Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Donkey Kunt posted:

Wait, what?

I think I see the confusion. I think this...

Fox of Stone posted:

The card game is the only reason why I can name each of the aliens in the cantina as well as their histories. And that when Luke screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! down the cloud city shaft, there were 13 O's.

Was referring to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M241GwjRy4&t=6m29s

And not this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXgK5HRBjk&t=17s

Which is what the responses were talking about. (And which isn't exactly a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO," more of a "YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

-Any time you see good guys wear white, or bad guys where black.
-Twice any time you see good guys wear black, or bad guys wear white. (for uniforms, only the first person on screen counts)
-Three times if someone hovering in between wears gray.
-Someone's hand gets cut off (prequels could make this deadly).
-A woman other than Leia is on screen.
-A Rebel pilot is of a race other than white (I think this happens only once?).
-Something doesn't work on the Falcon.
-A gigantic technological marvel explodes in a single blast.

(These are stolen from a list I read years ago)

My favorites from that old list:

-Whenever Luke is upside-down for any reason, even momentarily.
-One drink anytime Luke and Lando are on the screen at the same time. Two drinks if they speak to each other.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

movax posted:

It's easier not to think about it; there are millions of droids yet we mostly see four character designators like R2-D2 or R5-G8 or something. Makes no sense.

I think K-3P0 is the really pale looking C-3P0 model.

The EU accidentally used the name M-3PO three times. Really.

If necessary, you can rationalize the whole thing by saying that C-3PO or R2-D2 are just their "first names," and if necessary they have longer serial numbers. So maybe Artoo's full name is R2-D2-11A-11A2B-1B2B3. It just never comes up because they never happen across another droid named R2-D2.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It's all about The Empire Strikes Back on Atari 2600, friends.

Serious answer: TIE Fighter is my favorite. I should throw together a DOS machine and play through it again sometime.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

KaosFactor posted:

On pre90s EU: I've been trying to remember the name of one of those "Learn to Read" books that had a record that went along with it reading it to kids. All I remember about it was some sort of crystal cave, that may have hummed? Came out in the early 80s (as evidenced by the fact that it came with an actual record).

Planet of the Hoojibs. I had the book-and-tape version as a kid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

This rehash/sequel/reboot mania is much more a reflection of the economic times than anything. Post 9/11 there was an economic fall out where the money people wanted a bigger guarantee return.

I disagree -- the trend was well underway in the 1990s, when the economic outlook was a LOT better. The 90s gave us The Brady Bunch, Knight Rider 2000, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Addams Family, Lost In Space, and even Star Wars Episode I.

But I still think you're on the right track -- when doing a remake, there's a certain amount of money that will come in just from nostalgia alone, which wouldn't be there with a similarly-themed all-new production.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

Doesn't Luke give him a scratch in Empire? Maybe not behind the ears, but it was a very much like something you would do to your pet.

Do Wookiees even HAVE ears?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

bbf2 posted:

Bland British Imperial Officer #3 has his own website? I just...don't understand. Why pick that particular one? Piett is the one who had the conversation with Vader when he came out of the ship in the beginning of ROTJ, right?

No, that was Jerjerrod. Piett is the guy who got promoted to Admiral on the spot when Vader force-choked the previous Admiral right in front of him.

I'm mildly ashamed that I know this.

(But no, I have no idea what's the deal with that fanfic website.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

When I first saw it in the movie, I didn't even know it was a bounty hunter. I thought it was just a convenient thing standing there for the other bounty hunters to hang their guns on, like a coat rack.

I only knew because I had the IG-88 action figure as a kid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What exactly was Mace Windu's plan anyway? He didn't know about Yoda so basically he got 200 Jedi killed for nothing.

Just about the only way to rationalize it is that his plan was that the bad guys would immediately surrender as soon as they saw all the Jedi.

When that didn't work out, he improvised a new "plan" -- all of the Jedi just stand there in the middle of the arena, accomplishing absolutely nothing, as they gradually get killed off one by one.

