Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I love a new Star Wars thread. The only thing the OP is missing is the History of the EU.jpg series.

Current EU.jpg
Maulkiller, The Clone mix of Darth Maul and Starkiller.

Also the thread title is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes, because a gamestop preorder skin is indicative of the entire EU.

Its not far off these days.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

AcridWhistle posted:

According to wookieepedia he isn't force sensitive at all.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Solo

Yet.

quote:

Then I get sad because I remember there was a character named Luuke Skywalker.

Luuke gets alot of poo poo in this thread but its not like Zahn just poofed him into the story. There was alot of clone set up in the prior two books. History, Tech and all the exposition to make it ok in my mind. On top of that he is only around for like 4 chapters before he kicks the bucket. I thought that Luke being really unnerved by the fact someone cloned him was wicked.

If someone cloned Luke these days it would have a million copies and each one would be a Skykiller mix.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I dig the poo poo out of Jedi knight games mostly cause they look like they belong in OT Star Wars. From Kyle's clothes to the ships, ect ect. Now Star Wars games and such look like they pinch too much from whatever is popular ATM. BSG, Mass Effect ect ect.

Futuristic 1970's 4 lyfe.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

hunkofsoup posted:

That being said, yesterday I received a package in the mail containing this:

I can't wait to start reading. Zahn's bad habits as a writer bugged me less and less as I got into the books, and I hope I can gloss over Stackpole's flaws just as easily.

Lucky guy. A first read of X-wing is a magical thing/

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I have no real hate for Kotor the game itself. I thought it was a rehash((In a good way)) of the elements and such of the OT.

My ire for Kotor comes from all my other nerdy friends who are like "This is the real Star Wars." Makes me never want to play TOR and such cause I have been told that the GCW and all that is the old boring poo poo.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I love EU.jpg

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Azzmo and me are having a hivemind about star wars

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

And Vader Googling Luke. Thats the best scene in the book.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Fnoigy posted:

Everything I've ever heard about the EU makes it seem like an enormous clusterfuck.

Pretty much. Especially now that George has figured out the the Clone wars = $$$. I think we have like three separate versions of how the Clone wars happened. I think the Dark Horse stories put out are gone due to the show and I would think the old Clone wars show is gone now too due to the TV show.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Fnoigy posted:

How is the Clone Wars more $$$ than the original trilogy? The originals have been pushing merchandise of all kinds since their debut. I couldn't even tell you how much all the toys I got during my childhood costed. If there's really any difference I've noticed, it's that the Clone Wars seems to be getting TV shows, whereas I don't know if the original movies got that much. I guess that IS a big deal.

Also, when you talk about "the show", I'm not sure which you're talking about. The only ones I'm aware of was the Tartakovski mini-series, and then the CG one based on his style.

New markets, Why just sell OT stuff when you can sell Clone wars toys too. I don't agree but Someone over at Lucasfilm thinks that Star Wars has to stay "fresh" and Modern for kids to want to own the toys that go along with it. All the new stuff at Celebration V was about the Clone wars show or the Old Republic, The OT stuff isn't even brought up anymore.

And the new show is a Show on Cartoon network about Anakin and his student based between attack of the clones and revenge of the sith.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I'll look for it when I get home but I remember reading something where someone(I know super vague) ranted about how when the OT came out the Toys were a by product of the Movies but these days the Movies are a product to introduce more toys onto the market people want.

EDIT: I buy into that theory well when I see stuff like Starkiller, Darth Maul's brother and all the "Cool" looking toys that show up on shelves when I pass by.

VVVV Thats probably it.

Throb Robinson fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 16, 2010

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I'm a big Corellian nerd like other people are Mando nerds. So Those bits on Corellia in LoTF were awesome. As for Traviss, I have no problem with her first book cause like Ive said its a standard Star Wars Story with a miltary gloss. Awesome. Untested new friends, huge enemy and a super weapon that will kill everyone if they don't stop it.

My problem with Traviss doesn't even have anything to do with how she acts outside of writing. Its her other books. They are all the same book. Her gears of war books are almost plot for plot the same as the republic commando books. There is a wise old solider dad type who molds the younger new generation. You have to see the books themselves to see what I'm saying but Its crazy.

On top of that all her work is needlessly Nihilistic, In her own work thats fine but in the Clone Wars book she was paid to write and in the Halo short story she wrote she made is stupidly depressing and overtly saying everything sucks.

