Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Destiny's Way was the epitome of what I found wrong with the NJO.

This takes place immediately after Traitor. I expect Jacen to come back more confident and assured of himself and his role and ready to kick rear end. Instead he does an immediate 180 and goes back to his previous whiny, wishy-washy self.

And after all the build-up between Jacen and the warmaster, you'd expect there to be a finale showdown between the two. Instead you have Jaina getting into a clumsy fight with him.

Also Williams writes about how the NR was finally getting its war machine going, and after spending all this time getting its butt kicked was now ready to start pushing back. That concept was immediately dropped when a later writer decided they needed to emphasis that everything was in a stalemate.

That being said, I did enjoy the writing in the book more than most of the other books in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

deadguy posted:

Having Threepio in The Phantom Menace was pretty charming, I thought. It wasn't the Prequels use of existing characters that bugged me, it was the overuse. Give Threepio and Artoo a scene, let them fade into the background. Same for the Fett guys.

That's what they did with Chewie and people still complained.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NGL posted:

That's because the prequels have to be 100% consistent with the OT without actually featuring any characters from it. :rolleyes:

I honestly didn't have a problem with Artoo and Threepio appearing in the PT. How they were executed, however, was pretty bad. If Anakin had to build one, it would've made sense to have it be Artoo. And, of course, Threepio would be Padme's protocol droid.

Yeah, if Artoo was built by Anakin then you would be able to explain away all the crazy poo poo that he does which normal droids can't. Instead he's a assembly line made droid who has super powers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mecha Gojira posted:

From the explanation I've heard, the Millenium Falcon was "limping" from Hoth to Bespin at relativistic speeds, so traveling at a large fraction of the speed of light. Of course, as you approach the speed of light, time around you slows down. So while it may have seemed like months for Luke and Yoda, it may have only seemed like days for Han & Co.

Then again, that's the super-nerd answer, so whatever.

Woah now, physics? In my Star Wars?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

Owen must be a popular name for the late Old Republic peroid.

I wonder if there is an Owen Antilles

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I looked up Hamner on Wookiepedia because I had no idea who he was or what he did despite always seeing his names in novels and came across this:

quote:

Sometime after he completed his training, Hamner served a salted nerfloaf to his Arcona student Izal Waz. By doing so, he unwittingly sent his apprentice into a salt addiction that threw him off his Jedi path

:wtc:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I didn't think it was too bad. Padme was against the military creation act but that was before the Separatists started getting ornery by doing things like kidnapping Jedis and trying to assassinate Republic Senators. Jar-Jar could have just thought that the game changed from just keeping the Republic together to pure survival and that Padme's stance would have changed.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

When they were on Geonosis and they knew Obiwan was captured, she still wanted a diplomatic solution.

I just have the movies on as background noise while I play games. So It's not like I'm paying too much attention.

She wanted a diplomatic solution, but did Jar-Jar know that or did he think "holy poo poo the Republic is going to be destroyed Padme wouldn't want that!"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Are we really going to have that argument? The Death Star was a mobile vehicle of death which just destroyed an entire planet and would have been used to enslave the galaxy through fear of annihilation. I don't see what's so bad about Luke not batting a tear as he flew back to Yavin. If you want to complain about anything, it's that he didn't seem to really care that his childhood friend Biggs was dead.

And Skywalker did care about killing all those people. It was part of his "death is my gift, killing people is my neat trick" speech he gave. Luke was maturing and realizing that all his fantastic abilities which made people fawn over him so much were just ultimately used to kill people in awesome displays of power. That's why he got a little mopey over it and resigned his commission. He didn't care at the time because he was a hyper-active gun-tooting farmboy who was a gudamn hero for blowing up an evil death machine operated by an evil Empire.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 15, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is basically going into :godwin: territory but it goes back to the origins of the Milgram Study. That study was done specifically to see why nazi soldiers followed ordered to horrible things. The basic conclusion is that following orders doesn't make you evil or cowardly.

No it doesn't make them evil but I don't see the big deal about not having Luke shed a tear for every single person he's blown up. And it's not like Luke knew there were a bunch of nice, ordinary, non-evil dudes on the Death Star. All we saw (and Luke saw) aboard were a bunch of rear end in a top hat guards, Stormtroopers, pilots, and stuffy Admirals.

