Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
What guitar/amp combo is best for wooing fair maidens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
If anything playing electric will make your acoustic skills worsen. Don't worry about it

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
I'm guessing you need a truss rod adjustment, which is part of a setup. Average price is $50.

Your high action can be fixed through that and/or a bridge mod, where you just file down the little spaces the strings go in. I wouldn't do either of these by yourself without some experience but if that's the extent of the problem you're being overcharged.

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma

Gewehr 43 posted:

Let me know how it goes since the rest of your post sounds so incredibly similar to my story. I took two lessons about 8-9 years ago but stopped when the stupid poo poo tried to buy pot off me during a lesson. I don't smoke and the whole situation struck me as very awkward.

I'm afraid you'll have to hand in your guitar

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
Is there a relative consensus on how to advance through the ranks of guitar playin?

[e] as in, what to focus on. I could just pick something at random but was wondering if there's a progression. More practice than theory

chordate fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 11, 2010

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
EBEGBE

As for my question I was really vague, I've been playing for a year and a half. No problem with barre chords, have basic scales and theory down. I'm just learning songs + the fretboard at this point, with little direction.

\/ oh yeah there's been some confusion with the top three strings, if they are muted it is a fifth but otherwise not, everyone is right hooray

chordate fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 11, 2010

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
classical technique sucks when you're standing

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
This is going to sound really dumb but is there a genre dictionary around, for something like which rhythms/sounds go with each? I realize there aren't fully agreed-upon definitions for what makes music "country" or "blues" and everyone hates that anyway but that's basically what I'm looking for.

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma

The Proc posted:

I think genre distinctions are a mostly a product of instrumentation and vocal style. For example, almost any song can be played with banjo rolls and a fiddle and a lapsteel and it'll sound country as gently caress. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyzVXFIbSDM

Just listen to the stuff you want to emulate and emulate it.

Right but I'm looking for something along the lines of common rhythms, not so much tone.

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
Coincidentally my hands also stretch from Esc - F11. When I tried them at first I had a lot of trouble with partial barres; trying to barre with my ring finger was especially pathetic. After stretching my hands out for a few days I can now barre clean.

Practice. Your hands do NOT want to be playing guitar

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
Vox makes quality amps, I've been using a DA5 (the Microcube equivalent) and I could mess with the effects all day. Also loud as poo poo for 5 watts. I've tried their larger models and have no complaints. That said, if you're willing to spend around $300 try to find a used tube amp on craigslist. Fender Blues Jrs usually go for that much and they sound phenomenal.

ex. NJ listing for $315

Upgrade your amp first because that's where your sound comes from. If your guitar's uncomfortable to play though you might want to replace that?

chordate fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 3, 2010

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma

CalvinDooglas posted:

chordate posted:

Right but I'm looking for something along the lines of common rhythms, not so much tone.
I don't think you're going to find any resources for genre by rhythm, since specific rhythmic figures aren't definitive of genre. You're not going to find anything that's a "jazz rhythm" or a "classical rhythm" because context is everything. You can find huge similarity between the rhythms used by Bach and Charlie Parker, and huge differences, too. You'd do best to start boning up on scores and listening to how musicians play with rhythm.

Completely forgot I posted that. I realize how it came across, I wasn't talking about "6/8 triplets = jazz" or whatever. Rhythm was probably the wrong thing to focus on entirely.

As an example, moving from (chords) I maj > IV maj > V maj or whatever combination is the blues cliche (fairly sure it's the standard progression?). I'm looking for anything of that nature. I am certain more of these exist and I am just terrible at explaining it.

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
Man learning the fretboard makes improv/jamming/learning songs sooo much easier, definitely do this if you've been putting it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma

CalvinDooglas posted:

might it be useful to put "buying my first guitar" questions in a larger gear recommendation thread? It seems like at least half the questions in this one are about purchasing a guitar rather than playing it.

Ever read the bass thread?