Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tobaccrow posted:

They got nothing on BoShek:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BoShek

Oh what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Harrison Ford could step in to play Han Solo deep in the EU and not miss a beat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

Just seen a retcon that's been introduced, sorry if this is being repeated.

It turns out that this ship from Episode IV...

Click here for the full 1124x416 image.

...and this ship from Episode III

Click here for the full 1200x470 image.

...are no longer the same ship. The reason for this being that the guys in charge found it difficult to reconcile the cosmetic differences between the two (despite the in-universe explanation being entirely plausible).

So, the ship you see in Episode III is no longer the Tantive IV because it looks too different. it is instead now this:

Click here for the full 1280x928 image.

Sundered Heart

:psyduck:

Star Wars is terrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh Jesus Christ

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I will still onto the hope that no more movies will be released, at least ones that contradict the EU, like grim death.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The only plot that would be worthy of being a movie would be the original Zaugh Heir to the Empire series. Anyone here think that they would translate well? This is assuming George Lucas does not rape them.

Maybe I'm imagining it but I SWEAR that Lucas once commented that he considered the Dark Empire Trilogy (those comics) as his idea of Episodes 7-9.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WampaLord posted:

So far, the good outweighs the bad. But I will admit that the bad is pretty bad.

I'll post pictures of that Dragon*Con panel when I get home, in case anyone is interested. It was weird putting faces to authors (I didn't bother to look up their photos beforehand for maximum shock value.)

Did you ask any questions to the authors?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I did. I wanted to ask a ton, but plenty of other people had questions to ask. The question I asked was for Zahn, and it was regarding his feelings about Mara's death.

He basically said that she was a great character who still had plenty of use in her, and that Star Wars isn't really the kind of universe where you kill off people just to "up the drama." Basically, he was pissed that she was killed off and without his consent, which I what I expected to hear, but it was really cool hearing it from him firsthand.

I also asked him when I was getting his autograph (1 more :smug: for seasoning) if Lucasfilm ever told him to not touch on certain topics because they were planning for movies 7, 8, and 9. He said no, they never told him anything like that.

I have more Star Wars panel stories if the thread feels so inclined.

You would think that they would need to get Zhan's consent to do poo poo like that. He is solely responsible for the resurgence of Star Wars in the early 90s. I would think he holds some sway at Lucasbooks.

And I'm all ears to more stories.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I fully support retconning the EU back to immediately after The Unifying Force. The NJO set up an entire new galaxy for Star Wars authors to write in, one that had almost unlimited potential. It did it's job of having a "changing of the guard" so to speak of the younger generation coming into the forefront with the Big 3 taking a more secondary role. Jacen especially was all set up take up the title as the main Jedi protagonist.

They completely threw all the massive character and plot development away and instead decided to do stupid poo poo. The Big 3 are still the total focus of the books and the younger generation is almost all entirely dead. The entire point of the NJO, to bring Star Wars EU into a new age, was completely abandoned. Retards.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dalaram posted:

One of the things I disliked most about the LotF after reading through it recently was Tahiri's character. Throughout the entire NJO series, she develops into this interesting character that comes to grip with Anakin's death. Then she does a complete 180 in the LotF series and whines the entire time. Does she become any more tolerable in the FotJ series?

Another example of the EU completely dropping the ball. Tahiri should have been a main hero after the NJO, not a weird freak.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

I want a nine book series by Zahn, Stackpole, and Stover.

Set during the GCW.

That has no Luke, Leia but maybe Han in it.

:colbert:

What characters will they use then? They kind of killed them all.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

They will have to get creative and make up some.

The problem is of course that you can't just create some major characters out of thin air and have them be the focus of a 9 book series. They have to be introduced and developed until they can eventually take center stage.

Of course the EU has written themselves into a corner so that they have no real choice but to suddenly create new characters and have them start. The EU doesn't have a good track record of that.

Thankfully the EU is moving away from long series after FoTJ so they will have some time to develop many new characters in a bunch of independent books and trilogies. But I'm sure they will gently caress it up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I would love a New Republic Commando set during the New Jedi Order. The centerpiece of the game would be the epic liberation of Coruscant where the commandos dropped onto the planet from space IE Halo ODST.

Of course Lucasarts will never do anything like that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The general ideas of handling Palpatine's rise to power was one of the things that the prequels did right. It should have been less convoluted and... well stupid, but the idea that he manipulated a galaxy spanning war to construct the empire is pretty interesting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

You should have asked them their opinion on Traviss.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I remember getting Gold Medals on every mission in Rogue Leader when I was 11 years old. It was the most difficult and thus greatest accomplishment of my life.

That of course left just the Endurance mission and well, gently caress that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rogue Squadron seems such a weird game to play using a joystick. Too arcadey to need one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you can avoid giving yourself an aneurysm bitching about what TFU does to canon, it's actually a pretty fun game.

It's fun enough but it's a sad abortion of a game compared to the Jedi Knight series.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Too bad KoTOR doesn't work right on Windows 7.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

uPen posted:

I own the steam version and play it on windows 7 just fine.

How? There are massive threads on many forums all focusing around the specific way to install the game and additional thing you must download to make it work in Windows 7. And even then it can still gently caress up. For example: My game crashes during each cut scene unless I go to the desktop and back right at the start of them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

Meanwhile in the Jedi temple not long before AOTC...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KP-FoVS3No

Who did the casting for the Prequels? Every single casting decision for the OT was a home run, how could the quality have possibly fallen so far...

