Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

The Proc posted:

I've been slowly learning five-string banjo over the last three years and plan to buy an AL-2000 next week. Should I tune it in open G so the chord shapes and scales I know will carry over or just start learning from scratch in standard EADGBE?

Unless you plan on learning exclusively Joni or something, probably standard. Do whatever you're going to play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just want to make sure that I read the OP right. Would something like a POD be a good replacement for a cheap amp?

Pods are hands-down the best value you can get for the price in all guitar-related hardware.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Selavi posted:

If this computer runs on Windows (even moreso on W7 than XP), you're going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to get your computer to record or playback the guitar without much latency. I'm happy with Windows for just about every reason, but recording on it is frustrating.

Latency doesn't matter if you're recording. Mine is 749ms. Sonar, at least, tells you what the latency of your device is, and you can have it compensate by that (or any) amount by sliding over whatever you record. Whatever you're using, I guarantee you there is a solution.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

ChiliMac posted:

I'm not really "new" to guitar (just sucky) but I'm looking for a good midrange guitar that preferably is: a) fixed bridge (already have a tremolo guitar) b) body shaped similar to the Ibanez S-series c) not a POS...that's about it. Thus far I have only found one:

Washburn XM PRO2F:

I know there are other factors such as fret count, pickups, bridge style, neck shape, etc. If Ibanez made a fixed bridge S570 (or thereabouts) I'd probably already own it. Right now I'm literally just trying to find all my choices.

Have I found my only option? Ideas?

Does Rondo do requests?

Pre-2010 (south korean-made) Schecter C-1 Classic. Period. gently caress the rest. I've never played any manufactured guitar that comes even close to a pre-2010 Schecter, and the C-1 Classic has the fixed bridge, contoured super strat shape, and real pickups, JB bridge + Jazz or 59 neck depending on the year it was made. They also look fantastic. Mm, blue/green/burst maple top + vine inlays... But seriously, you're not asking for much and there are a zillion guitars out there that are fixed bridge/strat shape, although I wouldn't discount Telecasters because even though they're ugly as sin, they sound freakin' superb.

There's also the RGA32/42FM if you wanna stick with Ibanez, although they have garbage pickups too. Schecter is generally the best bet if you want real pickups in a midrange guitar.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 2, 2010

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Philthy posted:

Any decent guitar discussion sites out there? General, hardware, etc talk.

sevenstring.org seems to have the most consistent activity.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Korn tone isn't meaty at all. It's good, but I'd definitely consider it restrained compared to what's going on nowadays. For the most part, I find the amp drive knob to be enough, but I'm an unusual case, I think. What's your amp and guitar/pickups?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Well, the mesa/boogie model on that amp is probably fine, but I don't know if you're going to be entirely happy with a metal tone on a Strat instead of a Tele or something with humbuckers.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Is there somewhere I can read up on what exactly does what in regards to the pots and wires and crap in the pup electronics? I have no understanding of -why- this is connected to that and what it's all doing, and it makes me uncomf!

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I regard a lot of that wood stuff as handwavey generalization at best. Everything affects sustain and tone between the strings and the cab's mic, and they can all be significant. Maybe http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm will answer some questions for you, but in my experience, it's almost all in your head.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Wash your hands before you play, wipe it off after, and keep it in a case in an area with consistent temperature and humidity.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

D-Rider posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent low to mid-range guitar that comes with P-90 pickups? I've been looking to expand my tonal palette as of late, but I can't get anything out of my SG or my Jackson but screaming metal tones.

I've heard a lot of good things about Reverend guitars and their P-90 equipped axes, but they're a little out of my price range right now. I'm thinking something with a price more along the lines of a decent Squier. Thanks.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars?N=100001+304262&Ntk=All&Ntt=p-90&Nty=1

There's a Squier in there. Why P-90s specifically? Why not any single coil?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Side Effects posted:

GFS make very good pickups for amazing prices.

Those pickups may be dirt cheap, but "under 100 usd" still includes some professional or nearly professional level options.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Drifter287 posted:

So I have the opportunity to pick up a Schecter Revenger 7 string (it's the Avenger body with a reverse headstock) for pretty cheap, and I'm thinking about it. It comes with Duncan Designed pickups so obviously I'll want to change those out, but I'm not really knowledgeable about passive 7 string pick-ups. I'm in a Symphonic Black/Death metal band (shameless plug!) so I want something that's clear and balanced but high output and heavy, with decent cleans. I'm currently using a Schecter Hellraiser 7 with EMGs into a 5150 II, so I can afford to lose a little bit of output.

I have a Seymour Duncan JB and a 59 in my six string, and I love how versatile and clean sounding those pickups are. I see SD makes the JB in a 7 string version, but not the 59. Is the 7 string version pretty comprable? What would be a good pickup to pair that with? I was looking at the Bareknuckle pickups but unfortunately they're a little out of my price range.

I've only really heard bad things about the JB 7 when compared to the JB 6. For general metal, you have a ton of options with DiMarzio -- Tone Zone, D Sonic, D Activator, Blaze, Evolution, etc. For what it's worth, the Air Norton/Tone Zone combo ends up on a lot of MIJ Ibanezes for a good reason, I'd say. For mainstream heavy metal genres, you definitely don't need to blow three hundred on BKPs.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
One's six-string and one's seven-string. And just for your information, the Air Norton has a really unique, bell-like voicing, which may or may not be to one's liking. Shameless but relevant plug: http://zerosum.bandcamp.com/track/moving-on The lead straight off the bat is the Air Norton, and it almost sounds like a steel drum through that amp. You can hear it completely unamped at 3:20-ish, and in a legit double solo (duet?) at 3:58 on the left, the right side being a True Velvet/Tone Zone split, I believe it was. Basically, DiMarzio is p great at pups.

Edit: The Air Norton handles low tunings well too, so be sure to try it if you get it. There's a low G# toward the very end of that track.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Drifter287 posted:

What amp was the AN track going through? Cool song by the way; I'll have to check out the other tracks on your bandcamp.

Thanks! Both the AN and the TV/TZ leads were either DI or going through POD Silvertone '67 Twin Twelve sim (mostly the latter), so I'm sure a real amp could get a pretty poppin' sound out of 'em.

Kaiho posted:

I've got a question for you guys.

I've written a little ditty while noodling around. It's basically a little melody line. How would I go about figuring that key it's in so that I could maybe get some appropriate chords to go under it or sort a continuation/transposition without pure trial and error?

I realise I'm coming at this back-asswards but hey. Any tips you may have will be appreciated.

No, I'd say it's the more effective way to write a song. Chord progressions are more peripheral and interchangeable than a memorable melody without a doubt. Besides, you can't know which chord creates the best harmony with a lead until you try a few.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 27, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Hanpan posted:

The POD 3 looks pretty good (http://line6.com/podx3/) but I assume you need some kind of external pedal setup in order to chop and change mid song?

X3 Live.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

unpurposed posted:

I'm interested in modeling software, like Guitar Rig, on my pc. I kind of want to buy the Guitar Rig Mobile (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-mobile/).

I have a high-end computer so I'm not worried about performance, but rather whether or not the hardware in that package is good or not. Is there something at the same price (or range) that is comparable and better?

I use POD Farm (DI with the POD X3, POD Farm in Sonar) for amp sims, random free impulses in keFIR (also free) for cab sims, and SimulAnalog Suite (free again) (in addition to what POD Farm offers) for stomp boxes. Just the POD Farm alone is fantastic for bass. I tried Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and ReValver, but ended up back on this, and I want for nothing. Works pretty well for me: http://zerosum.bandcamp.com/track/love-2 Moving On is a much less satanic and crushing example if you're like indie or rock or something.

Woo, POD.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm about to put my Jackson SLSMG in Standard D. What are the best string guages to use? I normally play a standard set of 9s and the general consensus for D standard online seems to be 11-52s. Sound about right?

Yeah, that sounds fine, but it's up to you to decide what's comfortable.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Are there any other guitar forums out there worth frequenting besides sevenstring, metalguitarist, and talkbass? Preferably something not metal. I haven't found anything that comes even close in terms of activity and expertise.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Schecter makes 8 strings for 400 (Omen) and 900 (Hellraiser/Blackjack) too. ESP's (FM-408, 418) are probably around 900 as well. And Ibanez makes the RGA8 at 800. But if you're just playing sludge/stoner, tune one 6 to like G and another to C or D and you're good to go.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 13, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hmm, I expected they would since you can customize your guitars before ordering and tell them what you want. I might just end up getting a RGA8 then.

Unless you get into their biannual custom batch, no you can't. And an RGA8's stock pickups are going to be even worse than the Agile's, probably.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Kilometers Davis posted:

RG2228's price is ridiculously high for some reason.

It's no Gibson, at least! Comes down a lot on resale, too. I'd rather get a custom for the price of a new RG2228.

Agiles are good! Do it!

While we're on the topic of eight-string pickups, DiMarzio 8s:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP819-DActivator-8String-Neck-Humbucker?sku=H71541
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP820-DActivator-8String-Bridge-Humbucker?sku=H71536

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Mondrian posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a baritone guitar?

I play a lot of post-rock and post-metal and tend to use a bunch of various down-tunings, so I think a baritone is probably a good investment rather than torturing my other guitars with constant retuning and horribly low tension.

Post-metal tunes down 24.75s and 25.5s even to B. Baritones are for tech metal and surf.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Faffel posted:

However, my all-time favourite band is Opeth and they just play in standard tunings.

Opeth has been playing in DADFAD too, lately, I believe. I honesty think you can switch between E standard, drop D, and D minor on the same set of strings at will with no other adjustments, if you're just loving around at home. Someone else might know better about whether fluctuating guitar tension, even on that minor scale, threatens anything though.

smashczar posted:

For guitarists new to effects who want to try a bit of everything, it's usually recommended to get a all-in-one type thing, like a pod or bose thing right? So for something like the pod HD300 (probably overkill for first ever effects equipment?) that would run into an amp that played as clean a tone as possible so the only effects and would be generated by the board?

with amp/cab simulations on those things, are they supposed to be run into an amp with a clean sound which then gives the sound of the simulated amp, or into a recording device?

I just don't really understand how big a role something like the HD300 is trying to play and how it fits in with the rest of the gear help :shobon:

A Pod is not overkill. For guitar players, it is generally meant to simulate an entire rig, guitar -> Pod -> speakers or computer. You could use it JUST for effects, if you wanted, guitar -> Pod (with amp/cab sim bypassed) -> amp -> cab. I used it for USB recording (with great convenience) for well over a year and am only now phasing it out. It's a great tool for learning about effects and tonal variety, but it will never sound quite like a real amp because Line 6's (and everyone else except Fractal Audio's) method is fundamentally flawed. If you're a beginner who just wants to explore at home, though, a Pod is without question a good investment, but I wouldn't call it stage-worthy, unless you're a bassist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

smashczar posted:

Great, that's what I wanted to hear. If I wanted to run it through an amp AND use amp/cab simulations though, I would just use a clean setting and have all the EQ at 12 or something like that?

Just generally, are Pod-type things considered inferior/ not stage-worthy compared to proper pedalboards? I was watching john petrucci's rock discipline DVD and he has something like that that uses patches, because he mentions having them saved on his computer. But it's a custom rig so who knows what he has controlling it?

Thanks!

Why would you want to use an amp sim and a real amp at the same time? Line6 makes an only-effects pedalboard, btw.