NOT try to fight their way to an exit, or get back up to the head bad guys' box seats, or even find better cover in the stands or the tunnels. Nope, just stand there in the middle of a gigantic open area, surrounded by endless waves of disposable bad guys with blaster rifles, and wait to get killed by statistically-inevitable lucky shots.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

But in Empire he does nothing that even hints that hes the leader of anyone. In fact it seems like even Han Solo outranks him, and Hans a constant flight risk.

To be fair, the opening crawl only says "a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base". So maybe he was in charge of the move-in crew. Got to make the seating chart, snag a good office for himself, all that good Dilberty stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Noghri_ViR posted:

Really the way to think of it was that it was the Star Wars version of 9-11. Something that wasn't supposed to happened happened and the shock of it all took an emotional toll

Oldie but a goodie: Stormtroopers' 9-11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7Ha3VDbzE

e: better link.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 4, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I do remember reading somewhere about Roddenberry giving Lucas advice on merchandising.

I'd be willing to believe it. Roddenberry obviously never attained merchandising nirvana on the level of a Lucas, but he could shill with the best of them. Toward the end of Star Trek's run, he dreamed up a Vulcan insignia pin and had Spock wear it in an episode:

The ENTIRE purpose of this thing was to get one more item that the rabid fans would all buy from his mail order company. And it worked, too -- all that stuff's still selling. His son is running the company now, still selling phasers and plush tribbles and even the Vulcan insignia pin.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Why didn't they just blow Yavin up, then either let the gravity well handle Yavin IV or fire again at the moon?

That's a major theme of one of the first How It Should Have Ended videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

The energy required to dissociate a gravitationally bound object scales as the mass squared over the radius. Jupiter, for instance, would take about 1300 times more energy to blow up than the earth. It's probably a safe bet that the Death Star simply didn't have the capability to blow up Yavin.

But Alderaan's bits flew away a LOT faster than escape velocity. If you time the explosion frame-by-frame, you can see it actually blew up at a few percent of the speed of light. This means that the blast was about a million times more powerful than it needed to be just to dissociate the planet -- do math and you get 10^38 joules or so as a good lower limit for the superlaser. (For real-life scale, that's about the total amount of energy the Sun emits in eight thousand years or so.) I think a gas giant would be no trouble for a Death Star.

And I'm happy to say I wasn't the one who sat down and figured all this out: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Alderaan.html

:toot:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Karma Tornado posted:

Looks like M. Norwegian comic strip.

Confirmed -- it's M. English translations turn up from time to time in the comic strip megathread.

The author is a thorough Star Wars nerd and has done a zillion strips on the theme. For example:

and

There's more. Interested?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

we really should just paste that into the thread starter. It's been asked for twice over the past three pages.

Maybe there's another thread out there somewhere watching us. With a betting pool for how many minutes it'll take us to come up with a requested image. Like that one, or the lightsaber-knees fellow, or the horse pilot, or Han vs. the Space Otter, or... :tinfoil:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

arioch posted:

One explanation is nobody does that except Jedi. Most other starfighter deployments have them launching from a space-based carrier platform.

That's a Jedi ability? Force Constipation?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bene Elim posted:

One of these days there will be a character besides Luke or Ben with an Earth-ish sounding name, and I will be happy.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Josephine_Donovan
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaine_Harris
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Meghan_Rivers

Enormous list of characters with Earth-ish sounding names: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Earth#Character_names

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

kazmeyer posted:

Yep. They used him in the CCG, and then they sort of built a story around the character. The ice cream maker was, in fact, a computer core containing data about Rebellion agents, and I think he was part of the group that ended up retaking Cloud City from the Empire. They released a Willrow Hood action figure a few years back, cementing his place in the canon.

...my God, I can't even tell if you're joking.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

gently caress, I clicked that fully expecting it to be a real thing. Good game :golfclap:

I was 99% sure that one was a joke, but seeing how I just got fooled by the ice cream man...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

I remember the Thrawn trilogy being among my favorite EU stuff. How do they hold up now if you go back and try to re-read them?

Quite well, actually. Zahn has a couple of "author-isms" that leap out at you (take a drink every time a character responds with the word "Point"!) but overall they're still some of the best stuff in the EU.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Amrosorma posted:

There are lots of tone systems in human cultures that have less than or more than 12 notes per octave. Hindustani classical music can have up to 22 tones (if I remember right)!

