Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spruce
May 1, 2009
I'm interested in buying a guitar and learning to play (and I read the OP), but I have really small hands. (My pinky is 1.75" long and my hand is 6" from wrist to the tip of my middle finger.) Several years ago I tried to play a friend's regular-sized guitar, and it was impossible for me to get those far strings with my left hand.

So today I went into a guitar store and the girl there recommended I try a baby Taylor and baby Martin. For those two it seemed like I would be able to reach all the strings comfortably after some practice. They were ~$350, but I noticed that neither brand was listed in the OP where it talked about companies for good budget guitars. Do other companies make small less-expensive guitars, or is $350 a good price and those are my only options? I went to some of the websites of the companies listed in the OP, but each product list is full of cryptic letter/number names and I'm not really sure what characteristic I'm looking for beyond "pretty small." And I haven't been very successful at finding overall length when I look at individual models, which makes it hard to determine smallness.

So here are my questions:
Is there a generic term for little guitars like that?
Do the less-expensive companies have little ones like that, or is it just those two?
Is the "baby Martin" the same as the "little Martin?"

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU