Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

ZeeToo posted:

There is a "Rogue Squadron" series, but it's comic books. "X-Wing" is a nine-book series, the first four of which (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, and The Bacta War) are specifically about Rogue Squadron.
It should probably be said that the comic series is in the same vein as the book series, and the books use the comic as the backstory for a lot of minor characters and events. If you can stand to read comics (you're already reading Star Wars books, just admit you're a nerd), they're not a bad read. Also, it has Darth Vader playing with dolls and Space PTSD.

And the best way to kill a Dark Jedi ever.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

LLJKSiLk posted:

I remember the Thrawn trilogy being among my favorite EU stuff. How do they hold up now if you go back and try to re-read them?
They're still considered the best of the EU by pretty much everybody. They're still quite enjoyable.

And yeah, we all know what you mean about Darksaber. Darksaber was...it was...

...it was Darksaber. That's pretty much all you can say about that.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

That kid is totally going be like 'gently caress you Ken, got mine'.

Later, he becomes a Vader-idolizing serial killer who is also a prince.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I've always just assumed that the plan was to jump out to the outskirts of the system, scan Hoth to find the base, then jump in closer and smash it before it could get any defenses online.

Ozzel jumped in too close, and because he wasn't in the right position to immediately attack it gave the Rebels time to prepare.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Amrosorma posted:

What is this a picture of? :ohdear:

Gather round, young Amrosorma, and hear the tale of a man named Trioculus

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

PepsiOtaku posted:

How about some Tiss'shar politics!

You're leaving out the best part, where the Imperial officer gets all grossed out that the fancy banquet is like live lizards and stuff and Vader's like "gently caress this poo poo, let's go get some burgers" and storms out.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Geddy Krueger posted:

Another great EU antagonist was Zsinj (at least in the Wraith books, I never read Courtship), who, aside from building up an impressive network of capital organized in a manner similar to terrorist cells, enjoyed theater and acting just to screw with people, routinely putting on displays that would cause most observers to underestimate him.

I think Zsinj works as a good villain because his plans, while perfectly Star Wars-y, are pretty understandable and usually rely on minimum of Deus Ex Machina, unlike Thrawn's painting-magic. He just sets up some pretty basic traps because they actually make sense.

"Republic forces might get past our blockade and we can't track their evacuation route? gently caress it, let's plant a shitload of mines all over the loving place and rig them so they broadcast where they are when they explode."

I mean, I think his most masterful tactic in the Wraith series basically amounted to "bring in a poo poo-ton of ships they don't know about".

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 13, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Grendels Dad posted:

What is Jizz? I'm going to regret asking, won't I?
It's jazz, but IN SPACE

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Haledjian posted:

I'm on the 4th book of the X-Wing series by Michael A. Stackpole. After this one it switches over to Aaron Allston as the author. I like the series so far, should I read Allston's books too or is it going to pull a West Wing on me?
Allston's books are actually considered better than the Stackpole ones. Man just knows how to write humour.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Haledjian posted:

Anticipating more human-bothan business. Oh yeah. And X-Wings.

Nope, and less than you'd think.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Mister Roboto posted:

Palpatine must REALLY not give them much of a budget.
Gotta stretch the budget to make up for all the exploded superweapons.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

The Emperor, as he was designed when the first movie was filmed, was described as a corrupt Nixon-esque leader, who wasn't even the first Emperor of the Empire.
Going back even farther, the original drafts had him as a genuinely good guy who was being kept completely isolated and unaware of what was going on by Vader and the military.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone know if A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy is any good?
It's actually pretty good. There's a couple of weak parts and a mildly Mary Sue-ish character, but overall it's actually a pretty entertaining read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Torael_7 posted:

Said appearance is just bizarre though, because if I recall, he was commanding one of the dreadnaughts. :confused:
TIE pilots go into minor command positions in the Fleet if they survive their tour of duty.