Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've always been really fascinated by Alan Dean Foster's career as the king of writing movie novelizations. My dad had a ton of paperback movie novelizations for whatever reason, so I actually read his novelization of Alien before seeing the movie. Same with a lot of his Star Trek episode adaptations, and his The Dig novelization. I know some of his original novels from the 70s got a good reception, I need to get around to reading those at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not to double post, but with the latest Mandalorian episode, I thought it was funny that after the first episode drew so much from Aftermath, this one simultaneously referenced and contradicted the Aftermath books (with the mention of Chandrila as the New Republic's current capitol still).

Also I feel like Moff Gideon's evil plan is to make Dark Troopers straight out of Dark Forces.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Also those droid-looking things with Gideon are literally called Dark Troopers in the descriptive audio version of the episode

Haha. Awesome. I love it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

At the very least it couldn't be a worse take than the "many Bothans" dying being a few crewmembers on a single ship.

It's funny how deeply "Bothans" and "Death Star plans" are in people's minds, I remember when the plot of Rogue One was announced, so many people were wondering who the Bothans would be played by.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's a shame that we didn't get Colin Treverrow's episode 9, since it was going to include both Bossk and Kuat in it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what?

If you haven't read the script online, it's worth tracking down just to see a glimpse at a "what-if" (which never would have happened anyway, given that it was written before Carrie Fisher died). It's packed with Bantam-era EU references.

It might not have been a better movie than the IX we got (I think the first half of the script is stronger, and then the back half is underbaked) but I do think it would have been a more interesting movie. And I say this as someone who has never really liked Treverrow starting from Safety Not Guaranteed.

Still a lot of really dumb stuff in it, though. Rey and Poe are the main romantic couple, and their climax is Rey using a Jedi Mind Trick to force a crying Poe to leave her as she kisses him, so she can go off and fight Kylo Ren. But I do like that the climax of the movie is set on Coruscant, and involves Finn leading a revolution of the oppressed everyday citizens in the undercity who are just so tired of all these star wars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Finn not going on to lead to a stormtrooper uprising is one of those big, glaringly-obvious story arcs that I can't believe the sequels waffled on, after TFA (and to a lesser extent TLJ) set that up for him so well.

Though honestly the big thing I really wanted to see in the sequels was Anakin's ghost appearing to Luke. Still very miffed at not seeing that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

i81icu812 posted:

Anyway, have any of the new star wars books been any good? Curious if any of the filoni stuff is worth reading after seeing the Mandalorian episode.

I don't think Filoni has actually written any books, has he? I know the pre-Disney tie-in books to the Clone Wars show were not worth reading.

chaosrefined posted:

Relatedly, I've been meaning to watch the clone wars and rebels shows since the mandalorian started, are there any episodes of either I can skip guilt free?

There are definitely a lot of Clone Wars episodes that can be skipped, especially because that show is extremely episodic, far more than Rebels or Mandalorian.

I'm kind of surprised, my girlfriend loves the movies but other than them, the Mandalorian is the only Star Wars thing she's consumed. She absolutely loved the Ahsoka episode and has now been reading up on her and wants to start watching Clone Wars and Rebels. I might make an essential viewing guide for her, if so I'll post it here.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The guy doing the fan animation of Dark Empire uploaded the trailer for his second episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLDgyOqL2Kc

For those who don't know, he's using the audio from the official Dark Empire audio adaptation (which is a bit different from the comic itself) and animating it in a style that combines the actual DE art with the Holiday Special animated segment, with some visual nods to various things from both the EU and movies that came out since the early 90s (in that trailer for example, its design of the Imperial Palace is from the Rebels spinoff products).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Over the last couple years, I've kind of drifted away from reading Star Wars books. Still read the occasional comic, but I think the new books have been diminishing returns both quality and creative-wise. Not that the old EU ten years ago was any better but I think I'm at a stage in my life where I can't keep justifying putting in time reading about the time Grand Admiral Thrawn went shopping at Galaxy's Edge. Plus in the last year, The Mandalorian and the newer EA games have filled the EU-shaped hole in my heart more than most of the recent books.

I also realized it's almost five years to the day since Force Awakens came out. Feels like a different era. Still, cynical as I am (and hell, as I was then) it was still fun to get swept up in the hype and the feeling of being in the theater opening night. I actually still think that the first hour or so of TFA is perhaps the most enjoyable of the Disney movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I should say, what I really liked about the Star Wars books as a kid was how they'd be about wild stuff not in the movies, like Leia's kids or X-Wing squads or weird aliens. Are the new books branching off into uncharted territory like that or are they sticking with "Here's what this major character did in between the movies!"

If anything I think the focus of books since the Disney purchase has been a lot more limited in scope than the old EU, with a few exceptions. Maybe that's starting to change now that the sequel movies are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm sure that's going to happen.