Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

The Fear posted:

LP's aren't anchors without the big ol tops on em mine is a special it's not bad. I have an epi lp as well with a top on it and it's heavy as balls.

This is true. My 50s tribute is pretty light (7lbs) which is the same as my gretsch 5422t, but my telecaster is 8. I have a coworker who just bought a 70s gold top LP and its got to be 10+. Its comically heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

landgrabber posted:

i have the stupidest relationship with my amp where every time i go to move it i’m like “i doubt this will be that bad, i’ve moved (other heavy thing)”

and then it actually is that bad

do not tell me to get a tiny modeling amp i am in a band with other people who are loud and i currently live in a house and in jazz band i bring my own amp for gigs and we don’t have a PA

What do you have now that sucks to move? I have a 5150 2x12 combo that absolutely sucks to move anywhere. After using that for a couple of years I switched to a head and 4x12 cab setup that kind of sucks, but it's not nearly as bad. Of course you should always put casters on whatever it is you end up using.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

dxt posted:

What do you have now that sucks to move? I have a 5150 2x12 combo that absolutely sucks to move anywhere. After using that for a couple of years I switched to a head and 4x12 cab setup that kind of sucks, but it's not nearly as bad. Of course you should always put casters on whatever it is you end up using.

a 2x12 hot rod deville III.

realistically the best solution (easiest and cheapest) is just a $30 folding hand truck

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dxt posted:

My Sovtek mig100 is the worst. The head itself is like ... 80lbs and all the weight is on one end so trying to carry it sucks. I play it through an old Carvin 2x12 British cab that weighs around 40lbs.

I've never understood combos (especially tube) that are bigger than a 1x12.

As much as I love tube amps, I like the idea of modular modeling stuff and I'm not even a working musician or anybody who plans to play out of my house.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
unless you're playing jazz with the reincarnation of art blakey, a 100W katana gets more than loud enough.

one of my old guitarists used to wheel his cab around on a longboard, good alternative to a handcart if you have one already.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
We used to make 100 watt 212 combos on special order. Unsurprisingly it wasn't a very popular model and it had custom woodwork for the transformers to clear the speakers, so we killed it off. The 50 is still a severe lift going on for 40kg.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

landgrabber posted:

realistically the best solution (easiest and cheapest) is just a $30 folding hand truck

That’s a good idea.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

We had a 2x12 deville in one of the practice rooms/studios when I was in college. That thing weighed a ton and from what I remember had an insane design for how the knobs were ordered on top. It did sound lovely though if you just wanted a single barely driven guitar playing by itself, kind of the perfect "I'm using an electric kind of like an acoustic" tone.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
The first piece of the Squier upgrades arrived:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There's a strat Hitmaker and it's $2.6k.

I'll be over here yearning if you need me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Sometimes you just wanna complain about guitar, not everything needs a solution. Like I'm a big dumb dumb that kind of wants to get a combo of some kind, like an idiot. Can I play a combo in my place? Absolutely not. I'm in the middle townhouse of three, and altho the neighbours won't hear poo poo (the townhouses are stupidly well insulated, being outside and hearing the volume my neighbours play music at is deafining, walk inside and it's like the volume of someone's headphones up loud) my housemates will. And I like them too much to do that.

Then again, one housemate wants to pick up bass again. And my girlfriend and two friends want to learn instruments, of which I have many. So maybe I will grab small combos at some stage...

Also the realisation that between one of the girls having learned drums, my housemate learning bass, and having guitars it's gonna be wild if I end up with an all trans femme band lmao

Anyway, I want a AC30 or Supro Jupiter or something was where I was going originally.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

syntaxfunction posted:

an all trans femme band lmao

Sounds like destiny is knocking

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

syntaxfunction posted:

gonna be wild if I end up with an all trans femme band lmao

I think the name LMAO is taken

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Pondex posted:

Sounds like destiny is knocking

GLOSS is really good

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Verman posted:

I too want a resonator at some point but it's low on the list, but I feel like I would just leave it out of a case and play it the most frequently.

I love how this guy's resonator sounds and also it's just a cool little cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ye0EdCRgA

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just wanna roll in to say I’m really digging getting back into guitar and my teacher. Learning stuff that I would never focus on by myself and having really organised and structured lessons is awesome.

Guitar owns, a good teacher owns. :allears:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Just wanna roll in to say I’m really digging getting back into guitar and my teacher. Learning stuff that I would never focus on by myself and having really organised and structured lessons is awesome.

Guitar owns, a good teacher owns. :allears:

Awesome. How did you find a teacher? I've been thinking about taking lessons again but never sure how to look for instructors

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Booyah- posted:

Awesome. How did you find a teacher? I've been thinking about taking lessons again but never sure how to look for instructors

Yeah I asked the same question in here a few weeks back. I just googled around and found this guy’s website.

It was quite comprehensive to the point of almost putting me off but he made good points in his teaching methodologies.

He did a ‘free’ kind of test lesson thing which I thought was good as you’ll need to kind of get along to make it work I reckon.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I took me a few weeks to gel with my current teacher - I think he's a lot more used to teaching absolute beginners, rather than people who knew a little then didntvplay for years so have kind of patchy skills and knowledge, but we got working on tightening up my rhythm playing and now we're working on songs which is really fun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think there's just googling for lessons in your area or if you are near a guitar/music store check in there for a notice board or business cards. I found mine via PMT in Romford, he's been playing since he was about 10, has been around as a session guy and, perhaps unsurprisingly given where he's based is acquainted with the lads from Iron Maiden (Nicko told him to gently caress off because he didn't know anything about golf)

It's been going great, maybe it's partially a change in myself since I last tried but it's going a lot better and I'm picking up theory instead of mimicking songs. Also had some hardware and setup help, might be getting help switching the tuners on my Jag.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

I took me a few weeks to gel with my current teacher - I think he's a lot more used to teaching absolute beginners, rather than people who knew a little then didntvplay for years so have kind of patchy skills and knowledge, but we got working on tightening up my rhythm playing and now we're working on songs which is really fun.

Last guy I took lessons from was similar - assumed I'd never touched a guitar in my life and was kind of out of sorts when I played through major scales and was asking questions about modes and stuff. I ended up dropping him after a while because of work scheduling but also he was a rock player who'd never listened to Thin Lizzy and, I mean, c'mon.

I really need to find another teacher. I've asked around music stores a little bit but it seems like a lot of people gave up teaching during covid and never went back. It seems like its tough to find teachers with compatible musical taste that get what kind of stuff I want to learn, just a bunch of jazz and blues rock dudes or hair metal shredders.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Last guy I took lessons from was similar - assumed I'd never touched a guitar in my life and was kind of out of sorts when I played through major scales and was asking questions about modes and stuff. I ended up dropping him after a while because of work scheduling but also he was a rock player who'd never listened to Thin Lizzy and, I mean, c'mon.

I really need to find another teacher. I've asked around music stores a little bit but it seems like a lot of people gave up teaching during covid and never went back. It seems like its tough to find teachers with compatible musical taste that get what kind of stuff I want to learn, just a bunch of jazz and blues rock dudes or hair metal shredders.

I don't think I'll be with my current guy forever - he's a session musician with a good ear, but he was upfront that he's not a theory guy and could recommend people if that's what I wanted. At this point, he's improving my rhythm, technique and confidence and pushing me a bit, so I'm happy.

I feel the music taste thing though. I did online lessons with Dylan Baldi from Cloud Nothings for a bit during lockdown and I don't think I'll get that lucky again, but I think it was a good exercise for me to play some AC/DC or Stones riffs with my current guy and rock out a bit rather than try and find what tuning an Archers of Loaf song is in or whatever.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Teachers have to know their theory unless they're strictly tutoring real beginners (and yes there are a significant number of that type too) so by default they're more likely to be into something complicated like jazz or shred than doom or indie.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

darkwasthenight posted:

Teachers have to know their theory unless they're strictly tutoring real beginners (and yes there are a significant number of that type too) so by default they're more likely to be into something complicated like jazz or shred than doom or indie.

There's quite a few different genres of music that are technically advanced that don't fall under jazz, blues/blues rock, or 80s shred though. Im just surprised that with the modern resurgence of high level virtuoso playing that the majority of teachers I've seen seem to think music stopped getting made in like 1991

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

landgrabber posted:

That would explain it, 2x12 tube combos are such a bad idea for anything that needs to be moved around.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Verman posted:

As much as I love tube amps, I like the idea of modular modeling stuff and I'm not even a working musician or anybody who plans to play out of my house.

This is why I'm probably going to sell my DSL40CR - I bought it because I figured it was a better idea than buying pedals to try to turn my Princeton into a Marshall, but I live in an apartment and ultimately just play through my HX Stomp 99% of the time. Thankfully I bought it before the price increases (and with a discount), so I might not even lose money on the sale. I'm keeping the Princeton because there are times when I don't feel like playing with headphones on, but I've also tamed it with an attenuator (Swart Night Light Jr) and a less efficient speaker (WGS Veteran 10).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

David Gilmour is funky.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

have you guys ever used like facebook groups or even craigslist to find a specific kind of teacher who will meet you halfway and be willing to teach less conventional stuff or just nurture your own interests and style?

I feel like i might have more luck with this living in LA, or otherwise just try to ask friends or friends friends

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

There's quite a few different genres of music that are technically advanced that don't fall under jazz, blues/blues rock, or 80s shred though. Im just surprised that with the modern resurgence of high level virtuoso playing that the majority of teachers I've seen seem to think music stopped getting made in like 1991

Young musicians still have hope they'll be paid for their playing and charisma. Teaching is where your dreams go to die.

Jokes aside, it's just cultural stuff trickles down slowly and successful teachers are likely to be older. Can't help but think if I was ten years younger and had the technique and theory to be teaching I'd be running a niche genre lessons YT channel instead of doing it in person too.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

We had a 2x12 deville in one of the practice rooms/studios when I was in college. That thing weighed a ton and from what I remember had an insane design for how the knobs were ordered on top. It did sound lovely though if you just wanted a single barely driven guitar playing by itself, kind of the perfect "I'm using an electric kind of like an acoustic" tone.

yeah it's a great sounding amp that i've learned to coax sounds i like out of. i also like the look of it more than most amps... marshalls that are all big and gold can be a bit garrish imo.

it's a great amp for doing the fake acoustic like, clean strat neck pickup thing, without a lot of glassiness. if you just want something that feels a little more acoustic, or goes well with an acoustic.

it's really not that big a deal because gigs are infrequent.

at rehearsals, i just plug into the school's practice amp, but we have two jazz guitar players, and the signals tend to compress each other. so i just bring my own amp to gigs so a) i can own that motherfucker, he sucks and he used to hit on my sister all the time in high school and b) i can remove that complication sound wise.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

why do they tell you to cut off the old strings? It doesn't really speed up the process for me, and its easier to dispose of the old strings when they are uncut.

Following up on this post from last year! When i made this post in late 2021, i had just finished changing my acoustic guitar's strings by carefully unwinding and removing the old ones instead of cutting them. Then i put the strings in a baggie and put them away, presumably to recycle them later.

Yesterday, one of my electric guitars had a broken E string (the smallest one). I was unprepared -- I didn't have a change of strings on hand! But I found those used strings from last year and used my needle-nose pliers to wind the used E string onto the guitar's tuning peg. The used acoustic string is an 11, and the string I'm replacing was a 10 -- close enough. I wasn't expecting this to work out, but the used string was just barely long enough for this to work, and it tuned up just fine. It's still playing in tune today!

Well, that's my used guitar string story. Has anyone else ever reused a guitar string like this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Meandering and quasi-effort post here, so appreciate all of your efforts to follow my stream of consciousness here.

Last year due to some life stuff (positive stuff though!) I took some time off of Guitar which prior to was taking regular lessons with an instructor. I was making good progress on my fundamentals and able to play several songs, although just a single part like rhythm or melody, etc. I kept finding it difficult to get into the groove and felt like I was just doing rote memorization and not attaching myself to the instrument.

This spring the studio I was taking lessons at previously advertised a weekly Blues and Brews group class where they got ~6 adults together, someone bringing the beers, and they taught us how to play as an ensemble. The host was the owner of the place, different than my old teacher.

These 8 weeks were transformational for my guitar journey. With so many people playing at once, it was not reasonable for everyone to play the same chord at the same position on the neck. So he taught us how to play all over the fretboard and a bit of music theory too. I finally understood what built a fifth, minor and major thirds were and how to locate the on the neck.

We were then introduced to playing in keys (focused on Em/G) and my mind was blown at how easy it was to find notes to play melody on in very simple and logical patterns. It was sufficiently more blown when those patterns still existed but shifting up a fret or two when moving from one key to the next in the distance between them. Boom, what?

Applying all of this was an absolute blast. 1-2 of us would play the power chords in the progression, while 1-2 others would play the minor thirds on the higher strings to fill the full chord. Then we’d rotate turns playing the melody while soloing over the scale in the key.

I had issues keeping proper rhythm in the past as I had no reference point. With all of the other players in the room we were all keeping ourselves in time and it was so cool getting into the groove and expressing myself and experimenting with the lead. Then bouncing back to supporting the rhythm while someone else stepped forward into that spot. So so so cool.

I THINK the key thing that I learned here is that in my journey, I need to be a part of an ensemble to see the whole picture, then so many of my other issues fall away when I have the piece in context.

To support this, I picked up a looper pedal this week (BOSS RC-500) with the idea that if I can’t be in a room with others, I’ll create them by laying the chord progressions and playing around with this. I am not sure how I will use this to further my journey just yet, but it seems like a decent start will be to find some YouTube tutorials of various songs for inspiration and start learning a few fun ones. I have played to some backing tracks prior and it’s a similar experience, but the hour I spent with the new pedal it seems more connected when I create the loops (and hear how awful I did and redo it until it is better). I see there are some other looper exercise videos too, will check those out. If anyone has any other suggestions I’d love to hear it, but don’t feel like I’m in front of an obstacle or anything.

No real ask of the group here, I just really felt compelled to share as the past few months have been so instrumental (hah!) to me. I feel like my goal of being able to pick up the instrument and noodle around to create something nice or familiar is so within my grasp now with these skills. Learning other keys, scales, and the notes on the neck is achievable too now. Just need to put in the work and the time.

Thanks for attending my ted talk!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Following up on this post from last year! When i made this post in late 2021, i had just finished changing my acoustic guitar's strings by carefully unwinding and removing the old ones instead of cutting them. Then i put the strings in a baggie and put them away, presumably to recycle them later.

Yesterday, one of my electric guitars had a broken E string (the smallest one). I was unprepared -- I didn't have a change of strings on hand! But I found those used strings from last year and used my needle-nose pliers to wind the used E string onto the guitar's tuning peg. The used acoustic string is an 11, and the string I'm replacing was a 10 -- close enough. I wasn't expecting this to work out, but the used string was just barely long enough for this to work, and it tuned up just fine. It's still playing in tune today!

Well, that's my used guitar string story. Has anyone else ever reused a guitar string like this?

Curious about this because for some reason a drop-shipped cheapo pedal came with a couple single acoustic strings. I thought they weren't magnetic in the right way for electric pickups?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

Curious about this because for some reason a drop-shipped cheapo pedal came with a couple single acoustic strings. I thought they weren't magnetic in the right way for electric pickups?

i can answer that one for you! the bronze wrapping on the bass acoustic guitar strings will muffle the sound thru the pickups compared to the nickel wrapping that electric guitar strings have.

But the unwrapped acoustic and electric guitar strings are exactly the same material! The only difference is that acoustic sets tend to come in heavier gauges.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I am a strict unwinder, and I keep a big box of the old strings, which I will surely recycle one of these days. All this neuroses has come in handy at least twice.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

I had issues keeping proper rhythm in the past as I had no reference point. With all of the other players in the room we were all keeping ourselves in time and it was so cool getting into the groove and expressing myself and experimenting with the lead. Then bouncing back to supporting the rhythm while someone else stepped forward into that spot. So so so cool.

I THINK the key thing that I learned here is that in my journey, I need to be a part of an ensemble to see the whole picture, then so many of my other issues fall away when I have the piece in context.

i would agree, except even an ensemble of two is sufficient to get the benefits from playing with other people!

and regarding rhythm difficulties, i had the same experience -- once i learned and sync up with another musician, my rhythm started to feel really good.

TraderStav posted:

To support this, I picked up a looper pedal this week (BOSS RC-500) with the idea that if I can’t be in a room with others, I’ll create them by laying the chord progressions and playing around with this. I am not sure how I will use this to further my journey just yet, but it seems like a decent start will be to find some YouTube tutorials of various songs for inspiration and start learning a few fun ones. I have played to some backing tracks prior and it’s a similar experience, but the hour I spent with the new pedal it seems more connected when I create the loops (and hear how awful I did and redo it until it is better). I see there are some other looper exercise videos too, will check those out. If anyone has any other suggestions I’d love to hear it, but don’t feel like I’m in front of an obstacle or anything.

i think thats a good idea, but its no replacement for another live musician. i generally don't use a looper because it's very hard for me to cut the end of the loop at the right time to avoid loving up the rhythm. But i play along to recordings a lot!

anyway im glad you found a way to play with others and that you got a lot out of the experience!

EDIT: thinking some more about looper pedal work, i see everyone else having fun with the looper pedals, but I haven't been able to make it work. But why can't I just cut my loops in my DAW? That way I can adjust everything to sound tight -- gotta give this a try... 🤔

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 3, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh for sure, nothing I said above spoke in absolutes but were replacements when not practical. As an over 40 year old guy with two jobs and three kids, not really easy to get together with other humans. The more I can I will but in between those times I think this is a strong substitute from where I was before!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for attending my ted talk!

this is great! playing in an ensemble is a nice experience. you don’t have to play a ton of complex stuff so you can focus on blending and groove. love to hear it

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Rare new guitar day for me, this is the Firefly FFPR (means: PRS clone) with humbuckers and a 25" scale length! Sounds really good so far, but I will likely want to replace the pickups, as is per usual with this brand of guitar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I cut my strings into small lengths and feed em to pigeons ROCK N ROLL