Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
Practicing your alternate picking is more about building coordination between your hands than it is about building actual speed. I mean, a lot of guitarists can tremolo pick pretty fast without a lot of practice, but being able to put the hands together is the hard part.

One really common exercise is to practice 3 note per string scales with a metronome, starting slow and building speed gradually. Or just play chromatic scales all day. Or just isolate the fast passages in solos you want to learn and make those into exercises. The point is to get your pick hand and your fret hand to work together to play fast but also cleanly. A metronome is essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

Manky posted:

I can't be the only guy who plays Fs as essentially a modified C shape with x33211, can I?

VVVVV Yeah, if there are other barres I'll just do it "properly," but I'm still a pretty big sissy.

You could think of that as a C chord shape moved over a string (and thus up a perfect 4th, which is of course F), but it's also good to visualize is as a "daughter" of the full barre chord. The only thing you're leaving out is the bass note F on the 6th string.

It's worth noting that the shape you show is a second inversion F major shape, or F/C. Obviously, it works really well transitioning to or from a C chord.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

iostream.h posted:

Hey, you did due diligence, that's a good thing man, more than a lot of people would.

Sold a buddy a PRS CU24 10 Top Tobacco Sunburst a few years ago, some tweakers stole it and slapped a coat of beige house paint on it, pickups and all, loving assholes.

I don't know if I've cringed that hard in a long time. House paint? :stonk: