Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Throb Robinson posted:

Pretty much. Especially now that George has figured out the the Clone wars = $$$. I think we have like three separate versions of how the Clone wars happened. I think the Dark Horse stories put out are gone due to the show and I would think the old Clone wars show is gone now too due to the TV show.
How is the Clone Wars more $$$ than the original trilogy? The originals have been pushing merchandise of all kinds since their debut. I couldn't even tell you how much all the toys I got during my childhood costed. If there's really any difference I've noticed, it's that the Clone Wars seems to be getting TV shows, whereas I don't know if the original movies got that much. I guess that IS a big deal.

Also, when you talk about "the show", I'm not sure which you're talking about. The only ones I'm aware of was the Tartakovski mini-series, and then the CG one based on his style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Best part is, those were all from one series of books. (I'm assuming you're referring to Crowetron's quotes I reposted.)

Amazingly I know the exact poo poo book series you guys are talking about, I think I read them in 5th grade. I'm forgetting though what EU stands for? My favorite is apparently the "Glove of Darth Vader" is where he gets his mysterious choking power.

Also, anyone post yet about Jon Stewart becoming an Action Figure Storm Trooper? With replaceable head, one goatee one clean shaven.

http://www.neatorama.com/neatogeek/2010/08/15/john-stewart-stormtrooper-action-figure/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Duckman2008 posted:

Amazingly I know the exact poo poo book series you guys are talking about, I think I read them in 5th grade. I'm forgetting though what EU stands for? My favorite is apparently the "Glove of Darth Vader" is where he gets his mysterious choking power.

EU stands for Expanded Universe. And if you'd like a Glove of Darth Vader nostalgia trip, feel free to check out the Terrible Star Wars Books Thread. Those books were the reason it was started.

(At the risk of pimping my own thread, any chance the link can be added to the OP?)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

(At the risk of pimping my own thread, any chance the link can be added to the OP?)

If we're talking about thread pimping, can my Let's Play of Knights of the Old Republic be added there as well? Every time it comes up in the thread I feel like chiming in.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Fnoigy posted:

How is the Clone Wars more $$$ than the original trilogy? The originals have been pushing merchandise of all kinds since their debut. I couldn't even tell you how much all the toys I got during my childhood costed. If there's really any difference I've noticed, it's that the Clone Wars seems to be getting TV shows, whereas I don't know if the original movies got that much. I guess that IS a big deal.

Also, when you talk about "the show", I'm not sure which you're talking about. The only ones I'm aware of was the Tartakovski mini-series, and then the CG one based on his style.

New markets, Why just sell OT stuff when you can sell Clone wars toys too. I don't agree but Someone over at Lucasfilm thinks that Star Wars has to stay "fresh" and Modern for kids to want to own the toys that go along with it. All the new stuff at Celebration V was about the Clone wars show or the Old Republic, The OT stuff isn't even brought up anymore.

And the new show is a Show on Cartoon network about Anakin and his student based between attack of the clones and revenge of the sith.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

New markets, Why just sell OT stuff when you can sell Clone wars toys too. I don't agree but Someone over at Lucasfilm thinks that Star Wars has to stay "fresh" and Modern for kids to want to own the toys that go along with it. All the new stuff at Celebration V was about the Clone wars show or the Old Republic, The OT stuff isn't even brought up anymore.

And the new show is a Show on Cartoon network about Anakin and his student based between attack of the clones and revenge of the sith.
Oh, I never said they wouldn't cash in on the new stuff, I'm just asking how is the NEW stuff supposedly so money-focused, as though the old stuff hasn't been pumping out new merchandise for decades.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I'll look for it when I get home but I remember reading something where someone(I know super vague) ranted about how when the OT came out the Toys were a by product of the Movies but these days the Movies are a product to introduce more toys onto the market people want.

EDIT: I buy into that theory well when I see stuff like Starkiller, Darth Maul's brother and all the "Cool" looking toys that show up on shelves when I pass by.

VVVV Thats probably it.

Throb Robinson fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 16, 2010

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
^^^
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of RLM's review, where he shows off the toys of the OT and the toys of the prequels.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

thrawn527 posted:

EU stands for Expanded Universe. And if you'd like a Glove of Darth Vader nostalgia trip, feel free to check out the Terrible Star Wars Books Thread. Those books were the reason it was started.

I was just waiting for a link to show up, because I was too lazy to go looking for it myself.

Wampalord posted:

If we're talking about thread pimping, can my Let's Play of Knights of the Old Republic be added there as well? Every time it comes up in the thread I feel like chiming in.

Consider this done also.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Chaos Hippy posted:

I was just waiting for a link to show up, because I was too lazy to go looking for it myself.

Consider this done also.

sniper4625 on the first page posted:

I dunno if you wanted to add a link to the Let's Read Bad Star Wars Books Thread, at least it would save Thrawn the trouble of posting it every so often:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3296954

Ahem. :colbert:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

sniper4625 posted:

Ahem. :colbert:

Okay, so I'm lazy AND unobservant. Go easy on me, I just passed a kidney stone.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I read GFFA as Galactic Federation of Free Alliances and got excited that maybe a Thrawn clone comes into the picture. But then the real acronym came to me. Oh well still going to be good.

Mind sharing, cuz I haven't read anything since I completely lost interest in the books. I do, however, remember how pissed I was that Luke and Mara destroyed that hidden temple full of Thrawn clones.

DougieC posted:

He is altering the franchise, pray he doesn't alter it any further.

This is the very accurate, basic answer. To further answer the question about Eps 7-9: Lucas has said many things and then denied them in interviews.

From what I recall hearing/reading that there was only 1 Star Wars -ever. After the success of "Star Wars", sequels were demanded, and only then was the overarching story imagined. But at that time it existed in the crazy number of movies which was narrowed down to 12 and later to 9. All that existed for the prequels and the sequel trilogy were notes scribbled down by Lucas. Since I'm terrible at sourcing my information, this either came from the interview on the current OT box set, or more likely from an excerpt I read of The Secret History of Star Wars. I really need to get this book.

I've heard many rumors about the sequel trilogy, including that The Truce at Bakura was a very condensed version of Lucas' intentions for the sequel trilogy, and that it was very political and would have been the most boring trilogy ever.

Chaos Hippy posted:

The barely-even-conceived episodes 7-9 were compressed into Return of the Jedi, because Lucas was tired of those Star Wars.

Where'd you hear this? I like collecting this stuff (mentally, otherwise I'd be able to present better references).

Drighton fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 16, 2010

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drighton posted:

The Secret History of Star Wars. I really need to get this book.

You really do. It's a great book, worth every penny.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 16, 2010

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I feel like those of you who haven't seen the Clone Wars series (the ongoing on Cartoon Network) really should watch it. It starts off slow, but it really does turn into Star Wars.

I love it :shobon:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drighton posted:

Where'd you hear this? I like collecting this stuff (mentally, otherwise I'd be able to present better references).

This is covered in Secret History of Star Wars, as well. Basically, making ESB nearly bankrupted Lucas. He put a lot of his own money into it, and it was constantly over budget and past deadline. He really started to hate making movies, so he decided he wanted to stop. Problem was, ESB ending on a massive cliffhanger. If he had ended the series there, fans would have called for his head. So, he took the story of 7-9 (Luke training Yoda's "another" to take down the Emperor, who would appear for the first time in Episode 9), got rid of most of it, and took the ending of 9 with the confrontation with the Emperor and put it into RotJ.

He then found he had a problem, though. Yoda mentioned "another", and he/she was going to be the subject of 7-9. Now that he had eliminated those movies, Yoda's comment would seem extremely strange just hanging out there. So Lucas handwaved Leia in as Luke's sister, and bam, backstory completed.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

He then found he had a problem, though. Yoda mentioned "another", and he/she was going to be the subject of 7-9. Now that he had eliminated those movies, Yoda's comment would seem extremely strange just hanging out there. So Lucas handwaved Leia in as Luke's sister, and bam, backstory completed.

