Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lost Stars is fantastic. Bloodline, by the same author, is also really good. Thrawn was pretty good, but the other Zahn books about Thrawn have been pretty poo poo.

The Aftermath books are...mostly god awful bullshit, with slight glimmers of wonderful. They introduce Sinjir, who is one of my favorite new characters ever. He’s great. And honestly, the depths of which they’re bad reach a level that I think has to be seen to be believed. And some of the Interludes they do are fun. If you listen to podcasts a lot, I’d recommend given the audiobooks a listen as a change of pace for a laugh. Then the present tense doesn’t bother you as much either, because it sounds like a radio play, with sound effects and score and all. But seriously, they’re loving nuts.

The standalone Ahsoka book doesn’t get much love around here, but I really liked it. It helps that I listened to the audiobook for it as well, which was read by Ashley Eckstein. Aces, and fits the mood of the recent episode of Mando rather well.

Beyond that...it’s a bunch of forgettable nothing. They’ve smoothed out the rough edges of the old EU. That means nothing truly terrible like Children of the Jedi or Crystal Star, but nothing really great either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't Cobb Vanth from Aftermath?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't Cobb Vanth from Aftermath?

Yeah, but in a series of Interludes. Nowhere near a main character, or even a side character. Barely there, though what’s there was good. Just kind of peppered in here and there over three books. That’s one of the rare gems I mentioned.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

thrawn527 posted:

Lost Stars is fantastic. Bloodline, by the same author, is also really good. Thrawn was pretty good, but the other Zahn books about Thrawn have been pretty poo poo.
Do you include the first book of the new Chiss trilogy he's been doing in that? After reading Thrawn (which I enjoyed) I wasn't really in a rush to read either of the two sequels, but that one sounded cool.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Do you include the first book of the new Chiss trilogy he's been doing in that? After reading Thrawn (which I enjoyed) I wasn't really in a rush to read either of the two sequels, but that one sounded cool.

To be fair, no, because I haven’t read it. The last couple (Alliances and Treason) burned me out, and just made me sad.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Some other highlights from the new era canon:

Alphabet Squadron, also heard good things about its recently released sequel.
From A Certain point of View ANH and the ESB 40th anniversary short story collections.
Phasma (Not loving with you, kind of like a Mad Max meets The Long Walk tale of Phasma as a teenager.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

Some other highlights from the new era canon:

Alphabet Squadron, also heard good things about its recently released sequel.
From A Certain point of View ANH and the ESB 40th anniversary short story collections.
Phasma (Not loving with you, kind of like a Mad Max meets The Long Walk tale of Phasma as a teenager.)

These are all a bit more recent than thrawn's recs, and are pretty delightful. Alphabet is basically a newer take on the old Rogue/Wraith paradigm, but with a smaller cast and darker tone.

Both FACPOV books go full tilt into the old EU trope of "every side character has a rich and relevant backstory" and it's great, just in the insane diversity of approaches to that premise. Plus the ESB one has a story written by a goon

I remember being surprised over how good the Phasma book is, though it is disappointing how much of a jobber she is in the movies compared to her depiction here.

I also enjoyed the Thrawn Ascendancy prequel novel; heavy Brian Daley, "here's a solid sci-fi work technically set in the Star Wars universe but different in many ways (except the main character)" vibes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The guy doing the fan animation of Dark Empire uploaded the trailer for his second episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLDgyOqL2Kc

For those who don't know, he's using the audio from the official Dark Empire audio adaptation (which is a bit different from the comic itself) and animating it in a style that combines the actual DE art with the Holiday Special animated segment, with some visual nods to various things from both the EU and movies that came out since the early 90s (in that trailer for example, its design of the Imperial Palace is from the Rebels spinoff products).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Any thoughts on the Alphabet Squadron books? I've heard some ok things, but I don't want to pull the trigger if they suck.

Also I've read the Thrawn trilogy and will bite the bullet to check out Chaos. I'll report back if its ok or not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Alphabet Squadron is the spiritual successor to the old X-Wing books - characters with a bunch of baggage and interpersonal issues coming together to form a squadron. The overall tone is a bit more grim than X-Wing ever was, and the squadron is more "black ops" than "heroic fighter commandos", but they're very much worth a read - and hey, we don't have too much longer to wait for book 3!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

RC Cola posted:

Any thoughts on the Alphabet Squadron books? I've heard some ok things, but I don't want to pull the trigger if they suck.

They’re good. Most of the reaction to them from goons and elsewhere has been positive. I thought the most recent one was pretty dark at times, but it’s a good story and I’m really looking forward to the last one whenever it comes out (Next year?).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fartknocker posted:

They’re good. Most of the reaction to them from goons and elsewhere has been positive. I thought the most recent one was pretty dark at times, but it’s a good story and I’m really looking forward to the last one whenever it comes out (Next year?).

