Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Ok, really stupid question here, but why, exactly, does everybody hate The Galactic Empire? I mean, yea, it's ruled by the Sith lord and his apprentice, but nobody in the movies ever really say what the Empire does that really is so bad, other than taking extreme measures to pacify a violent rebellious uprising, but what ELSE do they do that everybody hates? What made the Rebellion start other than the fact that it was an empire rather than a republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

I wrote up a post answering the question, but then I lost it.

So to sum it up beyond what's in the OP:

The Galactic Empire is Nazi Germany with aliens replacing Hitler's Untermenschen. Everything Hitler did - campaigns of terror, wanton brutality, warmongering - Palpatine is guilty of as well. They both used the same deception strategies too - promise a war-torn nation/galaxy peace, stability and order. Use an attempted "coup" (Reichstag Fire/Jedi Coup) to consolidate power without appearing to be overtly seizing it. Institute organizations to ensure ideological purity (Nazi Party/COMPNOR), crush any signs of revolt as soon as they appear.
Makes sense to me! I think they should have alluded to that more thoroughly in the movies, though. I mean, you could have called the Rebel Alliance "terrorists" and would have little to no trouble putting a whole different spin on the entire trilogy. They'd still be assholes, but they could be the "over-reacting assholes that still think they're doing something good" that could cause America-related derails for pages. :v:

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 16, 2010

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Slantedfloors posted:

I find the idea the Alderaan had no weapons kind of stupid, what with the clearly armed Security Staff on their clearly armed Blockade Runner.
Vader's defense: They had armed guards around their spaceports! You saw them holding blasters! We were defending ourselves!

Also, I apologize for not reading the OP carefully enough. I honestly didn't expect this question to be asked very often, and especially not asked seriously.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Everything I've ever heard about the EU makes it seem like an enormous clusterfuck.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

Pretty much. Especially now that George has figured out the the Clone wars = $$$. I think we have like three separate versions of how the Clone wars happened. I think the Dark Horse stories put out are gone due to the show and I would think the old Clone wars show is gone now too due to the TV show.
How is the Clone Wars more $$$ than the original trilogy? The originals have been pushing merchandise of all kinds since their debut. I couldn't even tell you how much all the toys I got during my childhood costed. If there's really any difference I've noticed, it's that the Clone Wars seems to be getting TV shows, whereas I don't know if the original movies got that much. I guess that IS a big deal.

Also, when you talk about "the show", I'm not sure which you're talking about. The only ones I'm aware of was the Tartakovski mini-series, and then the CG one based on his style.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

New markets, Why just sell OT stuff when you can sell Clone wars toys too. I don't agree but Someone over at Lucasfilm thinks that Star Wars has to stay "fresh" and Modern for kids to want to own the toys that go along with it. All the new stuff at Celebration V was about the Clone wars show or the Old Republic, The OT stuff isn't even brought up anymore.

And the new show is a Show on Cartoon network about Anakin and his student based between attack of the clones and revenge of the sith.
Oh, I never said they wouldn't cash in on the new stuff, I'm just asking how is the NEW stuff supposedly so money-focused, as though the old stuff hasn't been pumping out new merchandise for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

That show is incredibly hit or miss. My son just started watching these after i've resisted it for a couple years. The narrator doing a lovely 1940s newsflash voice at the beginning is terrible.
It gets worse when you realize that it's literally the exact same voice as the narrator from The Powerpuff Girls. He didn't even mix things up, it's the same drat voice.

Also, is the new CG series still directed by Tartakovski? If there's one thing he's really not good with, it's being serious. Samurai Jack, and the first Clone Wars cartoon series showed that when he tries to make a cartoon which takes itself seriously, it just ends up looking too goofy and being written weird. When he takes a more humorous approach, things get significantly more clever.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 17, 2010