Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh. Well I guess I'm glad I convinced you to give Lowtax :10bux:.

On another note, I want to rant for a minute on something that only occurred to me as I was going back through the Dark Empire trilogy. I understand that RotJ is not one of people's favorite Star Wars films if only because of the Ewoks. (You know what? gently caress the haters, I love the Battle of Endor.:colbert: Although the Battle for Endor can suck a bag of dicks.) But there's one thing I've never heard anyone complain about : Vader's sacrifice to save Luke. It's the moment of his redemption; all the evil, horrible stuff he'd done since being complicit in Mace's death can't entirely be forgiven, but he chose the light side for long enough to do away with the greatest evil in the galaxy.

Except, gently caress you! Turns out that P-Spliffy had a brigade of clones he can transfer his soul into whenever he wants! So instead of destroying the most powerful Sith of all time, all Vader managed was to delay him for a few years so that a guy who looks like a beachball with arms can end him finally. Bra-loving-vo, Tom Veitch.

Vader's redemption and especially Luke's faith in him are what makes RoTJ my favorite movie, even though it doesn't have much technical merit as ESB. (Also, the Ewoks don't bother me because I see them for the evil little bastards they are.) The negation of Vader's sacrifice is exactly the reason I hate Dark Empire with a burning passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Not quite:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong#Origins_of_.22Yuuzhan_Vong.22

quote:

The name "Yuuzhan Vong" was developed at a French-Thai restaurant in New York City, called Vong, which several Del Rey employees were patronizing. The Yunnan region was mentioned in a list of teas on a menu that Shelly Shapiro—who was present—was reading, and the first draft of the name that would eventually be given to the intergalactic invaders was born of "Yunnan Vong."

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why does everyone focus on all the fantasy junk in Jedi vs. Sith and never on its brutal subversion of the child adventure genre? The story of Bug, Tomcat, and Rain is the greatest tragedy in Star Wars.

I'm a killer too.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 28, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Decius posted:

Mortis apparently was indeed the brain child of Lucas (usually he kept to JarJar and the droids in the series IIRC), so the whole thing is pretty much what Lucas claims he always imagined for the Force.

It's important to remember that when Lucas says that he planned Star Wars out from the beginning, he's lying. All the credible evidence (laid out in Michael Kaminsky's The Secret History of Star Wars) points to Lucas making up the Star Wars saga as he went along.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I named my Female Revan Magna Altru, for "magnaminity" and "altruism." She was a big ol' goody-two-shoes.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Knights of the Old Republic comic series is quite good, but focuses almost exclusively on original characters and only features Revan in a small cameo. (A couple of other KotOR characters play larger roles.)

The Revan novel is terrible: it shits all over KotOR and even more on the sequel. If your KotOR experience is at all special to you, avoid that book like the plague.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Your son may be more interested in the Clone Wars and Rebels tie-in chapter books, of which there are many. Some of them are novelizations of episodes, while others are original stories; kids can easily enjoy both.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Last week, Mark Hammill appeared at Disney World's Star Wars Weekends and was interviewed by James Arnold Taylor (the voice of Obi-Wan and Plo Koon on the Clone Wars TV series). It's 45 minutes long, but worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFiEAh2Q8I8

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Calax posted:

Best part is The Joker telling Luke "I'm your daddy!"

That's not true! That's impossible!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm glad that the sequel movies are being made, but I'm sad that this panel is no longer canon:

(Context - though I don't think you need it to enjoy this panel.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The only plausible answer is the one Palpatine himself gives in The Phantom Menace:

quote:

I must be Frank, Your Majesty.

EDIT: The latest episode featured Star Tours and Captain Rex! I loved that ride at Disney World!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Tours_(real-world)

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
One of my favorite things about the Mandalorian books is how many of Traviss' manly Mando men get paired off with strong, caring brides. I think it was a goon who posited that it would have been more impactful if she had emphasized that the clones were treated as disposable lust objects by rich Republic women - kind of like how Roman women loved hooking up with gladiators, or *Hunger Games spoiler* how President Snow pimps out Hunger Games champions to his Capitol allies - but nope, all these dudes get the same happy ending. I dunno if the goon's idea would have been a good one, but I do agree it would have been better if Traviss hadn't handed out brides like prizes to most of her heroes.

EDIT: Ahah I have found it.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 9, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Metal Loaf posted:

I think she also had that blog post where she bragged about standing up and applauding in the theatre during the Order 66 sequence when she went to see ROTS, then accused her detractors of "Nazi-think".

