Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderjelly posted:

What's the deal with Starkiller?

He's hilarious. He is exactly a fanfiction character written by a 9 year old Dragonball Z fan. He basically embodies the entire goofy-rear end EU in one silly character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, there's apparantly The Force Unleashed II spoilers coming out which sound pretty hilarious. Apparantly the game ends on a gigantic cliffhanger that won't be resolved since the third game got canned.

Apparently Starkiller and Juno beat Darth Vader up and the Rebel Alliance captures Vader. That's the ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

How do you can a third game before the second is released?

Shakeups at LucasArts. They have a new President, IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

So what's Lucasarts up to now if not video games?

Still video games, but apparently not the same kind of video games.

A friend of mine has the book and explains what the ending sequence is:

Starkiller leads an assault on Kamino where Vader is breeding Starkiller clones. Vader tries to send PROXY droids and failed clones after him and fails. Vader captures Juno and tries to make Starkiller submit, but Juno gets one of Starkiller's sabers and attacks (and apparently wounds?) Vader. Vader Force Pushes her and seemingly kills her, and then Starkiller goes apeshit and almost kills Vader. Kota urges Starkiller not to kill Vader.

(This is really clearly where the Good/Evil choice will be)

Starkiller decides not to kill Vader. It turns out Juno was just fine. Since nobody knows if Starkiller is really a clone or not, the good guys decide to keep him a secret. Also so the Rebel Alliance won't learn to depend on him too much. Vader is taken off the the Rebel's base as a prisoner. To Be Continued

Other funs bits of info:

Apparently Juno Eclipse is Leia's "role model" and Leia bases herself after her.

Yoda shows up but doesn't do much of anything apparently.

There is a scene where Admiral Ackbar encounters a trap. I'm pretty sure you can figure out what happens.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 8, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ein Bear posted:

What the gently caress.

So does this mean the Rebels had a nigh-unstoppable Jedi badass on their side throughout the entire OT, and just decided not to use him because they didn't want to depend on him?

Well, apparently he stays in the background because he doesn't want the Rebel Alliance to depend on him. I guess he helps out behind the scenes and nobody thinks to mention the hyper-Jedi that's going around blowing up planets or whatever Starkiller is doing this week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm more pissed (a relative term) about the yoda spoiler. Really? He just happens to find some way off dagobah, does his bit in the game, then returns? What's the loving point of Luke god drat Skywalker when you have Starkiller and Yoda hoppin about?

And again, like it was posted earlier this poo poo is supposed to be movie level canon?

Actually, to my understanding Yoda only shows up when Starkiller visits Dagobah and goes into the cave that Luke went into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Cut to the chase. What does Wedge do in the book?

Apparently he pilots a Y-Wing and blows the gently caress out of some TIE Fighters while being a smartass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, Wedge is in TFU2?

That is what I'm told, yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Star Wars: Infinities

So people have read these, right? They weren't written very well, but the concepts had potential.

I wonder why prequel versions were never made? They are full of more material like that.

Episode 1: What if Obi-Wan died and Qui-Gon lived?
Episode 2: What if it didn't suck?
Episode 3: Pretty much every event going a different way would change the SW universe, from Yoda dying to Anakin winning to Palpatine losing.

There actually was a "What If Anakin Won" scenario in the RotS video game. The answer is "he kills Palpatine and takes over."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quote:

What has caused this sudden change of heart for Uncle George? Well, besides the obvious possible billions that a new Star Wars trilogy will take in, our source tells us that George has gotten motivated with the success the Clone Wars animated series, the video games and also with the success of Avatar.

Red Letter Media sure as hell is seeming accurate at the moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Darksaber, while terrible, was better than anything Lucas can do.

Kevin J Anderson is a master of modern literature compared to the last 15 years of Lucas.

Lucas already did Darksaber, remember?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BullProofMonk posted:

We had a son on October 6th. We named him Anakin Tiberius.

This was not the first Anakin Tiberius born there this month.

Welp, when he grows up and kills a bunch of kids before being crushed by a bridge, you have nobody but yourself to blame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't read much EU, but I remember something in specific because it was so stupid. Wookiepedia says it was The Crystal Star that introduced a race that is super-beautiful and super-fragile so that it will die if they have sex with a human, but apparently some seek it out anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Exactly. On the surface, yeah, it's probably a screw up with Lucas not realizing that he would have Padme die right after giving birth. I read that when Lucas originally "planned" Episode III many many years ago, Lucas was going to have Luke and Leia be three years old, not born at the end.

However, it's one of the easiest fixes when it comes to discrepancies with the prequels. Leia was remembering her adoptive mother, Bail's wife, when she remembers her mother, and she died when Leia was young. When Luke asked Leia if she remembered her mother, he hadn't said he was her brother yet, so she would have no reason to think he meant anyone other than Bail's wife.