Luke acknowledged all the people he killed in the Death Star in the Mindor novel. No, he doesn't dwell on it in other novels. But he doesn't dwell on the Mindor events either so I don't see the problem. He went from being a wet-behind-the-ears farmboy in ANH to a more mature, jaded guy in Mindor who was finally coming to terms with all the people he's killed. I don't see what is so unbelievable about it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 15, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

draize_train posted:

Looking at Rotten Tomatoes, TPM has a 62% score (40 by top critics) AOTC has 66% (40 by top critics), and ROTS has 80% (67 by top critics). The way I remember it, a lot of critics deluded themselves into thinking these were okay movies, just like a lot of fans (I guess it's not unreasonable to assume many of the critics were also fans). These critics typically praised Lucas' vision, the visual effects, and some just used the "it's a kids' movie" defence. Judging by the scores, this delusion grew stronger over time...

Yeah, the prequels were regarded anywhere near as badly when they each premiered as they are now. I remember there being a lot of positive buzz around TPM when it first came out. The term "not as good as ANH or ESB but better than ROTJ" was thrown out a lot.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The OT stands great on it's own. In fact any EU around that time frame usually feels out of place, ridiculous, or shoe-horned in.

The PT on the other hand is terrible on it's own and needs the EU to flesh out and explain a bunch of poo poo in the movies that didn't make sense

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Deadcell27 posted:

I kinda got the impression that it was more so anyone that did want to attack them got a pretty big surprise. This is Tatooine, not exactly the nicest planet, and Tuskens take slaves and poo poo, so I'd imagine there are bounty hunters sent after them or whatever.

Plus you could argue that some dumb farmboy or hick would jump at the chance to take down a Tusken if he thought he was alone or separated from the herd.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dunno, I loved Kreya, Sion and Nihilus were lacking. Sion felt almost like a 13 year old's star wars fanfic, and Nihilus was a "superweapon of the week" made into a person. Perhaps some of the cutting room floor stuff elaborated on them but they were far from subtle.

Sion was pretty cool and unique I thought. He's basically a broken shell of a living thing like Vader, only pure rage and hatred keeping him alive instead of a walking iron lung. No he didn't have some huge back story which set up some tragic fall that is supposed to make me feel bad for him, or a pragmatic dude like Dooku who just wanted to fix the galaxy. But that poo poo can stay in that FOTJ/LOTF crap, I don't mind my Sith Lords being simplistic baddies sometimes.

I like Nihilus for the same reason I liked Maul. He looks cool and he's mysterious. And I liked that he was basically a walking void that the Exile indirectly created. Too bad he went down like a chump...like Maul.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

omgLerkHat! posted:

Vader was being a jerk.

Han was totally banging his daughter he was just giving him the Al Bundy treatment.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LLJKSiLk posted:

Loved this.

We need more of this and less of this fan fiction garbage :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm a Zahn fanboy and I liked Allegiance. I found it an enjoyable stand-alone book not weighed down by "SHITS GETTIN' REAL UP IN THIS SON" bull-poo poo or unnecessary multi-book arcs (although I guess that's not entirely true with this new novel). The only thing that kind of weighed it down was the shoe-horned in trio, but I didn't mind it because Zahn and Stover are the only two guys who can write them well and I just liked to pretend that the publisher held a gun to his head and told him to make it happen.

And his Stormtroopers are a million times better than that Mando-bullshit by you know who.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Torael_7 posted:

It kind of is, yeah. You'll wonder who a few characters are and where they came from but its not too bad.

Why would you care about any character not named Wedge or Face?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yoda was a great character in it too, not a bumbling fool or overly silly but more the guy we see in ESB and ROTJ. Also he had the best lines

Yoda: Won this job in a raffle I did, think you?

I also just realised that Anakin and Obi wan are directly responsible for Yoda not turning Dooku back

Yeah, Sean Stewart is awesome. I rate that book as enjoyable as any of Alston's work. I love how Dooku poo poo his pants when he actually thought what would happen if Yoda went Dark. I loved the resolution of the Jedi boy's dreams too. It was a real nice touch.

quote:

Various infighting has basically held it hostage since forever. Another group managed to do their own version, though, which was basically the same; you can find it here.

Someone posted in Games a write-up of the history of that aborted mod. The resolution to the whole thing was arguably as satisfying as actually playing it.

Basically, some asshat dick of a modder got a bunch of people together to work on the project, then held everyone's work hostage for years as he dicked around "perfecting" it. He refused to ask for help or even let anyone else join the team to help get it finished. Any complaint or question of completion was met with sycophants shouting WHEN IT'S DONE. He basically kept everyone in the dark before he finally came out and said that he now had a GIRLFRIEND and that he was too busy to deal with any of your poo poo.

Then someone else came out of no where and released a complete, working version which took a big poo poo all over that asshat's little toy. That power-trip he was on blew up in his face and basically invalidated all the work and notoriety he worked on for the past 4 years.

I usually hate following online, forum drama but that was one of the few cases where I've ever smiled over how something turned out.

quote:

Just be warned it doesn't suddenly make the game complete. They could only add what was on the disc in various levels of incompleteness. Some of it is actually really clumsily implemented because it was the best they could hope to do. It adds some nice things but overall I dont think it makes the game any better for having it.

It clears up a lot of things. Basically the ending with the droids would not make sense at all without the HK factory.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 2, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but I found the HK factory itself really awful. I realize it's not their fault it was just such a drag.

Edit: This may be entirely biased since I followed it up to release I knew basically everything in that restoration mod, which may have tempered my enthusiasm.

Yeah I found the factory near impossible. Are you supposed to be beat this factory at all without cheats? I don't see how you can deal with the waves and waves of enemies unless you happened to have the foresight to power-level HK before hand, and even then I don't see how you can do it. I never bothered to get a ranged weapon any better than I pick up off the ground, so basically I just spammed grenades and health packs the whole time

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mooktastical posted:

I might have found your problem.

Most of my money went to upgrades and since I never bought a ranged weapon in KOTOR which I felt was worth a drat I didn't think I was missing anything. I'll be more careful next time I just didn't think I would be stuck in an unskippable scenario where I had to solo with HK

An unless I could one-shot (or even two to three) the other HKs then I still don't see how you can do it in some non-pain in the rear end way

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 2, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kneel Before Zog posted:

More posting on Yoda badassery in this thread. A poster above mentioned Dooku speculating abut Yoda turning evil. What led him to that train of thought?

Yoda confronted Dooku in his Castlevania mansion. Dooku tried the go-to Sith move of trying to turn any Jedi who ever confronts them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mooktastical posted:

So while looking at Wookieepedia, specifically the Canon section, I found this:

:sigh:

The one thing Lucas has right!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thrawn was preparing the galaxy for the threat of bug orgies

But I thought it was blatantly obvious in Outbound Flight that it was the Vong they were talking about. It might have even been wookiepedia which expounded on it, Palps not wanting a modern warship filled with Jedi to stumble across some Vong staging point/beach head and get captured and studied.

quote:

The Empire would have presumably skull-hosed the Vong (if with heavy losses).

Yes they would have but then NJO fans would just counter with the "but the Vong couldn't be countered through traditional means!!!!" argument which I found to be the most :rolleyes: aspect of that god-awful series.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 16, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

He was going to kill the Solo kids for their own good.

"Ah Han, a pleasure that you can join us"
"Yeah, charmed"
"I've been studying your Falcon, your piece of art if you may. Do you want to know what I discovered?"
"Yeah sure lay it on me I'm all ears"
"...your daughter is going to grow up and join a giant bug-orgy"
"Oh god she's with Leia on Coruscant right now here are the keys to my apartment!"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

NJO did a lot of good to get out of the "Minor alien threat/doomsday weapon of the week" routine. But unforunatly it just inspired the "BIGGER/MORE INTENSE" routine of the year with each sucessive series.

NJO removed the "Minor alien threat/doomsday weapon of the week" routine and replaced it with a "Major Vong threat/Vong doomsday weapon of the week" routine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least they were all related together in one large arc. Besides, the Vong only had one super weapon and it turned out to not even be a superweapon.

Vong had blackholes popping up when or wherever they wanted, Vong warriors equipped with armor and weapons that could go toe-to-toe with lightsabers, the ability to crash moons down on planets, shapeshifters, unstoppable Jedi killing beasts, magical alchemy, etc. They were one big walking superweapon.

I don't agree that it was related in one large arc. Yes, I guess since it was Vong related then it's considered one large arc. But a good chunk of that series is just bullshit filler and ultimately had gently caress-all to do with anything or even the next book/mini-series, so in that regard it was very much like the Bantam-era EU. The EU wasn't stuck in a rut before NJO because it needed something fresh, it was stuck in a rut because of lovely writers. The NJO just moved the EU to another rut, which was darker and more in-your-face.

And I blame it for giving the green-light to cram a bunch of fantasy-novel bullshit into Star Wars.

And so ends my monthly NJO rant

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 17, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I forget, did the magic planet do anything other than show up, go "hey guys!", and cause a lot of Vong to surrender? All I really remember it doing was showing up near Coruscant and letting Coran fly around in those pod things (but not letting him attack)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

They really should have written something that occurred during a reconstruction and reconciliation period instead of loving bug orgies.

The Vong were supposed to disband and GTFO. Any hold-outs were supposed to be taken care of by the surrendered Vong. I guess the GA didn't really have to do much other than coordinate and maybe send a ship or two to oversee.

But once the Vong left you pretty much have a bunch of uninhabited planets with nothing but a token GA ship or two to patrol the region. It would have been stupidly easy to write a series about the power vacuum in the region. Pirates, would-be warlords, businessmen, Hutts whatever. But then you'd have to not rely on whoring out the Big Three, again, to solve the problem and not relying on BIG, DARK, AND IN YOUR FACE to make it interesting.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slantedfloors posted:

It's not stupid, it's awesome.

Han Solo/Indiana Jones crossovers are more canon to me than FOTJ

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If Chewie teams up with Indy, does that mean Han teams up with Short Round?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slantedfloors posted:

Han is actually dead at that point.

Oh yeah :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mojo1701a posted:

I just beat Knights of the Old Republic. I haven't felt that good about both Star Wars or video games in a while. I feel nerdy for saying that, but gently caress if I haven't been that engrossed by a game (Star Wars or otherwise) in a while.

Now please immediately go buy KOTOR II: The Sith Lords, install the restoration mod, and call in sick for a week.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ninja_Orca posted:

Motherfucking Darth Nihilus. Though to be fair he didn't eat them so much as "Ripped the Force itself from everything about them, pretty much making them uninhabitable." That's what you get when you try to replace "Superweapon of the week" with a person.

He was basically a walking void in the Force, kind of a perverse version of what the Exile could have become and born out of the destruction caused by the Exile. He was basically a monster that the Exile had to take responsibility for somehow, not just a crappy generic superweapon made-up just to get Luke, Leia, and Han out of the house.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What exactly was Mace Windu's plan anyway? He didn't know about Yoda so basically he got 200 Jedi killed for nothing.

He had to get there 5 minutes before Yoda could otherwise Anakin would have died!

Which reminds me, how did Yoda manage to discover and mobilize an entire army which he knew nothing about and arrive only minutes after Mace?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Which guy swung first?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kung Food posted:

After watching the Clone Wars cartoon I came to the conclusion that Mace was the only Jedi who actually needed to be there. The guy is seriously overpowered. Maybe he was just thinning the heard of the sucky Jedi, ie the ones who are not Mace Windu.

Mace's plans all revolve around his Jedi partners getting quickly cut down like a bunch of chumps. It's his thing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Decius posted:

Obi-Wan did tell them about the army on Kamino.

He told them, but you'd think Yoda had to fly out to Kamino too see the army first before he could mobilize it. I doubt he just asked clones to meet up with him for the first time outside the parking lot of the arena.

And it's a giant army, it's not like Yoda just pulled up to Kamino in his station wagon, honked the horn, and the clones ran out of the house and jumped into the backseat of his car.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even if the clones were ready to go, Yoda still had to get there first. And since it's supposed to be in some out-of-the-way, only truckstop diner cooks have heard of it planet, it would have taken Yoda a decent amount of time to arrive.

And even if you can explain away how they had so many giant troop carriers ready to go, it still doesn't explain how Mace arrived with a small strikeforce of Jedi barely minutes before Yoda

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

omgLerkHat! posted:

This kind of poo poo is what is wrong with the EU.

How else do you explain a highly trained fleet with superior numbers retreating from a fight against a ragtag force of Rebels, who they were previously grinding into dust through pure attrition?