I remember she also loved the Robot Chicken sketch where Boba Fett gleefully slaughters a defenseless Ewok village:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_J425eo3Q

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You just think that because you're a Talifan.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

pengun101 posted:

this. My favorite is the one about the young imperial Lt who is stationed on this backwater shithole of planet. Basicaly through higher ups incompetence they are attacked by the locals and it turns into loving vietnam/ww1 battles, its also pretty gory for a star wars comic if i remember. To bad they ruin the Lt in later issues.

It is actually based on the Anglo-Zulu War and its film depictions.

Speaking of historical war movies influencing Star Wars, The Battle of Hoth is based on the Battle of the Ice as portrayed in Sergei Eisenstein's 1938 film Alexander Nevsky. The movie is a Stalinist parable featuring peasant foot-soldiers led by secular hero of the peopleOrthodox Christian Prince Alexander of Novgorod defeating German NazisEstonian Teutonic knights in a battle on a frozen lake. It is a pro-watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZPgGbUuX0

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Remember the Galaxy of Fear series? It was like Goosebumps, but in Star Wars! :downs:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I can't stop smiling, my face hurts

Please send help

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
KotOR II finally got an official patch AND now runs on Mac and Linux. I never dreamed it would happen!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208580/announcements/detail/145589580847766181

It's $7.49 on Steam until July 28, so hurry up and get it!

I got it for Mac off the App Store, and it was fun right up until it crashed as I left Citadel Station. :smith: I hope they fix it soon! :unsmith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What kind of hillbilly planet elects a 14 year old as ruler?

quote:

Naboo politics often involved large numbers of teenaged Naboo in government work, a result of the Naboo ideal of valuing inner purity and innocence over political ability. This often resulted in individuals receiving positions far beyond their own level of competence and being left vulnerable to manipulation, such as the case of Queen Amidala and Senator Palpatine.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Naboo_(people)

:doh:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gammatron 64 posted:

the Ewoks aren't that bad

Agreed. To my mind they're basically little monsters, more creepy than cute. Don't forget they were going to eat our heroes before C-3PO told them not to, and they only agreed because they thought 3PO was their god. I think this is how we should view them:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, before ROTS came out, a lot of materials tried to pass off Palpatine and Sidious as separate characters. I'm pretty sure the 2nd edition of the Essential Guide to Characters even had 2 separate entries for Palpatine and Darth Sidious. I saw that and I was like "come on... you guys aren't fooling anyone." Ever since TPM came out in '99, it was obvious that Sidious and Palpatine were the same guy. They were played by the same actor and Darth Sidious even dressed like Palpatine did in the OT.

The kids from Drew McWeeny's Film Nerd 2.0 series watched the Star Wars films in Machete order (including TPM) and did not realize who Darth Sidious was until the middle of RotS:

Drew McWeeny, Attack of the Clones review posted:

One of the questions that is driving them both crazy concerns the identity of Darth Sidious. They know he's the Emperor, but they are also sure that he's someone else in the movies, and they can't figure out who it might be. I'm amazed that the "secret" works for them, because when I look at Sidious in the final scene of the film, it's pretty clear to me that it's McDiarmid under the cowl. The boys haven't figured it out, though, and when we went through all the possible suspects after the film and I brought up Senator Palpatine, they didn't even blink. He's just that "nice old guy" who helps Anakin in this one, and they've got no clue he might be connected in some way.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-yoda-seals-the-deal-for-attack-of-the-clones-on-blu-ray

Drew McWeeny, Revenge of the Sith review posted:

One of the many questions that Toshi and Allen asked me right after we watched "Attack Of The Clones" last week was about the identity of Darth Sidious. I told them that he was in the movies without his face covered up, but they didn't know who it was. And they were shocked at the mere suggestion. Toshi hasn't puzzled it out, and as much as I can't imagine not knowing, they don't know. They have no idea what's coming in this movie we're about to watch, and I realize that it's going to be a genuine jolt when it happens.

When Palpatine reveals himself to be a Sith Lord, Toshi called a time out. He proceeded to stand and march back and forth in front of me, laying out this CRAZY THEORY that he had that JUST MAYBE this nice old man might actually be DARTH FREAKIN' SIDIOUS. He was like Clarence Darrow. He was flipping out that this old guy who has always seemed so sweet and good-hearted is actually PRETTY MUCH THE BIGGEST BAD GUY IN THE HISTORY OF BAD GUYS.

Allen didn't get it until Toshi explained it, but once he did, Allen yelled, outraged all of a sudden, "THAT NICE OLD MAN IS REALLY KIND OF BAD!"