Wow, could you imagine how George would have wormed his way through "10-second old newborn Leia remembers her mother" if he hadn't done that?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

There is no reason why he can't have Wraith Squadron still fighting in the pre-NJO era. This was some behind-the-scenes commando squad anyway and the SW universe is huge, there is no reason they have to be involve in some huge galaxy spanning conflict that the Big 3 are a part of. Hell you can just have them fighting space pirates and it would be still great.
Is it just me or do they only write books set in one of two time periods at any given time:
- at the end of the current EU history
- just before/during/after whatever film just came out

There's no reason they couldn't write books about people other than the big 3 set in any time period, with no great impact on galactic history. It doesn't matter if the stakes are low for the galaxy so long as they're high for the characters. Hell, they could set it during the Thrawn war. There's enough things going on everywhere that there's room for any number of stories so long as the authors have some minimum of imagination and care about the characters (which means there's only about three authors who could pull it off). If Allston went all broken arrow and slipped the yoke of his Lucasarts masters...but I doubt that will happen.

DougieC posted:

You could easily sit them in a post-LOTF era. Or any era. The point of Wraith Squadron is they stir poo poo up with whacky schemes to destabalise enemies. Pirate gangs, warlords etc. can be set pretty much anywhere from 6ABY onwards. They could stick it in Legacy era if they wanted.

WhyteRyce posted:

I would be kind of amusing to have Wraith Squadron giving running commentary to the poo poo going on in the post-NJO era.
"When did the galaxy get so stupid"
It would be like I, Jedi
This would force us to learn how crappy the later EU is. I'll pass. Also they'd be in their fifties and sixties and that's just weird.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

T-1000 posted:

This would force us to learn how crappy the later EU is. I'll pass. Also they'd be in their fifties and sixties and that's just weird.

I would hope that, free of the tyranny of being ordered to write novels about the big 3 who should just be loving retired and taking long baths all day, Allston would not be afraid to write new squadron members with only cameos from the old cast members, if he chose to write in that era.

I imagine even the era isn't going to be finalised until FOTJ is finished and he can sit down and write an outline to submit to Del Rey. I'd love to see an original adventure so I've no problem with setting it post-LOTF. Just because the rest of the literature set around that time is horrible doesn't mean a good story cannot be told in that setting. Crosscurrent was set post-LOTF and I really enjoyed it.

Just thinking what was lovely about LOTF: they really played on the cultural distrust of the conflict in the Middle East when they wrote the story and it was loving pathetic. Traviss especially took the retarded comparison to its worst levels, with "axis of evil" allegories, IIRC. They thought they were tapping into the love for "gritty", morally ambiguous poo poo in the media at a time when, like in 1977, people were so depressed by real life that they wanted uplifting escapism from their media again - this is why the TV series Glee is such a hit IMO, and why Flashforward bombed in spite of doing its best to recreate the things that made Lost popular.

If you think about it, the early 90s EU stuff was still pretty upbeat, with easily identifiable (if sometimes interesting and likeable e.g. Zahn's stuff), limited danger and fairly happy endings, and descended into gritty about the same time shows like Lost, BSG, 24 etc. started appearing on telly.

I do think they are attempting to simplify and upbeat things in FOTJ with some fairly identifiable evils, a simple old school father-and-son road trip, whacky Han and Leia's grandaughter etc., but they're just struggling with the execution because of the turd that came before it, and because of the limited abilities of the authors.

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 16, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Biplane posted:

New Wraith Squadron novel what in gently caress, jesus gently caress lord I hope it takes place during the vong invasion and is awesome holy poo poo!

Drikker før du bruker datamaskinen er pinlig, ikke sant? :banjo:

Wraith Squadron sounds cool and all, maybe Saba Sebatyne's Wild Knights will come along for the ride as well and make me happy. (sans Dani QWEEE!)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Drikker før du bruker datamaskinen er pinlig, ikke sant? :banjo:

Wraith Squadron sounds cool and all, maybe Saba Sebatyne's Wild Knights will come along for the ride as well and make me happy. (sans Dani QWEEE!)

Jeg skjønner ikke helt hva du prøver å insinuere her...

