Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009
The last thread was always too big and intimidating for me to get into, but now that there's a new one, I'll join in. I'm a huge Star Wars geek.

I realize this was covered in the OP, but can we talk about Karen Traviss a little bit? I'm fully aware that she's a little bit crazy, but none of you guys thought stories about the Mandalorians were cool? I enjoyed the Republic Commandos books immensely. She had that thing about making GBS threads on Jedi, but I think it IS a little bit hosed up that the Jedi took the keys to this clone army with hardly a second thought. I've always enjoyed stories where the Jedi aren't portrayed as infallible as they are in the movies. (I also know that even sort-of defending Traviss may cue :argh:. I just want to be friends. Really!)

I also enjoyed Legacy of the Force. I'm two books behind so far on Fate of the Jedi and that's because I'm finding them a little bit difficult to get into. I'm having trouble caring about the One Sith or whatever they're called.

Looking forward to continued geekery in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009

Azzmo posted:

I speculate that many people, as you're probably about to see, have a personal dislike for Traviss that transcends and ignores the good writing that she has done. The Republic Commando books are some of my favorite Star Wars literature - action stories about small unit operations which ask moralistic questions that might face a soldier and his commanding officers. One of the greatest things is that the stories are self-contained and have very little of the George Lucas taint (ridiculous names, reminders that the prequels exist, attempts to give the prequel storyline some meaning and reason for having existed). Instead it's just guerilla and spec-ops warfare by soldiers who are slowly maturing and starting to ask questions of the world around them.

Your enjoyment of Legacy of the Force is folly, though, and you are a horrible person for enjoying that series.

That's a big reason why I liked them so much. It was different than most Star Wars writing, it came from a different point of view, from characters that hadn't really been covered in that way before.

As far as the Legacy of the Force, (and I suspect you goons have beaten it to death in the old thread) what was so awful about it? It certainly wasn't the best Star Wars writing, but it's far from the worst.

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009
And speaking of The Old Republic, here's the "Hope" trailer for anyone that hasn't seen it. This looks promising, guys.

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009
I don't mean to hijack the current topic, but I don't think this has been mentioned yet either: The supposed live action TV show. I know there's a good chance it'll suck, but my inner child just can't help but get excited. It keeps getting delayed though, so who knows if it'll ever actually exist.