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-revenge-of-the-sith-devastates-the-kids-as-anakin-falls-from-grace

Film Nerd 2.0's Star Wars series is a good read if you're interested in children's perspectives on the film saga. Five-year-old Toshi and three-year-old Allen go on an emotional roller coaster and their dad brings you along for the ride.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I mean if you're a kid or you don't really care about Star Wars movies and haven't been paying attention, then yeah, Palpatine being the spooky mysterious guy in the robes might come as a shocker.

In the unlikely event I ever have kids, it would be fun to see their reactions to the big "twists" of the Star Wars series. There's plenty of youtube videos of kids going "WHAT?!" when Vader tells Luke he's his father. I would be a good dad though and show them 4-5-6 then 1-2-3, though.

Naw, Ernst Rister order - IV, V, I, II, III, VI - is the way to go with kids. At the end of ESB kids will likely be wondering how Luke's father turned into such a bad guy - if they're very young, the notion of a good guy becoming bad will be intensely confusing, but even older children who are capable of appreciating moral nuance will probably be curious about Anakin's fall. The prequels basically serve as an extended flashback that answers that major question before returning to Luke's story in RotJ. Besides, if you finish RotJ before going into the prequels, Hayden Christensen's appearance at the end is just confusing, not rewarding. Machete order (dropping Episode I) would work well for older kids or adults, but young kids tend to be completionists and TPM contains some exciting moments (i.e. the pod-race, Darth Maul) that they won't want to miss.

More on Ernst Rister and Machete order

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right. In the OT, you've got Luke, who's mostly self-taught with a lightsabre; Obi-Wan, who's an old man now; and Darth Vader, who's basically a walking iron lung. So if you're looking for an in-universe justification, of course they're not going to be able to do all the whirly-twirly stuff - I think the most acrobatics you get in the OT is when Luke somersaults over Vader's head in the carbon freezing chamber on Cloud City.

Of course, the real reason, according to Mark Hamill, is that the lightsabre props in the OT were like "the sword Excalibur" and they were just way too heavy to do anything elaborate. :D

IIRC Hamill said the prop lightsabers were light and that he suggested one-handing them, but it was Lucas who insisted that the lightsabers were Excalibur-heavy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

i can't stop smiling again

my face hurts

please send help

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Chomposaur posted:

Having not read Derkholm, the one big conceptual difference seems to be that in Heroes Die, the fantasy world doesn't know that Earth exists. Big corps surreptitiously send "actors" in to have violent adventures and then stream them back for viewers at home.

In fact, the fantasy people believe that the actors are demons sent to gently caress with innocent people before vanishing without a trace, and the antagonist in the first book is a ruler leading a witch hunt against these evil aktiri.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can meet Darth Vader and Chewbacca at Disneyland right now. They both talk, too - of course Chewbacca speaks Wookiee, while Vader communicates through a set of stock phrases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7jdDnCGbeg

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, the legit best bit is when the one Death Watch spy is in a stand-off with Obi-Wan where he has Satine as a prisoner, and he's all, "You can kill me, Jedi, but you will betray everything your beloved duchess stands for!" and then Anakin comes up behind him and stabs him through the back while they play the Imperial March in the background.

That's my favorite part too. Satine and Obi-Wan are shocked by this turn of events, and Anakin is all "What? What'd I miss?" :allears:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto put up Force Awakens folding screens a few days ago. Also the Governor of Kyoto (far right) is clearly a Sith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

yronic heroism posted:

I know people have repressed TPM but prequel Anakin obvi.

What do you mean "prequel?" George only made 4-6, he never got around to the prequel movies.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're the SJW here, going all "rape is a bad thing to do." NuGBS would tear you apart.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Bhutan is getting its own children's parliament:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/01/bhutan-children-parliament-160106134410027.html

Can a Naboo-style children's oligarchy be far behind?

Yes, it can. The children's parliament will have no direct effect on Bhutanese government policy, it's just a civics education program.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
AND FURTHERMORE sound can't travel through outer space because

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
SirPhoebos, have you ever felt the heat of an open flame or a lightbulb or an oven on your skin? Have you noticed how you feel pain even if you're not actually touching the heat source? I think it's fair to say that convection is a part of everybody's life experience. If so, then it should bother you whenever someone turns on a lightsaber. If a lightsaber blade is hot enough to cut through solid metal, it should be hot enough to give people standing close to it convection burns. But Star Wars characters use lightsabers all the time without ever suffering any ill effects! As long as the blade doesn't touch someone's skin, nobody gets hurt, or even seems to experience discomfort that isn't caused by something else in the scene (e.g. the stress of having to fight for one's life). How does such an obvious contradiction of human experience not throw you out of the story?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here is a man with his face and hands inches away from molten steel. He is suffering no discomfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Are there any nucanon books/comics that don't play it safe as bad or inconsequential stories?