And my last bitch is how she changes the Dialog in things to suit her "Make things horrible" Mindset. In the Halo short story she wrote she took a scene from Halo 3 and twisted the dialog to make a happy moment where the main guy saves the computer lady. She twisted it around to make it seem like the main guy only came to save her cause he needed her like a tool, that he considers it dirty he had to come get this thing.

:goonsay:

EDIT:

Pretend Squirrel posted:

As far as the Legacy of the Force, (and I suspect you goons have beaten it to death in the old thread) what was so awful about it? It certainly wasn't the best Star Wars writing, but it's far from the worst.

The Creepy terrorism worship was what pushed LoTF into the poo poo range for me. That combined with Mara getting the shittiest death ever after sitting on her hands for like 6 books. The way it took itself so seriously also pushed it into the worst that the EU has to offer. I would rather read the glove of vader books cause at least those are fun to laugh at.

DOUBLE EDIT:

This gem hasn't been posted in ages. Scroll down til you see a poster named Yodakenobi, This is fantastic review of sacrifice. I still laugh hard when I give it a reread now and then.

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/28128642/p5

Throb Robinson fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 17, 2010

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Pretend Squirrel posted:

And speaking of The Old Republic, here's the "Hope" trailer for anyone that hasn't seen it. This looks promising, guys.

Lol no thats not promise. Thats everything thats wrong with the EU currently squeezed into one pretty movie. DBZ Jedi Check. Clone looking solider who looks like he belongs in Mass Effect Check. "Badass" sith lord who kills everything he sees, check. One upping the GCW check. And on and on and on.

They should have done Knights of the New Republic or something. Then at least they can get away with looking more modern then the OT. Set it 4000 years after the GCW and it makes sense in my mind.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

McKco Demar

I get the feeling I'm one of those three eyed Gran who gets a spergy story on wookieepedia that does nothing of note.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Is Wes sure thats a female bothan?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

In interesting news, The KOTOR MMO pretty much is planning Jump To Lightspeed-esqe Space Combat with the MMO now. Interesting.

Nope, Its worse. Its Star Fox 64! I love me some Star Fox But I think dogfighting more than a rail shooter when I think Star Wars.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat

SeanBeansShako posted:

SWG regret number two: Not grinding enough to fly around in an A-Wing.

Not worth it cause you could never build a good loadout.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Biplane posted:

That TOR space combat stuff isn't exactly TIE Fighter, but drat it looks very Star Warsy.

I don't think so. It all looks like that scene from AoTC where Jango is chasing Obi-wan. When I think Star Wars space I think that empty black from Return of the Jedi or New hope.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Off topic.

I can't get over the fact this picture is canon. Satyrs and spears and arrows. Add this to EU.jpg please.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I thought the beginning of lord of the rings was sweet too.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Oh, okay! I mean poo poo! Darth Vader just hit Obi Wan once and he disappeared! Totally lame. And man, all those space fighters just shooting around everywhere!

O U :allears:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Simon Draskovic posted:

That being said, are there any Force-users in the EU who manage to have Yoda or Palpatine-type levels of understanding of the Force, and are able to hold themselves apart in a similar fashion? The only one that immediately comes to mind might be Kreia from KOTOR II.

I will take every chance I can get to pimp Luke Skywalker and the shadows of Mindor. The Force philosophy in there while Eventually wrong is so killer and well done that you buy it when your reading.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Barudak posted:

Do you mind spoiling this? I went on Wookiepedia to find more but they don't even have a summary that gives me the scantest bit of info on what you're talking about.

The baddie in the book teaches Luke how there is no Light and Dark Side. Only a Dark Side with no light side at all. Its really depressing and talks about how entropy is the only constant of life. The kicker of it all is at the end Luke figures out how there is a Light and Dark side in the philosophy the Baddie spouts. Those few pages about the light side are one of the best the EU has to offer.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Its pretty much as it sounds. Mara Jade walks into a place that in my mind looks like a college computer lab late at night to find Vader on the computer googling Luke in the Imperial database. Vader flips his poo poo when he sees her looking over his shoulder and starts ranting. Its great.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Mister_Eel posted:

Now I "psh" at just about everything not related to the OT or Thrawn.

I fail to see an issue.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Don't forget how the bad guy, in true mustache twirling fashion, tries to Force-possess Leia only to find out that she is way more of a unbreakable than even Luke is.

If your going to mention the Mustache twirling you have to mention the fact that the dude is being a Stereotypical evil villain on purpose. The baddie is very self aware of the fact he is playing the role of the bad guy to Luke and Company.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

AcridWhistle posted:

How many ways are there to defeat a lightsaber now? In the OT trilogy weren't they pretty much only countered by another lightsaber? Then again the some of the original artwork showed stormtroopers carrying shields but that was when they had lightsabers also.

MANDALORIAN Iron

Telekinesis, apparently

Sith Alchemy

Phrik, which General Grievous's magnaguards staffs were made out of

Cortosis which when pure kills whoever touches it (so wear layers) - Hilariously this shorts out the lightsaber, shutting it down for a while

Force Weapons - just imbue that spork with the force, it is magic

Darkswords

Edit: According to wookieepedia the ideal range for a Blaster rifle is between 30 and 60 meters.

poo poo like this is why I hate the EU. Instead of coming up with something clever to try and kill luke and company with we will use super secret rare poo poo that only ever shows up once.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

If I remember its cause a blaster takes like pennies per shot while a Gun costs like 20$ a shot.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Hey! Hey!

Marvel Star Wars is Awesome. :colbert:

Only sperglords can't find Marvel comics fun cause they don't fit into Canon.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I'm not too excited about the live action show cause I remember seeing George or Rick talking about how they could have several live action Star Wars shows on the go at once and how cheaply they could do it too.

I'm not big on throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

The old school DW had characters and stories I gave a poo poo about though. I can put up with seeing a man in a rubber suit cause it was done awesomely. I think compelling stories and characters in a live action Star Wars are something that will be missing.

I'm pretty sure if it ever does come to light the show will be more like BSG. A "Dark Edgy" Star Wars for adults. That would blow big time. If anything it should be a adventure serial like SG-1. Nothing ever too heavy.

EDIT: With my undying shame I will admit that I played the Ewok love festival poo poo. You get the flying pink ewok as a pet that follows you around.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Did it try to eat any chicks you scored with?

This reminds me of the grand SWG Tradition of looking for people AFK to macro hump until they return.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I have a folder of like 3000 shots from that game. Its terrible like half of them are of me running around face raping people sitting down or scoring for minerals. I do have some badass Star Wars shots though that make me forget all the bad poo poo that go along with that game.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Got any requests? I'll dig in thru all my shots see what I can find. Sadly that game can only really be enjoyed these days heavily modded on the client side. Re-textures and such. Someone went out of their way to make Tatooine look really like Tatooine and not Arizona. They even gave Tatooine two suns.

Thats right, Regular Swg only has one sun for tatooine.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

When I get home from work I'll dig up a few. I know I have this great shot of a woman running around without a face just two big eyeballs.

As for the 100 foot tall guys SWG had the best DMs who would run around spawning level 500 Vaders to kill everyone or making people stupidly huge.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Spergy question of my own.

Is there some horrible In universe answer as to why Han doesn't know what a Jedi is in a New Hope now?

I understand that originally when there were only 2 Jedi left about it sorta made sense and you got the feeling what Happened to the Jedi happened alot longer then 18 years ago. But now that the prequels came out and made Jedi all over the space TV and a major part of everything it just makes Han look like a Space redneck who revels in ignorance.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Darth Krayt maybe the worst villian concept Ive ever heard of. That being said SWG Bug time.

First off when they tossed new Ships in the game they came into the game horrible textured. The first fix for that turned the insides of the ships into Easter egg creamscicles.

Sometimes I would walk clear out of game and thru the walls of buildings.

Sometimes DM's would wander by and make things huge for no reason at all.

Having particle objects in space will turn your screen into a rave.

And if you load up swg never ever ever Log out in Space or you get stuck there til SWG's super slow customer service comes and removes you.

That being said I have a bunch of Shots I think are OT Star Warsy as poo poo but I don't want to throw them up unless people are interested. Here are a few teaser screens.

"Stay on Target!"

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

Didn't SOE fling hundreds of players into space one time for questioning them?

Not sure but I remember once that SOE once ported any reported credit farmers into the Nightsister instance.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Personally I don't blame SOE for loving up SWG. I think its Lucasarts or Lucas Ltm Or whatever SOE deals with. I mean SOE can run a MMO, The first everquest is still getting a new Expansion and still continues to have a huge crowd playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Loopyface posted:

Why didn't Luke or Leia ever ask Ghost Obi-Wan who their mother was?

Cause until It was official in revenge of the sith Luke and Leia could give less then a poo poo who their mom was.