Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

elf pr0n posted:

So if I was getting back into the entire Star Wars EU/Jedi Academy/whatever else what books should I read? The only Star Wars book I read was Shadows of the Empire (lol) and I really want to read me some Star Wars books!

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous was pretty good even if it's a prequel novel.

I was skeptical about a Yoda novel but it's done pretty well honestly. It makes Dooku pretty sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Muppetjedi posted:

Is this the book where Dooku tries to get Yoda to turn to the dark side, Yoda does for a fraction of a second and Dooku shits himself because he realises how evil a 900 year old master would be like?

I think so, I know in the book Yoda hints that he had been tempted before...

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Mystic_Squid posted:

I was browsing Wookiepedia for some reason and came across... well... this.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

My geeky Star Wars question is, "Who thought this was a good idea?"

It then led me to Jizz-box and Jizz Wailer.

I... I can't do Star Wars anymore.

Oh hey, a excuse to post this again

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/User:Azizlight/Sexual_references_in_Star_Wars_(intentional_or_otherwise)

"Believe me, buddy, if I were you, I'd go right up there and ask her if she wants to ride on my Rancor." -Han Solo

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 15, 2010

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Well, with blasters there's always the risk of shooting bystanders accidently so... I don't know.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Flashman novels are based on a character from someone else's book. Myths propogate and multiply, as people come up with new stories of what Coyote did, or Roland, or Rama, or whatever.

What I'm saying is, it's only "fanfic," the pejorative, when it's bad. Otherwise, it's a story. Either way, it's culture, and either way, it's something that would make you happy to write.

A Flashman-like character in the EU would be pretty funny if written well.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Hey a excuse to post the website of the crazy guy who wrote the old Lando novels

http://www.lneilsmith.org/

Abraham Palpatine

quote:

The American Lenin
by L. Neil Smith
lneil@lneilsmith.org

It's harder and harder these days to tell a liberal from a conservative -- given the former category's increasingly blatant hostility toward the First Amendment, and the latter's prissy new disdain for the Second Amendment -- but it's still easy to tell a liberal from a libertarian.

Just ask about either Amendment.

If what you get back is a spirited defense of the ideas of this country's Founding Fathers, what you've got is a libertarian. By shameful default, libertarians have become America's last and only reliable stewards of the Bill of Rights.

But if -- and this usually seems a bit more difficult to most people -- you'd like to know whether an individual is a libertarian or a conservative, ask about Abraham Lincoln.

Suppose a woman -- with plenty of personal faults herself, let that be stipulated -- desired to leave her husband: partly because he made a regular practice, in order to go out and get drunk, of stealing money she had earned herself by raising chickens or taking in laundry; and partly because he'd already demonstrated a proclivity for domestic violence the first time she'd complained about his stealing.

Now, when he stood in the doorway and beat her to a bloody pulp to keep her home, would we memorialize him as a hero? Or would we treat him like a dangerous lunatic who should be locked up, if for no other reason, then for trying to maintain the appearance of a relationship where there wasn't a relationship any more? What value, we would ask, does he find in continuing to possess her in an involuntary association, when her heart and mind had left him long ago?

History tells us that Lincoln was a politically ambitious lawyer who eagerly prostituted himself to northern industrialists who were unwilling to pay world prices for their raw materials and who, rather than practice real capitalism, enlisted brute government force -- "sell to us at our price or pay a fine that'll put you out of business" -- for dealing with uncooperative southern suppliers. That's what a tariff's all about. In support of this "noble principle", when southerners demonstrated what amounted to no more than token resistance, Lincoln permitted an internal war to begin that butchered more Americans than all of this country's foreign wars -- before or afterward -- rolled into one.

Lincoln saw the introduction of total war on the American continent -- indiscriminate mass slaughter and destruction without regard to age, gender, or combat status of the victims -- and oversaw the systematic shelling and burning of entire cities for strategic and tactical purposes. For the same purposes, Lincoln declared, rather late in the war, that black slaves were now free in the south -- where he had no effective jurisdiction -- while declaring at the same time, somewhat more quietly but for the record nonetheless, that if maintaining slavery could have won his war for him, he'd have done that, instead.

The fact is, Lincoln didn't abolish slavery at all, he nationalized it, imposing income taxation and military conscription upon what had been a free country before he took over -- income taxation and military conscription to which newly "freed" blacks soon found themselves subjected right alongside newly-enslaved whites. If the civil war was truly fought against slavery -- a dubious, "politically correct" assertion with no historical evidence to back it up -- then clearly, slavery won.

