Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
So for learning guitar with an instructor, is there much of a difference between taking lessons and taking a class at the community college? I don't know mines reputation for their guitar class, but it would be a lot cheaper than private lessons. I have an accoustic and electric guitar, but most attempts I have put forth to learn them have ended poorly which I think could probably be based on the fact that I tried learning using dumb DVD's instead of lessons, which usually work well for me in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I probably should have clarified that the difference between at the local college and private lessons was free vs however much.

I got a local recommendation from a friend though, a supposedly pretty good instructor who is in that general 20-30 per lesson range which seems to match up with what you guys here are saying.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Rothgil posted:

I received an electric guitar today.I've read about theory and posture in the past few weeks so I set out to try and tune it manually. (Haven't bought a tuner yet). I'm noticing that I'm pressing down on the strings too hard and often mute it. Any advice for this? Specifically, I tuned the open lower E to an mp3 and when I try to press on the 5th fret to make it sound like an open A I tend to mute it completely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try pressing down further towards the next fret, as close as you can get. (That is, towards the body of the guitar)

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I've been attempting on and off to learn to play guitar for quite a while, and eventually I always get discouraged because my guitar is really hard to play. Usually I just told myself it was cause I suck but after having multiple friends over who are good at guitar they've confirmed it. It boils down to the strings being really hard to fret - also, the low E buzzes a bit but it's nowhere near as much of an issue and I'd gladly take a bit more buzzing for better action.
So it seems to be something that could be fixed by getting it set up, right, and not a problem from it just being kind of old and moderately cheap? If setting it up is easy enough to do I'll try and do that on my own, but if I'm going to have to take it in and get it done I might as well put that towards a new guitar. Any suggestion video tutorials or anything?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How are strings "hard to fret"? Like they're super high for some reason?

Yeah, essentially. Barre chords seem to nearly impossible even among my friends who know what they're doing.

Warcabbit posted:

Well, you'd probably need to take the new guitar in to get set up too. So... what kind of guitar do you have?
An upper entry-level acoustic Yamaha.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 18, 2012

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I've been trying to get a used Mexican Strat or Telecaster or anything good for punk/surf/indie but craigslist in my area is pretty dead. Is there really a great enough difference in sound quality between the $150-$200-ish guitars from Rondo and similar, and a something like a MIM fender guitar? I over analyze most purchasing decisions but I'm also pretty anxious to finally upgrade my electric, but I'll be wait a bit longer if the cheaper off-brand stuff is really that bad.'
edit: this is the only listing locally that has caught my eye, and even that I'm not too interested in since I'm not sure if I want to go with solely humbuckers.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 8, 2012

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I got pretty scared away from the Rondos after some previous posts and some friends, so I ended up buying the Squier. It was a bit cheaper than I had to go but I'll just put the extra money towards a new amp.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
My (new) Vox VT20+ finally arrived today after I've been waiting weeks and had various used amp deals fall through, and it won't output any sound. When I plug in headphones it works fine. The guitar and cable both work on my other amp. Does anyone know anything about this - is it some sort of common easily fixed problem or setting i'm missing, or am I going to have to send it back... and wait even longer

e: figured it out.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 18, 2012

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I started playing ukulele recently, but there's no thread for it that I can see and my questions are more about learning and developing musical skills on an instrument than they are ukulele-specific, so I hope that's okay. I think my questions are common across guitars and ukuleles.
I've got down all the basic chords (some more than others) and I'm practicing cord changes to a metronome along with learning a few picked as well as strummed songs. However, from here I'm kind of at a loss on how to continue to improve. There's a whole bunch of chords that I could learn, and I want to be able to both write music as well as improvise. I like to strum around and improvise as well as kinda work out bits of a song I've got in my head, but it sounds pretty same-y when I'm always in C-major using 7-chords plus change. Music theory has always been kind of obtuse and scary to me but it seems like I'm going to have to dive in to get out of my comfort zone.
Is this a good way to go about improving my skills? Or - would it be better to learn more songs and practice first so I have the mechanics of playing solidified even further before I start getting into the theory. Thanks for any advice and sorry for shittin' up the thread with a tangentially related instrument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Thanks for the perspectives. I'm actually a former (bad) guitar player and my learning experience so far has been a lot more up my alley, but hopefully some of these skills will transfer when I decide to pick up a guitar again. In the meantime, maybe I should make a ukulele thread 🤔