Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm starting guitar, after coming from playing trumpet classically and in jazz for about 15-16 years. I understand music pretty well, but I'm not very coordinated with both hands when trying to do music. My first question is this: Should I play the guitar so that I'm fingering things on the neck with my right hand? (My reasoning being that I already have great dexterity with my right from playing trumpet)

My second question comes from noticing some problems I'm having in trying to play chords. Often times my finger can't arch high enough to get off other strings, and it makes it sound bad. I noticed at the end of my first practice that I can push the strings down and sort of away from the others and it frees up space so that I can lay my other fingers down without so much worry. Is this kosher? Is it possible and should I do it without pushing the strings away?

Finally I'm tight on time and budget so I want to avoid having a teacher until later. Is there a good place to find some fundamentals I can stick to so that I don't end up saying ten years down the line that I wish I had started that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Should one strive to press the string down directly between two frets or does it matter where the string is pressed down?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Been playing chords, and my fingers feel SO FAT. I feel like they get in the way of eachother like I had sausages instead of fingers.

Does that ever go away? Especially on the A chord, my fingers feel so awkward!

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Anybody have any experience with Guitar Method books? Trumpet has Arban's which is a must for a player.

I've looked up a few:

Berklee Press A Modern Method for Guitar - Volume 1

Alfred's Basic Guitar Method Book 1

Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book 1

I'm hesitant to buy the Hal Leonard one, as that company has struck me as the Evil Empire of music. But maybe it's good.