Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Chairman Capone posted:

At the very least it couldn't be a worse take than the "many Bothans" dying being a few crewmembers on a single ship.

It's funny how deeply "Bothans" and "Death Star plans" are in people's minds, I remember when the plot of Rogue One was announced, so many people were wondering who the Bothans would be played by.

I think it’s memorable just how it’s so unintentionally comedic because of how out of place and weird the line is.

Like Mothma namedrops “Bothans” in explaining how we got the plans, and instead of leaving it at that she later solemnly drops the “Many Bothans died” line and the camera lingers on her for effect.

Problem is, there is no effect because the audience has no idea what the gently caress a Bothan is and it ultimately doesn’t matter, and the end result is just off putting and confusing and kind of humorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hazo posted:

I think it’s memorable just how it’s so unintentionally comedic because of how out of place and weird the line is.

Like Mothma namedrops “Bothans” in explaining how we got the plans, and instead of leaving it at that she later solemnly drops the “Many Bothans died” line and the camera lingers on her for effect.

Problem is, there is no effect because the audience has no idea what the gently caress a Bothan is and it ultimately doesn’t matter, and the end result is just off putting and confusing and kind of humorous.

I think the vagueness of it actually helps. The audience knows what happened to the last planet involved in stealing death star plans, it got vaporized. So the way the line is presented makes the audience go "Oh drat something horrible has happened."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

At one point it seems like a Bothan-like character was intended to be part of the Rogue One crew:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
As I kid, I always assumed a Bothan was some sort of elite soldier - like saying "Many SEALs died to get this information."

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

McTimmy posted:

The Kuat of Kuat from Kuat that hosted the Kuat Drive Yards?!

Does anyone have the old backstab charts? I was trying to find them the other day.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

i81icu812 posted:

Does anyone have the old backstab charts? I was trying to find them the other day.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't get how Ob Fortuna managed to backstab himself, or what the True Guild apparently did that qualifies as backstabbing itself both ways, but I love it!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Slashrat posted:

I don't get how Ob Fortuna managed to backstab himself, or what the True Guild apparently did that qualifies as backstabbing itself both ways, but I love it!

For what I remember (oh god how) Ob killed himself and the True Guild self-destructed once Bossk bossked the Reform Guild.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

my personal favorite is the one where bossk betrays both boba fett and himself

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's a shame that we didn't get Colin Treverrow's episode 9, since it was going to include both Bossk and Kuat in it.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

God bless you

Man this thing is not looking great with the jpg artifacting.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Jazerus posted:

my personal favorite is the one where bossk betrays both boba fett and himself

Bossk is just in it for the love of the game

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

It's a shame that we didn't get Colin Treverrow's episode 9, since it was going to include both Bossk and Kuat in it.

Wait, what?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Somebody should clean up that chart and consolidate all the duplicates. It's always bothered me that the same entity can be represented multiple times. Show us the full snarl!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Theatrical Motion Picture Character, Kuat of Kuat

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
An episode of Detours has leaked.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1332978308976295936
David Prowse died :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Is it still happening or is this the unaired pilot?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it still happening or is this the unaired pilot?

AFAIK, the show was complete, but Disney decided not to air it as they thought a comedic interpretation of the characters would undermine people's views of the (then unreleased) sequels.

I'm suspecting this is an orchestrated leak to drum up interest. It probably would'nt cost them much to just slap it on Disney+, maybe just a few final touch-ups, but they may want to see if there's any call for it before they spend the money.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Chairman Capone posted:

Creepy cyborg Dengar for 2 seconds is just as good :v:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I do enjoy the "which is Zuckuss and which is 4-LOM" gag.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Pops Mgee posted:

Creepy cyborg Dengar for 2 seconds is just as good :v:

Rothgar Deng? 🤔

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what?

If you haven't read the script online, it's worth tracking down just to see a glimpse at a "what-if" (which never would have happened anyway, given that it was written before Carrie Fisher died). It's packed with Bantam-era EU references.

It might not have been a better movie than the IX we got (I think the first half of the script is stronger, and then the back half is underbaked) but I do think it would have been a more interesting movie. And I say this as someone who has never really liked Treverrow starting from Safety Not Guaranteed.

Still a lot of really dumb stuff in it, though. Rey and Poe are the main romantic couple, and their climax is Rey using a Jedi Mind Trick to force a crying Poe to leave her as she kisses him, so she can go off and fight Kylo Ren. But I do like that the climax of the movie is set on Coruscant, and involves Finn leading a revolution of the oppressed everyday citizens in the undercity who are just so tired of all these star wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There was also some weirdness in the DotF script regarding Ben being responsible for the death of Rey's parents which doesn't really square with the fact that he would have been like...10 years old around the time that Rey was left on Jakku. DotF given another few passes on stuff like that, and actually paying off the Rey/Ben connection (hell, you could even keep Rey/Poe as some kind of "Rey tries out that relationship in an attempt to deny her connection to Ben" thing) and it would have almost certainly been a better film than TRoS. Finn leading an uprising is 100% where his character arc was pointed after TLJ, though I'd argue a stormtrooper rebellion was more on-theme than a citizen's uprising, and involving Coruscant/the old Jedi Temple/etc thematically links back to the Prequel Trilogy, which as it stands is completely ignored by TRoS.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Finn not going on to lead to a stormtrooper uprising is one of those big, glaringly-obvious story arcs that I can't believe the sequels waffled on, after TFA (and to a lesser extent TLJ) set that up for him so well.

Though honestly the big thing I really wanted to see in the sequels was Anakin's ghost appearing to Luke. Still very miffed at not seeing that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, Finn not going on to lead to a stormtrooper uprising is one of those big, glaringly-obvious story arcs that I can't believe the sequels waffled on, after TFA (and to a lesser extent TLJ) set that up for him so well.

Though honestly the big thing I really wanted to see in the sequels was Anakin's ghost appearing to Luke. Still very miffed at not seeing that.

It is hard for me to think of a central character in a big movie franchise who got screwed as hard as Finn did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Anakin's ghost appearing to Ben would have made much more sense - especially with the reveal that the voice of "Vader" in his head was actually Palpatine loving with him.

ImpAtom posted:

It is hard for me to think of a central character in a big movie franchise who got screwed as hard as Finn did.

TRoS reducing him to running around screaming Rey's name a bunch is just so bombastically cruel. Boyega definitely didn't like being separated from Ridley and Isaac, and having his arc in TLJ being more emotional than action packed...but to "correct" that by just having him run around with a blaster and shouting a bunch is just sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Anakin's ghost appearing to Ben would have made much more sense - especially with the reveal that the voice of "Vader" in his head was actually Palpatine loving with him.

TRoS reducing him to running around screaming Rey's name a bunch is just so bombastically cruel. Boyega definitely didn't like being separated from Ridley and Isaac, and having his arc in TLJ being more emotional than action packed...but to "correct" that by just having him run around with a blaster and shouting a bunch is just sad.

I 'enjoyed' his RotS arc of "I am a Jedi but I'm not ever going to be allowed to say this onscreen at any given time nor show it, but instead will act in a way that makes everyone assume that Finn is trying to tell Rey he loves her."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

I 'enjoyed' his RotS arc of "I am a Jedi but I'm not ever going to be allowed to say this onscreen at any given time nor show it, but instead will act in a way that makes everyone assume that Finn is trying to tell Rey he loves her."

I wish I could enjoy "Finn is force sensitive" but the implication of it all (especially with the conversation with Jannah) seems to just cement the idea that only force sensitives are worth anything at all, and if you don't luck out and get the godwhisper in your ear, you're doomed to be cannon fodder

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 30, 2020

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Chairman Capone posted:

If you haven't read the script online, it's worth tracking down just to see a glimpse at a "what-if" (which never would have happened anyway, given that it was written before Carrie Fisher died). It's packed with Bantam-era EU references.

It might not have been a better movie than the IX we got (I think the first half of the script is stronger, and then the back half is underbaked) but I do think it would have been a more interesting movie. And I say this as someone who has never really liked Treverrow starting from Safety Not Guaranteed.

Still a lot of really dumb stuff in it, though. Rey and Poe are the main romantic couple, and their climax is Rey using a Jedi Mind Trick to force a crying Poe to leave her as she kisses him, so she can go off and fight Kylo Ren. But I do like that the climax of the movie is set on Coruscant, and involves Finn leading a revolution of the oppressed everyday citizens in the undercity who are just so tired of all these star wars.

I just want the Eclipse. I’d take the eclipse over a thousand dumb cannon star destroyers any day.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It’s hard to say he’s even a central character after the first movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

i81icu812 posted:

It’s hard to say he’s even a central character after the first movie.

I mean....he has one third of TLJ devoted to him -- the entire structure of that film is each of the sigh TRIO! having dueling influences on them (Rey gets Luke and Ben, Poe has Holdo and Leia, Finn gets Rose and DJ). The fact that the "find the master codebreaker" plan ends up not working out doesn't mean Finn didn't go through character growth and wasn't an integral part of the themes and messages of the film.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

I mean....he has one third of TLJ devoted to him -- the entire structure of that film is each of the sigh TRIO! having dueling influences on them (Rey gets Luke and Ben, Poe has Holdo and Leia, Finn gets Rose and DJ). The fact that the "find the master codebreaker" plan ends up not working out doesn't mean Finn didn't go through character growth and wasn't an integral part of the themes and messages of the film.

The problem is nothing he did in TLJ mattered at all for the plot. The thematic parallels you point out are interesting in theory, but what we actually got for Finn after all the reshoots was just an incoherent mess.

And then in TROS he’s completely irrelevant.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Movies, all stories really, are more than just The Plot Events That Happen. Yes, Finn and Rose's mission to Canto Bight to find a codebreaker to break into the Supremacy and shut off the tracker ends up not panning out. But the entire movie is about dealing with setbacks and failures. For some characters its revisiting trauma from their past, for others it's dealing with more immediate concerns...and on top of that whole thing, Finn's arc is 100% about him as a character, not the plot details, but what Finn is motivated by, what his goals are. He starts TLJ right where he ended TFA--sympathetic to the plight of the Resistance, appalled at the actions of the First Order...but ultimately seeing it as a conflict that needs to be avoided. That getting out of the way and letting it all blow over is about the best that can be hoped for. TFA got him to the point of wanting to drag along a cadre of friends while fleeing, he's not just saving his own skin but also that of those he knows. But it's the events of TLJ--seeing the slave children on Canto Bight and hearing Rose's story about her and Paige's early life--that truly radicalizes him, brings him around to seeing the fight not as something akin to a natural disaster to be avoided or weathered, but as something to be stood up to and actively opposed. Instead of fighting for himself or his friends, Finn is now fighting for the cause, for the benefit of people he'll never meet. But beyond even that, though, the movie takes it one step further as Finn goes too far. He gets so wrapped up in Doing Something For The Cause that he becomes willing to throw his own life into that opposition to tyranny. And sometimes that becomes necessary. Holdo and Luke both sacrifice themselves in this movie as well...but Finn's near-sacrifice isn't like theirs. His is motivated by wanting to lash out and lay down the hurt, rather than from a desire to protect people, and the course he takes is a fruitless one. He throws himself, needlessly and pointlessly, down the barrel of a weapon that will utterly immolate him to no benefit, and Rose again becomes the vehicle of a lesson for Finn--that saving those we love is always more vital than destroying those we hate.

It's so simple to look at Finn's journey in TLJ and go "lol useless side quest that doesn't accomplish anything", but that comes from prioritizing Plot over Character.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Finn is really important to the plot as well. His conversation with Poe reveals the Resistance's escape plan to DJ, who then divulges it to the First Order, setting up the entire third act on Crait.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

Finn is really important to the plot as well. His conversation with Poe reveals the Resistance's escape plan to DJ, who then divulges it to the First Order, setting up the entire third act on Crait.

Yeah, I really don't get the people who think what happened with Canto Bight is useless. Like...watch the film again. Seriously.

Also, in terms of criticism of Trevorrow's script, remember that what got leaked is an early draft. There was still time to make changes to what may have not worked out had he been able to get along with Lucasfilm and Disney.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
After years of not posting here or thinking about star wars, memories are slowly coming back. Vague recollections about not arguing with jivjov because the discussions are unproductive and rapidly devolve.

Anyway, have any of the new star wars books been any good? Curious if any of the filoni stuff is worth reading after seeing the Mandalorian episode.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Anyway, have any of the new star wars books been any good? Curious if any of the filoni stuff is worth reading after seeing the Mandalorian episode.

I've read a couple and they've been entertaining enough. Not really had any desire to read more though!

Relatedly, I've been meaning to watch the clone wars and rebels shows since the mandalorian started, are there any episodes of either I can skip guilt free?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

i81icu812 posted:

I don't think Filoni has actually written any books, has he? I know the pre-Disney tie-in books to the Clone Wars show were not worth reading.

chaosrefined posted:

Relatedly, I've been meaning to watch the clone wars and rebels shows since the mandalorian started, are there any episodes of either I can skip guilt free?

There are definitely a lot of Clone Wars episodes that can be skipped, especially because that show is extremely episodic, far more than Rebels or Mandalorian.

I'm kind of surprised, my girlfriend loves the movies but other than them, the Mandalorian is the only Star Wars thing she's consumed. She absolutely loved the Ahsoka episode and has now been reading up on her and wants to start watching Clone Wars and Rebels. I might make an essential viewing guide for her, if so I'll post it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

i81icu812 posted:

Thrawn was okay but had major problems of editing and character. Alliances was bad. Lost Stars is considered the best of the new novels but it constantly does that annoying thing where the main characters are always just offscreen from the OT. Aftermath was a crime against both storytelling and imagination.