Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Fnoigy posted:

Ok, really stupid question here, but why, exactly, does everybody hate The Galactic Empire? I mean, yea, it's ruled by the Sith lord and his apprentice, but nobody in the movies ever really say what the Empire does that really is so bad, other than taking extreme measures to pacify a violent rebellious uprising, but what ELSE do they do that everybody hates? What made the Rebellion start other than the fact that it was an empire rather than a republic?

This was covered in the very first post. Also, Starkiller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

BattleMaster posted:

Haha and I thought Cad Bane was a terrible name. That's on the level of Sleazebaggano.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Loathsom

This is what happens when you name your son Whorm.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Pththya-lyi posted:

Speaking of terrible Star Wars names, here's how you make up your own! This is buried deep in the last thread, but I think it's worth posting again.

-For the first name, take the first three letters of your surname and add the first two letters of your first name.
-For the surname, take the first two letters of your mother's maiden name and add the first three letters of your birthplace.

For example, John Smith's mother's maiden name was Baker and he was born in New York City, so his Star Wars surname is Smijo Banew.

My name is Linka Huwas, and I sound like a Clone Wars-era Jedi who died like a punk at Geonosis. :downsbravo:

No, this is how you make a Star Wars name:

1. Take your character attribute and/or role in the story.
2. Spell it all alienny. (optional)
3. Add an o.

So, since I'm a tubby asshole who's currently obsessed with Doctor Who, my name would be something like Doc Tubbo. Or I could get creative and go be Whodoc Sholebby.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Bene Elim posted:

^^ Was that the CG Clone Wars episode where they crashed on a planet inhabited by Irish midgets? That was terrible.

More like lemur people. And I dug that episode. :colbert:

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Throb Robinson posted:

Worst part of the battle droids was that loving gag of C-3po attached to a battle droid.

"Die Jedi Guys!"

Who thought that was a good idea? 3po was always funny cause he was so funny and prissy not because he in wacky! Situations

:eng101: It's actually "Die Jedi dogs!"

And that makes it all better. :eng99:

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Gynovore posted:

This might be a really stupid question, but that's never, ever stopped me before. At the end of RotS, when Palpatine used his Force Lightning and it fried him and made his skin all icky and his voice... pretty darn cool to be honest, anyway when he talked like that, were digital effects used on his voice, or did actor Ian McDiarmid do it himself?

McDiarmid supposedly did it himself. I believe him.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Fox of Stone posted:

Speaking of action figures, is it really possible to get every single guy from the cantina scene? I know what the answer probably is, but I think that bat dude and hammerhead man look pretty cool.

Most but not all. Hasbro likes to space them out over the years.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Darth Freddy posted:

Though why Lucus did ok it as G cannon is just odd.

I keep reading this here, but I can never find a reference for it. Where does Lucas declare it canon?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Darth Freddy posted:

The Wiki does state the "light side" ending is canon.

Yeah, but the wiki says that for pretty much every game (e.g. KOTOR, Jedi Knight, etc.)

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
Just found this on Wookieepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bender_%28droid%29

Yes, that Bender. At least they're thorough.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

TorpedoFish posted:

Speaking of Star Wars vehicles...I'm willing to accept that space fighters have 'wings' - fine, maybe you need to land on planets sometimes and anyway it's just a movie. But is there any explanation as to why the wings have to be set in "attack position" for combat...in space? In a vacuum? Where there is no air, therefore no way for wings to generate lift or do anything useful other than look cool?

(I should have never even opened this thread. I picked up a couple EU books at the library over the weekend. My transition to the Dark Side has begun.)

All spergin' aside, the only real reason for this is because it looks neat. Unfortunately, that's not sufficient for most of us fanboys.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Kingtheninja posted:

So I never really asked what the story behind the biggs and luke scene in ANH was. I've seen pictures of a scene that was in the script where they're talking on tattooine. I never really found out why that wasn't included in the movie.

It was originally added to the script so the audience wouldn't have to wait 20 minutes meet the film's protagonist. The scene was subsequently filmed and cut due to pacing and the fact that it didn't really add anything to the story.

Most people who claim to remember seeing the Biggs scenes (pre-1997) are mistaken, in that the scenes are included in the novelization, radio drama, and children's storybook (which featured pictures). There have been alleged occasions where the film was shown with the scenes intact, but it's hard to substantiate.

In 1997 (I believe), LucasArts released a CD-ROM called Star Wars: Behind the Magic, which featured, among other things, the complete Biggs sequences.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

orange lime posted:

why would he go out of his way to brutally subjugate the denizens of a sleepy backwater that is also his childhood home?

It would certainly draw attention away from him.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you were to trust some EU writer to do Palpatine's back story who would it be? Zhan? Allston?

Karen Traviss, if only to see things from Palpatine's POV.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

WhyteRyce posted:

The show had a drat Jar-Jar episode and is even worse with the "ROGER ROGER" stuff than any of the prequels. I don't understand it when people trash the prequels for stuff like that and then talk about how the cartoon stands apart from the prequels in quality.

Did you watch Trespass? The Ryloth episodes? The Lair of Grievous? You do own them, after all. The show really picks up halfway through season 1.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah, I believe I got to episode 16 when I just stopped caring to put the DVD back in to finish it off. I'll finish it one day because I want to give season 2 a chance for some reason, I just don't understand all the raving about it or how it seems to get away with the exact same poo poo that people bitch about Lucas doing.

That's fair. It really has picked up, though. It's matured a bit and come into its own (a few crap episodes notwithstanding, of course).

Incidentally, here's the TVIV thread on The Clone Wars: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3347695

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cad Bane is a poo poo character.

Thank you for your insightful contribution. I'll keep it in mind next time I need someone from the internet to formulate my opinions for me.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

:ughh: I would watch the films in theaters again, but not this 3-D bullshit. (But then, I don't have binocular vision.)

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

thrawn527 posted:

This is a major derail, so if it's not a short response then I can continue in PM, but why don't you have binocular vision? My wife can't see 3D in movies, but she has perfect vision in both eyes otherwise. Apparently her eye muscles just don't move like that in order to reconcile the images. Is this the same with you? Or are you blind in one eye? Genuinely curious.

I am not-quite-blind in one eye. The vision in my right eye is comparable to the peripheral vision in my left, if that makes any sense. So, while I can understand 3-dimensional depth perception in an academic sense, I have no experiential frame of reference for it. This is also why I'm poo poo at most sports.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't understand the logic behind releasing Episode I first. A New Hope is the most widely known, it has some of the best potential for 3-D, and it's not a poorly written piece of poo poo.

Then again, I hate 3-D so what do I know?

Well, because it's the first part of the story, you see, and Lucas always meant for the films to be viewed I-VI.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh good god :gonk:!

Why the hell is Lucas so creepily intent on pushing the movies into THREE DEE anyways. Not like 3D is special anymore.

He always intended them to be in 3D since he wrote the first draft, but the technology for it didn't exist then. Now, thanks to CGI and James Cameron, Lucas is finally able to fulfill his original vision of Star Wars.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Mister Roboto posted:

Actually...was the emperor ever mentioned by the Jedi in the OT? In any material?

If not, then his existence could conceivably be unknown to Yoda in the OT's writing.

In ROTJ, Yoda says, "Do not underestimate the power of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will."

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Muppetjedi posted:

Dear George

This thread.

Somehow Carrie Fisher continues to get more awesome with age.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish she was still hot
:(

You mean this doesn't do anything for you?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Teek posted:

Someone needs to watch RotS again to verify, but after being born, Ben holds Luke and does Padme hold Leia? Or does the Droid hold Leia?

Edit: Reading another forum with this question, they point out that baby Leia apparently had her eyes open when Padme died, while Luke's were closed, which may (it's a stretch) be enough to explain this issue.

That was, indeed, the Lucas loophole, according to LFL's continuity guy.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

thrawn527 posted:

To me, this is the worst of George Lucas' bad ideas. It would have been so easy for the robot to say she's dying due to complications, and that there was nothing they could do to stop it. But Lucas seemed to go out of his way to say, "No, she's fine, but she's dying anyway. Why? Because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY!"

It's the dumbest reason for dying in the history of cinema, and gets even worse with context (she just gave birth). For the life of me, I can't figure out the reason he went there.

The worst part is that Anakin broke her heart by turning evil, and it killed her, despite the fact that she still believed there was good in him.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

DorianGravy posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I think he wrote it that was because he trying to make the point that love is bad. After his divorce, it seems like Lucas has become incredibly bitter, so much so that he trying to say that love, as a whole, is a bad thing. Really, it's a theme of the prequels. Almost no characters have any sort of romantic involvement, and for the two that do - one is led directly to the dark side because of it (in two ways: his love for his mother and his love for Padme), and one dies directly because of it. Yoda, the character who is supposed to be looked to as the voice of wisdom in the movies, directly tells us that attachments are bad.

I think that's a bit simplistic. While he's definitely a terrible writer and director, he's not an idiot. Jedi philosophy is heavily influenced by Eastern thought, particularly Buddhism. The major tenet of Buddhism is that attachments inevitably lead to suffering (which I tend to agree with).

Anakin's downfall was never just about love, although it played a role. (Keep in mind, it also played a significant role in his subsequent redemption.) It was about misguided, conflicting desires. He wanted to be a Jedi. He wanted to stay with his mother. He wanted to be with Padme. He wanted to save everyone. He wanted to be the big drat hero, but without making any sacrifices. It didn't help, either, that he had a Sith master playing him the whole time.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Pope Mobile posted:

What about when they part before Obi Wan heads off to fight Grievous on the pothole planet? He seemed pretty nice and even pleased with Anakin.

E: Aslo the whole "I loved you! You were like a brother!" thing.

That was thrown in to give the impression that Obi-Wan was pretty nice and even pleased with Anakin.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

JonLikesPie posted:

Something's been bugging me lately. I remember as a kid thinking that the Jedi were these Knight-Errant sorts that wander about doing good with a loose organization, but what I can't remember was when I first heard about the Jedi Council and how they were organized.

Anybody know when that all first came up in Star Wars?

The Jedi Council originated with The Phantom Menace, as I recall.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Kingtheninja posted:

I know there are some instances with clones dying a bit more brutally than normal. The brain stealers episode for instance, one of the possessed clones gets run through with a lightsaber. There are other examples I can't recall right now but they are definitely few and far between.

There's a particularly brutal bit from Season 3, where Ventress impales a clone on her lightsaber. The kiss was cut from broadcast.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ARC_Troopers_(episode)#Behind_the_scenes

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

NeonTurtle posted:

Have you tried looking around your local library? My local library allows me to check every library in the state for a book. If anyone has it, they'll ship it on over so I can check it out. Maybe yours has something similar.

Interlibrary loan is a wonderful thing that many (if not most) libraries participate in. Most people are oblivious to this fact. It's a shame, really. It's like pre-internet file-sharing.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Suenteus Po posted:

Nothing in the EU is worse than what Lucas put into the prequels.

Midichlorians, Shmi's virgin birth, Anakin building Threepio (to help his mom do ???), Gungans, elected 14-year-old queens. And that's not even the worst prequel movie.

Seriously, what's the stupidest thing in the EU books/comics, the Jedi Prince series? At least those made some kind of sense compared to the Trade Federation dispute. I can understand why Trioculus was hunting endangered Whaladons, even if it's stupid. I have no goddamned idea what is going on in The Phantom Menace.

Three words: Psychic Force Clit.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does this have something to do with FoTJ?

No.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Ok, I really need to know the context behind this one.

I don't remember which novel it's from (there's a bit with Lando betting on blob racing), but at one point, Luke starts psychically exploring Leia's brain (for Force sensitivity, I believe) and in the very back, he finds a little psychic protuberance. When he... probes it with the Force, it knocks him on his rear end. Only Force-sensitive have the psychic Force clit.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

ZeeToo posted:

Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search

For stupidest concept in the whole of Star Wars, I have to nominate the life-force-draining cockroaches that melt into your body that eventually turn into humanoids.

There you have it, folks. Kevin J. Anderson is responsible for Psychic Force Clit. :ughh:

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

WhyteRyce posted:

That's what they did with Chewie and people still complained.

That's because the prequels have to be 100% consistent with the OT without actually featuring any characters from it. :rolleyes:

I honestly didn't have a problem with Artoo and Threepio appearing in the PT. How they were executed, however, was pretty bad. If Anakin had to build one, it would've made sense to have it be Artoo. And, of course, Threepio would be Padme's protocol droid.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

vseslav.botkin posted:

I dunno, Anakin building Artoo still leaves us with the problem of "why not build something that his mom might actually use?" I somehow doubt she has much use for an astromech droid, even if it can fly and hack into the Death Star and project holograms of princesses in distress. At most, you might get a useful beverage delivery system if you put a tray on top of him.

Of course, you actually have the same problem in the original trilogy, but there's enough good stuff around it you don't really notice....

Artoo's basically a robotic Swiss army knife. I don't own a spaceship either, but...

ImpAtom posted:

Considering Uncle Owen wanted to buy one in the original movies, presumably it has uses beyond spaceship stuff. He wanted to buy C3-P0 as well, but that is because his wife yelled at him to get a translator that spoke whateverthehellese, which is presumably less useful for a slave then a fixit robot.

Bocce. She wants a droid who speaks Bocce. (Also, the binary language of moisture vaporators.)

Diacritical Mark posted:

I don't think the Trade Federation actually had Senate seats. They did buy a lot of Senators' votes, though.

"The chair does not recognize the senator of the Trade Federation at this time."

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

TorpedoFish posted:

Awesome - disc 1 of series 1 is next in my Netflix queue and I plan on working through the whole thing thus far. Do they have the same blue circles effect? Because that's the way science fiction should look.

Yes they do. Dave Filoni (who basically runs the show) has an obvious hard-on for the OT and isn't above arguing with Jorge about it.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Chairman Capone posted:

And Lucas always wins those arguments.

Also Filoni has always struck me as a fanboy and not in a good way - I mean, the fact that he was completely obsessed with Plo Koon, a character who appeared in about ten minutes of the prequels and had no dialogue, should say it all. It's like the people who are so obsessed with Boba Fett because of his role in the original trilogy. I never understood that.

Not always. Filoni insisted on making the holo-chess monsters look like stop-motion in one episode. Jorge didn't get it.

Re: Boba Fett - He's got cool armor, shoots lasers from his wrists and has a jetpack with a missile on it. When you're 8, that's all that matters. Also, he disintegrates his targets and doesn't take poo poo from Vader.

Besides, what's wrong with Plo Koon? He's just a weird-looking alien Jedi who dies in ROTS.

Also, the first rule of working at Lucasfilm: Jorge is Always Right.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Doc Hawkins posted:

Seriously, you guys, who are these people you know who have been Star Wars fans since before the prequels, and actually like the prequels? I have never met a single such person, much less a broad movement composed of them.

I've been a Star Wars fan all my life (i.e. since the 70s), and I enjoyed the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

tin can made man posted:

To be fair, I never saw Neimodians as being asian stereotypes. Their whole style and aesthetic (flowing robes, ornate headdresses, evil robots, etc) is mean to evoke a sort of pulpy "Ming the Merciless" feel. It just probably never occurred to Lucas that the writers of Flash Gordon may not have been the most racially sensitive lot, so he did very little to modify the archetype.

Also as someone mentioned: since people can't agree if Watto is an offensive Jewish or Arab stereotype, it's probably safe to say that he was not intended to be either.

I mean, Jabba the Hutt could be seen as a super offensive Arab stereotype, if you chose to read him as such. He's fat, opulent, lives in a desert palace, keeps several female slaves, smokes a hookah, talks in a funny foreign language, and keeps court over a silk-draped den of thieves.

I read somewhere that the Neimoidians used a Transylvanian accent (or an approximation thereof), but I don't know if it's true. Andrew Secombe (who voiced Watto) based his portrayal of him on Fagin from Oliver Twist (particularly Alec Guinness's portrayal of the character). I also agree that if you can't identify what its supposed to be a stereotype of, then it's not really a stereotype. The whole racial thing is a nasty combination of Lucas' sheltered life and his use of classic archetypes that are often associated with minorities.