Wild Knights can go gently caress themselves.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Jeg er en innfødt engelsk snakker og ordstillingen ser morsom ut. Særlig "jesus gently caress lord". :haw:

I have a thing for Y-wings, and the only NJO-era squadron that utilizes them still is the Wild Knights. Even Horton Salm moved on to B-wings.

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009
The last thread was always too big and intimidating for me to get into, but now that there's a new one, I'll join in. I'm a huge Star Wars geek.

I realize this was covered in the OP, but can we talk about Karen Traviss a little bit? I'm fully aware that she's a little bit crazy, but none of you guys thought stories about the Mandalorians were cool? I enjoyed the Republic Commandos books immensely. She had that thing about making GBS threads on Jedi, but I think it IS a little bit hosed up that the Jedi took the keys to this clone army with hardly a second thought. I've always enjoyed stories where the Jedi aren't portrayed as infallible as they are in the movies. (I also know that even sort-of defending Traviss may cue :argh:. I just want to be friends. Really!)

I also enjoyed Legacy of the Force. I'm two books behind so far on Fate of the Jedi and that's because I'm finding them a little bit difficult to get into. I'm having trouble caring about the One Sith or whatever they're called.

Looking forward to continued geekery in this thread.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Pretend Squirrel posted:

I realize this was covered in the OP, but can we talk about Karen Traviss a little bit? I'm fully aware that she's a little bit crazy, but none of you guys thought stories about the Mandalorians were cool? I enjoyed the Republic Commandos books immensely. She had that thing about making GBS threads on Jedi, but I think it IS a little bit hosed up that the Jedi took the keys to this clone army with hardly a second thought. I've always enjoyed stories where the Jedi aren't portrayed as infallible as they are in the movies. (I also know that even sort-of defending Traviss may cue :argh:. I just want to be friends. Really!)

That may just be a problem with the movies, but wasn't it shown in most of the EU material that the Jedi did face a number of ethical difficulties, often deep ones, in taking command in this fashion?

I just remember hearing that this was expanded on, as I haven't really looked at anything from that era in a long time.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Pretend Squirrel posted:

The last thread was always too big and intimidating for me to get into, but now that there's a new one, I'll join in. I'm a huge Star Wars geek.

I also enjoyed Legacy of the Force. I'm two books behind so far on Fate of the Jedi and that's because I'm finding them a little bit difficult to get into. I'm having trouble caring about the One Sith or whatever they're called.

Looking forward to continued geekery in this thread.

I speculate that many people, as you're probably about to see, have a personal dislike for Traviss that transcends and ignores the good writing that she has done. The Republic Commando books are some of my favorite Star Wars literature - action stories about small unit operations which ask moralistic questions that might face a soldier and his commanding officers. One of the greatest things is that the stories are self-contained and have very little of the George Lucas taint (ridiculous names, reminders that the prequels exist, attempts to give the prequel storyline some meaning and reason for having existed). Instead it's just guerilla and spec-ops warfare by soldiers who are slowly maturing and starting to ask questions of the world around them.

Your enjoyment of Legacy of the Force is folly, though, and you are a horrible person for enjoying that series.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pretend Squirrel posted:

I also enjoyed Legacy of the Force.

:ssh: I did too. Well, parts of it. But don't spread it around.

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009

Azzmo posted:

I speculate that many people, as you're probably about to see, have a personal dislike for Traviss that transcends and ignores the good writing that she has done. The Republic Commando books are some of my favorite Star Wars literature - action stories about small unit operations which ask moralistic questions that might face a soldier and his commanding officers. One of the greatest things is that the stories are self-contained and have very little of the George Lucas taint (ridiculous names, reminders that the prequels exist, attempts to give the prequel storyline some meaning and reason for having existed). Instead it's just guerilla and spec-ops warfare by soldiers who are slowly maturing and starting to ask questions of the world around them.

Your enjoyment of Legacy of the Force is folly, though, and you are a horrible person for enjoying that series.

That's a big reason why I liked them so much. It was different than most Star Wars writing, it came from a different point of view, from characters that hadn't really been covered in that way before.