Doesn't Luke say "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how much does TFUII poo poo on the established continuity?

Well, it ends with Darth Vader being arrested and taken to the rebel base on Dantooine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh poo poo, I already knew that from earlier in the thread. No joke, the plot is suddenly coming back to me. I, honest to god, blacked it out of my memory.

FUUUCK

To be fair, there's some hilarious indication that Darth Vader threw the entire fight so he could train his other, even more secret Dark Apprentice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

So the rebel base really was on Dantooine? :psypop:

Presumably Vader destroys it while escaping or something. Which... makes the entire exchange with Leia telling Tarkin about it make no sense. Especially since Leia is explicitly shown as knowing Vader was being taken to Dantooine. She talks to Starkiller about it.

Actually, that brings up something: Luke sure probably was pissed when he found out the Rebel Alliance had their own Jedi and Leia was on good terms with a dude who made Luke look like a five year old and kicked their father's rear end on multiple occasions.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 3, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They probably had Vader blindfolded the entire time, so it's OK.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Not quite!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Forum Actuary posted:

About the FUII ending, how do they capture Vader without him just killing people with the force?

It's not really explained. As mentioned there's some indication he's letting himself get captured. This doesn't explain why either of the Jedi present as his capture don't wonder what the deal is with him not force choking everything in a three mile radius.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vseslav.botkin posted:

I dunno, Anakin building Artoo still leaves us with the problem of "why not build something that his mom might actually use?" I somehow doubt she has much use for an astromech droid, even if it can fly and hack into the Death Star and project holograms of princesses in distress. At most, you might get a useful beverage delivery system if you put a tray on top of him.

Of course, you actually have the same problem in the original trilogy, but there's enough good stuff around it you don't really notice....

Considering Uncle Owen wanted to buy one in the original movies, presumably it has uses beyond spaceship stuff. He wanted to buy C3-P0 as well, but that is because his wife yelled at him to get a translator that spoke whateverthehellese, which is presumably less useful for a slave then a fixit robot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You figure they could simply build LARGER more effective guns

Perhaps some kind of laser, a laser powerful enough to destroy an entire planet!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luke read up on his dad and discovered that he was actually a gigantic whiny douchebag. He felt that Kyp was probably the most logical successor to the Anakin Skywalker Whiny Douchebag legacy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The more I think about it the more I don't like the idea of "Force sensitivity" being what makes you able to become a Jedi/Force user. It kind of cheapens the idea of the Force being this all encompassing energy and instead just makes it like D&D magic.

I don't mean everyone should be able to run around doing Jedi level stuff but treating the Force like its something you have to be genetically disposed to even feel is stupid.

Return of the Jedi posted:

"Luke, don't talk that way! You have a power I don't understand and could never have."

"You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it and. My sister has it."

Stupid or not, that is how it has always been.

CobiWann posted:

Seems an appropriate place...

Director of "Empire Strikes Back" Irvin Kershner passes away.

Balls! First Leslie Nielson and now this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

Is there any truth to Lucas' assertion that he's had the whole series planned out? For instance,what would 1977 George Lucas be able to tell us about the Clone Wars,or Palpatines political maneuvering.

I've been watching the cgi Clone wars cartoon recently and am surprised at how good it is. The action sequences are exciting and the story lines are more involved than anything Star Wars related since the OT.

No. George Lucas wrote a letter to the people responsible for Lost where he flat-out said that he made everything up as he went along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That DICK! posted:

I have a question - Why is Owen Lars so loving stupid? Why be a Moisture Farmer on a desert planet?

Because you don't want to/can't afford to go somewhere else and moisture would be a pretty valuable resource on a desert planet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Dont forget the 1998 classic "WWII Online".

Wait, are you kidding? That is still running?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been posted (these threads have been around for so long I don't remember all the questions):

Why was Admiral Ozzel's decision to come out of hyperspace on top of Hoth such a bad decision? It's said in movie and on wookipedia that it gave time for the rebels to prepare. How's that? Wouldn't slowboating from the outskirts of the system dramatically improve their chances of being detected? :confused:

It gave the rebels more escape routes because the empire was all bunched up, I think. If they'd come away farther from the system, they could have worked to cut off their escape better. Ozzel though he could surprise them before they got away.

(This doesn't work because blocking off a system would require a comical number of ships but it's a fantasy movie.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I... honestly have a hard time thinking of good EU things.

I'm one of those people who always found Thrawn kind of stupid. "Attempting tactics" is nice but "I look at your art and am able to tell exactly what you will do in insane detail" just doesn't work for me.

It is sort of depressing to realize I know a lot about the EU but can't actually think of anything I can call anything more then a guilty pleasure implementation of an objectively bad idea.

