Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
I laughed so hard at the lightsaber claws sequence up there. If ever you needed an example of EU oneupmanship I'd suggest pointing the subject in that direction. They're trying so hard for cool that they've completely forgotten about the utility of the concept. See also: the Prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

Mr.Graves posted:

I don't know what the hell you kids are talking about with your Atari video game comic book whatsists and your universe extensions but it needs to be made clear that Wedge Antilles is the real loving hero of the entire series and everyone else is a pussy that exists only to contrast the fact that the Death Star blueprints were fashioned after an analysis of just one of his balls. That's right. His testicles could destroy planets, motherfuckers.

Wedge Antilles would have flown his space motorcycle through the halls of the Death Star and right into the Emperor's lounge and fired his proton torpedoes right into the Emperor's rear end while the Emperor tried to pull the start cord on his electricity gloves or whatever. He would have then have done a plasma donut in the space command center while the British-star-nazi-orcs or whatever the hell they were scrambled all over the place and his plasma jets would have burned Vader's face off while he sped out. The last thing Vader would see would be Wedge Antilles lifting a glass of space Cognac and flicking a lit cigarette out of his cockpit at him before Antilles sped off to gently caress a squadron of big titted tentacle bitches. His command of gently caress yeah was so complete that the loving laws of physics would reverse themselves in respect for him and laser blasts would make noise in his reality just to honour him.

Wedge Antilles was so loving awesome they could have sent him alone against the entire Empire but they knew that if they did the carnage he would have rained down on them would have terrified the rest of the universe into galvanizing against the Rebels. Wedge was deployed in strategic restraint mode only.

WEDGE ANTILLES WAS AWESOME. DO YOU KNOW HOW loving AWESOME HE WAS? HE WAS SO loving AWESOME THAT THE FIRST THREE MOVIES SUCKED EVEN WORSE THAN YOU REMEMBER. NINE HOURS OF JAR JAR LEADING ADORABLE EWOKS ON THE PLANET OF BUYMATTEL AGAINST GROWNUP NAZI ZOMBIES AND WEDGE ANTILLES WENT BACK IN TIME AND ALTERED HISTORY BECAUSE HE COULDN'T STAND HOW lovely THEY WERE. THE ONLY REASON THEY STILL SUCK IS BECAUSE HE HAD MORE BIG TITTED TENTACLE BITCHES ON HIS SCHEDULE TO LAY INTO SO HE RAN OUT OF TIME FOR YOUR rear end. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO APPRECIATE THE THINGS HE HAS DONE FOR YOU. WEDGE. loving. ANTILLES.

I agree with most of this. What of Garik "Face" Loran's role in all of this?

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, just look at the long description of rules for this card. They couldn't even fit a picture on there!

I eventually got into playing the CCG but my friends were never interested. It was pretty great just for collecting, though, due to all of the stories and art. I eventually managed to acquire all of the named Star Destroyers (prior to Cloud City when interest dried up).

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Dealing with smaller scale arenas, like smaller warlords and other local powers, would provide easily enough material for writing.

It seems Del Rey has taken Lucas' mantra of "Faster, more intense" as publishing gospel. I have to wonder if there have been hundreds of proposed projects along the lines you suggested that have been declined in favor of the tripe they have been excreting.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I understand that they wanted to give the main characters a "real challenge" with the Yuuzhan Vong but it just feels like the conflict is never resolved. It just seems to die after it was completely out of steam and almost seems like it was retconned out of existence.

I know Legacy has the Vong in it but shouldn't these guys be everywhere? I remember reading the background about how they're rightfully despised and essentially live in secret enclaves but they conquered half the galaxy. Shouldn't there be some presence or contribution from them?

Somehow the extra-galactic invaders, who came in sufficient numbers to take over 2/3 of the galaxy, all settled on Zenoma Sekot and were never heard from again.

For me the EU ends about 2/3 into NJO. I was down with the brushfire alien threats of the week because it is somewhat plausible that there would be small areas of the galaxy with aggressive, expansionist species. Tell those stories! I love reading about stuff happening in the Star Wars universe. I was down for the Vong invasion because it initially felt appropriately epic in scale and dire. Once Zenoma Deus Ex shows up there is no longer any point to anything.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

It really shows the state of the EU when I can't be completly sure that you are joking.

This made me laugh.

Twice as hard as it should have because I didn't even realize his post was a joke until I read your post (his post WAS a joke, right?)

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

Found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTdWHWFHB8

Notice the female voice they gave the A-Wing pilot?

YO YOSH

Watching that without my brain engaged in the dialogue really made me appreciate the special effects and the visual aspects of what they did as a whole. There's a sense of mass to the ships. They seem to have tangible surfaces and some of the camera moves that they did while panning across the models (with the fighters added in later) just work. That's probably one of the most brilliant 8 minutes of film that I'll ever see.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
I wish more people were as not boring as he is. He knows he's the bees knees and he says so.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

Chaos Hippy posted:

Personally, if the game is fun, I don't give a gently caress. I understand that this is a franchise job, and all that entails. Just as I understand that, when making something as big as an MMO, some of Bioware's corners will have to be cut. The bigger the game, the less room in the budget for innovation.

And the greater need to get tons of players quick. This was most likely a marketing decision, and it probably wasn't Bioware that made it.

Now I don't have anything original to say about it. But that's exactly it, I think. I was getting really worked up about the trailers 6 months ago but I decided that this game is only Star Wars inasmuch as it uses the franchise's iconic imagery. It has absolutely 0 canonicity and, when approached as such, it looks pretty great. We basically get to pretend we're in Empire Strikes Back era Star Wars with a different storyline.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
Madine is in a tight competition with

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
If the whip could be made to work it seems like a legitimately dangerous weapon when used in group combat. 1v1 it would be a disaster.

This hula saber, though - completely useless for anything.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I actually have the first Coruscant Nights lying around here somewhere, is it worth a read?

Yeah. Hell yeah. That's a really good book that I always forget to recommend to people.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Watch this while listening to "All the Wine" by The National. It's like a sad music video piece showcasing one of the last gently caress yous from George Lucas to the fans.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Savage_Opress
Every time you think Star Wars couldn't get any dumber, it always surprises.

THE NIGHTBROTHER CLAN

God loving drat these Star Wars. This thread is just poisoning it.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
Yeah I can't agree that Attack of the Clones is worse than the Holiday Special. HS is the quintessential example of a cash in for the entire television and film collective and is one of the only things that ever comes to mind when I hear somebody say "So bad it's painful". Usually the idiom is thrown around casually but for Holiday Special it is completely legitimate. The Holiday Special is torment. von Trapp's classification as a Cthonic is brilliant in that 1 in 10 viewers are committed to in-patient treatment in a mental health facility within two weeks of viewing.

Attack of the Clones is just so bad it's embarassing. But it has quality in parts. The Holiday Special gives no reprieve. It is a frenzied and constant assault on your sanity from beginning to end.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

There is no Star Wars stuff being released for adults anymore. Everything is either aimed at children or being written by grown up children.

Also - Episode 1 as a Role Playing campaign. If you have any knowledge at all of how tabletop gaming works try to get at least 10 pages in and see if it grabs you. I ended up getting some good laughs out of this.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

No offense but this is actually really dumb because Star Wars started as a movie for children. That's not to say some of the dumb stuff is forgivable or adults can't enjoy it(I'm an unabashed fan), but I cant really say Star Wars was ever "mature".

Empire Strikes Back would be the obvious counter to that.

I'd like to know where it was stated that the series started aimed at children? I know that Lucas was inspired by the Flash Gordon serials but I've never had the impression that any of the original three films were made for children. As far as I'm aware the science fiction genre is pretty inclusive in that rarely do the films skew such that a 10 year old and a 30 year old would disagree much on its quality.

Most Star Wars media released since the Prequels came out is pretty obviously aimed at kids in a "Saturday Morning Cartoon" type of way. My perception of lower quality is a product of a decade of min/maxing effort/profit by LucasFilm.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
Consensus amongst a huge portion of your fan base that you should never have used an actor? Feature him on the cover of your Blu Ray release.

They should have used:

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
What's wrong with Luke's faaaaaace?

If anybody is looking for some easy but informative summer reading there's a fascinating glimpse into life in the dust bowl that you'd probably not otherwise hear about.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Somehow, Anakin's burn scars were hereditary?

You think this is FUNNY?

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

http://amzn.com/B004MNOXOA

Deadly serious. Apparently, it took fans four years to convince Hasbro that no, they weren't joking, and they really wanted a Willrow Hood figure.

I think I'll go edit that wiki entry to state that he was carrying the blueprints and location of the second Death Star. It just feels right.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Ha, steampunk Vader reminded me of the guy who made actio figures of Star Wars characters in various themes.

This dude is incredible. I hope he gets a job with Hasbro or something. Luckily he's not also amazing at drawing. I'd have sent him an angry e-mail out of envy.

3. Did you go to school for this?
I have no formal art training, other then art classes in middle school. If something turns out good, it is just from years of practice, or luck.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

Though Vizsla's skill with the Darksaber was such that he could fight evenly with Kenobi for a time, the ancient blade could not defend Vizsla from the Jedi Master's Force powers.

:buddy: "See cuz he's a Mandalorian and and Mandalorians are super tough and they are super good at fighting and have cool armor and jet packs and can use lightsabers and are as good as Jedi with them."

God dammit. The entire point of a lightsaber is that the reflexes and coordination required for it are only possessed by trained force users. I'm all for having cool non-Jedi characters but this is just lazy, hack writing.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
Star by Star was so much fun. I guess what they say about Denning (that it was automatically going to be awesome because of all the payoffs and the author didn't matter) is probably true.

I'd like to hear that one of the Big Three (or all of them) were severely injured and missed most of a 9 book series. Del Ray needs to force the authors to write about something original. What's really missing, though, is characterization and interaction. Relationships between characters began to feel artificial in parts of NJO and then the wacky bouncing plot threads in LotF with characters present in one book but gone from the next just left it feeling hallow to me.

Some of the same stuff that was wrong with the Prequels is wrong with the books. Alson needs to quit this silliness and get back to work telling us about the wacky adventures of people who stood around in background shots in the films.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

There's a handful, for me.

My absolute favorite is Ganner's last stand in the Brain Well. Complete :black101:

I love that scene too. But then my rear end in a top hat of a brain thinks back to how nearly impossible a single Vong was to kill in the first book or three and I get mad about bad storytelling.

I need a lobotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
"You're not actually diving into a hemorrhoid cornfield?"