Star Wars fan.

Nope. The males of his race live on one half of a planet, and females of Asajj's race live on the other half. Like a middle school dance I think.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Is there a reason why a duel between force-users of both the Light and Dark side doesn't degenerate into Darth rear end in a top hat using force grip on the sensei's testicles?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Is there a reason why a duel between force-users of both the Light and Dark side doesn't degenerate into Darth rear end in a top hat using force grip on the sensei's testicles?

IIRC, some book had a character bring up the subject of using the force to destroy someone's saber and the response they received was Jedi and Sith protect it with the force. Only saber blows can gently caress it up. I assume the same applies to the family jewels.

Muppetjedi posted:

Edit: Darth Maul's brother link: http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/111/1112465p1.html

Well that completely shits all over both Maul and Ventress's backstories. They're not even the same species. :psyduck:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 15, 2010

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Where do the NPR radio dramas fit in with canon?

They were pretty drat awesome, as I recall.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I kind of like that they sort of bother to bring in Dathomir and it even -- sort of -- sounds like it works for the characters, but how lame is it that they don't have the creativity to do something new that doesn't contradict previous works?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Where do the NPR radio dramas fit in with canon?

They were pretty drat awesome, as I recall.

There is a new classification of Canon called Pretty drat Awesome Canon (PDA-Canon) that overwrites the other levels of canon.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I was watching the RLM review of Episode II again, and it hit me: When Anakin formally turns to the dark side in RotS he tells Palpatine "I will do whatever you ask."

Which is exactly what he says to Padme in the "S&M fireplace scene" in Clones.

He even says it in that same whiny, pleading way.

So it seems entirely plausible that Lucas really wanted these films to be homoerotic as hell, which I guess says something for him if it wasn't a total clueless accident.

I thought this was a pretty neat find and I posted it right before the last thread closed, so here ya go.

Films like this, and people got worked up over Mando gay marriage?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Muppetjedi posted:

Is this the book where Dooku tries to get Yoda to turn to the dark side, Yoda does for a fraction of a second and Dooku shits himself because he realises how evil a 900 year old master would be like?

I think so, I know in the book Yoda hints that he had been tempted before...

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dave Filoni posted:

That's always a very good day. 'Oh, not Jar-Jar today? Oh, very good!'

Put this is the OP.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

modestduty posted:

I won't post a link but it's the first one that comes up.

"The legendary, stunning and brilliant SuperShadow.com..."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderjelly posted:

What's the deal with Starkiller?

He's hilarious. He is exactly a fanfiction character written by a 9 year old Dragonball Z fan. He basically embodies the entire goofy-rear end EU in one silly character.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I love a new Star Wars thread. The only thing the OP is missing is the History of the EU.jpg series.

Current EU.jpg
Maulkiller, The Clone mix of Darth Maul and Starkiller.

Also the thread title is the best.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Muppetjedi posted:

For books the 'RotS trilogy' (Labyrinth of evil, RotS novel and rise of the dark lord) is worth a read. Death star isn't bad either.

I'm not sure why they even pretend to have continuity at this point if they're just going to bulldoze everything. That article was pretty brutal.

twice burned ice posted:

Star Wars. Lol.

Yeppp. :sigh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yes, because a gamestop preorder skin is indicative of the entire EU.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes, because a gamestop preorder skin is indicative of the entire EU.

Its not far off these days.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I preordered specifically to get Maulkiller. It's so goddamn ludicrous that I can't help but love it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

We get him instead of new Kyle Katarn games. :colbert:

This. It's been eons since I played those games and I still bask in memories of cutting Imperial officers' hands off! What happened?!

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This. It's been eons since I played those games and I still bask in memories of cutting Imperial officers' hands off! What happened?!

Just wait until the next over the top protaganist comes. There will be a whole new generation of us wondering where our old Starkiller went and looking back on the good times we had bringing down star destroyers and tossing around rancors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's an actual Star Wars question, I'm watching Empire on Spike right now and what exactly falls from Luke when he hits the bottom of Cloud City? You see something going down into the clouds but I couldn't tell what it was.

Pointblank`
Sep 20, 2003

hey its okay to eat our buildings

muscles like this? posted:

Here's an actual Star Wars question, I'm watching Empire on Spike right now and what exactly falls from Luke when he hits the bottom of Cloud City? You see something going down into the clouds but I couldn't tell what it was.

his hand

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

It's not his hand, some crazy scientist got a hold of it and made Luuke with that. I've always thought it was a piece of ripped cloth from his clothing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
This guy was telling me there was a comic where darth maul actually isn't dead and comes back to Tatooine to kill Obi and he has MECHANICAL KANGAROO LEGS. I can't loving find this anywhere and it sound too stupid not to read. Local comic book guy didn't have a clue. Is this a thing?

Also, I have like literal days of driving ahead of me... this is kind of obscure but can anyone recommend a well read star wars audio book of a well written star wars book?

abiogenesis
Feb 4, 2009
I always thought that was when he loses his lightsaber, and you see it fall.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This guy was telling me there was a comic where darth maul actually isn't dead and comes back to Tatooine to kill Obi and he has MECHANICAL KANGAROO LEGS. I can't loving find this anywhere and it sound too stupid not to read. Local comic book guy didn't have a clue. Is this a thing?

Also, I have like literal days of driving ahead of me... this is kind of obscure but can anyone recommend a well read star wars audio book of a well written star wars book?

Wookieepedia to the rescue again. Apparently the comic is called "Old Wounds."

Fantastic!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

DorianGravy posted:

Wookieepedia to the rescue again. Apparently the comic is called "Old Wounds."

Fantastic!

I like how his horns got bigger to compensate for losing his junk (Thanks a lot DorianGravy, I really appreciate it).

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I like how his horns got bigger to compensate for losing his junk (Thanks a lot DorianGravy, I really appreciate it).

It's like poetry. :downs:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

No prob, Harvey.

Hey, while we're on the subject of ridiculous villains, could someone post a picture of that guy with the lightsabers on his knees and elbows? What was the deal with that guy anyway? Is he the most ridiculous villain in the EU, or are there others?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren

I found him by searching for "covered in lightsabers"

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Cross-Section posted:

For those who missed it in the last thread, here's the Return of the Jedi deleted scene shown at Celebration 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc

Whats going on in this video? I'm not a :havlat:STAR WARS NERD:havlat: so I don't really see the significance of this scene an why the people were cheering. Also what part of the movie should this go in?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

DorianGravy posted:

No prob, Harvey.

Hey, while we're on the subject of ridiculous villains, could someone post a picture of that guy with the lightsabers on his knees and elbows? What was the deal with that guy anyway? Is he the most ridiculous villain in the EU, or are there others?

Star Wars has some pretty retarded Villains that'd put the silver age comics to shame. My favourites Trioculus.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ziir posted:

Whats going on in this video? I'm not a :havlat:STAR WARS NERD:havlat: so I don't really see the significance of this scene an why the people were cheering. Also what part of the movie should this go in?

It's a deleted scene from the beginning of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. I'm guessing everyone was cheering because it had never before been released to public eyes.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Ziir posted:

It just shows that Star Wars geeks get boners over anything left on the cutting room floor.
It's Luke dicking around with with lightsaber before putting it into R2D2 and sending him off to Jabba.
It's best the scene was cut as Luke just strolling up to Jabba's was a better reveal, and it totally ruins that R2 is hiding the lightsaber.
The scene is so pointless I'm amazed Jeorge didn't put it back in.
He couldn't fit a dinobutt in the cave I guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think a section needs to be added to the op listing all of the most ridiculous things in the EU that are always brought up that are, in fact, infinities.

Start with the Darth Maul reborn comic and work from there.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Ziir posted:

I thought it was cool because Luke looks like a psycho junior Emperor

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves
Am I the only one that didn't like the shift of Kyle Katarn, from Dark Forces to Jedi Knight? I liked him much more as a simple mercenary, that and he looks a heck of a lot older in the first game compared to any of his "official" images.

Edit: For EU I would like to bring this downer back.

quote:

It has been a while since I looked through this thread but I don't remember it being mentioned (in this one at least).

Remember how pretty much everyone has a backstory in the universe? No matter how much time they have on screen? How about they are usually good, and want to be / are a rebel?

Well this one doesn't actually have a name, surprising, but he does have a wookeepedia entry and a small comic story

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_501st_stormtrooper
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trooper_(comic)

Yup, the trooper that gets shot be Leia has a backstory, about how his father was a good man but was gunned down by an imperial officer, how he shoots a civilian in the crowd on the orders of the same imperial officer (so he can leave his crummy planet). He plans to quit the Empire if he can just survive this last mission. He doesn't want to be the first one to assault the Tantive IV because the first one in always dies and none of their equipment ever works right. It does work out for him though until he pauses because of Leia's beauty and gets shot dead.

The trooper that shoots Leia has his own entry too and gets a name, kinda.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DV-692

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 15, 2010

Sithalchemist
Dec 31, 2007
Don't cross the streams...the results could be bad

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Vector was terrible and every series suffered because of it. Why wouldn't you want to undo it?

I'm curious why there's so much hate for Vector. I thought it was an interesting idea bridging the four comic series that were occurring at the time. Sure, it was a stretch and there were some weak spots, but overall I'd say it was a nice little gimmick that had not been tried in Star Wars comics before. So, I'm interested to understand the reasoning behind the negative reviews.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

AcridWhistle posted:

Am I the only one that didn't like the shift of Kyle Katarn, from Dark Forces to Jedi Knight? I liked him much more as a simple mercenary, that and he looks a heck of a lot older in the first game compared to any of his "official" images.

It wasn't until the last thread that I realized the guy in the Jedi Knight games was supposed to be the guy from Dark Forces (I only played the first game, obviously)
The main reason I liked it was because you played as just a badass mercenary, not some lost secret Jedi, or whatever.

It's like Han Solo becoming a Jedi...
Please tell me this hasn't happened :ohdear:

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It's not his hand, some crazy scientist got a hold of it and made Luuke with that. I've always thought it was a piece of ripped cloth from his clothing.
That book was written over a decade later. It's his hand and saber.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

sickinwyoming posted:

It's like Han Solo becoming a Jedi...
Please tell me this hasn't happened :ohdear:
According to wookieepedia he isn't force sensitive at all.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
When I hear the voice of James Earl Jones asking his son to join him on the Dark Side, the way he holds out the "u" makes me think he's calling for Luuke Skywalker. Then I get sad because I remember there was a character named Luuke Skywalker.