Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm in love with Middle Eastern scales right now.

E-F-G#-A-B-C-D# (Hijaz Kar, famously used in the song Misirlou)

edit: I love my cheap Yamaha guitar. Gets the job done, sounds decent. And yeah I totally make up for its cheap cost with a drat cool capo which I never use..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I keep getting noticable resonance from my guitar, mostly from the 5th and 6th strings. The 5th string also buzzes if plucked too hard. Any advice?

This is a Nylon String guitar.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Zo posted:

How would you guys play this: (natural harmonic on high e string, rest strum)

I haven't seen harmonics mixed in with a chord like that yet and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to play it (normally I'd touch with my right index and pick with my right middle finger, but obviously that can't work here).

Right now I'm holding the chord claw-like, with my left pinky resting on the harmonic string and it's pretty delicate. Just more practice or is there an easier way?

Ring finger on 4th string, Middle on 3rd. Index on 2nd, and pinky on 1st? Can't really think of any other way. It's not that hard.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Zo posted:

Doing that but can't get the first string to sound out very well. Especially since index finger tends to brush up against the first string. Oh well.

You probably just need to practice it then it is a kind of awkward chord.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm having trouble doing partial barre chords. My hands are pretty large (Pinky to thumb is escape key to F11) so I always feel like my index finger is being bent crookedly. Any tips?

I play a classical guitar so I am taking the bigger neck into account as well.

I've been cheating all this time doing full barre chords :( my hands are like made to fit a Classical Guitar. I ran into a song that used the open strings though so time to re-learn everything!

edit: It's like god designed my hands perfectly so that the first string goes under the joint of my finger when I barre 4 strings. God drat it. And if I barre 3, it just gets drat awkward.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 2, 2010

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Dickeye posted:

I'm getting my first guitar this weekend. My uncle got it a year or so ago and barely played it, so now I get to have it! Woo freebies.

Anyway, all I know about it is that it's electric, and it's been sitting in its case for a year, roughly. Is that a bad thing? What kind of stuff should I expect to have to fix besides getting new strings, if anything?

Dust that baby off, string it, and plug it in! Have fun sucking for a few months ;)

Thoren
May 28, 2008
^ Beaten :argh:

Stumpus posted:

Should one strive to press the string down directly between two frets or does it matter where the string is pressed down?

Frets are the parts between the Fret Wires. You want to put your finger ideally closer to the fret wire that your fret corresponds to. You're cutting the vibration length to that metal part, making sound. It's way easier to do barre chords closer to the fret wire as well.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Does anyone know anything about Electric Nylon Acoustic Guitars? They're so thin and sexy. It's like the pleasure of a Classical Neck but the body of an electric! Ohmygosh I can't believe I just typed that on a public forum!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can anyone tell me a bit more about ties in Sheet Music?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Edit: Never mind I am an idiot

This is my first time encountering ties and they were all conveniently connected to Beamed Notes to gently caress with me. Why are they even there then? :/

Thoren fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 8, 2010

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Zo posted:

The "beam" doesn't mean anything except to represent 8th notes or 16th notes (or triplets etc)

The ties are a complete separate thing.

I started guitar after years of playing other instruments so I never realized how hard it'd be to learn guitar AND all the fundamentals of music at the same time (everything from rhythm to sheet music). Don't worry about it, just keep at it.

Thanks. Right, the Beam was indicating 8th notes. The thing that tripped me up is that there are many ties connecting the 8th and quarter notes, I am a bit lost on their purpose.

Music Theory severely kicks my rear end, I might try to take a college course on it for some formal learning.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Goddamn the Classical Guitar is one versatile instrument
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-p4c2_BlE

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Anyone have some good spanish chord progressions? The only one I really know well is Am > G > F > E

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

I have a simple question that isn't just about guitars: Are you ever too old to learn a musical instrument?

Yeah you have to start by at least 12

no, you can learn anytime.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

seigfox posted:

Help! I feel like I'm being pulled in too many directions.

There are different playing styles, types of picking, strumming, sliding, and a billion chords, scales, modes, positions... I don't have a a particular style that I'd like to learn over any other so I feel like I've lost focus. I'm learning a little bit of everything but I don't feel like I'm getting good at anything.

I guess my question is; What do I do first? Do I learn to read music? Should I focus on scales? Chords and strumming? Is a particular style of music easier to learn?

Is there any one thing that will make the other things easier/clearer or is meandering the best way to do this?

EDIT: Zo, are you using razor wire or something? I'm playing songs that consist of nothing but barre chords and doing so for hours and other than the occasional cramped hand I'm none the worse. Something is amiss with your situation.

I started with simple songs and chords and worked my way up from there. How good are you anyways? I could recommend you a free really really basic beginners book but I don't want to insult you.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Hanpan posted:

Is it wrong that the only way I can comfortably play an F chord is by sliding my thumb around (so rather than have it resting against the neck, I'm holding it baseball style or whatever it's called)? I get the feeling I shouldn't be doing it.

Also, I could really use some help here. I honestly have no idea why, but my up strumming absolutely sucks. I don't know if I am holding the pick wrong or perhaps my body position isn't right but my strumming is total garbage. I've been practising loads but I just don't seem to see any improvement and I'm starting to think I am literally just doing it wrong. If anyone has any guides/videos to basic up strumming / guitar playing posture that would be really appreciated.

What the hell, I posted a reply but it didn't show up.

Anyways, for the strumming, how are you holding the pick? It should be diagonal to the guitar, pointing towards you, then strumming away from you. Reverse it for strumming upwards.

I have no clue how you could hold a guitar like a baseball bat, but you do want to squeeze the neck between your thumb and index finger for a barre. This is how I do it at least..

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

While you might have gotten an okay quality guitar, you could have just as easily gotten an absolutely crap guitar, which is why they're advised against. They're made in the worst sweatshops in developing countries by peasants who aren't really trained in QC or guitar luthiery. When you have people who are barely trained working 20 hour days, they generally stop giving a gently caress the 13th hour in. Moral arguments aside, you can't really expect a quality guitar for $100 unless the dollar's value changes drastically.

I don't know, I've seen some good used $100 guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can anyone tell me how to play these chords properly in Harry Chaplin's "Cats in the Cradle"?

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/h/harry_chapin/cats_in_the_cradle_ver3_crd.htm

D/C#, D/B, D/A, D/G, D/F#

I just cant seem to make it sound right