In any case, music doesn't need more or less tones in an octave for it to sound awful. Lots of Western music does that already!

Yup. There's bunches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_scales_and_modes

The octave itself comes straight out of physics -- one octave is half or double the frequency -- but there's still no guarantee aliens would experience octave equivalency the way we do, or would use the octave in music. It's not even completely universal in human music. (Of course, if we start discussing all the ways sci-fi aliens are unrealistically human-like, then that's a LONG trip down the sperg-hole.)

Anyway, I vaguely recall a throwaway line in an EU novel that cantina-style music was specifically designed to appeal to a whole swath of different species.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only Clone Wars era ship worth a drat is the Naboo N-1 starfighter. Great design, but the rest can gather dust for all I care.

Never cared for the N-1 myself. I just can't get past the fact that there physically isn't room for the R2 unit's legs. (It was apparently George's call, narrowing the droid socket for the sake of aesthetics, and to hell with practicality.) And so we get the ridiculous concept of Artoo popping his head off and sticking it up through the top hatch:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Real question, what are the benefits of having an astromech droid exposed on the outside of a ship like that? Why not just have it be completely inside the craft?

To remind the audience that Artoo is there -- otherwise the protagonist would just be speaking to disembodied beep-boops. We also get another character's "face" to look at in reaction shots. And of course it makes it possible for the droid to be disabled by a glancing hit, thus showcasing the danger the main character is in.

Or were you asking for technical reasons instead of dramatic reasons? :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has an explanation for the SW Galaxy's seeming technological stagnation ever been given?

I always took it to be that for a long time, they've been at or near the limits of technology. Fashions change, small refinements are always coming down the pipe, and they can always build things bigger and better whenever they get together the political will to do it (e.g. Death Star). But for the most part, their technology is as good as it's capable of getting.

My usual real-world example of this is the personal firearm. In the last hundred years there have been a few small improvements and refinements -- they're a bit lighter, a bit less jam-prone, some loading systems are a bit faster -- but for the most part they're the exact same machines as they were a century ago. The technology is pretty much at its limit. No one bats an eye at a thirty-year-old used gun if it's in good shape.

In Star Wars, it's like that for almost everything. No one bats an eye at a thirty-year-old used droid (or Dreadnought) if it's in good shape. It's still compatible with everything, and basically the same thing as they could get new.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

According to Wookieepedia, this thing is female.

Which doesn't really help matters.

e: Mixed up my 'pedias there at first.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 11, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

This dude from Episode IV is apparently an Anzat.

Nothing a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon couldn't fix.

Vastly more info: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anzat

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

lucasw99 posted:

My pet hate is how nearly everyone incorrectly quotes Darth Vader revealing himself to be the father of Luke.

The hate is swelling in you now.

Gooood... I can FEEL your anger!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Without Lucas putting his foot down we probably would have gotten a novel where Luke runs into a cult of domesticated Sith who live in the suburbs who are respected doctors, business men, and lawyers.

(Stares menacingly at dandelions growing along the back edge of the garage) "Now, witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational weed-whacker!" (Activates weed-whacker, cuts down dandelions) "POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

omgLerkHat! posted:

To further compound the problem it's got the aerodynamics of a brick and that lovely gap between the cockpit access area and.. whatever the hell the rear one is. I'd hatelove to see what the thing would do in a wind tunnel.

Not like the Millennium Falcon, which is nice and symmetrical, and has totally realistic aerodynamics. :)

(But I agree, the Outrider is way lopsided and ends up looking a bit silly.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ghorman_Massacre

Wookieepedia posted:

A group of activists were protesting Imperial taxation on the planet Ghorman in the Sern sector. Wilhuff Tarkin's vessel was blocked by peaceful protesters who stood on the ship's landing pad and refused to move. With implied permission from Palpatine, Tarkin landed the ship anyway, right on the protestors, injuring and killing hundreds. An overwhelming majority were killed instantly. A lucky few escaped the ordeal with their lives, but sustained severe injuries, some later resulting in death.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

What the hell. I'm making comparison shots, and the shirts ARE the same. However, in ESB he had some sort of restraints on his upper arms, but they don't show up in ROTJ.

