Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Of that list, the only one that I could really see actually being made and working as a good Star Wars movie is Heir to the Empire. I don't think that an EU work has to be in the mold of a movie for it to be good, but I just think that the structure and tone of the Thrawn Trilogy were one of the few EU works that really felt like I was reading/watching a Star Wars movie. It also might have something to do with the fact that it was essentially a blank slate working entirely off of the movies rather than modern EU works which are basically just giant Wookieepedia entries relating to other works.

(Yes, I know Zahn included stuff from the WEG games which in turn used stuff from Marvel and the Han Solo books, but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

I remember it being strongly suggested at the beginnings of the Bacta War (Mirax & Corran) and possibly Destiny's Way (Mara & Luke), but it's literally just the build up to it and immediately cuts to the aftermath.

Destiny's Way actually implies that Mara and Luke like playing master and slave when being intimate.

KabeDerlin posted:

Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I feel it's specific enough that it probably hasn't. I'm horribly behind in my Star Wars novel reading and I'm most of the way through Legacy of the Force, and I hit a bit of a question. Now I did not read all of New Jedi Order (finished Star by Star and went on a SW hiatus for roughly 6 years).

When in Betrayal I found out that Pellaeon was supreme commander of the GA, and then I saw Wedge being harassed by an ex-Imperial, I made the assumption that the GA must be comprised of the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic, who allied in the Yuuzhan Vong war, and then decided to keep the allegiance and form the GA. This theory of mine worked until seven books later, I'm reading Revelation and Jacen is trying to get the Imperial Remnant to commit ships and troops to the war.

My question: Why was Pellaeon allowed to command the GA forces if he was leader of a faction not part of the GA? Was it because he was just so bad rear end? Pellaeon has always been one of my favorite Expanded Universe characters so I'm not complaining at any face time they give him, but I feel like I'm missing something.

When it originally formed in the NJO the Galactic Alliance was supposed to be a federation of the New Republic worlds, the Hapans, the Imperial Remnant, and the Chiss. By the time Dark Nest rolled around that had essentially been retconned/forgotten (like pretty much everything else from the NJO) so that the Galactic Alliance was only the New Republic but with a different name and the Hapans, Imperials, etc are still around. The Pellaeon thing is clumsily explained by the fact that he resigned from the Empire between NJO and Dark Nest, despite him still being the head of the Empire in Legacy of the Force...Basically just blame Troy Denning.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Suenteus Po posted:

Wait, what?

Who's which?

Before they have sex, Mara says something like, "I can call you Master like you like."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Or it can be referring to Jedi Master/Master Jedi?

That's part of the joke but from the context it's pretty clear what's being implied.

Casimir Radon posted:

Walter Jon Williams writes creepy sex scenes, otherwise he's not a bad author.

Destiny's Way was the first thing I read from Walter Jon Williams and both him and the book really impressed me - I felt it (along with Unifying Force) was by far the strongest book in the second half of the NJO - actually, given how little I liked Star by Star, probably one of the strongest books in the NJO period.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seventies trappings aside, isn't the OT sort of gritty anyways?

Yeah, wasn't the OT pretty much the first of the "gritty dystopian worn-down future" movies? I guess Solaris was earlier but it wasn't really gritty to the same degree and certainly didn't have the impact. I know Ridley Scott said that Alien and Blade Runner wouldn't have been made if Star Wars hadn't paved the way for the "dirty future".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bonzo posted:

MY WIFE and I were watching Firefly recently and thought that IF you had to reboot Star Wars, it may not hurt if it looked a bit like that show but without all the western stuff obviously.

I actually think that Farscape is a much better comparison for a potential Star Wars remake than Firefly. Farscape gave me a classic Star Wars feel almost immediately when I first watched it; Firefly, while I really enjoyed it also, just seemed like it was Joss Whedon trying a bit too hard to do his version of Star Wars. The fact that my college was swamped with those loving Browncoats wearing the "Joss Whedon Is My Master Now" shirt when Serenity came out didn't help.

I really love Firefly and I'm not usually one to defend the prequels but I will say I would rather watch Revenge of the Sith a dozen times than rewatch Serenity.

Mahoshonen posted:

I get the sense that the EU is writting itself into a corner by introducing a Force Cthulhu into Star Wars. Because once you defeat Force Cthulhu (and anyone who knows anything knows this is going to be the outcome), where do you go from there?

I suppose you can have a time traveling adventure, and thereby mess up the continuity beyond all recognition. Which would be sad, but oddly appropriate fate for the EU :smith:

Time travel and Force Cthulhu: This what happens when you keep letting Troy Denning plan your series.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the Abeloth thing is the start of a trend of a more mystical/explicitly fantasy-like trend in the EU. They've done pretty much most sci-fi stuff they can, at least given the restraints of Lucasfilm and the Star wars universe's construction, and FOTJ seems to have been setting up that thousands of years ago the SW galaxy was filled with Lovecraftian entities and literal gods before the Celestials shoved them all out and put up Centerpoint and the hyperspace field at the edge of the galaxy to keep them out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JonLikesPie posted:

Really? I could've sworn hearing something about it before the Prequel Trilogy.

The closest thing to the Jedi Council before TPM was from the Tales of the Jedi comics where the Jedi had occasional convocations to debate big policy issues, like supporting the Republic in a war. But even when those had a few Jedi Masters who were respected above the rest (Thon, Arca, Nomi Sunrider for example) there wasn't really any official structure. And then stuff like Courtship of Princess Leia had Jedi Masters flying around in their ships training people.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Has any novels/comics just a before Phantom Menace tried to tackle the corrupt senate thing?

All pre-prequal non KOTOR novels I've seen seem to be Darth Maul/Black Sun set up masturbationary waffle.

As mentioned, some of the Republic comics - the Star Hyperspace War one, and there's another where the focus is on investigating the murder of a senator who was attempting to reform the Senate. I think the Acts of War comic miniseries also had something involving the Senate. And there of course is the wonderful novel Cloak of Deception which is really great in highlighting how screwed up the Republic's political system was leading in to TPM. It's one of the best prequel-era books.

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think in regard to the Valorum example, his vizier or whatever whispered in his ear once the Trade Federation allies started banding together and all of a sudden his will to do anything was gone.

Likely because they had a holo-recording of him blowing little boys or something.

I think it was Cloak of Deception that hints that Valorum was in some sort of sex scandal (or at least had rumors of one) with one of his aides, which is probably a reference to the fact that Lucas based Valorum on Clinton, although the movie was filmed before the Lewinsky thing broke.

Diacritical Mark posted:

I don't think the Trade Federation actually had Senate seats. They did buy a lot of Senators' votes, though.

Doesn't the Clone Wars show have the Trade Federation and other big companies having senate seats? It's one of many reasons I really don't like the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't know I think this ad is kind of awesome. Well, maybe not awesome, but it did make me smile!

I'm willing to say that that ad was awesome. It was more Star Warsy than all the prequels combined.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So apparently, LucasArts just shunted The Old Republic off to EA:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea...nk=MW_news_stmp

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NGL posted:

Yes they do. Dave Filoni (who basically runs the show) has an obvious hard-on for the OT and isn't above arguing with Jorge about it.

And Lucas always wins those arguments.

Also Filoni has always struck me as a fanboy and not in a good way - I mean, the fact that he was completely obsessed with Plo Koon, a character who appeared in about ten minutes of the prequels and had no dialogue, should say it all. It's like the people who are so obsessed with Boba Fett because of his role in the original trilogy. I never understood that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I've seen online there's been an episode or two with mandalore stuff in it. I don't know, the whole thing that bothers me is her total pacifism thing and how she'd just stand with her eyes closed going "LA LA LA LA PACIFISIM" if people were blowing poo poo up and killing others right in front of her.

There's an episode centered around uncovering who's been supplying smuggled soda to Mandalorian schools. I'm not even joking.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Well her planet was racist towards Gungans maybe Padme was a huge bigot towards the non human races, Anakin could of picked up on that helping him support the Empires pro-human ideals.

I think it was in Star Wars Galaxies where there's an implication that due to Palpatine being from the planet and all the Naboo hating Gunguns they're pretty much fine with the Empire. I like the idea that this almost painfully blunt utopian society from the prequels ends up being a big center of Imperial support all because the Gungans are a race of unlikeable retards.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hantu posted:

Linked in the article is the horrifying TDL Nanny Droid.:aaaaa:

Thank you Kevin J. Anderson!

T'ra Saa gets a pass because she's from the awesome Ostrander comics...Although come to think of it didn't Kevin Anderson originally invent her species in Tales of the Jedi?

Thank you again KJA, looking forward to your work on the new Dune movie!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

tin can made man posted:

I mean, Jabba the Hutt could be seen as a super offensive Arab stereotype, if you chose to read him as such. He's fat, opulent, lives in a desert palace, keeps several female slaves, smokes a hookah, talks in a funny foreign language, and keeps court over a silk-draped den of thieves.

In one of the recent Clone Wars episodes, Ziro the Hutt (gay stereotype) visits his mother who is absolutely a black southern mammy caricature. And the Hutt council members are pretty much all sleazy Italian stereotypes. (And yes, I know they're supposed to be spoofing famous movie mafiosos)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NGL posted:

I read somewhere that the Neimoidians used a Transylvanian accent (or an approximation thereof), but I don't know if it's true. Andrew Secombe (who voiced Watto) based his portrayal of him on Fagin from Oliver Twist (particularly Alec Guinness's portrayal of the character). I also agree that if you can't identify what its supposed to be a stereotype of, then it's not really a stereotype. The whole racial thing is a nasty combination of Lucas' sheltered life and his use of classic archetypes that are often associated with minorities.

The version of Oliver Twist with Alec Guinness wasn't released in the US for several years specifically because his version of Fagin was pretty much a "disgusting Jew" stereotype, so that doesn't really help the argument...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

skindepth posted:

So wait, Emperor Palpatine had battle meditation? I thought that was largely specific to the KOTOR games. Still, anything that brings them more into official canon is good from my point of view.

Battle meditation didn't originate in KOTOR, it originated in the Tales of the Jedi comics that KOTOR was based off of. It's been used in a lot of other EU stuff also. Actually KOTOR is pretty well integrated into the rest of the EU all things considered - an issue of the Republic comics was set in a Rakatan temple, there are a lot of callbacks to it in the Legacy comics (including the spirit of Nihilus appearing), the Darth Bane books are basically sequels to KOTOR I, Traviss mentions a lot of the Mandalorian stuff from KOTOR in her books, etc.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 23, 2010

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Diagram of a SSD's bridge tower.

Off topic, but from the text blurb there I see that the history of the Executor is yet another part of established EU lore that Force Unleashed shits over.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

There's a number in some Zahn book saying that the Imperial fleet used to have 24000 Star Destroyers, and a Sector Group had 24 of them. So, you end up with approximately 1000 sectors. Sectors are supposed to have around 50 inhabited worlds.

Which translates into about 50000 inhabited worlds controlled by the Empire, more or less.

If you look at the source materials, most of the galaxy is really sparsly inhabited and major population centers are relatively few in number.

But even then, the same time Zahn was doing the Thrawn Trilogy the West End Games roleplaying game sourcebooks (which Zahn read and incorporated stuff from) said the Empire had 1.5 million inhabited planets under its direct jurisdiction with 69 million 'colonies'. So even then, it was Zahn just willingly coming up with a much lower number rather than higher-end alternatives that he himself was reading. I really like Zahn, he's one of the best in the EU, but he is reaaaallly bad about making things as minimal as possible.

I mean, Thrawn's fleet with which he reconquered half the galaxy had what, a dozen Star Destroyers? And less than 200 century-old wrecks of inferior design were considered enough to be a decisive advantage?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

Zahn has a pretty good line about this in the Hand of Thrawn-duology. Most of the Imperial fleet was really keeping a lid on things and making sure that the various factions in the galaxy don't start poo poo up. So, it's not as much about how many ships you have, but how many you can use in your offensives. I think that some book mentions that Thrawn used many dreadnaughts to free up better ships.

What bothers me is more the fact that 200 ships, or even 20,000, could be considered a decisive force on a galaxy-wide scale. It's just excessive minimalization, not quite as bad as Traviss, but it still bothers me. Or like in Stackpole how an entire planet is conquered just by having Rogue Squadron and a Mon Cal cruiser fight a Star Destroyer and then land in the capitol city, although I suppose that might be a bit of Mary Sueism instead.

stawk Archer posted:

On the upside (so far); the minor characters are done well in every case. It's obvious that the author is good, but I wonder if he is contract bound to either quote the trilogy or make an overly obvious reference to it twice in every chapter.

I think part of this might be explained that, when the Thrawn trilogy came out, they were pretty much the first new Star Wars anything in 8 years and part of it was testing the water to see if there was still a market for special editions and prequels (it was partly the success of the Thrawn trilogy that convinced Lucas he should do the prequel trilogy). Star Wars fandom wasn't anywhere near as rabid and ubiquitous it is today and Lucasfilm worried that there might not be a market for new Star Wars stuff (lol) so the need to keep reminding readers "Hey, remember [iconic scene from Empire Strikes Back?]" might be part of it.

And then later authors kept doing it because the existence of a rabid Star Wars fandom had been established and knew that by sprinkling in a ton of references to Ord Mantell and Boba Fett and "I have a bad feeling about this" and THX-1138 was a surefire way to make the fans feel clever for catching the references and keep buying books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

So I was playing KOTOR the other day and it got me thinking: The game takes place 4000 years before Episode I, yet the technology level has not advanced at all in that timespan. I guess after FTL travel, unlimited energy sources, and human-like AI, there's nothing else to develop. Either that or the Jedi and Sith created a conspiracy to keep the tech the same, to prevent one side from gaining an advantage over another.

The Tales of the Jedi comics that are set just before KOTOR had designs that were supposed to look more archaic than the movie-era designs. However when KOTOR was being made Bioware decided that the Tales designs were stupid and just copied the movie aesthetics, basically. I don't know if there's ever been any sort of in-universe explanation as to why galactic designs and engineering change so suddenly in the years between Tales and KOTOR.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

T-1000 posted:

Also the problem that authors have no imagination and just keep rewriting the original trilogy: epic wars between rebels/republic and the ____ Empire, invariably decided by a few guys with magic powers having swordfights, usually during a space battle. I'd be interested to see how many Empires there has been through star wars history that suffered that fate; off the top of my head I can think of about five at least.

I think a bigger problem now is authors just rewriting the prequel trilogy. For whatever godawful reason. Vector Prime seemed really disconnected from the Bantam EU because all of a sudden everyone is trying to imitate the prequel-era Jedi/Republic/etc. KOTOR Jedi are basically carbon copies of the Jedi philosophy from the prequels rather than the far different TOTJ Jedi that existed in that era prior. One of the (many) problems of LOTF was that it was basically just the prequel movies except Anakin and Palpatine get killed at the end. Dark Nest has segments where the OT characters literally sit around and watch holograms of prequel movie scenes. Even Legacy, which I love, really obviously is heavily mired in the prequel plotlines and aesthetics. I guess this makes a bit of sense since it's part of Lucasfilm's constant post-1999 strategy of saturating the market with prequel stuff to convince people they aren't terrible movies/sell as much poo poo as possible, but it's especially annoying when you see all these plots in Bantam era books and comics of Luke and Co. trying to determine what shape their new Jedi and new Republic should be only for it to then go "well, let's just base everything on the same flawed system that led us to this mess in the first place!"

I do like the interpretation that the Republic/Quinlan Vos comics are Ostrander's attempt to show what the journey of Anakin's seduction to the dark side should have been like rather than the shallow poo poo the movies showed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The whole Obi-Wan's nickname being Ben was originally going to be brought up in ROTS, during the dicussion between Obi-Wan and Anakin at the start when they're flying their fighters to rescue the Chancellor, but I don't think the particular dialogue was ever filmed, which is good because from what I remember reading of it it was pretty stupid. It was basically something along the lines of "Good flying Ben!" "Don't use my nickname, I don't like it!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

What's absurd about Kershner is you look at his other credentials and you feel like there's no way it's the same director.

He did the pilot episode of SeaQuest DSV, which when I was younger was the first TV show that I became an actual "fan" of. I rewatched the series on Netflix recently and it definitely is not as good as I remembered it, but the pilot episode was still decent, I think.

LLJKSiLk posted:

He's just going to freeze himself so he can be FORCE unleashed on our unsuspecting offspring.

Haden Blackman will direct the funeral FMVs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

arioch posted:

Also, killing Kenth Hamner is like the most blatant and weakest "poo poo got real" moment since uh he's pretty much never been given any characterization. Ever.

And also he's killed by Denning's pet character, who all the other Jedi then comfort and forgive and then force to become Grand Master because she's just so great.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I looked up Hamner on Wookiepedia because I had no idea who he was or what he did despite always seeing his names in novels and came across this:

:wtc:

As I recall this also was from a Denning book. Denning must not really like the guy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay, I just saw an episode of that CGI Clone Wars series where they re-invade Geonosis?

Why the heck didn't they just keep a garrison on the planet?

In EU stuff released after Attack of the Clones there was a Republic garrison on Geonosis, but the CGI Clone Wars people apparently ignored that. Also consider the fact that a good deal of the show's season 2 episodes consisted of invasions of planets that apparently are the ones getting re-invaded in ROTS, and also the first episode of season 3 (the battle of Kamino) is pretty much a direct ripoff of the first issue of the original Clone Wars arc in the Republic comics where almost the exact same things happen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Andorian Blues posted:

Merry Life Day everyone :3:

I watched the Holiday Special for the first time a week or so ago. As bad as I knew it would be going in...it couldn't prepare me for the actual thing. No amount of knowledge of it can prepare someone for their first viewing of the Holiday Special.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just wanted to let you know that if you have Steam, as part of their holiday specials for the next 24 hours the entire collection of Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games is available for only 5 dollars:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2103/

That comes out to only 1 dollar a game, not too bad for one of the best Star Wars game franchises. Even though JA had a story that was completely nonsensical and suffered from not having Kyle Katarn as the player character, I still thought it was really fun to play.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

That's if it ever gets done. The first time I heard anything about it was back around EP I time, the loving thing might never get done.

They filmed it around the time Indiana Jones IV came out, but then Lucas decided they needed to reshoot parts of it and so he's doing the reshoots himself (the earlier shots were done by someone else) so...there goes any chance it had of being good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

What are the good EU comics? I have read enough EU novels as a kid to never really care to read them again but I'm more willing to waste some time reading a Star Wars comic book. Any recommendations? Or did I do a poor job of reading the thread?

As RagnarokAngel said, KOTOR is pretty well regarded. If you're into the more "old school" EU style than Tales of the Jedi, Dark Empire, and X-wing: Rogue Squadron are the staples. For the "modern" (ie, post-prequel) style of EU, it's KOTOR, Republic (especially the Quinlan Vos/Clone Wars arcs) and Legacy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Does Lucas hate the original movies that much and like the Prequels so much more?

The answer to this is honestly "yes".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always thought that in the prequels Obi-Wan should have started off as a Han Solo equivalent - already in his 30s wise-rear end, street-smart but impulsive, so that the movies could have shown his development into the wiser, more mature figure he was in the OT. I thought that would have held more weight than what we saw (although to be fair, it does seem that Obi-Wan's portrayal is one of the less disagreeable parts of the PT).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

Okay, now that's just loving ridiculous. It's bad enough that someone evidently thought that Owen just HAD to be telling the truth about the spice freighter, but the fact that the article also mentions a planet called LEGO is just icing on the cake.

Not that I like to defend terribly spergy stuff like that from Lucas and Filoni, but to be fair, but it's not Lego, it's Iego (with an I) which is the angel planet mentioned by Anakin in TPM.

However, to make up for it, I will point out the planet Neeilgaimon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My personal re-write is that his security detail (assuming you are talking about the red/blue guards) are Force-adept Sith acolytes. They are a lifeboat in the event that both Sith lords are killed. They've been given enough training to restart the line in secrecy again, but not enough to be apprentices themselves or be a threat to Palpatine.

I'm sure there is some EU depth about them, but I've never read it.

Crimson Empire. The first one was pretty good, the second one not so much, and now they're making a third basically only because the author is the head of Dark Horse's Star Wars division. Crimson Empire does show that the Royal Guards are Force users even though most of them just seem to have the ability be latent and not have been given any training. CE was supposed to establish that all the royal guards were clones of a single Force-user (this was before AOTC and the whole "stormtroopers are all clones" thing) but apparently later EU authors completely missed this.

I like the idea of the royal guards being used as potential Sith apprentices to restart the line if Vader and Palps were killed, but it's always seemed to me (given DE and especially after ROTS) that Palpatine just assumed that he was going to live forever, and so naturally made everything completely dependent on him and didn't give a gently caress about leaving a system of government or a Sith organization that was capable of succeeding him, or having competent underlings, because in his mind it was all about him and him forever, and if he ever did manage to get killed off he honestly didn't give a poo poo about whether his followers could sustain it or not, since he wouldn't be around to appreciate it. That seems more in line with Palpatine's completely solipsistic reasoning, and hey I just realized it also explains why the Empire goes to poo poo so soon after he dies - not because all these brilliant warlords and advisors and strategists are scrambling to follow him, but because Palpatine deliberately chose idiots due to being a sort of sore loser to ensure that if he wasn't around to lead the Empire and the Sith, than they would self-destruct as soon as possible to ensure that no one would.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's what I was thinking. Chairman Capone is obviously correct about what is reflected in the stories, it's just another element I don't care for. Palpatine should be the ultimate expression of his ideology, he should be a true believer. It's taken 1000 years for the Sith to use their insanely selective policy, hone their power, and put the pieces in place to achieve their ultimate goal.

You could make the argument that Palpatine is proof of the failure of the ideology, but I think it makes him a more shallow, less interesting character.

You could argue that Palpatine saw the Rule of Two as a concept/ideology established by Bane to set the foundation for the Sith to continue, survive, slowly undermine the Jedi, and lay the foundations for their return to power. And that since Palpatine had finally accomplished all those tasks, destroying the Jedi and taking over the galaxy for the Sith, perhaps he felt the Rule of Two no longer applied, and it was time for a new Sith ideology to take its place, just as the Rule of Two replaced the previous Sith ideology when the galactic circumstances changed.

On the topic of the Rule of Two, while I have no problem with it as it is (something Bane came up with that the Sith for the next 1000 years used) one thing that bothered me about KOTOR was how the writers basically made it apply to that era, one of the many grafting of prequel elements into the old republic era Jedi. And then Karpyshyn bringing it full circle in his books to state that Revan developed the Rule of Two and Bane just got the idea from his holocron.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chaos Hippy posted:

You mean the games that, in the first, featured a Sith training academy with a ton of students and, in the second, had three claimants to the title of Sith Lord?

The first KOTOR had a bunch of Sith apprentices but it was pretty clear that there were only two actual Sith Lords at any time, and that they were master and apprentice. I wasn't talking about KOTOR II because its writers were far more creative and subtle with their depiction of the Sith than Karpyshyn is/was, or really pretty much anyone else is/was.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

Oh, cool. Is that the same comic series I've seen where the guy's telling the awesome story of how happy he was that although the Death Star II was destroyed, it rained death on the planet of teddy bears?

That was one of the issues of Star Wars Tales, though I'm not sure of which one.

The X-wing part where Fel is telling his backstory is actually the standalone issue "The Making of Soontir Fel" which comes right after the In the Empire's Service arc, although In the Empire's Service does still show the whole Brentaal battle from the view of Fel and his squadron. And a lot of the Empire comic is still disappointingly from the Rebel POV, but the volume "The Imperial Perspective" is fully from the Imperial view, as one might expect. It also features the awesome story "To the Last Man" which is basically the movie Zulu but with stormtroopers and aliens rather than Brits and Zulus.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

What frustrates me at the moment is there is a pefectly eighteen year long gap where we can get some non Jedi early Empire/Alliance stuff going but all we've seen so far is the Force Unleashed games a book where Vader gets his groove back.

I mean, come on godammit!

That's actually because Lucasfilm has blocked the EU from having stuff set between one year after ROTS and one year before ANH, to keep that space clear for the eventual live-action show. Which, considering how much the Clone Wars show is at odds with the earlier Clone Wars EU, is probably for the best in the long run.

I've been reading some of the 1970s Marvel comics from the Dark Horse Omnibuses, and there's one issue which is a flashback to Obi-Wan when he was a Jedi during the Old Republic, fighting pirates around Alderaan. I have to hand it to Lucas - I think the brown robes of the PT-era Jedi are a much better choice than the skintight black and white jumpsuit Marvel depicted Obi-Wan wearing:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Obiwan_silent_drifting.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TheLoquid posted:

I was thinking today that it would be neat if there was a sort of mad scientist archetype who appeared early as the guy who perfected cloning, and reappeared throughout the PT with various experiments. For example, Grievous could be one of the scientist's creations, and he could later turn that technology on Vader.

Lucasfilm was actually considering this idea for a toy line when they were fishing around for ideas for a way to make new toys after ROTJ came out - the backstory was that there was a mad scientist who developed outlaw cloning technology and used it to invade the Republic with an army of clones, which started the Clone Wars. (And then came back after ROTJ to take over the Empire along with a resurrected Tarkin...but that's beside the point). But I always thought that idea made sense. I figure pretty much everyone figured that the Clone Wars was Jedi vs. Clones.

Since we're sending out prequel ideas, my basic requirements would be:
-If they did show the first meeting between Obi-Wan and Anakin, have it so that Anakin actually was the hotshot pilot of a spice freighter
-Padme (or whoever Anakin's love interest was) should be from Alderaan