March 2, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I dunno why, but I started rereading The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy recently and am midway through the second book now. These books were not my favorite growing up, but I do remember liking them a lot and I guess they survived my 2013 purge of 80% of my EU books.

I feel like, moreso than any other old EU novels I can remember, these books are the best mixture of godawful writing but interesting concepts. Boba Fett is such an awful edgelord character in these books and every character is just constantly fellating him like he's Poochie. It makes Bossk very likable, actually, because this poor lizard himbo is just getting bullied by Fett.

I love the concept of Kud'ar Mub'at, although the author telegraphs in his first loving scene what's going to happen with Balancesheet and then just keeps drawing a gigantic red arrow pointed at Balancesheet for every single scene of his afterward.

I also love me some Kuat of Kuat. Just some technocrat dude who likes being in the family business of war profiteering.

Finally, the degree to which all of the galaxy's most powerful people are just sitting around thinking and talking about ~~~bounty hunters~~~ is hilarious, as is the idea of loving Bossk heading up an offshoot to a lovely trade union.

I honestly don't think that these books could be improved.

edit: imagine if President Obama spent half of his time in office talking with his national security council about Dog the Bounty Hunter

surf rock fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 12, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you're the only one who can read them without falling asleep

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The second book with the rogue stormtrooper section was completely insane. Fett just happens to have Zuckuss stuck in his ship for the sole purpose of screwing over Bossk.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That Bossk wins in the end by virtue of being more pathetic than anyone can imagine is the crowning moment of that series. I was genuinely happy for him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bossk got owned by a rodent man who spends the whole series shoving his fingers into sniffing salts. He gets punked out of his own ship by a fake countdown voice and then just to troll him Fett puts the "bomb" in the escape pod after Bossk fled.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Jazerus posted:

you're the only one who can read them without falling asleep

look at this guy who doesn't know the old songs, the ones our spawn-fathers knew

the rest of us will do the lizard dance all around the courtyard

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Positive impressions for the first three High Republic books from Alex at Star Wars Explained, who has not always been a fan of some of the books over the last few years. Reminded him of the Bane trilogy, different but familiar enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LqIRls-Cc

I had been pretty much getting Kindle versions of the all the novels in the Disney era (Slightly burned by having all the Legends books now packed away... hahah). Maybe I'll dip back in to physical purchases for this era.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 14, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

jivjov posted:

Alphabet Squadron is the spiritual successor to the old X-Wing books - characters with a bunch of baggage and interpersonal issues coming together to form a squadron. The overall tone is a bit more grim than X-Wing ever was, and the squadron is more "black ops" than "heroic fighter commandos", but they're very much worth a read - and hey, we don't have too much longer to wait for book 3!

I'll second that. The first one deals with the aftermath of Operation Cinder and how it broke a lot of people on both sides. It also sets up a vendetta between an Imperial and an Alliance squadron that continues into the second book. I like the characters, and the books have some of the best space combat in any of the novels, old or new. It reads very much like the author is an old school X-Wing/TIE Fighter player, I could visualize the action from the cockpit.

I would love, but we will not get, Alphabet Squadron single-player content for Squadrons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Over the last couple years, I've kind of drifted away from reading Star Wars books. Still read the occasional comic, but I think the new books have been diminishing returns both quality and creative-wise. Not that the old EU ten years ago was any better but I think I'm at a stage in my life where I can't keep justifying putting in time reading about the time Grand Admiral Thrawn went shopping at Galaxy's Edge. Plus in the last year, The Mandalorian and the newer EA games have filled the EU-shaped hole in my heart more than most of the recent books.

I also realized it's almost five years to the day since Force Awakens came out. Feels like a different era. Still, cynical as I am (and hell, as I was then) it was still fun to get swept up in the hype and the feeling of being in the theater opening night. I actually still think that the first hour or so of TFA is perhaps the most enjoyable of the Disney movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Teek posted:

Reminded him of the Bane trilogy, different but familiar enough:

In basically every way the Bane trilogy is just as bad as any of the Bounty Hunter trilogy so idk.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I didn’t get the sense he meant quality by that, mainly more the vibe of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I used to like Star Wars books a lot when I was a child. I haven't read any in years, I largely stopped caring about the franchise after I saw The Phantom Menace, but I see that they're doing novels in the new continuity and I'm kinda interested. Are any of the new ones any good?

I should say, what I really liked about the Star Wars books as a kid was how they'd be about wild stuff not in the movies, like Leia's kids or X-Wing squads or weird aliens. Are the new books branching off into uncharted territory like that or are they sticking with "Here's what this major character did in between the movies!"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It's been a mix. Some focusing on some of the major characters, a few others about new characters (Alphabet Squadron, Lost Stars, Doctor Aphra [comic series]).

They'll be launching a new multi-book series in a few weeks set a few hundred years before TPM. It's a big cross promo thing, with both adult and young adult novels, as well as comics. It's called the High Republic, and I think they have it sketched out for the next two years at the minimum. It'll also be getting a TV show set around that era within the next two years or so.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Teek posted:

It's been a mix. Some focusing on some of the major characters, a few others about new characters (Alphabet Squadron, Lost Stars, Doctor Aphra [comic series]).

They'll be launching a new multi-book series in a few weeks set a few hundred years before TPM. It's a big cross promo thing, with both adult and young adult novels, as well as comics. It's called the High Republic, and I think they have it sketched out for the next two years at the minimum. It'll also be getting a TV show set around that era within the next two years or so.

I'll be interested to see how they manage to include Stormtroopers in that setting.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I'll be interested to see how they manage to include Stormtroopers in that setting.

Same way they did in KOTOR; just shove somebody into full armor with a face-obscuring helmet :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gripweed posted:

I used to like Star Wars books a lot when I was a child. I haven't read any in years, I largely stopped caring about the franchise after I saw The Phantom Menace, but I see that they're doing novels in the new continuity and I'm kinda interested. Are any of the new ones any good?

I should say, what I really liked about the Star Wars books as a kid was how they'd be about wild stuff not in the movies, like Leia's kids or X-Wing squads or weird aliens. Are the new books branching off into uncharted territory like that or are they sticking with "Here's what this major character did in between the movies!"

This isn't really directed at you, but drat, the OP really needs to be updated because this question is asked on occasion and we get basically the same answers every time. Again, not directed at you, the answers get buried, and the OP is 10 god drat years old. That's before the loving Disney buyout. And the questions that are answered in the OP aren't even canon anymore.

It may be time for a new book barn thread, because we can't really update the OP, since the author of the thread hasn't posted in here since 2011. Anyone object to me making it?

If everyone is good with a new book barn thread, please put your ultimate recommendations that should be included in the OP here again so I can try to make a consensus (ha). Put anything from Legends as well that you think is still worth revisiting.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 17, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gripweed posted:

If anything I think the focus of books since the Disney purchase has been a lot more limited in scope than the old EU, with a few exceptions. Maybe that's starting to change now that the sequel movies are over.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

This isn't really directed at you, but drat, the OP really needs to be updated because this question is asked on occasion and we get basically the same answers every time. Again, not directed at you, the answers get buried, and the OP is 10 god drat years old. That's before the loving Disney buyout. And the questions that are answered in the OP aren't even canon anymore.

It may be time for a new book barn thread, because we can't really update the OP, since the author of the thread hasn't posted in here since 2011. Anyone object to me making it?

If everyone is good with a new book barn thread, please put your ultimate recommendations that should be included in the OP here again so I can try to make a consensus (ha). Put anything from Legends as well that you think is still worth revisiting.

A year or so ago I had some Audible credits I had to burn and I spent them on Alphabet Squadron, Black Spire, Phasma, and Aftermath. This was based on searching for "best canon star wars novels" as well as thrawn527 's posts since you have pretty good Star Wars opinions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and make a new Book Barn thread. I'm actually almost done with it, scanning back through the thread to grab recommendations for a few consensus books I haven't read. Should be up soon.

I'll have a section on how bad the Aftermath books are, and whether that means you should read them or not.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I've got some Legends recs here:
Shatterpoint (Mace goes home to Space Vietnam and it sucks rocks)
The Medstar Duology (well-nuanced Star Wars MASH during the Clone Wars)
ROTS novelization (I don't think I need to make an argument for this one)
The Thrawn Trilogy (ditto)
The Han Solo Adventures (Brian Daley single-handedly outdoes the whole of the EU in 1979)
The Lando Calrissian Adventures (Some of the weirdest SW stories put to paper, referenced in the Solo movie)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The aftermath books are good, actually

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

:siren: New Star Wars Book Barn Thread Here! :siren:

The time has finally come. 10 years and almost 700 pages here is long enough. Head on over there, please, and have your Star Wars Book discussions there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

whoops wrong thread

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Looks like they finally gave Cara Dune the boot.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Good riddance.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VaultAggie posted:

Looks like they finally gave Cara Dune the boot.

Gina Carano. The character may stick around, I'm hoping they recast with a Jewish trans woman just to really piss off Carano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm sure that's going to happen.