As far as the Legacy of the Force, (and I suspect you goons have beaten it to death in the old thread) what was so awful about it? It certainly wasn't the best Star Wars writing, but it's far from the worst.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I'm a big Corellian nerd like other people are Mando nerds. So Those bits on Corellia in LoTF were awesome. As for Traviss, I have no problem with her first book cause like Ive said its a standard Star Wars Story with a miltary gloss. Awesome. Untested new friends, huge enemy and a super weapon that will kill everyone if they don't stop it.

My problem with Traviss doesn't even have anything to do with how she acts outside of writing. Its her other books. They are all the same book. Her gears of war books are almost plot for plot the same as the republic commando books. There is a wise old solider dad type who molds the younger new generation. You have to see the books themselves to see what I'm saying but Its crazy.

On top of that all her work is needlessly Nihilistic, In her own work thats fine but in the Clone Wars book she was paid to write and in the Halo short story she wrote she made is stupidly depressing and overtly saying everything sucks.

And my last bitch is how she changes the Dialog in things to suit her "Make things horrible" Mindset. In the Halo short story she wrote she took a scene from Halo 3 and twisted the dialog to make a happy moment where the main guy saves the computer lady. She twisted it around to make it seem like the main guy only came to save her cause he needed her like a tool, that he considers it dirty he had to come get this thing.

:goonsay:

EDIT:

Pretend Squirrel posted:

As far as the Legacy of the Force, (and I suspect you goons have beaten it to death in the old thread) what was so awful about it? It certainly wasn't the best Star Wars writing, but it's far from the worst.

The Creepy terrorism worship was what pushed LoTF into the poo poo range for me. That combined with Mara getting the shittiest death ever after sitting on her hands for like 6 books. The way it took itself so seriously also pushed it into the worst that the EU has to offer. I would rather read the glove of vader books cause at least those are fun to laugh at.

DOUBLE EDIT:

This gem hasn't been posted in ages. Scroll down til you see a poster named Yodakenobi, This is fantastic review of sacrifice. I still laugh hard when I give it a reread now and then.

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/28128642/p5

Throb Robinson fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 17, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Adrianne Curry from "America's Next Top Model" was sexually assaulted by a drunk guy at Celebration. Are there any goons at Celebration who know anything about this?

http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/16/adrianne-curry-americas-next-top-model-arrest-molest-orlando-star-wars-convention/

quote:

Former "America's Next Top Model" champ Adrianne Curry called police in Orlando this weekend ... claiming an allegedly drunk man reached up her skirt and "molested" her outside of a Star Wars convention. Curry called police around 3:00 AM on Sunday to report the incident that allegedly went down in front of the hotel where the Star Wars expo was going down ... but claims it took more than an hour before cops arrived on scene.

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, the officer who arrived at the hotel claims he "came in contact with the male as he lay in the bushes at the entrance to the hotel."

The officer claims he spoke to multiple witnesses -- one of which said the suspect "attempted several times to fight several other people as they stood outside waiting to be picked up for the Star Wars convention."

The man was eventually arrested for disorderly intoxication.

Curry later Tweeted, "cops are here..molesting pervert drunk in the back of their car...going to bed ... i cannot believe last night happened....love starwars...but ready to leave.”

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Throb Robinson posted:

This gem hasn't been posted in ages. Scroll down til you see a poster named Yodakenobi, This is fantastic review of sacrifice. I still laugh hard when I give it a reread now and then.
"Traviss' attempts at political commentary are handled with the deftness of a fat kid desperately grasping for the last cookie in a jar that's opening is far too narrow for his meaty fist."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Adrianne Curry from "America's Next Top Model" was sexually assaulted by a drunk guy at Celebration. Are there any goons at Celebration who know anything about this?

http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/16/adrianne-curry-americas-next-top-model-arrest-molest-orlando-star-wars-convention/

I saw her at the afterparty I went to, she was there in a slave Leia outfit. A bunch of my friends got their picture taken with her, but I didn't. We left before the sexual assault part happened though.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Crowetron posted:

How about Wedge.jpg

That's a good idea. In this spirit, Katarn.gif:

I had to shrink and mutilate this one to get it to fit on waffle:

the full video

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's really nothing to like in LotF.

