Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hell they can keep the plot of LoTF, just rewrite it with different authors. Allston can stay but gently caress the rest.

Having not read any EU books since the late 90s, and since I was laid off this time last year, I decided to visit the library and catch up. Not seeing the need to read the Black Fleet Crisis (where I left off) I figured I would just catch up using wikipedia and start fresh with NJO.

As I was reading that series I followed these threads and learned of Traviss. Soon as I worked myself through the series and into LoTF, I began to breathe a heavy sigh when I would see her name on the next installment.

I finally had to stop 75 pages into Sacrifice. The Boba Fett story line was pointless and brought the already thin plot line to a hault. She's really ruined that character for me for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

dadsdementia.jpg posted:

Is Anikin's midichlorean count lower after he gets all his arms and legs and stuff chopped off?

Sort of. I can't remember the exact source but there is mention that his powers were a bit limited once he became Vader because of all the machinery. He still had quite a bit of power but wasn't anything near what he used to be.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

A planet with a hollow core half populated by snobby upperclass royalists on land and retarded annoying clumsy lizard people under the sea.

Did the Naboo and Gungans ever go to war with each other? It seems that the Gungans just lived in the sea and there were no signs that they had ever been at war with anyone...yet they have these huge dinosaur like things that can generate shields and posses some kind of advanced ion cannon abilities.

And if your race lives underwater, why do you have huge dinosaurs around to begin with?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So Amidala was elected or appointed Queen? Either way, I've never heard of a ruling system where royalty steps down to become a politician after.

For that matter, how was Leia a Princess when her dad wasn't a King? I don't remember Bail ever being called "Prince" or "king" Organa. And if his wife was royalty wouldn't that make him Duke or Earl or something?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

hellsy posted:

Elected Queen, which was limited to two terms, I can imanage that they had the same poo poo on Alderaan.

I'm no history major but has there ever been an elected Queen?

Lucas: Ok guys... (shuffles legal sized papers around) so Amidala is Luke's mum
Employee: Ok. What is she? Is she a slave like Anakin or Padme? Is that how they meet?
Lucas: Nope. She's a Queen!
Employee: Really? So the whole Skywalker family is decended from Royalty?
Lucas: Nope. She's um...was elected Queen!
Employee: Um really? Who would vote in a 14 year old Queen? Not really a great leader don't you think? I mean, no wonder Naboo is easy to invade. My nephew is 13 and gets wedgies once a week from the school bullies. Can kids vote too? Because if that's true its like saying Brittany Spears would be the Queen of America.
Lucas: Good point. We'll just have her finish serving her 2nd term by the second movie.
Employee: :negative:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ok so I see how thing runs in the Skywalker family now, you just assign yourself titles right?

Like how Luke is a Jedi Grandmaster now and not just plan ol' Jedi Master. Never mind that people like Yoda were 900 years old and more powerful then Luke and there are current Jedi in the Order that are more powerful then him but he still gets to make up his own title.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Anakin had more potential than Yoda, and wasn't Luke supposed to be as powerful as pre-sunburned Anakin?

And Kyp doesn't count as more powerful than Luke because:
1) KJA
2) He's an assclown

I got the impression that Anakin and Jacen Solo were more powerful then Luke. I mean, Anakin turned into pure Force "light" power when fending off the Vong.

Sure it killed him but who else went out like that?

Jacen even slowed the gestation rate of his baby mamma.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lobster Fancy posted:

I wonder how he feels about those live action Ewok movies.

Hey, remember those live action Ewok movies?

I was young enough to see the holiday special but not totally remember it. The Ewok movies however....

It was horrible. It was the 80s, a new Star Wars movie was going to be on TV. I tried to convince myself that what I just saw was good. I mean, it was Star Wars right?

Soon after, I found out Santa wasn't real and I didn't even care.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lobster Fancy posted:

Speaking of novelizations, how are the ones for the original trilogy? I've always thought about giving them a read. Anything bizarre or contradicting of the prequels?

I seem to recall that the books elude to the fact that Obi-Wan and Owen were brothers. That's the biggest thing I can think of.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Geekner posted:

Well, from the film-making point of view, aliens were hard to include in the 70's. They were already pushing boundaries of model-building, computer graphics, and set design. I doubt their budget could handle making hundreds of alien costumes.

Yup, Hollywood sure is xenophobic.

e: This might also explain why Lucas keeps going back to screw with the special editions. He might have wanted all those aliens in the movie, but couldn't fit them into the budget. Thus, Star Wars: Dewback Edition.

Why not just do what Star Trek did? Funny hair cuts and boney foreheads.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Diacritical Mark posted:

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm

Holy poo poo. I had no idea she put so much effort into this.

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/Movingon.htm

Karen Traviss posted:

The bottom line is that 501st was my last Star Wars novel, period, not just my last Commando book. I pulled out of the book in December 2009 because of disagreements with the publisher over payments and contracts. If you want to read more of my stuff, you'll have to venture beyond the SW wire. Try it. You might be surprised how much you like what else is out there.

Karen Traviss posted:

Please also be aware of one basic fact - all writers for a franchise have to follow official canon. You can't go off and do your own thing, or else the book won't get approved and printed. It's that simple. So please don't keep asking me to carry on in the old canon, because I'm just not allowed to.

So isn't she just outright lying here? Wasn't she kicked off the books because of NOT following canon? Also, if you state that you quit because of money and contract issues, posting 3 months of blog entries bitching about canon doesn't really make me want to believe you.

Also I'd like to take the time to inform Ms. Traviss that I stopped reading LOTF because of her. I got 1/4 way into Betrayal, saw all that Boba Fett family emo poo poo again, and just quit.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I did the same thing, except I read the whole book, and then stopped. I haven't even moved on and cracked into FotJ yet, and I probably never will. I suppose I could at least give Invincible a chance, but I don't know...

Last year I started with FotJ because I saw it in the library and I remembered that I had not read an EU book in years. After reading the first book I decided it would be fun to go back and read everything since I kinda new what happened.

I decided to start with NJO and just read the big three of four hard covers of that series. ( I skipped Dark Nest thanks to you guys!)

After struggling through one book and Boba's daughter I just couldn't do it anymore.

I read each book of the EU as it came out in the 90s. I spend all my energy reading the Crystal Star and Black Fleet Crisis. I just can't do it anymore.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

The Vong war really interests me, but isn't it a lot of books for that series?

The entire series is over 20 books. I read just the 3 or 4 hardcovers because it's all my library had and it pretty much covers all the major issues of the series. You can google the other smaller books to get summaries.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

3D movies can be absolutely amazing as shown in Avatar. But that was filmed in native 3D specifically to be in 3D by a director who revolutionized the technology and methods to do it.

These 3D movies are going to be 3D conversions by Lucas.

It's not going to be pretty.

Lucas: Well you see, we had to add in all these extra scenes and add in extra FX re-shoot the entire Death Star trench sequence with all new actors because the old film just didn't look right in 3D.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Biplane posted:

Shia LeBouf as a young Han Solo would absolutely own and be amazing, what's wrong with you guys?

I always thought that Josh Holloway, Sawyer on LOST, would make a perfect Han Solo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My friends and I like to make up titles for the next Indiana Jones movies.

Indiana Jones and "Where the Hell Are My Glasses
Indiana Jones and "Why Do People Drive So drat Fast All the Time"
Indiana Jones and The Enlarged Prostate
Indiana Jones and the Journey of Just Right Turns and Surface Roads

Ok, well, I don't have any friends, but I make them up to myself.

Indiana Jones and the AARP Discount

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

That explains the 8-year-old Anakin and 14-year-old Padme

Sperg Edit: I know I may have the ages wrong but you know what I mean.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Better question: Why wouldn't Palpatine kill Organa after he found out he was leading the Rebels with Leia in TFU?

Yes we have discussed this a million times but I will never resist a good old Starkiller bashing.

I'm playing TFU for the 1st time now and just got to this level yesterday and let out a huge groan when I saw Leia and R2.

Also, how the hell does Starkiller survive being ejected into space? I thought he'd get some cool cybernetics or something but nope. I guess the Empire, or Vader, has great technology where one can be stabbed with a lightsaber, thrown against walls and then pushed into the vacuum of outer space and walk away hours later with no scars or anything.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Crowetron posted:

Denning came up with Flow Walking, a Force power so retarded that I hate him more than Traviss.

Didn't he do this as a way to bring Anakin Solo back but the plot got axed somewhere in the middle?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ZeeToo posted:

NJO seemed like a bit of a mess on several levels. Like, it felt like someone decided to set out the whole series before book 1 hit market, and then had to scramble when authors had disagreements, or simply didn't follow The Outline to the letter, or when fan reaction was just oddly not exactly as planned. I can't help but think that it would have done a lot better at a quarter of the length and no more than two authors. Even then, preferably one. Collaborations are tougher to make everything seamless, and each new author seems to make things much more complex.

My take on it is this.

1) Let's create a non-Empire enemy, someone that is on par with Jedis as far as power (not a bad thing when you think about it)
2) Let's Kill Chewbacca since since we can't figure out how to write him anymore and for the last 2 books he's been a babysitter.
3) Kill Jacen Solo.
4) Set up Anakin to be the next successor to Luke.

Chewie was more of less killed for shock value and he's the one character you can write off without loosing a "voice" in the stories. Plus it's a grab to pull back fans that stopped reading in the mid 90s. "WHAT!?? They killed Chewie? Holy poo poo, I need to read Star Wars again!"

Somewhere in the middle of everything, Lucas sticks his head in and says, "NO!" to the idea that Anakin Solo will be the next big thing.

I believe I also heard that between the writers, there was no main plot outline. Each author just continued the story were the previous one left off. This is part of the reason that they now all meet to get a general idea of how things are going to go.

I believe I even saw in this thread (of a previous one) that Travvis never read any previous books, she just continued on summaries she heard.

I have a feeling that had the series not been so accepted, it would have been shorter and not 20+ books. But the books kept selling and since all but 3 were published as softcover only, the profit margin would have been favorable.

Personally, other than Travvis horrible writing, the length of the NJO series ruined the LoTF series for me. They spent quite a bit of effort and time in building up a new generation of Jedi and characters that were really cool, only to kill or write off all but a small handful.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvv the CD was available with the hardcover edition of The Unifying Force

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 5, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Showing them the PT in the middle of ROTJ may make them forget Luke kisses his sister in Empire

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Someone on Reddit posted links to updated version of X-Wing an Tie Fighter. They look pretty good!
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/do1fn/did_you_love_xwing_tie_fighter_andor_xwing/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Remember the old Spider-Man live action show from the 70s? Remember the episode where the bad guy gets some of Spider-Man's blood and clones him to find out that he's really Peter Parker? I always imagined Anakin and Obi Wan fighting a huge army of freckley faced guys with mullets.

My Dad was in Vietnam and my Grandfather was in WWII. It just made sense to have a dad in a "war" because everyone I knew back then did.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

As for Luke's not trying to convert the Emperor, who's the say he wasn't? It takes a lot of effort for Palpatine to goad Luke into striking, and once Luke finally disables Vader he then promptly throws away his weapon and tries to start a reasonable discussion with the Emperor.

I saw it as Luke looks at Vader's severed hand, then his own cybernetic hand, and slowly realizes what's about to happen if he finished Vader off in anger. He throws the saber away because he does not want to follow in Daddy's footsteps.

I never got the impression he was trying to discuss anything with the Emperor other than, "I've seen what I could become, I'd rather be a Jedi then go to the dark side". Then Palpatine says "Welp, you gon' die!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So I'm reading a blog unrelated to SW and the author added this quote:

George Lucas posted:

“You simply have to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Put blinders on and plow right ahead.”

That explains so much.

In case anyone cares, the link is http://thoughtcatalog.com/2010/recorded-live-before-a-paid-studio-audience/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

40 Star Wars Stories That Should Be Movies
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/40-star-wars-stories-that-should-be-movies

No one is going to like #38

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This just in: TFU 2 is a painfully mediocre game according to every review.

I just finished the first game. Darth Vader fighting sans helmet and oh look! His flesh and blood legs grew back. Isn't that nice ?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Clemen posted:

I can handle the lovely prequels and off the wall EU

What I am truly dreading is this.

When Hollywood decides the time is right for a gritty reboot of the star wars franchise :(

EDIT: With Micheal Bay

MY WIFE and I were watching Firefly recently and thought that IF you had to reboot Star Wars, it may not hurt if it looked a bit like that show but without all the western stuff obviously.

SeanBeansShako posted:

One thing that pisses me off about the prequals is that everything is so shiny new and functional.

Especially in the middle of a goddamn galactic civl war. When you think civil war you should think the chaos of the French Revolution or the Russian Civil War of the twenties.

I remember having discussion years ago about this. Some people seemed to say that maybe the Empire rounded up all the good tech to use for itself and people were left to just salvage what they could to make things work.

The Empire would also use very dull colors and basic looking things to project a sense of well....blah, is the best word I can think of at the moment. Everything was dull and flat looking. Just the kind of thing you would want to help bring down the spirits of people.

Kinda of like if you work in a cube farm with gray walls and florescent lights you're depressed all the time.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 27, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rocket Ace posted:

But... Han Solo the space rogue gunslinger is infinitely cooler than those monk-like Jedi. Well, I'm sure that *some* people feel that way.

I was mainly talking about the accents and horses.

Now Han and Lando sneaking onto a train, trying to hide in plain sight from imperial troops, making their way to the cargo hold while Chewie is lowered by grappling hook down from an R2-D2 piloted Millennium Falcon where he then grabs the stolen goods and ascends back up into the ship is all kinds of awesome.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So have they discovered in FOTJ yet why Jacen went dark?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BBC reports that there is a new game coming in 2011 that makes use of Kinect on Xbox.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11720937

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Slantedfloors posted:

That's literally the worst design plan I've ever heard.

I mean to beat that level of stupid you'd need, like, the ship's stockpile of kerosene to be stored right next to their torpedo storage bay or something.

My wife works at a hotel and in the basement where they do laundry, there is this huge hot iron that presses all the sheets. This thing gets up to almost 150 degrees. Wanna know what's just inches from it?

The main natural gas line.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

NeonTurtle posted:

I own the Trivial Pursuit game. No one will play with me after I answered 17 questions in a row the first time we played.

I too have been outlawed from playing. My best friend's wife got it for him for his birthday. I went over with my wife and they decided to split into boys vs. girls.

20 minutes later they were viably getting pissed when we snickered at their wrong answers and then got up from the table once they realized my friend and I were not ending our argument over something Ewok related any time soon.

We toyed with the idea of adding a rule were you had to answer in Klingon but even some nerds have their limits.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

While watching Episode II last night, I was reminded of something that confused me:

:spergin:
When Padme is on Geonosis and Palpatine is trying to get emergency powers in order to create an army, Jar-Jar (in Padme's place) suggests granting said powers to Palpatine. This makes absolutely no sense.
In the beginning of the movie, Padme talks about how she's been fighting the military creation act since its inception and favors a diplomatic solution with the separatists.
Jar-Jar has been with Padme for a long time, and he should know that she'd oppose anything that would involve creating an army.
Senator Organa is standing in the room when they say "If only Senator Amidala were here," and he probably knows that she'd be against it, too, considering they all sit in the same flying disc and seem to have the same political views.
Am I missing something here?
/:spergin:

I looked at this as a plot point to throw Jar Jar under the bus. So when people would argue how cute he was, you could retort with the fact that he pretty much handed the galaxy over to the Emperor at that point.

I think I've seen it discussed elsewhere too that Palpatine maneuvered things so that Jar Jar would be in a place to make the decision but since he's so feeble he's be easy to manipulate.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Torael_7 posted:

I dumped mine awhile back and only have the ones that are worth actually keeping in eBook form now. :woop:

Same here. I took my original VHS copies and all the books to the Salvation Army. Hopefully someone else will enjoy them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I guess I don't quite understand why people are treating the VHS tapes like such a big deal. There's no way they look better than the non-anamorphic laserdisc rips present on the 2006 DVDs, on top of being bloody VHS (who even still has a VCR?) in the first place and will erode in quality as time goes on anyway.

Correct. Has anyone here actually watched a VHS on an HDTV? It looks awful.

My wife LOVES the 1963 version of the Incredible Journey and it has never been released on DVD since it was remade as Homeward Bound in the early 90s.

I ripped a copy since the VCR is no longer part of my setup but the quality is just awful. It reminds me of those films (yes, actual reel to reel films) from the 60s that we had to watch in health class.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

urseus posted:

I have lots of original series kenner figures and vehicles (ywings bwings atats etc)
Some rare figures like atamanana? And coins and just normal stuff, all loose.

What's the best way to offload all this stuff for cash? I don't really want to go through searching and researching worth etc. Just eBay a list of it all or sell piecemeal? Or should I take to a collector shop perhaps?

I had to do this years ago when I moved out of the US. The best way I found was the sell the while lot to one person or dealer.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I don't remember (thank god!) watching the holiday special when it originally aired but I can tell you the exact spot I was standing, the clothes I was wearing, what I had for lunch that day, and the exact feeling of excitement I had when I first saw Fett on the back of an action figure package. I could not cut out my UPC codes fast enough.

I can also tell you the exact details of the day he arrived in the mail and the huge sad feeling I got after ripping open the box only to find a letter stating that because of safety concern his rocket backpack would not actually fire. If Lucas made a special edition of my life, I would have said, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Because of that I knew the name Boba Fett before I ever saw in in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Derek Dominoe posted:

If memory serves, Yoda mostly drops that syntax (along with the persistent giggles) after revealing his identity to Luke. It struck me as part of the character he was playing to test Luke. Of course, the PT is stupid and goes back to using it constantly and awkwardly.

Yoda posted:

Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.

also

Yoda posted:

Decide you must, how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered.

RE: the poster, at least Jar Jar isn't on it.