Also, I love the Mom's reaction in that video. Here her son is, for all she knows failing in an attempt to hang himself, and she just rushes out of the room and closes the door.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Watching that Han Solo animation reminds me of this fan-made "trailer" that came out a few years ago just prior to Celebration IV and had a lot of people wondering if it was a leaked official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPDje3onJo

And actually watching both the Han Solo and New Republic animations made me realize how big of an idiot Lucas was for making a Star Wars cartoon centered around the prequels rather than the original trilogy. It really makes me sad how almost everything Lucasfilm has done over the past 11 years has been either:

1) Trying to convince people the prequels are actually good movies
2) Trying to convert the rest of Star Wars into the prequels

I mean - do you think this is just a cash cow reason, or does Lucas actually think the prequels are the better Star Wars movies?

Oh that is loving awesome. Why can't we have nice things like this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it accurate to say that George Lucas is basically the Al Davis of the film industry? Why won't he just die already.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Sometimes I think Lucas does these things because he's a bitter old man. Then I realize he has every right to be bitter when the super-fans of his creation are wishing death upon him.

:ssh: I don't really think you guys are being serious, I'm just saying

Well if he didn't act like a complete psycho then maybe us sperglord nerds wouldn't wish harm upon him. :colbert:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If you were to trust some EU writer to do Palpatine's back story who would it be? Zhan? Allston?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maybe his encounters with the Gungans on Naboo turned him into a hateful hell bent Sith bent on conquering the galaxy and enslaving aliens.

Gungans will do that to you.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fox of Stone posted:

You know those generators on naboo? They cover all that. :smug:

They should if they don't.

Is that really what they do?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

3D movies can be absolutely amazing as shown in Avatar. But that was filmed in native 3D specifically to be in 3D by a director who revolutionized the technology and methods to do it.

These 3D movies are going to be 3D conversions by Lucas.

It's not going to be pretty.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's amazing to think that the prequels we got could have been, had Lucas had his way, so much worse.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok, George is a strange guy with a profoundly damaged view of romantic relationships but I think I'm gonna need a citation on that one.

Lucas wouldn't be that crazy would he?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

LOTF also had characters using fake curse words from both BSG and Farscape (frak, frell). Or Jacen/Caedus reusing quotes from Tony Blair speeches. Of course those only happened in books written by one of the three authors, I'm sure I don't have to say which one.

How can this kind of poo poo get past any measure of review or quality control?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Its probably more just bad book cover renditions. Also, yes they need to retire the characters.

The EU was in perfect position to retire the big 3 right after the NJO finished. By loving up that chance they are now perpetually stuck with finding themselves unable to retire them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Torael_7 posted:

There was that nano-machines thingy that the Caridan ambassador infected her with. Its not exactly outside the realm of imagination that it could have done enough damage, super medical technology aside, to have shortened her life expectancy?

(Why the gently caress am I devil's advocating this?)

Didn't the Mon Calamari Jedi heal her though?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's funny how much better the prequel EU is over the movies themselves.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Azzmo posted:

Why would they kill Organa?

Better question: Why wouldn't Palpatine kill Organa after he found out he was leading the Rebels with Leia in TFU?

Yes we have discussed this a million times but I will never resist a good old Starkiller bashing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Azzmo posted:

He's perfectly readable. He was actually considered one of the better Star Wars authors after his first entry into the franchise. Unfortunately he went on to pen a three book series called The Dark Next Trilogy which contained some very uncomfortable plot lines and characters who didn't act like themselves. I consider it the point that the EU stopped being fun and started being about slogging through grandiose plot lines where the longstanding characters do what the plot demands when the plot demands it for the sake of extra pages.

He then contributed three completely forgettable books to the nine book Legacy of the Force series. Again, the prose was readable but the things that happened were so unusual that it didn't seem like Star Wars much of the time. He was even more guilty of having the plot's needs dictate everybody's behavior in this series and, combined with a petulant Karen Traviss' three abortions, the series ended up completely inconsistent and unfocused.

I guess it just comes down to his Star Wars books being no fun.

More or less. I've said it once and I will say it a million times, the EU jumped the shark with the Dark Nest Trilogy.

And it was already pretty crazy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

illectro posted:

I had a grand plan to show my kids ANH, ESB and then ROTJ up to the point where Obi Wan Tells luke the truth about this father..... providing a cunning opportunity to switch and show them TPM, AOTC, ROTS before switching back to the rest of ROTJ. Thereby avoiding showing them the crappy movies first, and keeping the whole truth behind Luke's family history a secret, and ultimately ending with the defeat of the empire and good vibes all around.

This well crafted plan was of course ruined when they started seeing the movies in random order at friends houses.

Vader tells Luke he is his father in ESB obviously. Yeah I guess as far as he knows he could be lying but the surprise is out of the bag. So this plan is kind of dumb.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

3D is a shovelware gimmick that needs to die a quick death.

Correction, 3D conversion is a shovelware gimmick that needs to die a quick death.

Unfortunately for us all 99% of all 3D movies are lovely conversions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Those TFU spoilers are worse then I feared. Holy poo poo gently caress Star Wars.

To get our mind over that bullshit lets do a thought exercise. Ever since The Clone Wars were first mentioned in ANH fans have wondered for years what they were. I think it is safe to say that the final answer was not at all what people were expecting.

So, prior to the prequels (or at least AoTC) what did you all believe The Clone Wars were? Or if you never really thought of it because you were too young, what do you think would be better than what we got from the prequels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I honestly refuse to believe that they didn't have a goal to gently caress with the continuity as much as horribly possible.