Han's costume in Cloud City consisted of a dark jacket over a white shirt. The jacket was removed sometime before he went into the freezing chamber, but the lighting left his shoulders in shadow, so it still kinda looked like he had the jacket on.

But since he doesn't have the jacket on when he gets unfrozen, people had sperging about the "mistake" for years and years. So for the DVD release of ESB, they tweaked the shot to make it clear.

Source: http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-two.html

e: As to the upper arm thing, no idea.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 31, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

This is just one guy and a computer. He already finished his Star Wars edit which was goddamn amazing.

This edit's been discussed before. I'm actually okay with his "horde of TIEs accompanied by the Imperial March" at around 3 minutes, but then he doesn't know when to stop: there's almost a solid minute of dialogue-free dogfighting that REALLY throws off the timing and feel of the whole scene.

I still think the best thing he did was fix up the colors.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did that Adywan guy really make this change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBAZGtBfcY4&feature=related

Really?

Strangely enough, the part of that I have the biggest problem with is the removal of the sound effect when the superlaser guy pulls the lever. I love that descending "doooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound. :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I have a few questions about RotS that I've been wondering about for some time. First, when Padme squirts out Luke, the medical droid looks down and says, "It's a boy... oh wait, twins! What a surprise!" But, the technology we have IRL lets us know the sex and number of children at 4-5 months. Given the level of technology in the Star Wars universe, one would think Padme would know it was twins soon after Anakin rolled off her and lit up a space cigarette.

Second, when Palpatine is zapped by his own Force lightning, and his face gets all icky and his voice becomes... pretty cool to be honest, was his voice digitally altered, or did actor Ian McDiarmid do it himself?

Hey, plenty of people in the real world don't want to know the sex of the kid. She may have just had a standing order not to tell her. Besides, the medical droid DID know it was twins -- it said something to Obi-Wan before the birth.

As for the voice one, I'm sure it was mostly done in his own voice box, but Lucas may well have tweaked it in post. Seems like the sort of thing he would do.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

I remember the emperor saying at one point that Vaders problem was a mental thing and that if he ever got past it, he'd have control of all his power.

Now I'm picturing Vader looking in a mirror and repeating "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people fear me!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nessus posted:

There appears to be at least some degree of connection to an organic entity. After all, otherwise you could build a Force-using droid.

Has that been done :(

Sort of. :(

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd like to hear what a professional swordsman thinks of the duels in Star Wars, especially comparing the OT and PT fights.

I took fencing lessons as a kid, and dabbled in kendo in college. That's probably about as close as this thread's going to get to a "professional swordsman," so I'll take a stab at this one. (Get it? A stab! Because swords! Get it?)

Real-life swordfighting isn't much to look at. I once read that in medieval times, sword-to-sword combat usually lasted all of three or four seconds before it was over. A fencing match is about as long and involved as swordplay gets, and even that gets pretty dull. Victories are almost always tactical, not strategic -- a fraction of a second where one guy slips past the other guy's guard, and boom, it's over.

The swordplay in both trilogies is pure stage fighting. The OT is a lot closer to reality than the PT because they aren't flipping and bouncing all over the room, but it's still designed to look good on screen, not be an effective combat technique.

The duels in ANH and ESB are probably the most realistic -- ANH because it's quite straightforward, and ESB because Luke doesn't actually know what the hell he's doing and Vader is just loving with him. The RoTJ fight is more choreographed and less realistic, but it fits the emotional tone really well.

Now, the fight choreography in TPM is simply superb. Ray Park earned his paycheck there. But Darth Maul's lightstaff is a hilariously impractical weapon. I never did much staff fighting but I'm under the impression that you often need to brace the near end against your arm or body, shift your grip, or block a blow with the center of the staff between your hands. All impossible with a lightstaff. Your moves are pretty much limited to big slow diagonal swipes -- which if you watch carefully, is really all Maul does. But Park's good enough that he makes it look outstanding. It's a pity the surrounding movie never really makes us care.

By Eps. 2 and 3 we're firmly into the flippy poo poo. Which looks kinda nifty, I guess. :geno: