Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

^^^ Ray Park was Toad, so he's cool by me.

TwoSheds posted:

You're not missing anything, and I loved the first one. The gameplay is unchanged for the most part, and even improved in some areas, but the story is uninspired and the game as a whole is inexcusably short.

I just played a couple of hours, and you're right about the gameplay. It's basically exactly the same except for Mind Trick, which is consistently hilarious. I just love running into mobs of Stormtroopers and creating a little Imperial Mosh Pit :3:

The plot's just kind of...boring, though. It's not even entertainingly bad, like the first one, it's just very blah. I did like how Yoda seems incredibly uncomfortable to even be in the cutscenes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Goddamn, TFU2 is a short game. I guess they tried to make up for it by making the final boss the most drawn-out, tedious thing I've ever done in a video game. And I played WoW, for fucks sake. That end boss was seriously so boring I don't even know if I want to go back and get the Dark Side ending.

And yeah, it ends on a cliffhanger that will never get resolved because TFU3 got canceled.

What's the familiar feeling? That...cloying sense of disappointment? I guess this is Star Wars after all :allears:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, there's some hilarious indication that Darth Vader threw the entire fight so he could train his other, even more secret Dark Apprentice.

Also Boba Fett is apparently planning to rescue Vader for some reason.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BonHair posted:

I thought we were fighting over Star Wars because we can't get laid in the first place?

Poontang leads to the Dark Side. Look what happened to Anakin!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

So I'd like to give the unpopular opinion here: I really enjoyed Force Unleashed 2. It was shorter than it really should have been, and the Vader fight was obnoxiously long, but I had a lot of fun with it. Sure they didn't resolve anything - and it was really tiring hearing Starkiller yell "Juno!" the entire freaking game - but I'd say it was about what I was expecting. gently caress those god drat droids with shields though.

I will say that as someone who always plays Light Side, and for who TFU1/2 was no exception, that the Dark Side ending was SO much superior in this game. I really didn't expect anything other than what happened, but the entire scene was a better overall ending for the game than the ughhh Light Side ending.

For a game where every other tag word was "BOBA FETT" he had all of like a minute of actual time in the game though. I'm honestly not shocked that they canned the third game. My favorite part of the entire game was the extremely close camera angled cinema cuts before the Vader fight. It's how the scene would have been handled in a movie, so I thought it was a nifty idea.

I guess it's almost too much to ask for an awesome new Star Wars game, isn't it? I mean something they put time and effort into that Lucas doesn't just poo poo all over?

As the thread's resident TFU fanboy (have I mentioned lately how much Rahm Kota owns? Cuz he does), I can see you point, but I was mostly disappointed by how they managed to fix none of the flaws of the first game. As much as I love the first game, it had a ton of problems, and they are all still present in the sequel.

Saber combat was boring in the first one, so they took out nearly all the combos and reduce it to just hitting the X button until the baddies die. Enemies who were immune to your powers were always annoying, so they decided to put them in nearly every level! The boss fights were the most tedious part of The Force Unleashed, so what do they do? Give the bosses buckets more health and irritatingly repetitive attack patterns! The floaty jumping make platforming unreliable in the first game, so here's an idea: let's make the ENTIRE FINAL BOSS a platforming section!

Plus, it was short as hell. I guess it's nice to hear the Dark Side ending was better than the lovely Light Side one, but there's no way in gently caress I'm playing through that Vader fight again.

But it's still not the worst Star Wars game I ever played, so that's something.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

Let me save you the trouble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7ky2dN6xI

Dark Side Ending.

Thank you, now I can trade this game in without a second thought. I'll think fondly of you when I'm playing Kirby's Epic Yarn :allears:

And you were right. That was way better than the Light Side.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TwoSheds posted:

...he does? I thought his VA did a laughable job on this one. He sounds like he has some kind of weird speech impediment where he pronounces "er" sounds like "ew," Like that one part where you're aboard The Salvation: "Clear the deck, Starkillew!"

Other gems of note, speaking of bad voice acting/bad dialogue:

Starkiller explains his crazy plan of ramming the Salvation into Kamino's planetary shield

Rahm Kota: ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIP

*beat*

Rahm Kota: Are you sure about this?

and

Arrrgghhhthebridgeisout, general!

I didn't mind saber combat, but trying to get a gold medal on Trial 1 (the combo one) has ruined the lightsaber for me forever.

Rahm owns because in the first game, when Starkiller questions pulling a goddamn Star Destroyer out of orbit, he basically calls you a pussy and tells you to just loving do it.

He's also the only Jedi I've ever seen fight off Stormtroopers while stumbling around drunk and blind. :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TwoSheds posted:

That's not really an accomplishment. I'm pretty sure a non-jedi drunken blind man could take at least a few stormtroopers down before passing out in a booze-induced stupor. Even those goddamn teddy bears (with the assistance of a ragtag band of poorly-equipped rebels) took out a legion of the Emperor's best troops.

That's a good point. Poor Stormtoopers :(

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I was going through a nostalgia kick, so I decided to listen to a bunch of old Weird Al songs. So, the song "YODA" comes on, and I get to the lyrics "I asked him his name, and in a raspy voice he said 'Yoda'", and I started sperging the gently caress out because that's not the way it happened and Yoda was completely evasive with Luke and a total dick, and then I realized what I was doing and wanted to die.

And I blame all of you.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CJSwiss posted:

I hate to Godwin this but in this case it's actually appropriate since the Empire was largely inspired by them, but Nazis looked and acted pretty evil and that worked out well enough for them.

There's kind of a difference between dressing in dark uniforms and literally looking like the devil if he was really pale and melty.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Obi Wan says that Tusken Raiders walk in single file to hide their numbers. Hide their numbers from who? Seems like Krayt dragons are the only thing that scares them. The fact that even Obi Wan didn't want to be around when they came back implies that they aren't to be taken lightly, and they life in lovely huts with nothing worth stealing, so who are they hiding from?

Well, a few years back, some blonde kid came through and massacred a whole village in the night, so the Tuskens have been sort of jumpy ever since.

Or, there could be warring tribes of Tusken Raiders and they're hiding from each other.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kill Whitey posted:

Did Salacious Crumb die when Jabba's party skiff exploded?

No, Salacious actually escaped to Coruscant, where he built up a criminal empire by gathering up the remnants of Xizor's followers. Palpatine took an interest in Salacious, sensing his powerful force abilities and hunger for power. Salacious Crumb became the Emperor's Other Hand, and fought an army of Starkiller clones in an ice cave on Hoth. Salacious was victorious, but gravely wounded and disfigured. He underwent extensive reconstructive surgery, rendering him unrecognizable. As such, he was no longer Salacious Crumb, and took on a new name.

That name was Thrawn.

(where's my money, Lucasbooks?)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Did anyone else have the awesome Micro Machines Falcon?

poo poo, that thing is somewhere in my basement right now. I need to dig it out. I also had that stormtrooper rifle that made noises and poo poo. It was badass as gently caress. I dunno what happened to it, but I think I still have that pew-pew Han Solo gun.

There's probably a box packed full of action figures in the basement somewhere, too. I had all them shits.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

So what's the current official reason for Obi-Wan leaving Anakin to burn? Did he think Anakin was dead or are they still going with the book's weak "Don't kill an unarmed enemy, not the Jedi way, etc."?

Obi-wan had to listen to Anakin blather on about sand and Padme for like 10+ years. It was just very cathartic for him, okay?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

This image is still the best thing about this whole thread. I wish there was a way to make it the thread title.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Anyone else see the previews for the new Crimson Empire comic? The art is ridiculous, it almost looks like an extended editorial cartoon. With lasers.

And speaking of ridiculous Dark Horse stuff, I found this latest gem in the Legacy letter column

This is only a portion of the single long letter they published for this issue of Legacy. The rest is generic gushing without the MANDOS :goonsay:. The asterisks are because they also provided a translation key for all the Mando words this dude threw out there. But gently caress if I'm gonna copy that over.

Really I'm convinced they must only get like the same five or so people writing letters, because they keep printing the same guys month after month. This time maybe only the one dude came out of the woodwork, I guess?

I really miss the days where all I knew about Mandolorians came from KOTOR 2 and the Republic Commando game. They were just really neat warrior dudes who were kind of jerks, but you liked them anyway because they blew stuff up, then walked away from the explosion in slow-mo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

I miss the days when you could like Boba Fett and Mandalorians without the internet making you feel ashamed of it. :(

It's okay, Mandos are still super awesome if you ignore all the stupid poo poo about them.

Just like the rest of the EU!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NeonTurtle posted:

So, when's the last time anyone in this thread actually watched a Star Wars movie? I think it's been about 2 years for me.

Spike TV tends to show them every holiday weekend, usually the prequels, but occasionally the OT.

Empire Strikes Back is like Die Hard; if I see it's on TV, I just kinda drop everything and watch it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

So what was everyone's favourite book? I'd have to say mine is Starfighters of Adumaar. I can't put my finger on why I love it so much, I just do.

Wes Janson in a cape. A cape that is actually flexible flatscreens showing highlights of his career.

This is why Starfighters of Adumar is everyone's favorite.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Aren't there any other traditional Jedi weapons? Has there ever been a Jedi who just went "gently caress this close combat poo poo, I'm getting a blaster"?

Kyle loving Katarn was much more known for his blaster than his saber. Also, there was that one time he punched Krayt dragons to death with his bare loving hands.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NGL posted:

Savage Oppress is a terrible name, but the character is decent. He actually has character arc with way more depth than Darth Maul and was a key part of the only decent story arc in season 3 of TCW.

Greedo had a deeper character arc than Darth Maul. Maul is just a scary-looking video game boss.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

For me, the biggest problem with the Yoda fight in Ep. 2 is just that there's absolutely no tension. We know nothing happens to Yoda, Obi-Wan or Anakin, because this is a prequel. Dooku is an mortal danger, but it doesn't matter because we just met this dude like ten minutes ago. He's barely a step up from Maul at this point, and we know basically nothing about his character and motivations beyond "Is Christopher Lee" and "Is evil".

So, we basically have a completely pointless fight that we already know the outcome to. On top of that, Yoda's flipping around like a jack-rear end while Christopher Lee desperately trying to look like he's fighting some CGI thing that isn't there. Also, Dooku runs off twirling his mustache while Yoda struggles to lift a rock. A big rock, granted, but come on. He's supposed to be the most powerful Jedi ever at this point. Is it that hard to write an end to the fight where Dooku loses but escapes?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How does an Ewok cross the road?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

In a paste stuck to the foot of an AT-ST.

'E walks! :haw:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ninja_Orca posted:

Tuskens are responsible for Darth Krayt therefore they are worthless.

Counterpoint: Tuskens took potshots at Anakin during the pod-race. Clearly, they are heroes.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Rebuttal: They failed to kill him, though.

They tried, okay? <:mad:>

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

Lightsabers held together by lightsabers. gently caress yea

Hell, look how excited about it that dinosaur is :haw:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Locutus of Bald posted:

Oh gently caress yeah!

Man, the EU is just a bunch of high school students sitting around in some guy's basement smoking weed and every now and again saying, "Duuuuuuuuude. You know what would be loving badass? A lightsaber that holds together TWO OTHER LIGHTSABERS!", isn't it? :(

Dude, that's the EU on a good day.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Goddamn Darth Maul is alive and in exile in the Outer Rim?!

Figured I'd spoiler as the show is fairly recent.

Haha, how in the gently caress?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I've been thinking about this, and there is absolutely no way in gently caress Darth Maul could possibly be alive. Even in that crazy Infinities story where he got robots legs, everyone seems to overlook the fact that being cut in half wasn't the only fatal thing to happen to him.

Even if being loving bisected didn't kill him instantly, he fell down a crazy huge pit. Even if the lightsaber cauterized the wound or he used some Force BS to hold his guts in, he's hitting the ground at terminal velocity. I mean, if Palps somehow immediately got a hold of him, maybe he'd be able to slap on some robo-legs. But even if Spliffy P himself was waiting at the bottom of that unexplained pit, Maul gonna hit the ground, and he's gonna hit the ground loving hard. Like a water balloon filled with spaghetti sauce.

Even a full robo-ification like Grievous wouldn't help, because you wouldn't be able to transfer his brain into anything without a loving mop. Remember how Greedo was shot and burned to a crisp? He'd be easier to revive than Maul. I don't care if you have loving Dr. House and the team that built the 6 Million Dollar Man, there ain't poo poo you can do when a guy is just two puddles of meat.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sure, you can use the Force to land crazy jumps and drops, but even if Maul had the mental capacity to do anything other than pass out from shock, he doesn't have any feet to land on. And he cracked his head on the side of the pit on the way down!

Unless the dude landed in a Force powered super handstand, and Palps had a team of expert medical professions just waiting at the bottom of that hole for the whole fight, Maul is dead in at least three different ways.

Edit:

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's your first mistake.

That's a good point, though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really loving hate Star Wars sometimes.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

No, seriously, you guys, bringing back Darth Maul is completely retarded! There is no conceivable way Maul can add anything to the story arc as things are now, and he can't even have his own character arc because he is not a character! I mean, I don't mean to keep harping on this, but I really think

yronic heroism posted:

Also, just in case you thought Star Wars only got creepy in the past decade, this is from 1988:

:stare:
Okay, forget whatever I was just sperging about, just make this go away.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

According to Wookiepedia, Troy Denning created the hairless rape bears for the Star Wars Roleplaying game in 89. So thanks, Troy.

Edit: They apparently also appear in one of Allston's Wraith Squadron books. Which is weird, because I don't remember anyone making GBS threads themselves in terror in Solo Command.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Somehow, Anakin's burn scars were hereditary?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Azzmo posted:

You think this is FUNNY?

I've been trying to think of a funny reply to this, but holy poo poo I can't stop laughing

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I can't decide if Giant Russian Immigrant Chewbacca is my favorite or if Pimp Vader is. Those all own, holy poo poo

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bene Elim posted:

Urgh.

So, aside Han Solo and Bobba Fett, who isn't Force sensitive?

Oddly enough, Yoda. Dude was just really good at bullshitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'll take it if you still got it. SteamId is Crowetron.