Lincoln brought secret police to America, along with the traditional midnight "knock on the door", illegally suspending the Bill of Rights and, like the Latin America dictators he anticipated, "disappearing" thousands in the north whose only crime was that they disagreed with him. To finance his crimes against humanity, Lincoln allowed the printing of worthless paper money in unprecedented volumes, ultimately plunging America into a long, grim depression -- in the south, it lasted half a century -- he didn't have to live through, himself.

In the end, Lincoln didn't unite this country -- that can't be done by force -- he divided it along lines of an unspeakably ugly hatred and resentment that continue to exist almost a century and a half after they were drawn. If Lincoln could have been put on trial in Nuremburg for war crimes, he'd have received the same sentence as the highest-ranking Nazis.

If libertarians ran things, they'd melt all the Lincoln pennies, shred all the Lincoln fives, take a wrecking ball to the Lincoln Memorial, and consider erecting monuments to John Wilkes Booth. Libertarians know Lincoln as the worst President America has ever had to suffer, with Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, and Lyndon Johnson running a distant second, third, and fourth.

Conservatives, on the other hand, adore Lincoln, publicly admire his methods, and revere him as the best President America ever had. One wonders: is this because they'd like to do, all over again, all of the things Lincoln did to the American people? Judging from their taste for executions as a substitute for individual self-defense, their penchant for putting people behind bars -- more than any other country in the world, per capita, no matter how poorly it works to reduce crime -- and the bitter distaste they display for Constitutional "technicalities" like the exclusionary rule, which are all that keep America from becoming the world's largest banana republic, one is well-justified in wondering.

The troubling truth is that, more than anybody else's, Abraham Lincoln's career resembles and foreshadows that of V.I. Lenin, who, with somewhat better technology at his disposal, slaughtered millions of innocents -- rather than mere hundreds of thousands -- to enforce an impossibly stupid idea which, in the end, like forced association, was proven by history to be a resounding failure. Abraham Lincoln was America's Lenin, and when America has finally absorbed that painful but illuminating truth, it will finally have begun to recover from the War between the States.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Casimir Radon posted:

The Lando trilogy is still good though.

"Outside, a braid of raspberry red, lemon yellow, and orange orange twisted through the heavens, across a constellation the locals called the Silly Rabbit"

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Casimir Radon posted:

There's no Jedi, no Sith, No Mandolorians, and no emo bullshit. It's just Lando flying around being awesome.

Point taken; that's why I love those pulpy,old Han Solo books.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Diagram of a SSD's bridge tower.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Chairman Capone posted:

Off topic, but from the text blurb there I see that the history of the Executor is yet another part of established EU lore that Force Unleashed shits over.

Yeah, though i'm not sure how the Empire would have the resoruces to build both the Death Star , and the Executor , along with whatever other ships all at once.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 25, 2010

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Thundercleese5 posted:

Where did that diagram come from?

This

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Complete_Locations

It has some pretty good maps in it. Well worth buying if you're into that sort of thing.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here, have some more maps

The most weird part of the DS2 Throne room is that there's a airlock for a shuttle to dock with. And acording to the book one was docked there at the time of the Battle of Endor... So instead of walking a few feet to the near by airlock Luke drags Vader down god knows how many levels to reach a hanger.

T-1000 posted:

That's a good idea. They should invent heavy turbo lasers and cover an even huger ship with them. You don't need to be mobile when all your enemies are dead.

This?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 26, 2010

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Mister Roboto posted:

I'd think the bottomless shaft beside the stairs is the most weird part...

We really need BIG scans of those pics.

I don't have a scanner but I don't think the book itself is hard to find. It's somewhat expensive though but well worth it for A. The art B. The little details and backstory ,for example, it makes a note that "When Senator Palpatine presided over the Theed Power Generator opening ceremony his intrerast in the 'Deep Pit' design was much noted", there was a 'subway' inside the first Death Star (for officers only), Obi Wan's hut was first built by a prospector, little things like that.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 26, 2010

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Starhawk64 posted:

Did the Empire set everyone back a few decades or something?

I bellive the Empire pretty much kept all the good tech for itself. I could be wrong however.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Casimir Radon posted:

There's an [everyone] Antilles.

What about Indiana Antil- oh wait, there is

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Henrietya_Antilles

quote:

Henrietya Antilles, commonly known as Corellia Antilles, was a Human female xenoarchaeologist who was a student of the historian Bleys Harand. She held the academic title of Doctor and worked mostly for the New Republic. Dr. Antilles specialized in dangerous artifact collection, aka "treasure hunting", and was the New Republic's chief advisor on artifact recovery. She was also the subject of a series of popular holoserials.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Might I remind you that the most highly regarded and beloved piece of EU fiction culminated in Luke Skywalker battling a silent clone named Luuke Skywalker. It has always been pulp garbage, some of it was just slightly better pulp garbage than the rest.

Ahem

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q02weIJD3I

So is this real or what..?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I dont know, just suprised me the Lucasfilm would have authorized that.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I just bought my first Star Wars book in a few years, this thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Cross-Sections-Spacecraft/dp/0756627044/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's suprisingly nice, i'm a apregy dork sometimes so i'm loving the art and tech crap.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Fil5000 posted:

Presumably with the notable exceptions of the Back to the Future films and Doctor Who?

and Farscape :smug:

Edit for related content:

I'm kinda curious about the The Essential Guide to Warfare ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Guide_to_Warfare ) Is that spregy of me? Yes, but i'l be damned is that isn't a nice premise for a book

Also, i find the idea that the Empire had thousands of mini-Death Stars to be..odd.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Torpedo_Sphere

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 1, 2011

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Nah, it's fine, I like the spregy fleet junkie stuff like that.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

draize_train posted:

This argument has come up several times in this thread before. Godfather Part II and Temple of Doom are some examples, but prequel films in themselves are rare, and most of them are just cheap and fast cash-ins like Dumb and Dumberer or various "baby" versions of popular franchises...

There's the answer! The prequel's should have focused on Jabba the Hutt's many adventures. That would obviously fit the spirit of Star Wars more then-oh..

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, i found this years ago and thought it was pretty funny. A Maoist review of "Knights of the Old Republic"

http://web.archive.org/web/20071208164749/www.etext.org/Politics/MIM/bookstore/vgames/knightsoftheoldrep.html

quote:

Knights of the Old Republic ... or should we say Cossacks of the Old Republic?

Although many people have given this role playing game rave reviews in the united $tates for mostly technical reasons, even the rabid fans have admitted that it is easier to be evil in this game and that the Jedi Knights are too much more powerful than other characters. Apparently one way to "win" is to kill one's traveling friends.

The universe of Star Wars is not unlike our own. There are the common people, and there are the "great" people. Unlike in our own world, however, the "great" people in Star Wars have their own caste of warrior slaves with special powers who, under the guise of "maintaining stability" move against any insurrection and crush any move to advance the society.

In this game, the player takes a role of one such warrior that calls him/herself a Jedi KNIGHT. The manufacturer doesn't even try to hide the connection to the exploitative feudal system of the Middle Ages.

Throughout the game, choices have to be made, which affect the outcome of the game. Naturally, to a brainwashed child mind, the most exploitative options have been made the simplest, and quickest.

It is far easier to use your powers to steal, than to do charity. The game is far easier if you "go capitalistic," which clearly points to early indoctrination conspiracy by the fascists.

Throughout the game, the player is pitted in fights against common people, where s/he is shown that to resist the powerful means certain death. The deception is perfect, since the player is the power and this pries his/her mind open to indoctrination even more.

As is well known for the fascist bastards, they take enjoyment in killing others, and the game rewards the player for killing common people. In fact, it is not possible to progress in the game without killing commoners, and the manufacturer plainly tells the player: those who have the courage to kill, are strong. Those who don't are weak.

In one part of the game, the player fights for money--to the death. This serves well to illustrate the society, where money is everything and human life is worth nothing. The worth of a corpse is solely a function of its persynal properties, which have to be looted to advance in the game.

All in all, the Cossacks/Knights of the Old Republic is one of the most manipulative pieces of software ever devised. It leeches morality of young minds and prepares them to kill their peers to prevent a revolution. After all... the strong fascist knight shall always win.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I still like the first concept of the Palpatine from the ANH novel

quote:

Another galaxy, another time.

The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that... it was the Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.

But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.

From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples...

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 4, 2011

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
While randomly broswing Wookieepedia I came across this.

quote:

The Jedi Academy Training Manual erroneously states that Mon Mothma was at one time possessed by the spirit of Exar Kun.[49]

What?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Chairman Capone posted:

Whoever wrote that probably read a brief synopsis of the Jedi Academy Trilogy, which had Exar Kun possessing other people and Mon Mothma getting poisoned, and conflated the two events.

Ah, that makes sense now, it just seemed completely random at first.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Well, the Czech cover to Heir to the Empire is um...well it's...

This.

Speaking of Heir to the Empire... http://www.eucantina.net/archives/9605

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 14, 2011

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think the vaguely Asian Thrawn would be a good avatar.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Derek Dominoe posted:

Also, who was the general in Echo Base? The guy who was sorry to see Han go, etc.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carlist_Rieekan

This guy

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Croatian posted:

What species do Han Solo, Lando, and basically most protagonists belong to?

If the setting is a long time ago in a galaxy far away, how is it possible that they are modern Earth humans?

I imagine that's been asked before but I couldn't find the question.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Exodus

This, duh

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Fox of Stone posted:

I just looked at the link and saw further links to "A Call to Reason" and "Declaration of Rebellion." I didn't know that star wars fanfic writers went that far to outright copy the writings right before the american revolution. :psyduck:

Too blatent?

"We, the beings of the Rebel Alliance, do this day send forth this Declaration to His Majesty, the Emperor, and to all sentient beings in the Galaxy, to make clear to all the Purposes and Goals of this Rebellion. We firmly acknowledge the importance and necessity of the institution of Galactic Government. We accept that all must subjugate themselves to that Government, giving up certain rights and freedoms, in return for peace, prosperity and happiness for all.

We believe that the Galactic Government derives its power and right to rule from the consent of the governed. We believe that, should the rights of free beings be willfully and malignantly usurped, it is the unalienable right of said beings to alter or abolish said Government.

We believe that the Galactic Empire has willfully and malignantly usurped the rights of the free beings of the Galaxy and therefore, it is our unalienable right to abolish it from the Galaxy.

We do not take this course lightly. Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes, but when a Government displays a history of usurpation, abuse and moral atrocity, displaying a clear design to subjugate totally and absolutely beings born free under the auspices of nature, it is our right—our duty—to depose of that Government.

The history of the present Galactic Empire is of repeated injuries upon its members, with the direct objective of establishing you, Emperor Palpatine, as absolute tyrant over the Galaxy:

You have disbanded the Senate, the voice of the people;
You have instituted a policy of blatant racism and genocide against the nonhuman peoples of the Galaxy;
You have overthrown the chosen leaders of planets, replacing them with Moffs and Governors of your choice;
You have raised taxes without the consent of those taxed;
You have murdered and imprisoned millions without benefit of trial;
You have unlawfully taken land and property;
You have expanded the military far beyond what is necessary and prudent, for the sole purpose of oppressing your subjects.
We, the Rebel Alliance, do therefore in the name—and by the authority—of the free beings of the Galaxy, solemnly publish and declare our intentions:

To fight and oppose you and your forces, by any and all means at our disposal;
To refuse any Imperial law contrary to the rights of free beings;
To bring about your destruction and the destruction of the Galactic Empire;
To make forever free all beings in the galaxy.
To these ends, we pledge our property, our honor, and our lives."

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anyone read that Yoda book? Its pretty good (if pulpy as hell) until near the end where they decided "Hey Yoda can't carry this book himself, have Obiman and the Boy Wonder turn up to save the day!"

Is there an event that happens during the clone wars those two ar'nt directly involved in? Its worse than the death star plans I swear to god.

Yeah, that Yoda book is suprisngly fun to read.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

KaosFactor posted:

Didn't Piette crash in to the Death Star?

No, he survived and crash landed on Endor, where he fought man-eating Ewoks and fell in love with Mon Mothma.

It's in Knightfall by KJA

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 27, 2011

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

arioch posted:

Only about the KJA and canon part.

https://www.piett.org/fiction/story-piettmothma.html

I was refrencing this but that's pretty hilarious too

http://home.mnet-online.de/swlg/pagea/p1.html

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1372171/What-earth-happened-Luke-Skywalker-The-Force-longer-Mark-Hamill.html

Mark,what happend?

edit:

Is it just me or did Wookieepedia switch to this ugly red font?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Pops Mgee posted:

Well they do have dvd sets of both the prequel and original trilogy already. Odds are it's info on the blu-rays, 3d releases, or that tv show that has been in development forever.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304194710&sr=8-2

these?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00421A4EK

What sort of personn would wear this in public?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

NGL posted:

As fantasy movies for 6-year-olds, they don't completely suck. The first is narrated by Burl Ives. The second stars Wilford Brimley.

That sure is some beard.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Slantedfloors posted:

You didn't even get to the part where the Grandpa Wookie has a wet dream to a woman covered in tinsel, weakling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emY5n8O9owo&feature=related

Here you go, seriously it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Chairman Capone posted:

This can't be real, even for the EU...is it?

EU? You want some EU? here, take your EU.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rainboh

Thespis posted:

Has anyone else been on the new Star Tours ride? Loved it so much I'm going again next weekend. I wanna talk to someone about it!

Would you guys like some ride spoilers?

Sure, i'm honestly curious, how was it?