Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Adrianne Curry from "America's Next Top Model" was sexually assaulted by a drunk guy at Celebration. Are there any goons at Celebration who know anything about this?

http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/16/adrianne-curry-americas-next-top-model-arrest-molest-orlando-star-wars-convention/

quote:

Former "America's Next Top Model" champ Adrianne Curry called police in Orlando this weekend ... claiming an allegedly drunk man reached up her skirt and "molested" her outside of a Star Wars convention. Curry called police around 3:00 AM on Sunday to report the incident that allegedly went down in front of the hotel where the Star Wars expo was going down ... but claims it took more than an hour before cops arrived on scene.

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, the officer who arrived at the hotel claims he "came in contact with the male as he lay in the bushes at the entrance to the hotel."

The officer claims he spoke to multiple witnesses -- one of which said the suspect "attempted several times to fight several other people as they stood outside waiting to be picked up for the Star Wars convention."

The man was eventually arrested for disorderly intoxication.

Curry later Tweeted, "cops are here..molesting pervert drunk in the back of their car...going to bed ... i cannot believe last night happened....love starwars...but ready to leave.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

The only good episodes Ive seen so far are the ones with Cade(sp?), the assasin/bounty hunter dude.

Cad Bane. He's kind of a cheesy character, I admit it, but I like him for his Western gun-slinger look. His appearance was based on unused concept art from the OT, which only makes him even cooler:

Surprisingly, Lucas was the one who suggested using a Western film-style bounty hunter in the show. That means that Lucas can still get it right sometimes, which gives me hope until I remember the saying about the stopped clock. :smith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Speaking of terrible Star Wars names, here's how you make up your own! This is buried deep in the last thread, but I think it's worth posting again.

-For the first name, take the first three letters of your surname and add the first two letters of your first name.
-For the surname, take the first two letters of your mother's maiden name and add the first three letters of your birthplace.

For example, John Smith's mother's maiden name was Baker and he was born in New York City, so his Star Wars surname is Smijo Banew.

My name is Linka Huwas, and I sound like a Clone Wars-era Jedi who died like a punk at Geonosis. :downsbravo:

EDIT: Bolded important parts in the example.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 17, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AcridWhistle posted:

According to tvtropes every plot device ever is a trope. Really. Don't believe me ? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Beowulf

They're using the term "trope" to mean "a common or overused theme or device," not the more specific definition of "a use of figurative language."

Also, remember that TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life, and Your Vocabulary, but interestingly it will also Enhance Your Life.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 19, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why did Padme get elected queen anyway? How come a 14 year old was the best candidate on the entire planet?

Because on Naboo, government is traditionally run by kids between the ages of 12 and 20. Seriously. It's pretty much for the same reason that we have teen civics programs on Earth: to instill the values of good citizenship in young people.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
OMG EVERY FANBOY'S DREAM

(More information about this lucky boy can be found here.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So did the same people who examined all the scales for ship size in the movies ever calculate how much or how little square footage there was on those ships per person? A Star Destroyer seems like it would have way more population density than the Death Star, but maybe a bunch of space on the Death Star is just for the power core and huge chasms.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Williams-Sonoma catalog came today. I saw these and knew that I had to tell the Internet about them AT ONCE:

quote:

Star Wars™ Pancake Molds
$19.95

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a Jedi Kitchen Master created an epic breakfast to unleash the power of his Jedi Padawan. Using the Force™, he created three nonstick steel pancake molds in honor of his favorite galactic heroes and villains: Yoda™, Darth Vader™ and a stormtrooper™. Our Star Wars molds couldn’t be easier to use. Just place them with their handles up on a preheated griddle then pour in your batter. After the first side has set, remove the molds and flip the pancakes. Serve a stack drenched in your favorite syrup – and let the adventures begin. Hand-wash. 4 1/2" to 7 3/4” wide. Fold-down handles. Set of three.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/star-wars-pancake-mold/

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bene Elim posted:

^^ On the subject of lighsabers and youtube; someone made videos of some of the RotS duels sped up to double speed so everyone has squeaky hamster-dance voices. They're loving hilarious.

Mace et al. .v. Sideous
Yoda .v. Sideous

Just about any movie is funnier sped up, though.

Youcan'tdothistomeI'mCharlesFosterKane!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

There are NO trilogies, only Zuul.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh man oh man oh man I NEED to show you all this fanfic of truly epic proportions:

:nws: Riding the Wheel of If :nms:

So, Obi-Wan is distraught over Qui-Gonn's death because he never got to tell Qui-Gonn he loved him, when he accidentally makes a lightsaber that sends him to a parallel universe whenever it's switched on. Each universe is different - sometimes radically so - from the one he started out in, but the one constant is that each universe's Obi-Wan loves Qui-Gonn and vice versa. Obi-Wan hops through various universes and has adventures, all the while seeking a Qui-Gonn grieving the loss of his Obi-Wan. There is also lots and lots of gay sex. It's ridiculous and brain-breaking and amazing, and I encourage you all to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 9, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jervas Dudley posted:

At the beginning of KotOR II there's a conversation where you basically tell the game how KotOR ended. That one guy (name escapes me) says something like "She whooped that rear end and rode off into the sunset a hero." Then you can agree or respond variations of the PC's alignment and gender like "I heard HE was A SITH" and he says "Whoops, my bad, thought a chick sounded cooler!"
Atton Rand :swoon:
I have such a huge, girlish crush on him, it's so dumb.

Also, establishing that Revan was a Light Sider means that Carth Onasi shows up and tries to track you down, but picking a Dark-Side Revan means you get one of Darth Malak's old mooks looking for you instead. This makes precious little difference to the main narrative.

Clemen posted:

Do they ever explain why humans are so numerous in the galaxy? Like a home world or did they colonize the galaxy long ago? Or are we just supposed to "go with it"? I wanna sperge bad about this.

Humans are an ancient race whose homeworld and origins are lost to the mists of time. They're numerous because 1) they like to explore and settle in different places and 2) they gently caress like bunnies.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

hellsy posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R2-KT < another one.....
A droid based on a real-world model built for a terminally little girl is actually very touching. :3::hf::cry:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gustavus posted:

That was fun to watch and all, but to sperg, what's with Han being able to talk normally while all the oxygen is being sucked out of the cargo bay?

If you really want to sperg, recall that neither Han, Leia, nor Chewie required protection from decompression while they walked around inside that giant space slug in Empire. See also the TV Tropes article Batman Can Breathe In Space.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dick Trauma posted:

I bought KOTOR off Steam a few months ago but only recently got around to playing it. Now I see why people like HK-47 so much.

Also...

[Carth seems like something is bothering him. Again. Ignore him?]

1. Yes
2. Hell yes

3. Play a female character, listen sympathetically to all his whining about how hard it is to trust you, save his son from the Sith, go Dark Side, watch as he comes to the Star Forge to confess his love and try to convince you back to the Light Side, and kill him. Guess he shouldn't have trusted you after all, hmm? :smug:

EDIT: Then play KOTOR II and make friends with G0-T0. You'll be surprised at what he reveals. Yes, it's obvious that the droid is really the crime lord, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'll just say that you'll find out the weighty import behind his claim that he's "something of a patriot."

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 21, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Chairman Capone posted:

Don't worry, you're not alone. I honestly don't understand the raving reviews it gets when the animation is so terrible, the plots and characterization so simplistic, it completely shits on any of the prior Clone Wars EU stuff that was actually good, etc. Also, Asohka is seriously as bad and annoying character as Jar Jar (who by now has had more screentime in the Clone Wars than the entire prequels put together).

I am sorry, but that point about Asohka is just not true. Yeah, a teen girl is annoying (I should know because I was one), but I'd rather put up with her than with a rabbit-thing who steps in poopy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Faerunner posted:

Just like all their other quality edutainment such as The Boondocks...

Adult Swim shows /= Other Cartoon Network shows

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 23, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Crowetron posted:

But he gets a pass because of his sweet hat.

Exactly! There's a reason that the badass man in the long coat is a cliche.

EDIT: But I still can't help but have a special place in my heart for Ventress, if only because of how she was introduced in the Tartarovsky cartoon. If she were real (and if I had a reasonable guarantee that she wouldn't kill me) I'd go gay for her. :allears:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 24, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bonzo posted:

Also, how the hell does Starkiller survive being ejected into space?

The same reason that Leia, Han, and Chewie didn't need pressure suits to walk around inside that giant worm thing on the asteroid in Empire: the interstellar vacuum doesn't affect GFFA human(oid)s in the same way that it affects real Earth humans. Remember, Star Wars was inspired by those space pulps where everyone wore fishbowls on their heads, and the franchise has always ignored real world physics when convenient. (See also: sound in space, hollow Naboo, lightsabers not burning their users through convection, etc.).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Der Luftwaffle posted:

And why is Yoda there?

It's Yaddle. You can tell it's her because of her long hair.

Also that picture is amazing and I love it forever.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mister Roboto posted:

Who knew that a series that is literally BLACK AND WHITE about Evil and Good would pander to people who have a simplistic view of morality and the world?

Next you'll tell me theforce.com forums are full of religious fundamentalists.

I can definitely see the appeal to the Christian mindset. My favorite part of the movies used to be when Luke is all "I know that there is good in you, Father." His innocent faith in the possibility of redemption, even for the worst sinner, really spoke to me as a Christian who genuinely believes in that sort of thing. :unsmith:
Then I realized that Luke only gave a crap about Vader because he was his ~*DADDY*~. He certainly didn't try to save the Emperor or anyone else on the Death Star. :smith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kloaked00 posted:

From Gizmodo: It's time to forgive George Lucas

http://gizmodo.com/5664218/its-time-to-forgive-george-lucas?skyline=true&s=i

NEVAR! :byodame:

Nevertheless, this article does make a claim that I've made myself: I don't believe that George is just in it for the money. I think he turned out the prequels, cutesy CGI crap and all, because he actually wants to please children - not just sell them toys. The concessions he made to his children reflect his desire to create something for them; he's trying to be a modern-day Lewis Carroll or J.M. Barrie or A.A. Milne, and I feel so sorry for him because he's failing.

But for all that, I know that the time to forgive Lucas will only come if he shows us true repentance.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The general consensus is that the third season is pretty weak so far. The first two episodes about clones on Kamino were good, but ever since it's been mostly HOT DIPLOMATIC ACTION. They're probably trying to branch out a bit, and I can understand that, but they should at least intersperse the "political" episodes with some "action" ones. It's really growing stale.

Also, this happened:

Yes, that is Greedo. And yes, that is the blue opera patron Lucas played in ROTS. His name is Baron Papanoida and he's the Chairman of the Pantoran Assembly.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Casimir Radon posted:

This is a guy who's so libertarian he thinks the Articles of Confederation are better than the Constitution which he considered fascistic. He wrote another book about a parallel universe where George Washington was executed for trying to put down the Whiskey Rebellion, and then gorillas demanded equal rights :psypop:. I'm pretty sure the Alamo one had the Lindbergh baby as president of Texas, and made a bunch of excuses for his dad's Hitler sympathies.

In the Roswell, TX continuity, Hitler himself ended up leaving the Nazis, moving to Texas, becoming a famous muralist, and having a daughter who grew up to be an even more famous sculptor and President of Texas. The most untoward thing he ever did was get drunk at his daughter's inauguration and embarrass himself. :psyduck:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

hollylolly posted:

You could also explain it that baby Leia was Force sensitive and somehow imprinted the memory of Padme on her little baby brain. So, basically, magic.

That's pretty much what I thought, too. My theory for how Leia got the memory when Luke didn't is that her Force talents leaned more toward interpersonal relationships, while his leaned more towards fighting - that's why she's the politician and he's the warrior.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, there's some hilarious indication that Darth Vader threw the entire fight so he could train his other, even more secret Dark Apprentice.

WHAAAAAAAAT?! :psyboom:

Now I almost wish TFU3 hadn't been cancelled, just so I could see how deep the rabbit hole of insanity goes.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

Anakin building Threepio (to help his mom do ???)

Here's my personal canon on that matter: Shmi needs a protocol droid because she's terrible at speaking and understanding alien languages. Many nonhumans in the Star Wars universe can't or won't speak languages other than their own, even if they understand Basic, and Shmi would have had a hard time negotiating encounters with the many nonhumans on Tatooine without the proper language skills. Imagine poor Shmi coming home exhausted from a day at the marketplace, only to be beaten by her master for overpaying for blue milk! Imagine her being screamed at by a client who can't be made to understand that Watto is out for the day!

(Why couldn't Lucas have established this with a sentence or two of dialogue in the film? The world may never know.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Epi Lepi posted:

My bad, guess I just imagined all the fun I had playing Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KOTOR, etc. You're right, Bioware has never made a good game and definitely has not made any critical or commercial blockbusters in the past year or so.

I like their stuff, too, but it's hard to deny that their games are somewhat formulaic. Cracked makes the argument more eloquently than I do.

To get back on Star Wars, check out Cracked's examination of the real hero of the Battle of Yavin.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

arioch posted:

The RotS novelization gave things for me to enjoy about the prequels. Too bad the post-NJO EU is doing all it can to quash all of them. That's pretty much why I haven't even cracked FotJ:Outcast.

I like how it made Padme's own POV just as incredibly two-dimensional lovey-dovey for Anakin as she is shown in the films and as she would have to be to marry a guy who just admitted he killed a bunch of kids.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RagnarokAngel posted:

For a time Orson Welles was up for a possibility, but they thought he would be too recognizable and break immersion.

Aw crap, now you've got me trying to imagine a Star Warsy version of "Frozen Peas" and it's really hard. :(

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PlasticPaddy posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but this thread is long.

Whats the general consensus on the new Clone Wars cartoon? Is it atleast better than the PT?

How could it not be? (And the serious answer actually is yes.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Loopyface posted:

Does it need explaining past he understands that language?

Welcome to Star Wars.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is better than whatever the hell his dad did that cost him a leg.

Come to think of it, why didn't Clegg Larrs just get a prosphetic leg instead of that undignifiying hover chair?

Because hover-chairs are awesome, that's why.:colbert:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Croatian posted:

What species do Han Solo, Lando, and basically most protagonists belong to?

They're humans, nothing more and nothing less. In the GFFA, they're an ancient species whose homeworld and origins are lost to history, and it's not clear why they appear to be identical to Earth humans.

IMHO, Basic is the language that the "real" Star Wars people spoke, and the film actors are speaking English for our benefit. People speak modern English in virtually every other Hollywood movie with a non-English speaking setting, so why should Star Wars be any different?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Where is the heat escaping to, anyway? The vacuum of sound-transmitting space? :smug:

E: Didn't read Captain Von Trapp's post carefully enough. :blush:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
:eng101:The pig people are called Ugnaughts.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

LLJKSiLk posted:

RE: Dark Side - is there an actual intoxication that happens when relying on your emotions to use the force instead of meditation and focus? Do you feel more in-tune with the force when using your emotions instead of "light side" stuff? Anakin for instance was talking gibberish in Episode III about overthrowing the Emperor and ruling the galaxy, never-mind the fact he'd be laughed out of the senate and shot by stormtroopers. Or does that have less to do with the dark side and more to do with Anakin being a whiny bitch.

I see the Dark Side as being like anabolic steroids - they're both great if you need a short-term boost, but also they screw with your health and appearance and can easily turn you into a crazy rear end in a top hat.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

McGann posted:

Meth/Dark Side stuff

Hey, you're right! You made the best analogy, you win the thread in my eyes. :allears:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

mllaneza posted:

The younger brother is always the evil one.

Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bash Ironfist posted:

Why is it so bad that there was a Yoda fight scene? I figure its like in those kung-fu movies where the little old master gets attacked and beats up the bad guys.

What up, actually-liked-flippy-Yoda buddy. :sympathy:

I admit that it's stupid, I'm just better at turning off my brain than the rest of you. At least I didn't cry during ROTS like my dad did. (I wish I was kidding about that last bit.)