Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I've got a valvetronix, what do you want to know about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

unlawfulsoup posted:

Well, some clumsy oaf me knocked a guitar off its stand when chasing a gigantic jumping spider. Long story short, the guitar is generally fine, but the stupid switch tip broke off. It is an AL-2000 if that makes any difference. What is a a good replacement? I see lots of switches at places, but is there a brand/type worth getting over others? I can get a replacement from Rondo for like $3, but you guys probably know if something else is better.

Is the switch itself broken or just the switch tip? The tip you can just get whatever you think looks good, it's just a piece of plastic so there aren't really going to be quality differences between brands. If you need a new switch then Switchcraft is probably the highest quality switch you are going to find, but cheaper ones work just as well and I can't really think of any brands to avoid.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Whats a good multi-guitar stand that can fit at least 7 guitars (six electric, one acoustic) and wont harm nitro finishes? I want to keep my guitars out so I feel more motivated to play them. Having to dig cases out of my closet each time kinda kills the desire to play.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm nearly there in my guitar fund to get a new one, so I'm now starting to look more seriously for that "special something" that calls to me to either use for alternate tunings or to make my standard and turn my SG into the alternate.

It's basically: V vs. Les Paul .

I've always wanted a V, but in practical terms I've never played one - I know the answer is to go into a store and try one out, and I will - but I'm curious to know anyone else's opinions on V's in general.

Is always having to play in "classical" position a pain? I feel like it would help me with playing standing up which I almost never do, because it's so weird since my hand positions are all different. But, realistically I'll probably play sitting most of the time and while I currently warm up in "classical" position with an acoustic, resting my left leg on a cat scratcher, I rarely stay in position for more than 30 minutes - when I might play for 2-3 hours total.

ESP has lots of V's in a variety of ranges but the Schecter's I only really see 2, and not a single Canadian dealer in my area carries the brand:

1) a Local Demon V-1 FR ( w/ Tremolo, that I don't really care or want )
2) a Sin Quirin sig ( I'm not a big Ministry guy but it looks cool ) [now with link] https://reverb.com/item/2116423-schecter-sin-quirin-v-1-electric-guitar-satin-black-248-81544701653

I feel like the Sin one is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of the the quality you get for the price ( I've seen on Reverb from 650-800 ), but I also don't know poo poo about Schecter.

The flip side to this is that I've played a friends Les Paul and while I didn't think the shape would make much difference from my SG, something about it just feels really comfortable to play. I suppose that alone should be enough to go that route but, I've always wanted a stupidly impractically shaped guitar - like a V, warlock, or whatever.

However, I think I could be really happy with a Les Paul style and some EMG 81's or something based purely on this Devin Townsend EMGtv thing ( even though his custom is a Framus ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubJjB95VdY

Edit to further add: If it matters if someone else has a suggestion for a good V (or other impractical style), in terms of brands, I'm looking at ESP, Schecter, Epiphone ( I just can't get into Fender's, Dean, Jackson ), and my budget is 500-1000 so that rules out Gibson.

I've got both a Gibson Les Paul and a Gibson Flying V and I can honestly say that I play the V a lot more. I really like both, but the V is lighter, the toggle switch is out of the way (I sometimes find myself hitting the toggle on Les Pauls when I play aggressively), and it has much better fret access. Playing in the classical position isn't really a pain as it mimics the position your guitar is in while playing standing up, and it helps with your posture because you can't lean over the guitar as much due to hooking the guitar around your leg, but it does take some time to get used to if you don't play in that position normally. The pickups are also pretty hot ceramics that can crunch with the best of them.

I don't know what the prices on the used market are in Canada, but in the States a used Gibson V starts around $750 for one in good condition and you could pick up a used faded series for slightly less than that if you don't care about a gloss finish or case.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

It's not as weird as I thought playing sitting down although if I don't put my left leg up I have to kind of squeeze the left horn with my legs to angle it up, really working those inner thighs - but still comfortable. The only downside is that I was hoping it would be perfect for standing up playing without having to hold the neck and it has the same problem my SG does, because the neck strap bolt ( already put a lock on it ) is on the back not on the "side" and the neck is so long, it just slides right down. I guess I'll just have to get used to holding the neck up while playing since even with my vinyl strap and wearing a beater ( so it's strap to skin directly ) it just won't stay upright.

The lovely thing is that I noticed when I picked it up that the switch knob was snapped off - and it was not in the box either - so that means the chucklefucks who did the "warehouse setup" didn't even notice and/or never bothered to switch between bridge/neck pickups. I complained and they're giving me a free flight-case and the dealer I picked it up from ( who also didn't notice ) are going to fix it for free. In the meantime I'm playing it for a week or 2 just so I can get used to it before they take it back to fix. So, I guess a somewhat cautionary tale about buying online/sight unseen.

Nice pickup! Vs always need more love in these threads. One thing that can help with the neck dive is to get a wide strap. The width helps the strap grab onto your shoulder, doubly so if it's made from leather as the suede will add even more grip.

That sucks about the switch :( Is it actually broken or did they just forget to screw the tip on?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

So there's a weird Ibanez/Jackson frankensteined body/neck on local cl with no hardware or electronics for $50

Good idea/bad idea?

Only downside is that it's hsh routed and not pick guard but little covers for humbucker routs to let you put single coils there without a visible hole exist right?

They exist, though they aren't the prettiest things out there. Guitar fetish makes a few and they're the cheapest option unless you want to scrounge ebay: Humbucker Rout adapter ring.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I wish guitar body styles didn't have associations with specific genres. I know so many people who write off or refuse to try great guitars because they're not "metal enough" or "too country." It's kind of depressing sometimes :(

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, Gibson made a few one-pickup Les Pauls a few years ago through their custom shop. I guess they got really popular because they released a cheaper "high power" version last year with dot inlays and no binding.

The custom shop ones are pretty stunning though:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Honestly, the pickguard screws and polepieces being rusty aren't going to affect anything so I wouldn't bother. That kind of rust is just cosmetic and won't change your tone or anything. Plus they're just going to rust.

The saddles might not need it either, but it might be a good idea to clean them anyway in case they develop sharp points or something.

If want to clean them, the rust on the polepieces will flake off easily if you scratch it with your nail or credit card. If it's really stubborn, take the covers off and sand them lightly with a high-grit sandpaper or wire brush. The saddles you'd have to remove and clean with a toothbrush and some hydrogen peroxide or similar solvent.

The pickguard screws you can do the same as the saddles, but they're also so cheap you could just replace them to save some time.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

My newly acquired 2008 MIA strat has some high frets but no notable fret wear. Is it more likely that the frets moved over time, or that it came this way from the factory? It doesn't change anything either way (I need to have it leveled), but I'm curious.

Could be either, really. There are so many variables that there's no way to know. I'm inclined to say it's more likely that the frets moved just due to my own experiences, but that shouldn't be taken as anything other than an anecdote.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Alvarez, Ibanez, ESP/LTD, and occasionally Fender (who sometimes even just bolt a strat neck onto an acoustic body) all make acoustics with slim necks. Most manufacturers stick with fatter necks to help combat the added string tension, but these should all be a good bet and will be well within your price range. Out of all the ones I've personally tried, the Ibanez have generally had the thinnest.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

It could be a couple of things, the most likely culprit being a loose tuner screw. The tuner should have a small hex nut around the tuner post. Tighten it a little and see if that helps.

It could also be that your action is too low or your nut cut too high, and the string is picking up some sympathetic vibrations when it hits the first fret. If that's the case, adjusting the truss rod or raising the bridge saddle a little bit will help alleviate the problem until you can figure out which one it is.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 30, 2017

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Nah, they're bailing on NAMM because they're trying to save money to pay back their debt. I can't really fault them for that as it's a huge amount of money for floor space at a convention that's been drawing less people each year.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I totally get the symbolic part of it, it just seems like Gibson is kinda trapped in a PR nightmare no matter what they decided to with NAMM. If they went, people would say it's a huge waste of money for a company in such debt and how out of touch they are going despite already revealing their 2018 range; and if they didn't go, well, we can already see the response there.

I'm no Gibson apologist, but I can understand their decision. My hope is that this will lead to a restructuring with a focus on quality over quantity, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 11, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

This might be a super minority opinion, but I really wanted Fender to announce a modernized version of the MIM '72 Tele Custom at NAMM this year. Love the look and the sound, but the gloss neck, small radius, the too-low-value pots, and vintage fret wire always leave me a little disappointed. Change those, add a belly cut, and that would be a day one purchase for me.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 26, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Oh yeah; the 60hz hum in the strat doesn’t go away in the 2 and 4 position; isn’t a lack of reverse polarity pickups in the middle more common in older instruments?

Yeah, reverse-wound middle pickups weren't installed even in Fenders until the late 70's or early 80's.

Are you going to replace the bridge screw? You could take out or loosen the middle four screws and make it into a two-point trem if you can't find an easy replacement.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 27, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Also drilled the holes for the bridge and stoppiece, installed a ground to the treble bridge Post, and went to autozone and got some 2000 grit and polish and buffed the lacquer on top. Smooth to the touch!

This is looking really good so far! Is the tailpiece close enough to the bridge for a good break angle? It looks kind of far away to me, but maybe it's just the angle of the photo or you maybe you planned it that way.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I prefer to have a shallower angle because I dislike having to constantly lube up with graphite to avoid strings catching. The recommended distance is 2 inches, and I have it set at just past that at about 2 and a quarter.

Ah, I see. I was curious because you could have top wrapped the strings to get the same effect, but if this works for you then more power to you. This is what I love about build threads, lots of cool little tweaks!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

The only problem is that I don’t know where to start. Is the smaller pot a 250?

You might already be aware of this, but you can't tell a pot's value by the physical size of it. Mini pots come in all kinds of values, even all the way up to 1 meg which my friend found out when he assembled a DIY LP Junior kit, so the easiest way to tell would be to take it out and look for the stamped or printed numbers next to the shaft. If they aren't there (like if the pots are super cheap), you'd need a multimeter to check the resistance.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I’m also shockingly happy with my jazz tone. This Filtertron is ultra fat in the neck with the tone rolled down.

I don't have really anything to add to the already amazing critique, I just wanted to say that I really liked the tone you got. Are the pickups real filtertrons or are they underwound humbuckers? I'm pleasantly surprised you were able to get such a fat tone with filtertrons as I've always thought they were really bright and twangy. Maybe they're more versatile than I initially gave them credit for.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

skooma512 posted:

You can restring it yourself! All you need is strings, a peg winder with something to dig out the bridge pins, and more bridge pins in case you run into problems. If not, any store or shop will be able to do this for you for like 10 bucks plus the cost of strings.

I'm gonna go off of what this guy says and say that you don't really need a string winder. It will help cut some time off of restringing it, but it's not a necessary purchase. You can push the bridge pins out with a spoon if you reach into the soundhole, and winding the strings by hand really doesn't take that long.

That being said, if you're unsure of what to do you should take it to a shop. Even if you decide to string it yourself, you'll probably need some help choosing the right kind of string.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

rio posted:

What the gently caress is “resinwood”? They say it has a mahogany core which doesn’t seem to make sense since anything encased in resin isn’t going to matter. They could cover poo poo with resin and it’d sound the same as mahogany. Is it really just a name for a smaller piece of wood covered in normal resin or is there something else going on?

You've got it, basically. The wood is there to act as an anchor point for the bolt-on neck and the resin allowed them to make quick, cheap, and durable finishes on what was then a student guitar.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Well, how cheap is cheap? An inexpensive new case is about $60 from a brand like Musicians Gear. Even though they're a budget brand, I've never had a bad experience with any of their products.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Just make sure that whatever you get, you remember what gauge they are. Acoustic sets are annoying, in that they get called "extra light" etc instead of just using the number. Just makes it harder to remember exactly what you're using imo

This isn't entirely accurate. Acoustic string packs also list the gauge. It's not like a store employee is going to look at you slack-jawed of you say you want Martin acoustic tens or something.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Having a problem with my 4-5 year old guitar. Sometimes when I bump the volume knob with my hand while playing the sound will short out and I have to jiggle the knob to get it to come back at all. It will cut out almost entirely even if the knob isn't actually moved.

I'm assuming this just means there is some loose connection but I've never dug at the insides of a guitar before, so I'm wondering if this is something I could fix myself with a soldering iron or if I should just go to a repair shop.

Most likely is just a loose connection. Is the pot screwed on tightly? You shouldn't be able to jiggle it. If the pot itself is loose it could be making contact with the wood of the guitar, creating a short.

Either way, bad connections are pretty easy to diagnose. Gently pull the wires soldered to the pot and if you can feel some give in the solder joint, it needs to be resoldered. While you're at it, you should also check the input jack. Occasionally, the force of inserting and removing the instrument cable or retightening the nut a lot can cause the jack to rotate in place, breaking the solder joints. This doesn't happen often, but it's good to check just in case.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, bare wire is a ground. Are your grounds all connected at the same joint?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

According to the wiring diagram, though, the ground goes to the volume pot, which is then wired to the sleeve ground.

Nope - grounds are wired to various pots, like in this diagram.

Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams don't include the master ground wire in them for whatever reason. It's the wire connected to the bridge (or trem claw) and it needs to be soldered to the other grounds. If you have a braided bridge ground wire, the braid will also have to be soldered to the back of the pot.

This is probably a dumb question, but do all your grounds terminate at the same solder joint? In the diagram, it's this solder joint on the volume pot:

I would assume they already do if you're just following the wiring that was in there before, but occasionally I find myself mixing up some wires and soldering the ground to the wrong place.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Here's the idiot response: everything sounded correct before I started doing any wiring. The original pickups, while crappy, sounded the way pickups normally sound. I haven't touched any of the other wires, haven't moved the pickups, so my thinking is, "hey everything is perfect except for the place where I messed with the two original wires."

In fact, I'm just twisting the wires and using electric tape to make the connections right now while I try to figure out what's wrong with my wiring. Would solder REALLY make that drastic a change? In particular - the middle+bridge and middle pickup selectors that sound alike right now.

I gotta go look over the whole thing again. drat I hate wiring.

If you could post a picture that would help a lot. I'm having trouble visualizing exactly what you have going on.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

There is a somewhat-common wiring scheme that puts pickups on a blend pot. Usually it's the second tone knob, but it can sometimes be the first. Players preference, I guess. When it's wired that way, you can get a couple more sounds out of your strat as you can dial in the neck or bridge pickup to get just the neck and bridge pickups together or all the way open for all three together.

There are a couple of companies that make pre-wired harnesses for it, and one company based in New Zealand (I think) makes a solderless plug-and-play harness that works with all pickups.

Your wiring sounds pretty funky from your description though. Even if the guitar has the wiring above, it shouldn't be selecting the middle pickup when you put it to either the 1 or 5 position.

Edit: Whoops, corrected some wrong info. Half asleep when I wrote this and it made me way too overconfident in my half-remembered schematics.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 19, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

A new bridge came in the mail today and I am so PUMPED! I've been slowly acquiring the parts for my dream telecaster over the past couple of months and now it's all starting to come together. Dakota red standard body, a fat maple neck, three-brass-barrel bridge, witch-hat knobs, and a wide-range in the neck. Man, this thing is going to be sweet.

The one thing that's stumbling me up is balancing the two pups. Has anyone wired a neck humbucker into a tele before? I've been doing my reading on wiring diagrams and it seems like everyone has a different way to go about it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Whoops! I guess in my excitement I just slammed the post button without actually elaborating on anything. I'm going to be using the standard three way switch, one volume, one tone and I wanted to use some pots that I already have laying around, namely some 250k and 500k CTS. I've been thinking of using resistors to make the bridge pickup see a different pot value, but it seems like everyone and their mother has a different way of wiring them in.

One avenue I've also been thinking about is getting a hotter bridge pickup (like a broadcaster pickup, something around 10k) so that I could just use the 500ks and wire it like a regular tele. What keeps me from that, though, is that it would be a lot nicer to spend eight cents on a resistor than sixty plus on a new pickup.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well, then the resistor would always be in the circuit. The idea with this was to only introduce it on position 2. Yeah it's a typical Tele 3-way switch

E: wait by bridge did you mean ground or the bridge pickup?

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that you'd wire the resistor to the hot lead of the pickup at the switch and to the ground.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for custom pickguards? By "custom" I mean "from scratch based on a tracing" not just like a strat pickguard in a fancy color or pattern. I have two somewhat obscure guitars (A GJ2 Glendora and an Ibanez RT150) that I'd like to convert from HH/HSH to HSS, and there aren't any ready-to-buy pickguards that match them.

Pickguardian and Terrapin are the two companies I often see recommended for custom pickguards. They have a thing where you can send them the original and they make a new one based off of that, and will work with you for any changes you want to add.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Got a bunch of parts in the mail today for my telecaster build. Super excited to start on it, now I just have to wait for the body to arrive. It's gonna have a Jaguar neck pickup, milk paint finish, overwound tele bridge, CTS pots and switch, and a pretty cool control plate. I've always found the switch to be really annoying to grab on the bridge position on teles because of how close it gets to the knob, so having it angled like that should help a lot.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 8, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

What makes it a custom is the binding. That's it. They're the same body otherwise.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone give me rough idea of how much it would cost to reset the neck on an old acoustic guitar?

It was stored for probably about forty years with tensioned strings, and I'm fairly confident it does not have a truss rod. The string tension pulled the neck out of the glue joint with the body, and I don't want to gently caress around with DIY fixes since this is a family heirloom type of guitar. The varnish on the neck is worn through from a lifetime of playing, so I'm very excited to give this thing a second life :3:

I think I know of a local shop that might be able to do this kind of work, but failing that is this a type of repair that I could trust a guitar center with?

There are also a few moldy spots on the body... would pledge furniture wipes be alright for cleaning that up?

I'll post pictures once I pick it up, just trying to figure out the best next steps.

You should try reaching out to Chris Rice of Rice Custom Guitars for some advice, at least about the mold. He runs a custom guitar and repair shop with his dad out in the 'burbs of Chicago and they've managed to fix some stuff that was long considered a lost cause. I think Dan Erlewine even sent out some stuff to them when he couldn't fix it. Super nice and helpful, I had the pleasure of taking some lessons with him a couple of months back.

Why I bring them up is because they managed to completely restore a 335 that had been totally submerged in the waters of Hurricane Katrina for weeks and left to dry in the case before the owner was able to get back into his house. So if anyone knows how to get mold out of a guitar, it's him.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

That is definitely either a Harmony or one Harmony built under contract for another company. The headstock shape gives it away. They are cool guitars, and have a pretty good reputation as a players guitar, but are not worth a whole lot because they were mass manufactured during the guitar boom of the fifties and sixties. They were sold under different brand names through department stores like Sears, JC Penney, Macy's, etc., so it can be difficult to properly identify the model number as the same guitar would retail at a few different stores with different designations and model numbers.

As far as cleaning it, naphtha will work well but it's highly toxic so you'd want to work with it in a well ventilated area. Professor Green's Instrument Polish is another product to check out. It's really more of a water-based soap that you gently scrub the surface of the instrument with.

Edit: Are the strings really that high off the fretboard or are you lifting them out of the way? You might want to get the neck looked at too if not, it could be either extremely bowed or the dovetail/neck pocket has shifted.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 17, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

No, not without stripping the current finish. If you don't like the stickiness then you can dull it down with some 000 steel wool or a scotch brite pad.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Wax potting your pickups can help with that too, if they aren't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Holy poo poo I hit my Strat with the micromesh and it feels like a luxury instrument now :aaaaa: I’ve only done it up to 2400 but I might go to 1500 later. It still feels just slightly tacky. Am I right assuming there’s no point in polishing it with the finer grits afterwards? I was thinking I should but then I realized it would probably only gloss it up again. Also what’s the best way to clean the pads?

It's really a subjective thing whether or not you want to go to to the next grit. If it feels good to you now then you don't need to. Sanding it at a higher grit gets rid of any sanding marks the previous grit left behind and creates a smoother surface. It will also introduce some shine, but it can never go back to the original gloss, as that would require some wet-sanding or a new finish.

Cleaning is pretty easy. Wash with soap and water if they're really gunked up, or spray clean with compressed air if it's pretty light.