Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cross-Section posted:

For those who missed it in the last thread, here's the Return of the Jedi deleted scene shown at Celebration 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc

Is it just me, or does Vader's voiceover sound like it was cobbled together from other bits of dialogue from RotJ? I can't be 100% certain without digging out the DVD and checking, but I think a bunch of it's from where he tries to get Luke out of hiding in the throne room. And the "my son" line sounds like it might have been taken from "My son is with them" from earlier in the movie.

MY GOD I've seen these movies too many times.

Oh, and since it needs to be in the new thread, everyone's favorite character page on Wookieepedia: Unidentified Rodian with jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BonHair posted:

I don't see why Han would even believe in the superpowers. For all he knows it could just be republic propaganda and fairy tales. He does think that blocking lasers without even being able to see them is fairly ridiculous after all.

I agree. It's like if one of us were to encounter a ninja. Sure, they can do some impressive fighting tricks, but we'd probably still be a little skeptical if they started talking about their Qi and the Tao and all that jazz.

Another point: Compared to the size of the galaxy, there weren't all that many Jedi to start with. So meeting one (let alone seeing them do something impressive) would be pretty rare. In Episode I, Nute Gunray says he's never encountered one, and he's a fairly important fellow. For a nobody like Han, it's entirely possible that not only had he never seen a Jedi, but he'd never even met anyone who had.

Even during the war, not many people would have run across Jedi doing their thing. In the prequels it sure looked like Clones vs. Droids. Neither one would be telling many tales, and I didn't see many regular Joes who enlisted to fight for their chosen side.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DougieC posted:

I....what?

I thought it was quite good! Made me appreciate how good Zahn's novels were (I'm just done reading their bit on the Thrawn duology).

Is this a really famous website I've somehow missed through an inexplicable internet blind spot?

http://xkcd.com/609/

Exactly this has happened to us all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Crowetron posted:

I actually have an idea for a story about an Alderaan born Stormtrooper stuggling with the loss of his home and his disillusionment in the Empire he devoted his life to. The only reason I haven't written any of it actually down is because then I'd be writing fanfic, and that is not a line I'm willing to cross.

But I'd love to read more stories with Stormtroopers as the focus. I love those wacky bucketheads :3:

Hate to say it, but...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Alderaanian_stormtrooper
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_86:_The_Alderaan_Factor

Wookieepedia posted:

This stormtrooper from Alderaan was a soldier and TIE pilot in the Galactic Empire. Although originally a servant in the household of the Royal family of Alderaan, he left the world to become a trooper in the Imperial Military. The soldier found a sense of belonging in the Empire, something that he had not been able to discover on his home planet. Eventually, the soldier received word of the Destruction of Alderaan, a massacre carried out by the Empire with the use of the Death Star. Although the Imperials had obliterated his home planet, the soldier still stayed loyal to the Empire. He was still working as a stormtrooper a short time before the Battle of Endor when he was assigned to the planet Yinchorr, under the command of Imperial Governor Marcellin Wessel.

So, uh, yeah.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, I never knew it was an in-universe thing. I always assumed that it was just a reference point for the fans.

A bunch of things started as out-of-universe, but found their way in. Mostly names. "TIE fighter" came from the nickname the ships got while making the first movie, on account of their bow-tie shape. When the A-Wing and the B-Wing were just a couple of new ships the effects guys came up with for RotJ, they got tagged A and B just to tell them apart. It stuck. And of course "Mon Calamari" was a joke based on someone's seafood lunch.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

A droid based on a real-world model built for a terminally little girl is actually very touching. :3::hf::cry:

Agreed. I cannot hate this.

Nowadays the little pink droid is apparently (along with the 501st) working with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Toys For Tots. Found on http://www.r2kt.com/...

:unsmith:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, it might actually be a neat concept for a SW-esque sci-fi universe to require that shield generators can never be inside a shield. That'd basically define naval tactics for that universe. Of course, it'd have to be a universal thing for it to work, but authors could have all sorts of spergy fun devising tactics and counter-tactics.

Back in Star Wars, I'm of the opinion that the things on Star Destroyers are "really" scanner globes, and not shield generators. They were made into shield generators purely as a videogame contrivance, to give the player characters half a chance. Sort of like how in TIE Fighter you'd have to take six or seven direct hits before your own TIE would be destroyed, whereas in the movies I don't think we ever saw one survive even a glancing blow.

Of course, we also saw plenty of X-Wings and Y-wings blow up from one hit, so make of that what you will..

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The turbolasers were fast enough to hit Porkins.

(INSERT FAT JOKE HERE)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Otterspace posted:

The notion that the globes are communication towers and not shield generators flies in the face of 30 years of star wars knowledge. Can you find evidence that says they were meant to be communications towers?

Somebody noticed that fans were arguing about this, so they decided to canonically make the globes be both shield generators AND sensors! That'll please everyone, right?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ISD-72x_deflector_shield_generator_dome

Unrelated: What the hell happened to wookieepedia's page layout? Suddenly it's all retarded.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I especially like how several items on the "ought to be movies" list are movies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It would have worked great if they'd established that Anakin and Padme had some kind of mysterious connection through the Force, and when he turned extra-crispy and had all that invasive surgery, he unconsciously sucked her life-force dry to save himself. So that would mean that in his rage, he DID kill her. Just like the Emperor said.

Instead we got one of the most widely-mocked lines in recent cinema. Thanks, George!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

vseslav.botkin posted:

I dunno, Anakin building Artoo still leaves us with the problem of "why not build something that his mom might actually use?" I somehow doubt she has much use for an astromech droid, even if it can fly and hack into the Death Star and project holograms of princesses in distress. At most, you might get a useful beverage delivery system if you put a tray on top of him.

Of course, you actually have the same problem in the original trilogy, but there's enough good stuff around it you don't really notice....

Now that you mention it, I don't think they ever even said what Anakin's mom actually DOES for Watto. I just skimmed her Wookieepedia article and it looks like it was never even established in the EU.

"Something she might actually use" would be very different depending on if her job was scrubbing Watto's floors, doing Watto's marketing and accounting and space taxes, or :a2m:.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Well everyone knows that you have to fire your lasers grouped in twos or more to kill tie fighters in one 'shot'. X-wing series taught me that. To kill x-wings you have to hit them with 6 dual laser shots after shields are down.

DAMNED YOU HULL DMG!

Am I the only one that always kept the cannons on single-fire? TIEs are small enough that on dual or quad fire, I usually only managed to hit with one cannon anyway. So all I had to show for it was two (or four!) times the wait until I could fire again and finish the bastard off.

Oh, and yes, it was two shots to finish off a TIE fighter, three to take care of a TIE interceptor. Six (I think) for a TIE bomber.

WHY DO I REMEMBER THIS IT HAS BEEN FIFTEEN YEARS

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I've been a Star Wars fan all my life (i.e. since the 80s) and I forced myself to find things to like about the prequels.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Oh god I forgot all about the Neimoidians and Toydarians on top of Gungans. Jees...so we have asians, arabs, AND blacks represented in horrible stereotypes. I just now realized this.

Maybe TPM was supposed to be a comedy.

Arabs? I thought Watto was the moneygrubbing Jew.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

From the explanation I've heard, the Millenium Falcon was "limping" from Hoth to Bespin at relativistic speeds, so traveling at a large fraction of the speed of light. Of course, as you approach the speed of light, time around you slows down. So while it may have seemed like months for Luke and Yoda, it may have only seemed like days for Han & Co.

Then again, that's the super-nerd answer, so whatever.

Looking at it that way, we'd also get a literal twin paradox -- Luke will then be a few months older than his twin sister.

I can't decide if that's silly or cool. Possibly both.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It probably takes more than a few seconds for control to switch to the secondary location. Or even if it can be done instantly, that doesn't mean it automatically would be.

If you're the officer in charge of auxiliary control, are you going to push the panic button at the very first hint of trouble? (The captain will probably get pissed at you the third or fourth time you seize control away from him because somebody spilled his coffee into his console.) Chances are you'll take a few seconds and confirm that the bridge has actually been hit and is no longer giving orders.

It was just bad luck that the ship swung around wildly and immediately plowed straight into the Death Star. If it had been farther away, there would probably have been time for the crew to recover control.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Okay then. A wizard Jedi did it. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It goes back farther than that -- it's a plot point in Heir to the Empire. I'm pretty sure it was just described, though, and not explicitly called Force™ Battle Meditation™.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I just had a thought.

Darth Vader's armor is described in a bunch of places in the EU as being made of super-durable stuff, like phrik or Sith Alchemy or durasteel or unobtainium or something.

So at the end of Return of the Jedi... wouldn't his armor still be JUST FINE, lying there in the ashes of that ordinary wood fire?

Some funeral.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

I own the Trivial Pursuit game. No one will play with me after I answered 17 questions in a row the first time we played.

I played it with a bunch of other total nerds. Whoever won the roll to go first... won the game. Nobody else even got a chance to take a turn. :sigh:

Edit: That reminds me of the time I was introduced to a girl who was supposedly a Star Trek trivia hotshot.

:v: Okay. Question one: what is the command override prefix code for the USS Reliant?
:j: 16309. Don't waste my time.
:v: Very good. Question two: will you marry me?

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 1, 2010

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

This. The space battle in IV is a close second but the ones in the prequel were mostly sub-par.

Especially the one in Phantom Menace, the attack on the droid control ship. The fighters head on up there, and then they kind of... mill around for a while. We never see them so much as take a shot at the ship, and we're not even sure just what it is they're trying to do. (And of course then the whole thing gets resolved through a slapstick accident.)

The ones in Eps. 2 and 3 (Obi-Wan vs. the Fetts and Let's All Go Save The Chancellor) are huge improvements, if only because we know what they're trying to do, and we see them actually try to do it. They still don't hold a candle to the originals, of course.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It saddens me to see people ripping on the actors. The acting was NOT the problem with the prequels. The actors were doing the best they could with horribly-written lines, nothing but blank green walls to interact with, and direction that basically consisted of "Flatter... more wooden! That's it, BLANK expressions! You got it!"

Even Jake Lloyd wasn't the problem. YOU try saying his lines and sounding like a good actor. Go on, try. "I'm a person, and my name is Anakin! Yippee!" :downs:

But I do have to say I really like the idea of combining Qui-Gon and Dooku into one character. At least it'd give us a character with an arc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I don't believe anyone (in the last couple of pages, at least) was blaming the actors, but the acting itself is terrible. Granted, that doesn't mean it's their fault. Lucas is to blame for the bad acting. But it is still bad acting.

Fair enough. When you put it that way, I withdraw my objection. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The_Flasherman posted:

Naturally, this being Star Wars, we -did- get backstory for him.

You know, I think I've FINALLY thought of something from the original trilogy that hasn't been obsessively fleshed out in the EU: Han's reward.

Remember in the Yavin hangar in ANH, when Han's loading boxes of stuff (presumably his reward for saving the princess) onto a cart? What's in those boxes? Credit chips? Precious metals? The rebels' secret recipe for chili con carne? I poked around on Wookieepedia but couldn't find anything.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

What's the official severed-hand count in all of the movies? And is there a story behind why that became such a popular thing to do?

Let's see...

One hand from Anakin in AoTC
Two hands from Dooku in RoTS
One hand from Grievous in RoTS
One hand from Mace Windu in RoTS
Two arms from Vader in RoTS
One arm from that alien from the bar in ANH
One hand from Luke in ESB
One hand from Vader in RoTJ

So that's ten by my count. Am I missing any?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Eleven; you missed Zam Wesell's hand in AotC.

Good catch, thanks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

HerzogZwo posted:

12, if you include the Wampa's arm in ESB.

Calaveron posted:

I'm pretty sure Grievous lost two hands when fighting Obi-Wan, too.

Both correct. We're up to thirteen. Any others? (Movies only here, I'm sure there are dozens more in the EU.)

Edit: Correction, down to twelve. I just remembered Anakin's robot hand didn't get cut off at the end of RoTS.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 29, 2010

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

M. Tenebra posted:

It's just released on the site now.

http://www.redlettermedia.com/sith.html

I feel dirty for knowing that the Millennium Falcon actually WAS in Episode III. :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Donkey Kunt posted:

In Star Wars, do they have the equivalent of a fighter jet for in atmosphere battle? Or do the space fighters have the ability to fight within the atmosphere? If they do exist, were they ever mentioned as canon or is it part of the EU?

How quickly they forget...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

in media res

:eng101: In medias res.

(Sorry. Being a Latin geek gives one some strange pet peeves.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

fire place posted:

What does everyone think of The Phantom Edit? I'm about to watch that and it's "sequel" Attack Of The Phantom. Do these edits actually make the movies good as people have said?

I've only seen the Phantom Edit. Yes, it's an improvement, but it sure as hell isn't magic. After all, the editor could only subtract -- he couldn't add back in anything from the cutting room floor (except maybe the few deleted scenes on the DVD). But no alternate takes, no alternate angles, no going beyond the edited time boundaries of any one shot.

Working under that kind of restriction, it's surprising the editor managed to do much of anything. But the final result is still a definite step up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

I've got a question that's always bugged me. In the Empire Strikes back, when Han is being tortured, is there a reason for that other than trying to lure Luke in? I always thought that they were injecting him with chemicals or something to prepare him for the carbonite freezing.

I'm pretty sure it was just to send the "your friends are in pain" signal out through the Force, to tempt Luke to come rushing to the rescue. Obi-Wan all but confirmed it: "It is you and your abilities the Emperor wants. That is why your friends are made to suffer."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

IG-88s? In MY Death Star? It's more likely than you think.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Why is Luke even a name that exists in a galaxy far, far away?

edit: Are there any other characters with ordinary names? All I can come up with are Derek "Hobbie" Klivian and maybe Jan Dodonna.

As always, Wookieepedia is way ahead of you: here's the list of names that "wouldn't be out of place in an Earth phone book." (There's got to be a couple hundred of them.)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Earth#Character_names

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Wampus42 posted:

Which of course led to this thing of beauty:

All I can see in that...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

You mean, the person who made them? Droids would be perfectly 100% aware of their origins and thus, being rational thinkers, would be grateful to the one who built them.

In Episode II (yes, yes, I'm touching the prequels, with my bare hand), didn't C3PO outright call Anakin "The Maker"? Or am I misremembering?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Arktul posted:

is there ever anything in the star wars EU that touches upon the ethics of using millions of short-lived, expendable humans as an army?

Karen Traviss spends about seventeen books talking about how that's ONE of the reasons that the Jedi are horrible monsters that don't hold a candle to the amazingly awesome Mandalorians. :jerkbag:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Karma Tornado posted:

I'm pretty sure the only actual ranks Lucas knows are "general," "captain" and "admiral."

I'm pretty sure somebody called Luke "Commander Skywalker" in The Empire Strikes Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

The Empire's reasoning against the X-Wing is that they are supervillains - shielded fighters make pilots overconfident, and hyperdrive-equipped fighters mean they can defect easier. Thus, the standard Imperial starfighter was changed to short-range shitbox that explodes if you look at it too hard.
Also it would be confusing to the audience.