What I'm saying is that I love the gently caress out of Kyle Katarn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChineseTea posted:

What exactly was Darth Nihilus. From KOTOR 2, I understand that he was some sort of physical manifestation of the dark side of the Force but what does that actually mean. Was he "dead" or even a living thing. If so, how was he able to be killed by the Exile when it was implied he has some insane powers such as being able to kill everything on Katarr by the Force alone.

He was a very interesting concept but some aspects of him (it?) were quite baffling, more so since my main source of SW EU knowledge are through games. His entry on Wookipedia got very technical about him being a "wound of the Force" or something so I'm hoping someone can provide me with more details on this guy.

He's basically the Exile's dark counterpart. He is a regular dude who got so hosed up by the destruction of a planet that he basically began to suck the force like a force vampire until he became nothing but a horrible monster leech. The reason the Exile could kill him was because the Exile was hosed up in a somewhat similar way and so Darth Nihilus couldn't Force Vampire him, and as an end result, was just a regular guy who got lightsabered in the face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Admittedly we don't know yet. They came from leaked audio, which fans then dubbed over the scenes to show what it will look like. It's just really hard to believe it isn't true at this point.

They've confirmed the No is in the film. That and the Puppet Yoda being replaced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dogflaps posted:

My girlfriend just showed me that she's had the Star Wars Blu Ray boxset hidden in her cupboard for the last 2 days. I can't open it until my birthday on the 24th.

This will be the longest 13 days of my life.

Gonna spoil it for ya. Darth Vader is Luke's father. Sorry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

arioch posted:

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midichlorian count that high. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I think it's more the crazy Mandalorian worship that exists now is the natural outgrowth of the irrational Fett love from the 80s/90s. Back then, they only had Fett to sperg over; now thanks to the EU, they have moved on to the wider world of Traviss and Friends.

The one Fett thing I've never understood is how so many people take the "No disintegrations" line from ESB as being some kind of evidence that Fett stands up to Vader or Vader is frightened of/respects him or whatever.

Because every other person who follows Vader's orders does so out of fear or gets their poo poo choked when they screw up. The implication there is that this is something Vader has to remind Fett about and in turn Vader has for whatever reason not broken Fett's neck in a previous encounter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

Hey, how about a Star Wars question up in this thread?

So the Yuzon Vong came from another galaxy? They actually traveled the distance between two galaxies to invade the Star Wars galaxy? Wouldn't the titanic accumulation and expenditure of resources that would take more easily be used to fix whatever's wrong with the galaxy you're in? Hell, wouldn't you have time to evolve a few genetic adaptations to whatever's ailing you in the time it takes to get there? Is my incredulity coming across in these questions?

This is a species that have loving black hole shields and volcano cannons. I'm pretty sure that is the least of your problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't like the Maul thing is the first time this has happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Kyle Katarn, but what in the everliving gently caress is that thing?

Maw. One of the bosses from Jedi Knight. Kyle's version of Obi-wan cut him in half in the opening cutscene and he returned with his lower half replaced by a hovercraft.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qntm posted:

So, exactly what's the reason that Luke/Han/Leia/etc. can't be killed off in the EU novels? Who enforces that rule? I thought Lucas didn't care about that kind of thing as long as he still made money.

Anyway the reason I ask is, why not have a book in which "Luke dies!!", but then another book brings him back a few years later? Seems like a great way to get around that edict. You could even get press coverage out of an event like that.

Lucas personally may not care but he pays people to care for him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm completely confused about the Sith. I thought there were only supposed to be 2 of them at a time? Yet the EU has stuff about Darth's Vader's apprentice, and there's a whole empire of them in the Old Republic.

Vader's Apprentice was, in theory, supposed to be a secret that he was training in order to kill the Emperor later. The Emperor basically lets it go on long enough to then order Vader to assassinate his rear end when it becomes trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

SWTOR and especially my companion Vette made me read more about the Twi'leks and now I have a question: Why did they retcon their homeplanet Ryloth from an unusual, interesting tidal locked one into a boring normally rotating one in Clone Wars? Why?

Edit:
I mean, are the people making these shows retards? Reading at least a short description of the planet as preparation for making an episode wouldn't take more than five minutes. What the gently caress?

They literally don't care about the Extended Universe. Lucas is free to do whatever he wants and the EU has to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Ryloth was an opportunity for having a unique, unusual location with interesting visuals. What wasted potential. I can understand ignoring all the crap in the EU, but changing Ryloth was just unnecessary. :psyduck:

Accepting the EU means that you're at least somewhat obligated to stick with the EU, even if it would involve altering your story. Simply ignoring it gives the show writers more freedom to do what they want instead of needing to be familiar with a bunch of extracanon stuff.