Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Everyone thinks she is though, and I'm pretty sure she hasn't been in any other EU work. Kind of the same thing.

Booster Terrik knows. And potentially Kre'fey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some people don't like it because it follows Biowares traditional storyline like with their other RPG games.

Traditional Bioware storyline, traditional Bioware NWN world setup, traditional Bioware side-characters, "old-timey" spin on Star Wars pen and paper RPG supplement material, terrible terrible Dark Side options except for some stuff near the end.

Good parts: HK-47, and the twist because that kind of twist was relatively unexpected and exciting then instead of just de rigueur.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Wait what? I can't find this on Youtube. Did he actually do this?

In the "remastered" ROTJ after the second Death Star explodes and they do the Ewok bonfire stuff it goes through a montage of celebrations on different plants seen in the movies. On Naboo you can clearly hear a gungan screaming "WEESA FREE!!!!!" making that the final spoken line in the entire 6 movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Or maybe Naboo isn't really his home planet.

In any case, the whole point of blockading Naboo was to give him, already a very popular senator, enough backing to push Valorum out of the Chancellor position.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Indiana Jones and the Multimedia Empire

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The Jag thing is pretty much almost as bad as the Daala thing, because up till the moment where Daala was named Chief of State Jag was basically a fighter jock. Then he gets named to the head of the Imperial Remnant Moff Council.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
"Readable", but you'd have to be some kind of broken in the head to write Dark Nest.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Daala has also hosed some random senator and Boba Fett. You wish I were kidding.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

I think a better question is why Vader's helm has to be put on him like that if he can clearly hold his own head.

Originally, I always thought his limbs were so damaged and the armor so restrictive he couldn't raise his arms past the shoulderpads...

Darth McCain?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Nucleic Acids posted:

And what is it with Fandalorians and right-wing politics

Like I've said repeatedly in here, there's a very strong correlation between great white male stereotypes (special forces, lone warriors, etc.) and wing-nuts.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

Who knew that a series that is literally BLACK AND WHITE about Evil and Good would pander to people who have a simplistic view of morality and the world?

Next you'll tell me theforce.com forums are full of religious fundamentalists.

Tell me more about Mandalorians.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
"Where's Chewie in this book?"
"Oh uh, he's away, visiting family, from the Star Wars holiday special"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't Luke say "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

Why does it matter?

(It still works if you consider that in a comparison between the two, Luke didn't have a "real" mother)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Can someone tell me what the image was for shadows of the empire in the op? Its not working.

Probably the commissioned artwork of Leia kneeing Prince Xizor in the family jewels.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Epi Lepi posted:

MMOs all suck so you're not really saying anything new. Bioware makes good poo poo so I would hope that TOR will continue that trend, but there's no such thing as a good MMO so who knows.

Actually, Bioware pretty much just makes the same poo poo. They're getting pretty well practiced at it by now.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The RotS novelization gave things for me to enjoy about the prequels. Too bad the post-NJO EU is doing all it can to quash all of them. That's pretty much why I haven't even cracked FotJ:Outcast.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Captain von Trapp posted:

And what he actually did was pretend to choose the first option while actually doing his best to arrange a rescue - which is a whole lot easier to do while not rotting in a cell because you didn't tell Darth Vader you'd cooperate.

Note that he also managed to do it from right under the noses of Vader, Fett, and the entire Super Star Destroyer Executor. (STAR DREADNOUGHT YOU PHILISTINE)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

tin can made man posted:

To be fair, I never saw Neimodians as being asian stereotypes. Their whole style and aesthetic (flowing robes, ornate headdresses, evil robots, etc) is mean to evoke a sort of pulpy "Ming the Merciless" feel. It just probably never occurred to Lucas that the writers of Flash Gordon may not have been the most racially sensitive lot, so he did very little to modify the archetype.

Ming the Merciless was pretty much an offensive asian stereotype.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man it's so obvious Obi-Wan is Luke's real father.

"Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

"He told me enough! He told me you killed him!"

"YEP"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Even though Midichlorians get a lot of poo poo I think this was evidence from the beginning that Force Sensitivity is partially genetic. Vader was a powerful Force user so his son is by proxy. Obi Wan and Yoda seem to agree on that, even with yoda's "No, there is another" it implies Luke is super special even among people who can use The Force.

Midi-chlorians were a lovely explanation for Force-use that did not satisfactorily address any of the three areas the Force had to do with:

1) genetic disposition to Force-sensitivity
2) mental attributes related to Force-sensitivity
3) "luminous creatures are we, not this crude matter" and the Force-user's ability to vanish into the Force upon death

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 29, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The Sun?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Azzmo posted:

Why are you guys still reading that tripe? Going through the spoilers makes the general plot seem significantly worse than a good chunk of the fan fiction I used to read. Are they dead loving serious with ANOTHER force using planetoid, a Cthulu analogue and actually continuing to write Daala as if she was the leader of the Alliance? That should have been retconned with an apologyto the readers in the book subsequent to the last LotF novel.

What happened to you, EU? This must be what it's like to see your child grow up to be a meth head.

They still have an escape hatch! They could declare the last few series through Dark Nest to be entirely a meta crazy vision by Abeloth, then Pellaeon shows up and blasts the poo poo out of Abeloth and then all the heroes ride off into the sunset.

Also, killing Kenth Hamner is like the most blatant and weakest "poo poo got real" moment since uh he's pretty much never been given any characterization. Ever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

What would've been a better way to name the clone? Calling him Luke's Clone every sentence would've been wordy.

Lucas :D

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

30 Second Artbomb posted:

Lightsaber tonfa? Check, though considering the short blade length and how it's basically a regular shoto with an extra handle on it I fail to fully understand your objection.

Uh, well, see that second picture? That's pretty much the same objection we have to the dual wield reverse grip.

Basically, Brandon Sanderson has the perfect description of how lightsabers would have to be used in practical combat--the Shardblades in The Way of Kings have nearly the same properties in terms of care and use.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 6, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
To me that's actually one of the good things the prequels did. I actually pretty much despise the idea that Palpatine kept around dark Jedi lackeys that was introduced in the early EU.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Nucleic Acids posted:

Actually, it was another member of Yoda's species who killed a random Dark Jedi inside the cave, and whose blood seeped into the ground.

It was a Zahn book which introduced the basic story outline, featuring Yoda during or around the Clone Wars.

Then some total loving tool took that outline and stuck it into the prehistory.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

As I recall, it's because one of the ROTS deleted scenes from the ending had Yoda landing on Dagobah, and the script said something like "Yoda looks at the strange surroundings." So the guy in charge of LFL continuity made a giant stretch and decided that because the area was "strange" to Yoda it meant he had never been anywhere on Dagobah before in his life.

:argh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sombrerotron posted:

To be fair, VotF ended with the revelation that Thrawn was seriously concerned about whatever was lurking out in the Unkown Regions, providing a good setup for a new series of books. So, of course, they decided to capitalise on this by trotting out the Yuuzhan Vong, a species straight out of a Star Trek/Babylon 5 crossover fan fiction story.

I'm pretty sure Zahn already knew the NJO series was in the works when he was writing the Hand of Thrawn books, so he directed his books in about as good a direction as they could have gone, with finally wrapping up the war with the Imperial Remnant (an honorable peace, etc.), opening up some of the Unknown Regions, tossing out some foreshadowing via Mara's vision at the very end, FINALLY WRECKING the overused Bothan/Fey'lya politics bullshit, etc. The only thing that was terrible with the duology was that somebody decided the New Republic's Chief of State was literally a chicken.

And then they made Borsk Fey'lya the next Chief of State.

quote:

And who in the Maker's name thought it was a good idea to dredge up Daala - quite possibly the most incompetent and irrelevant antagonist in the entire New Republic series - and put her in charge of the galaxy? The mind boggles.
I don't know if he started it, but Kevin J. Anderson (the horrible man who invented Daala, incidentally) will always be the main culprit for me regarding abuse of the Force. In Anderson's hands it became The Ultimate Plot Device, capable of accomplishing absolutely anything in order to serve the most diabolically absurd and stupid purposes.

I totally hate the TotJ comics for that, because basically everything is a Force Deus ex Machina. Also the Sith Alchemy and Sith Sorcery poo poo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

XJ-7 X-wings are a lot different than the original Incom T-65s.

About the only difference I know of between the two is that they painted the XJ-7 ones all black, like my soul, when I cut myself I bleed but I won't die.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think the logic is that because he's less organic matter the Force has less for him to be a conduit for or something lame like that since The Force can't be channeled by machines.

Judge Yoda by his size, do you?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
A reminder that originally Irek Ismaren was supposed to be (another one of) Emperor Palpatine's love-child.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Star Wars Motherfucking Rebellion.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cheesus posted:

I'm not sure why you're ignoring the Dark Empire series which kicked off the current EU in the early 90s. The idea of the Emporer being back because he can clone himself at will? The idea of Luke joining him to "understand" what his father went through? That's like a poo poo in the mouth the original trilogy right there.

And yet the take-away theme and message of the Dark Empire run was more on-point than basically anything else in the entirety of EU and especially the modern poo poo. And for the most part (excepting the weird rear end proportions) I loved the art.

stawk Archer posted:

I would have been a lot less annoyed if they didn't quote themselves from the movies so much. It wasn't very likely that they actually would have remembered saying those lines while running from the bad guys.
Having bizarre enemies is a good thing and keeps with the originals. The way the movies worked was that it had normal people (and their non-human but definitely good friends) against a hostile and freakish universe or the opposite: the sterile, lifeless, hopeless, monochromatic empire. I think they tried to mix these elements when making Thrawn's henchmen and the wizard. I really didn't like the whole thing about the force making the battle go one way or another because of the user. It's another one of those instances of the mystique being taken away and the force becoming more like an app.

My main problem is that they won't let the characters move on. It's like they're stuck in some sort of purgatory of space adventures, or that they are like comic book characters. A good writer wouldn't need to squeeze water out of a rock like this, so that whole thing about source material is kind of true. Still you'd think that there would be enough $ and interest to get a good writer or writing team. Instead you expect me to believe that Wedge is the ultimate badass just because he was in both OT space battles.

Not all of your post is dealing with failings of the Thrawn trilogy though. Zahn legitimately tried to move the story forwards in terms of characters and arcs, with mostly minor callbacks to the original movies. It's not his fault people like KJA and Troy Denning etc. took all of that and trampled it into the ground.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 5, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gammatron 64 posted:

Not all movies, just most big budget blockbusters. On occasion you get stuff that's brilliant, like District 9 and TDK (though District 9 didn't have a big Hollywood budget). Remakes are as old as cinema, but 96% of movies today are remakes. Yeah, they'd have remakes and sequels, but never this much. Yeah, it's a sign of the downturn in the economy and the fact that Hollywood doesn't want to take risks, but I want to see something new. And it bugs me seeing Hollywood poo poo all over old favorites.

Honestly, when I think about it, this isn't a result of me being "old and bitter". I was born in '87. There were probably tons of lovely movies in the '80s and early '90s, but nobody remembers them. Everybody just remembers the ones that were great. The crap was lost in time... like tears in rain. Although, I don't think there are nearly as many memorable films from the last decade.

No, it's you LOOKING "old, bitter, and stupid". You're posting while myopic and lacking perspective.

Edit: This is ground that is continuously re-tread in various Cinema Discusso threads and the consensus is that there is no real significant difference between [current decade] and [past decade] in terms of re-treads, re-makes, poo poo releases, etc. Same with video games.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 7, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I think we covered all the other good Star Wars games. TFU, Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, KOTOR, Imperial Commando, all of that stuff. I've never actually played Tie Fighter or Dark Forces. Are there any good ways to play them now? LucasArts doesn't seem to have any concern about making their classic games available or even updating them. Shadows of the Empire could be a great remake.

Best bet on Tie Fighter is a gamepad emulated joystick in dosbox. Dark Forces, dosbox as well--but there is a demo of a Dark Forces mod out for Jedi Academy that has the first 3(?) levels which are fairly well done.

http://darkforces.jediknight.net/index2.shtml

I'd thought the mod was defunct, but apparently there was an update with more screenies as late as last October, so hey :toot:

Dark Forces can be somewhat unbearable, it's stuck at a hideously low resolution and can be pretty unplayable, especially if you're used to source ports smoothing out sprites and doing high-res stuff for games like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, or especially fixing control schemes.

DarkXL may be mostly functional at this point, I don't know yet.

edit: sounds like it's nearly feature complete as of last November :toot:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 8, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sombrerotron posted:

I've been waiting for over a month now for that jerk to post the beta. Hurry up already !! :mad:

Haha, I just popped over to the news forum for DarkXL and saw the cocktease threads from last month :argh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

What's the source for this?

Also, Lego Star Wars is awesome :colbert: It's really :spergin: to bitch about canon when it comes to Lego Star Wars. It's fun! Why hate fun! :(

Games should have no impact upon "canon". There, I said it. gently caress TFU.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Literal, walking, Force deus ex machinas and red herring villain plots made up to sound profound don't really do anything for me, sorry!

And for every TIE Fighter there's a dozen video games with lovely implications like crystal healing methods imbuing Force sensitivity or whatever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Nerds. ^^^

(Also, if you think space-blackpeople representation is bad, think about space-asians. We got that one pilot dude, and then Neimoidians.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's pretty much the reason I haven't even cracked open the FotJ books. Troy Denning, you did it, you (and Karen Traviss) managed to do what George Lucas and Kevin J. Anderson could not and made me stop spending money on the Star Wars franchise.