Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I feel like those of you who haven't seen the Clone Wars series (the ongoing on Cartoon Network) really should watch it. It starts off slow, but it really does turn into Star Wars.

I love it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Drighton posted:

Am I missing something? I didn't know George was such a Stewart fan. I do recall Mr. Lucas being on TDS and Jon holding his composure to keep his inner fanboy at bay.

Its funny and sad what Star Wars has become.

"Mr Lucas, we need a name for the new Sith Lord."
*looks around room* "...Skyv Odka."
"And his home planet?"
*scans desk* "...Altoid." *continues counting money*

The saddest/funniest thing about that is that 'Skyv Odka' is totally a Star Wars-y name

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I think slugthrowers aren't used anymore because stuff like Stormtrooper armour and personal shielding pretty much renders them useless

quote:

The most obvious function of the armor was protection against weapons fire and battlefield hazards. The armor, and the body glove worn beneath, were designed to disperse the energy of a blaster bolt and insulate the wearer, lessening injury. Although standard armor lacked the durability to make the wearer immune to cannon fire, it could deflect low, medium, and high blaster bolts,but it would take about 3 shots to kill the trooper .

It also deflected stun beams, and served as protection against explosions and shrapnel. It was almost impossible to kill a stormtrooper with a slugthrower unless the bullet was abnormally large, specifically armor piercing, or if it hit the body glove or visor. Although this armor provided less protection from blaster weapons than Phase I and Phase II armor, it offered superior protection from the elements.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If your opponents (the Rebels in this instance) have no effective way of fighting your massive armoured walker, then it's not inefficient at all.

AT-ATs, like the Death Star, are a terror weapon--not a weapon that the super strategy minded Generals would build if they had their way.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Harrison Ford could step in to play Han Solo deep in the EU and not miss a beat.

I would kill so many things to see this.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Rochallor posted:

I was just thinking and I can't think of a single thing that would have to be changed if Threepio was written out of the PT entirely.

Oops, you said PT. Nevermind! :shobon:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

There's something that's always confused me about Episode III: what's with the Emperor's cloak of non-reverberating voice?
Seriously, his voice echos all over the place, then he puts on the hood, and it's like someone flipped a switch.

The story about this is that Ian McDiarmid's voice was pretty much shot from shooting the screaming lines, but they had to stick to the shooting schedule, so they just modulated his voice in post.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tensokuu posted:

I guess it's almost too much to ask for an awesome new Star Wars game, isn't it? I mean something they put time and effort into that Lucas doesn't just poo poo all over?

I'm convinced that, since Lucasarts hasn't made a flight sim since X-Wing Alliance, they actually literally hate their fans.

In short, their next game should be a flight sim. I honestly, truly and fully do not understand why they haven't made a new one--for god's sake the video game media almost unanimously consider Tie Fighter to be one of the best games ever made.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

arioch posted:

Probably the commissioned artwork of Leia kneeing Prince Xizor in the family jewels.

or it could be something creepy from the 'Shadows' graphic novel

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Der Luftwaffle posted:

To be fair it's more than just her but this season has still been incredibly boring.

Yeah this season has had almost no good action at all, it really sucks.

Star Wars, people, Star Wars

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Speaking of cannon fodder, are the Stormtroopers supposed to be clones? It can't be coincidence that they look like the Clone Troopers from the prequel trilogy. If they are clones, it adds a bit of :psyduck: factor as they are such poor shots and die so easily, unless the Empire decided to take shortcuts with the cloning process, making copies of copies and we all know that copying a copy results in an even more inferior copy.

Some of the Stormtroopers are clones, not all

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

NeonTurtle posted:

I own the Trivial Pursuit game. No one will play with me after I answered 17 questions in a row the first time we played.

Yeah no one plays me around here, either :(

Also since the one I have came out before Episode 1 was released, but during the time it was being made, there's an entire prequel category with a ton of really gimmicky questions about obscure crew members and script writing and whatnot.

There is a pretty cool (and huge) trivia thing I saw at Borders about a week ago, though. It was one of those where all the questions are numbered and you type the number into the little computery-bit. Some of them are pretty rough.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Just a couple more points. Considering it only took the Rebels ONE battle to take out the Death Star, chances are the Empire wouldn't be frothing at the mouth spend more time and resources to build another one when the first paid little dividends. Again, I say this from the viewpoint of someone in the galaxy.

I also don't think your comparison of Space Politics to our own government. Obama would have a tough time getting into the kind of power Palpy had. So much that it is cartoonish to imagine it happening. It's not like Obama can lead a Civil War against himself to gain more power. The whole thought is retarded.

And the whole thing about the storm troopers and Uncle Owen is an isolated case, at least I would think so. It's not like the troops just went in and hosed them up for no reason. These people were hiding information that was a threat to national security, its not like they were just minding their own business, at least not in the eyes of the Empire. Not saying I agree with the methods used, but I don't think you can use that as evidence for other atrocities.

Hey dude you know you're playing apologist for literal space nazis right?

(But really though, 'TIE Fighter' is really one of the best games ever, and I'm a sucker for the Imperial hardware)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

That DICK! posted:

I specifically remember one of the SWG loading screens mentioning that Vader was viewed as a "hero" by the general Empire-fearing populace.

And probably viewed as the biggest rear end in a top hat son of a bitch ever by everyone in the Imperial military

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I never saw that ANH scene as implying that Tarkin had any formal power or authority over Vader. Just that Tarkin honestly isn't phased by Vader and was sick of him showing off by killing his officers, and Vader wasn't really pissed off enough at the admiral to kill him in the first place, just putting a little fear of the Force into him.

Tarkin literally ordered Vader to "release him". That's not the way you talk to a peer.

Plus Leia, a gal who would know, said Tarkin was "holding Vader's leash". She saw them together and, because of past experiences, must've assumed there was someone in command over Vader.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

KaosFactor posted:

Didn't Piette crash in to the Death Star?

No, an A-Wing crashed into him

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

There really is no depth to the Star Wars rabbit hole

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Really? I thought David Prowse did a great job of conveying that moment of indecision through what was basically a gas mask. His body language; up until that moment Vader had always stood tall and straight, imposing and indestructible. In that moment, his shoulders are slumped and his head down. He looks tired and unsure of himself for the first time in the whole trilogy. That coupled with the fact that his armour, always gleaming and perfect, is scuffed and dull really sold me on the moment.

Yeah, this. Adding the "NOOO" absolutely ruins Prowse's acting, and that entire scene. It's much more powerful with just the glances and then the sort of "gently caress it" conviction.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Anyone else planning on getting Revan?

I read the preview bit on Amazon and I'm pretty sure I liked it. Although at this point I would start doing heroin if it had anything to do with SWTOR

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I just finished 'Revan', and if you care about the lore in SWTOR at all, I'd highly suggest reading it.

However it ties up KOTOR 1 and 2 in ways fans only of the games might not like, and since they're in a book now, they're canon.

For instance, The Exile is now named and is a major character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ryloth's Moff in 'Lords of the Sith' is also a no-big-deal gay character