Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Hell yeah new thread. What an appropriate title.

I recently found out that an acquaintance of mine was an honest-to-god "fandalorian" type. He referred to Traviss as Karen and everything. It was so sad. I honestly feel bad for him, he's a nice enough person but christ. After gushing about her books and how the Jedi get away with so much terrible poo poo he went on a rant about the New Mandalorians in the CG Clone Wars cartoon. I regret mentioning Star Wars in his presence (Celebration is in town and on people's minds here, sooo).

I forget who said it in the last thread but I hate Star Wars almost as much as I love Star Wars. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cad Bane sucks.
How can you say this? Look at your avatar. Look at it. You are hat-buddies. Bros. Soulmates.

I mean, you're pretty much obligated to like Bane for his fashion sense alone. :colbert:

Traxus IV fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 17, 2010

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Bene Elim posted:

Actual question: What is the benefit, if any, to holding a lightsaber in a reverse-grip, as Starkiller, Ashoka and apparently now Revan do?

Edit: No, it does not look cooler.
Wait, Revan does that? Since when, and where can I see it? Not that I don't believe you, but I want to believe it isn't true. :(

And yeah, the Savage Oppress thing is dumb. Really dumb. It doesn't help that the intro video for him just has the guy growling the whole time when he's handed over to Dooku. Oh man, what a badass! Err, I mean, what a savage! :rolleyes:

That said, I'll probably still watch the next season (though there isn't a rolleyes big enough for Bane with a lightsaber). It's a pretty entertaining show when I switch off my inner sperglord.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Captain Splendid posted:

Didn't see this posted yet.

It seems Obi-Wan's homeworld being named after Jon Stewart is official.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Bene Elim posted:

Sorry.(Go to the Jedi Civil War video.)

Apparently he's also now taller then Malak, and Carth is important. Bioware :argh:!
BLAAAAG. Way to completely invalidate all the poo poo about Revan and his/her (I'm bitter that they made Revan a man, yes) motives from KOTOR2. Can't have nuance and intrigue in our Star Wars - quick, to the retconmobile!

Though I dunno why it surprises me. You'd think I'd have realized by now that everything I love about Star Wars will one day be invalidated or otherwise tarnished. :(

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Mister_Eel posted:

I think I'm just depressed because of how much of an effect Star Wars use to have on me. Now I "psh" at just about everything not related to the OT or Thrawn.
Yeah, I'm pretty much this same way. I loved Star Wars for so long that I've essentially burnt out on it and am just so tired of all the garbage that gets included in every new Star Wars project. The wide-eyed wonder of the original movies has given way to the cynical sneer of everything else (save for a few rare gems, like the Thrawn stuff). But I keep reading summaries and following Star Wars news because I can't let it go even though I have zero interest in these new books and games and everything. Star Wars might be great again someday, and I really want to give it that chance. I feel like a battered spouse. :(

Pththya-lyi posted:

Speaking of terrible Star Wars names, here's how you make up your own! This is buried deep in the last thread, but I think it's worth posting again.

-For the first name, take the first three letters of your surname and add the first two letters of your first name.
-For the surname, take the first two letters of your mother's maiden name and add the first three letters of your birthplace.
Going by these rules I'd be Krama Whwya. Authentic Star Wars Name terribleness! How would you even say that poo poo.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Dick Trauma posted:

It seemed like people were responding to them as if they were not silly Tarkin references. V:shobon:V
We are all jaded and bitter Star Wars fans, speaking in references becomes a matter of course after a point. Fluent in six million forms of communication, etc. etc.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Every time I come back to this thread it seems that everybody has become a bit more bitter and jaded and plain ol' tired of all these Star Wars. How much longer until George Lucas gets the ABSOLUTE FUCKER treatment that George R.R. Martin gets over in the Bad Thread in the Book Barn?

Because this thread's hate is strong. :allears:

Azzmo posted:

They literally had her come out of nowhere (politically) at the end of LotF to take power. I don't even think there was a vote - it seemed like a "We should have Daala as Chief of State!" So it was basically one last gently caress you to the people who wasted their time reading LotF. It's also symptomatic of the reason I no longer read Star Wars books, that being a subtle contempt towards the readers and the franchise on the part of the authors.

Yeah, LotF killed my last remaining interest in the books, too. Sometimes I daydream about burning those novels along with the Swarm War trilogy but really nothing can take that poo poo back. It is permanently etched into my brain. I can't remember important stuff like when the next department meeting is but hey, awful Star Wars trivia will stick around forever!

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Man, don't ever watch AOTC with anyone who is one of those crazy Mandalorian fans who honestly holds that view. It's pretty awful.

Or hilarious, if you're in the proper mindset (drunk).

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Toplowtech posted:

Casimir Radon posted:

My friend, did Obi-Wan ever tell you about the time I was captured and brutally tortured for months at a time while he and the liberal elite were busy playing ski-ball?
Fixed.

Friend.

Chairman Capone posted:

Any good stories to share? I would really love to hear them. The only time I've seen a rabid Mandalorian fan in real life was actually by complete chance, I was going to see a (non-Star Wars) movie and in the parking lot I saw a guy getting out of a car covered in Mandalorian insignia and Traviss language poo poo.

It's been a while, so my memories of the AOTC incident are a little hazy. Basically I'm friends with this guy and we hang out every once in a while; he's a decent person aside from the rabid Mandalorian thing and some of his personal politics but so long as the conversation stays away from those topics he's a cool dude. But the time I got roped into watching AOTC was pretty bad - he had invited some of his other friends over as well as me and they, too, were all rabid fandalorians. I was unaware of this until we got the movie started.

The evening essentially went, "Discuss the evils and selfishness of Jedi unless a Fett is onscreen - then cheer and hoot whenever they do anything." The lot of them went nuts when Jango killed that mook Jedi in the arena, and got angry when he was decapitated. It was ridiculous. And then when the clones started dying they were all upset and started badmouthing the Jedi again. It was like a group of sports fans watching their favorite team lose a game, but more pathetic because this is a movie that they have all seen a billion times and they know what happens already. As a bonus, they all knew a few words of Traviss' fake language and would, in all seriousness, use them in conversation with each other. I was pretty buzzed by this time, though, so it only got more and more hilarious to watch them do this.

I started avoiding my friend after that unless he could guarantee that there'd be no more surprises like that. I mean, I'm a Star Wars geek, too, but the level he and his friends have taken their obsession to is just nuts.

Funfact: one of those other guys honest to god named his son Anakin. After hearing him talk poo poo about the Jedi for a few hours I can only imagine that he named his son after the guy who killed off the Jedi Order because he hates them so much.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Nucleic Acids posted:

And what is it with Fandalorians and right-wing politics (I can only guess that you were thinking of that)? I still remember in the old thread the mentions of that near-Monarchist Catholic fandalorian who had a meltdown when he finally realized that Traviss had included a gay couple in her work.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. He's said some downright hateful and ignorant (in my opinion) things when he talks politics. He also tells racist jokes and doesn't understand when I don't laugh. v:downs:v Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop being his friend, just means I tell him I don't wanna talk about how great Palin is and that I really don't appreciate some of his jokes.

So, how 'bout them Star Wars, eh? I sure am sick of 'em! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Mr.Graves posted:

Also, thanks to whoever bought me this kick rear end avatar. I will dedicate my next Wedge Fic to you.

I'm glad you like it! I'm very behind on reading through this thread and just got to your rant on page 92 but it made me laugh pretty hard and the rest is history I guess.