1) Characters are retarded
2) Karen Traviss is ... awful for all the reasons already listed
3) Troy Denning is CRIMINALLY inept
4) Aaron Allston is passive aggressively wrecking his entries

And at the end of it all nobody at all wanted the story they told in LotF.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Directorman posted:

I feel like those of you who haven't seen the Clone Wars series (the ongoing on Cartoon Network) really should watch it. It starts off slow, but it really does turn into Star Wars.

I love it :shobon:

That show is incredibly hit or miss. My son just started watching these after i've resisted it for a couple years. The narrator doing a lovely 1940s newsflash voice at the beginning is terrible. Most of the characters are terrible. Since when are Jedi only fighting, and being quite aggressive and hateful, at that. All Anakin and Ahsoka do is yell at each other and kill things. I mean, it's great if you're 4-10 years old, but come on.

I just watched a 2 parter with an obviously Nazi-inspired 'scientist' looking to wipe out Naboo with a supervirus with his only reason being 'because he's evil'.

The only good episodes Ive seen so far are the ones with Cade(sp?), the assasin/bounty hunter dude. And gently caress Jar-Jar. Someone really needs to kill him one of these days. Just send him out an airlock.

edit: I don't mean to poo poo entirely on the series. Every episode has about 3-5 minutes of something that could have been really good if a competent person was running it. I have a hard time with shows pandering to a younger audience because they think it will be 'harder to understand' if they don't. A New Hope was the poo poo and didn't have to deal with that.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 17, 2010

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

That show is incredibly hit or miss. My son just started watching these after i've resisted it for a couple years. The narrator doing a lovely 1940s newsflash voice at the beginning is terrible.
It gets worse when you realize that it's literally the exact same voice as the narrator from The Powerpuff Girls. He didn't even mix things up, it's the same drat voice.

Also, is the new CG series still directed by Tartakovski? If there's one thing he's really not good with, it's being serious. Samurai Jack, and the first Clone Wars cartoon series showed that when he tries to make a cartoon which takes itself seriously, it just ends up looking too goofy and being written weird. When he takes a more humorous approach, things get significantly more clever.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 17, 2010

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

The best way to look at the LotF and FotJ series of books is to see the 2nd and 3rd books as long and overdone background material in preparation for the next Aaron Allston book.

The same thing can be done with that sentient force-sensitive zerg filled trilogy that is better left unremembered even when referenced in LotF and FotJ books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Val Helmethead posted:

The best way to look at the LotF and FotJ series of books is to see the 2nd and 3rd books as long and overdone background material in preparation for the next Aaron Allston book.

The same thing can be done with that sentient force-sensitive zerg filled trilogy that is better left unremembered even when referenced in LotF and FotJ books.

Until Allston sticks Anakin the Centerpoint Station into his book, or Dab Hantaq, or whatever, just to be gratuitously bad.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Throb Robinson posted:

Good lord, I read that and I started out thinking "Okay, this is a reasonable review."

Then later on, "Jesus, this is brutal. Is the book really this bad?"

Then the wall of quotes started coming. And then I wanted to stop reading, because it just started to hurt. Good lord.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

arioch posted:

Until Allston sticks Anakin the Centerpoint Station into his book, or Dab Hantaq, or whatever, just to be gratuitously bad.

Or Darth Vectivus.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

I haven't read anything on those boards in like a year, and for some reason I thought he was one of her strongest defenders. It was an interesting dissection.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

The only good episodes Ive seen so far are the ones with Cade(sp?), the assasin/bounty hunter dude.

Cad Bane. He's kind of a cheesy character, I admit it, but I like him for his Western gun-slinger look. His appearance was based on unused concept art from the OT, which only makes him even cooler:

Surprisingly, Lucas was the one who suggested using a Western film-style bounty hunter in the show. That means that Lucas can still get it right sometimes, which gives me hope until I remember the saying about the stopped clock. :smith: