Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!
I came across this site http://www.justinguitar.com/ and so far it's been great in helping me learn to play. For any newbies out there he does a good job of getting you learning to play through a series of YouTube video lessons. He even has practice sessions broken out recommending the best way to use your practice time. Maybe something good to toss in the OP for those who want to learn but don't have the resources for private lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

dross eater posted:

I didn't see a bass specific thread so I thought I would post this here.

I need another hobby and I have friends that play guitar, so I thought 'Why not learn some bass and we can gently caress around in the basement'. So I need some advice on a good starter bass and amp. If I practice a lot and don't suck, I'll buy something nice in the future. I haven't set on a price range, so if you have something that worked well for you throw it out.

If it matters, my interest is in classic rock, blues, punk, and lots of metal.

Check out this thread for Bass http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2710675

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

First time posting over here, so don't beat me, I did read the OP and started on the "civilian" link that was posted, and want to bash my head into a wall after trying to figure out intervals.

I have been wanting to learn guitar for a really, really long time. I have started and stopped several times and finally just decided that I am going to do it this time. I have a couple books, but honestly nothing that I feel has a good method (they were cheapies).
I can't help you with the intervals thing, but check out https://www.justinguitar.com. I started playing about 2 months ago and it's been the central point of my learning.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

crm posted:

The guitar has 4 knobs, 1 3-way switch. I understand the switch selects between the neck and bridge pickups (or both). What I don't understand is the difference between the pickups, so

What's the difference in the neck/bridge pickups?

I know 2 of the knobs are volume for the pickups, but how does the tone change?

On the amp, there's a drive button and a drive volume, different from the normal volume? What's this drive stuff?

Sorry about all the retarded questions. You guys are awesome :D

The neck pickup is going be more mellow while the bridge pickup is a lot more edgy sounding. The difference should be very noticeable if you just strum and listen.

The tone knobs are something else you have to experiment with and listen for. It sets the bass or treble output just like on a stereo. 0 being the lowest and most bassy and 10 being the sharpest. You have one tone knob for each pickup.

The drive button is for overdrive or distortion. The buzzing is normal and the sound should be a lot more "crunchier" and loud. It's great for rock and metal.