Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:neckbeard: Yay! New thread!

Maybe add something in there about prequel hate and more about who was responsible for the best parts of the original trilogy (hint, mostly everyone besides Jorge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

deadhoarse posted:

Ack, my celebration post got buried in the last thread... I'd come out to Grotto's tonight, but we're doing the last tour to Endor tonight (for those that don't know, they're retiring Star Tours and replacing it with a more PT-ey version.

Yes, so sad to see it go. I need that "Thrawn shedding a tear over the Imperial flag" emote someone cooked up in the last thread.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

elf pr0n posted:

So if I was getting back into the entire Star Wars EU/Jedi Academy/whatever else what books should I read? The only Star Wars book I read was Shadows of the Empire (lol) and I really want to read me some Star Wars books!

First of all, I liked Shadows of the Empire! :colbert:

Secondly, anything by Timothy Zahn (I so want his autograph at Dragon*Con), but start with the Heir to the Empire trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command).

The "Tales from..." books are pretty entertaining looks into secondary/minor characters. I enjoyed them all, but particularly Tales from Jabba's Palace.

I'm sure others have good recommendations, but I'll just throw in the Revenge of the Sith novelization as well.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

arioch posted:

KOTOR and 2 are also piles of crap.

Okay, you may have not liked them, but that's a harsh accusation to throw at two of the better Star Wars games out there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fnoigy posted:

Ok, really stupid question here, but why, exactly, does everybody hate The Galactic Empire? I mean, yea, it's ruled by the Sith lord and his apprentice, but nobody in the movies ever really say what the Empire does that really is so bad, other than taking extreme measures to pacify a violent rebellious uprising, but what ELSE do they do that everybody hates? What made the Rebellion start other than the fact that it was an empire rather than a republic?

:siren:BLEW UP A loving PLANET!:siren:

I mean, I love Thrawn as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend everything was sunshine and peaches under Palpatine.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

(At the risk of pimping my own thread, any chance the link can be added to the OP?)

If we're talking about thread pimping, can my Let's Play of Knights of the Old Republic be added there as well? Every time it comes up in the thread I feel like chiming in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pretend Squirrel posted:

I also enjoyed Legacy of the Force.

:ssh: I did too. Well, parts of it. But don't spread it around.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Adrianne Curry from "America's Next Top Model" was sexually assaulted by a drunk guy at Celebration. Are there any goons at Celebration who know anything about this?

http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/16/adrianne-curry-americas-next-top-model-arrest-molest-orlando-star-wars-convention/

I saw her at the afterparty I went to, she was there in a slave Leia outfit. A bunch of my friends got their picture taken with her, but I didn't. We left before the sexual assault part happened though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DougieC posted:

But do they have poo tubes?

I'm sure a friendly stroll to Wookieepedia will clarify this issue...

God drat it, Star Wars

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That method is how I came up with my character's name in KOTOR.

Kasda Erlce.

Ercle. (Pronounced "Urkel" in my mind)

*Star Forge blows up*

Kasda: :iamafag: "Did I do thaaaaaat?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bene Elim posted:

At least you didn't do that cheesy thing and name your character 'Darth Kickass'

BRB, replaying all the way through my LP again

Also, for the record, that Robot-Leia laser eyes pic is the funniest drat thing in all of Star Wars EU.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

So I'm curiuos what everyone's thoughts are on Thrawn (in my opinion, the only real amazing EU character)? Is he to be considered an evil dude since he is with the Empire, or was he similar to Robert E Lee where he was a good guy who fought for his home cause?

My memory on the books is hazy, but beyond the Nogri enslavement (which is pretty bad) I don't remember many bad things about the guy.

Well, he inherited that Noghri slavery thing from Vader. It's kind of like the two wars with Obama, I can't really blame him for them.

Thrawn does kill an underling at one point for making a mistake, a la Vader. But another time he forgives one and promotes him for at least trying to fix the problem. So, I don't know. I think living under Emperor Thrawn wouldn't have been too bad overall.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Didn't Thrawn kill the guy because he screwed up and then blamed it on his lack of training?

Yup. And then he promoted a guy who froze up his tractor beam computer by trying a risky fix around some tactic Luke was doing to break free. And everyone respected him a lot more for the promotion thing.

Just pointing out that for how much of a "stand up" guy he is, all classy with his art, he's still evil enough to just order the murder of a subordinate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

T-1000 posted:

The confederacy inherited slavery from their parents. Doesn't change the fact that they're owning people. And the whole if-you-speak-your-mind they shoot you and your family. Other than that not too bad.

But imagine Vader coming up to you like "Hey, I got this race of super loyal assassins who actually love serving us. You want in, or should I just let them go free?"

Hard to pass that up, regardless of moral viewpoints.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

T-1000 posted:

I don't exactly follow. If Vader were coming up to you saying "Hey, I got this spare coupon for a lifetime supply of fresh bananas. You want it, or should I just throw it away?" then moral viewpoints wouldn't exactly come into it because bananas are delicious and have no rights and these ones are certified organic and fairtrade and Vader won the coupon in a competition fair and square.
Passing up ownership of people, some moral viewpoints might find that easier than others. These moral viewpoints are limited to people who aren't complete monsters.

