Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
Buy strap locks. These are important. Don't get pointy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
I'm not sure how to phrase this entirely and have no experience outside of standard tuning and out of tuning, but I have something I would like to try.

To preface, I learned bass first and found I could play guitar a year or two ago also. I still get thrown off on the top two strings B and E as they to me inverse the patterns I had learned to move up in scale through playing bass.

What I am interested in doing is trying to tune those two strings to follow the octave pattern of the first four. Is this a terrible idea or even an already named tuning?

Edit: Found my own answer. Perfect Fourth tuning.

mastur fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 17, 2011

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
To be honest I can't play chords. I mean, I know a few simple fret combinations that I can use wherever, I just kinda skipped to arpeggios and alt picking and soloing. I am skilled until you ask me to play chords and then I can only improvise for so long. (I am starting school to remedy this).

It has always seemed like the natural progression for me would be perfect fourth tuning as the G-B divide always slips me up, typically moving back down in scale. I also falter when I want to jump from a fret on the first four strings to one on the B and E without playing the connecting notes in between. I can never anticipate properly as it fucks up my counting scheme and counting down from the high E is usually a bit to much in the heat of the moment.

Gonna try it out soon, before I change my strings.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
I appreciate standard tuning, especially on bass. It always pisses me off when a friend drop tunes my guitar (now I have multiple guitars, not an issue).

It's highly unlikely I'll adopt as most of the stuff I play use standard tuning, but it is an idea that has always intrigued me and I'm excited to try it out and then get turned off.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
Get a pedal and break it. I have a Crybaby with some blown circuitry or something and when you plug it in it sounds like a demon blowing steam out of his rear end it is so cool.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
It is possible to play bass through a guitar amp if the volume is really low and the lows turned down.

Still not recommended.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
I would like to update and say that perfect fourth tuning is the poo poo! It was like someone slid the fretboard into the proper place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.

Popcorn posted:

I asked about this ages ago (maybe in another thread) and never got a reply.

I'm looking to develop my fingerpicking technique. I want to be able to play faster arpeggios. Right now I'm fingerpicking by keeping my little finger anchored on the guitar body and my thumb and first two fingers picking (I don't use my fourth finger at all). It lets me play stuff like this really well, but I want to be much faster. Are there any good tutorials for other techniques I could study?

I haven't read any tutorials or anything, but some things that have helped me:

I don't recommend leaving your pinkie on the guitar body. Try resting your thumb on the low E or the A string, and removing it when you need that string to sound. I also find myself resting my ring finger on one of the higher notes.

Resting your fingers on the strings you are not playing, gives you faster access to them, deadens unnecessary strings, frees your pinkie finger up for use on high notes, and from restricting your movement due to it's placement on the guitar body.

Use your ring finger and pinkie to pluck occasional high notes. You'll start to use them instinctively so that you can maneuver your first two fingers into an advantageous placement.

If you can, play your songs on a bass. the thicker strings will help build finger strength.

Also learn to take advantage of mistakes. If I miss a string, I can often kind of reverse pluck it instead by pulling my finger off of it in an upwards motion and save my rear end.