Two things. 1 - you misquoted the second quote there, I didn't say that.

And 2 -

To these people, it isn't viewed as slavery, but fair trade. They are actually happy to serve the Empire (or were until Leia exposed the con for what it was). So as an Imperial Officer who needs a super awesome assassin squad (or twenty), I'm saying he's really not in a place to argue moralilty over the decision. Does this make him extra evil or something? I think it just makes him pragmatic.

(I'm not trying to get all Mad Hamish up in here, just having a fun little argument about Star Wars morality :circlefap:)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister_Eel posted:

I wonder what Han Solo was doing in Mos Eisley anyways when Obi-wan and Luke needed a transport. It seems like it wasn't very prudent to be on the same planet as Jabba. Was Jabba even on tatooine at that time or did he move his base there at the time of ROTJ?

Clearly he's a big fan of the Cantina Band. That, or there's some long-winded EU explanation for how they ended up there (short answer, Starkiller made him).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

While I never did it myself, it's funny how in SWG it was possible to play as a "female" and take massive advantage of people more so than in any other game. "Female" dancers made a loving killing if they played it right.

I did this. Playing a Twi'lek female dancer got me:

- Tipped 10,000 credits (back when that meant something)
- Given a full set of one of the best armors in the game
- Got given a free "skimpy outfit" costume that would go on to get me many more credits

God, Star Wars nerds are lonely and horny. I only felt a little ashamed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How could you even think to support Thrawn unironically? :psyduck:

He's a grand admiral for the EMPIRE. The EMPIRE

If Thrawn was real and campaigned under the banner that thrawn527 has in his avatar, I think he could at least win a primary, if not the whole election. The right would love him for his military experience, and the left would love him for his appreciation of the arts.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DougieC posted:

I cam across this site which details all the different tropes (storytelling devices) used within literature and other media...

NO! Run, you fool, RUN!!!!

DougieC posted:

The list of devices is huge by the way, and I really enjoyed reading it.

And so TV Tropes has claimed another innocent life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

Those books drove me quite insane.

The non-Kuat stuff was pretty good. I don't get all the hate, then again, when I read them, I just skimmed over everything Kuat-related.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

From the Dragon*Con thread -

Dragon*Con thread posted:

Adult Themes in SW
Not for the kids! LGBTQ, Sex, Slave Leia, Murder of Younglings, Prostitution, Death Stix, etc... it’s all here. But what else is missing? 18+ A. Allston, T. Zahn; Sun 10:00 pm; Hanover C-E [H]

Now, I am GOING to this panel. Come hell or high water. Any requests for questions for me to ask?

I'm already planning on asking if in their opinion, did Jabba rape Leia?

Also, I so want to get Zahn's autograph on a novel. That would be amazing. Any people in this thread going to Dragon*Con?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

arioch posted:

It's worse than that ... in Shadows of the Empire his deal was that he could use the Dark Side to help revitalize his organs and tissue so that he could breathe without the mask, then he gets happy about it and then loses his hold on the Dark Side.

I actually kind of liked this idea. It's basically that The Force can heal you, and he was just accessing The Force by his anger. But the joy from being healed makes his anger fade. It brought up a lot of interesting questions to me about The Force, and about Darth Vader's character.

He can never be fully healed because it would remove the source of his hatred which fuels his Force powers. It's like poetry. IT RHYMES!!

In short, Shadows of the Empire is a good novel and anyone who hates it is mean. :colbert:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

(isn't there an empire version of :911:?)

There's an emoticon of Thrawn shedding a tear in front of the Imperial logo, it's not an official one, but I know I saw it in the last version of the thread.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's Traviss's glorious honorable Mando'a for you.

If anything, I think it's kind of a Take That at Traviss to kind of rework Mandos into brutal killing machines (read: monsters) and not just super awesome commandos. I kind of like it.

I feel like "I kind of like this crappy EU thing" is becoming my motto in this thread.

Also, at Dragon*Con, I went to a Star Wars author panel with Zahn, Stackpole, and KJA. It was AWESOME, and I totally snagged Zahn's autograph. :smug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess, but they're still being treated as uber-powerful fanwank super-troopers who can hold their own against Jedi.

Really? I'm only halfway through Allies but in the initial raid, not a single Jedi was killed and many Mandos were. Maybe it gets worse later on, but I kind of like the dialing back they got in this novel.

I'm liking Fate of the Jedi way way more than Legacy of the Force. Ben alone makes me keep reading, and his and Luke's relationship is written really well.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Throb Robinson posted:

I keep wanting to take a risk and read FoTJ, But I'm like a Girlfriend on the Lifetime channel. Been hit too many times and scared to go back to my abusive Boyfriend.

So far, the good outweighs the bad. But I will admit that the bad is pretty bad.

I'll post pictures of that Dragon*Con panel when I get home, in case anyone is interested. It was weird putting faces to authors (I didn't bother to look up their photos beforehand for maximum shock value.)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did you ask any questions to the authors?

I did. I wanted to ask a ton, but plenty of other people had questions to ask. The question I asked was for Zahn, and it was regarding his feelings about Mara's death.

He basically said that she was a great character who still had plenty of use in her, and that Star Wars isn't really the kind of universe where you kill off people just to "up the drama." Basically, he was pissed that she was killed off and without his consent, which I what I expected to hear, but it was really cool hearing it from him firsthand.

I also asked him when I was getting his autograph (1 more :smug: for seasoning) if Lucasfilm ever told him to not touch on certain topics because they were planning for movies 7, 8, and 9. He said no, they never told him anything like that.

I have more Star Wars panel stories if the thread feels so inclined.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You would think that they would need to get Zhan's consent to do poo poo like that. He is solely responsible for the resurgence of Star Wars in the early 90s. I would think he holds some sway at Lucasbooks.

It's more than that, he INVENTED the EU in essence. And it wasn't so much Lucasfilm that made that decision, it was when the license passed from Bantem to Del Rey Books, that Del Rey basically said "gently caress all the old authors, we're doing whatever we want with your poo poo!"

I'll post another story or two later, but basically, the other panel I went to was "Adult Themes in Star Wars." Extrapolate from there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I, for one, would love to hear as many stories as you feel like posting, on either of the threads you went to. The Zahn, Stackpole, Anderson to hear there thoughts on the EU, and the other one out of morbid curiosity about what they could have possible had to talk about.

Well who am I to deny a Grand Admiral? I would have poster earlier, but my cable modem died and I just replaced it.

The author panel was pretty sweet, and the highlight of the con for me. Zahn, Stackpole and KJA were all very interesting with their stories. They talked about getting into writing Star Wars, their thoughts on the prequels, discussed the characters they had created (apparently Anderson had no input into Daala's first name), etc.

The "Adult Themes in Star Wars" was basically everyone taking Star Wars stuff and making it raunchy. Examples - Ewok blowjobs, slash fic discussions, using Force Powers during sex, you get the idea. It was actually pretty funny for the most part, and Aaron Allston was there on the panel along with the two hosts. He didn't chime in a ton, but when he did, it was usually to crack a good joke. It was immature and kind of awkward at times, but I laughed a lot as did everyone else.

Here is a pic of the author panel. From left to right we have Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta and A.C. Crispin.

Edit:

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, WampaLord, how did KJA seem while being on that panel with the two far superior authors?

He was totally fine, I think they all were friends basically because they told several stories of collaborating with certain character and ideas and working together to keep the continuity of each other's novels. For example, Stackpole talked about having to manage Corran Horn with the Jedi Academy series and how he worked with Anderson on finding ways to make it fit. So it's not like Anderson seemed jealous or hateful of them in any way.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 8, 2010

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not A Bear posted:

I didn't realise that A.C Crispin was a woman :ohdear:

She should write some more Star Wars books already, the Han Solo trilogy was really good, maybe uh some more Lando books?

She actually just finished a prequel book to Pirates of the Caribbean, detailing Jack Sparrow's past. It comes out the same week as the new movie with him sometime in 2011, though she stressed that they are NOT RELATED in any way in terms of plot and whatnot.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You should have asked them their opinion on Traviss.

I didn't want to get the evil eye:

from 5 people at once

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DougieC posted:

This sounds doubly creepy by virtue of KJA being sat next to his wife.
The kinky roleplay they no doubt indulge in is not a pretty image.

No, at the adult themes panel it was just Allston and two fans hosting. Zahn was supposed to be there, but his voice gave out :(

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

What the gently caress is "Her Universe"?

Some Star Wars clothing line for women that was a sponsor for all the Star Wars panels.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I downloaded the TFU demo and right at the beginning I accidentally threw my lightsaber and chopped the head off of an R2 unit. It shrieked. Killed my enthusiasm along with that poor little droid.

That would SELL me on the game. Your priorities are out of order. Do you also find the murder of Jawas and Ewoks to be horrific instead of awesome?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How? There are massive threads on many forums all focusing around the specific way to install the game and additional thing you must download to make it work in Windows 7. And even then it can still gently caress up. For example: My game crashes during each cut scene unless I go to the desktop and back right at the start of them.

Chiming in to say that during my Let's Play of KOTOR (another opportunity to pimp my own thread, yes!) I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 with no issues for the Steam version of KOTOR.

I did try some weird registry thing to make it use both cores instead of just one, but that made it crash a lot, so I just un-did the change.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bonzo posted:

I always thought that Josh Holloway, Sawyer on LOST, would make a perfect Han Solo.

You know who would make a perfect Han Solo?

HARRISON loving FORD! BECAUSE HE IS! :argh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also Obi Wan aged horribly.

Tatooine will do that to ya. Dry, sandy planet isn't good for the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So has the EU had Anakin race any pods after Episode I?

He did some sort of garbage-chute-paragliding race thing in one of the novels set in between the prequels. I forget what the title was though.

It was pretty dumb.