Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Vulture
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

If I'm looking to buy the first stringed instrument I have ever layed hands upon, and budget is the most important factor (I'm married), what could I reasonably expect to get away with spending on an acoustic guitar without getting eye-rolled out of this thread?

Would I be wasting my money, on, say, this $100 thing? http://www.rondomusic.com/CG195.HTML

Edit: I know it says not to get a cheap starter guitar, but I don't really know what's considered cheap.

What type of music do you plan to play? And what does your total budget look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Vulture
Mar 26, 2010
I'd definately stay away from nylon strings unless you want to play classical or another style that specifically calls for them. You are definately better off going with an electric and an amp for classic rock. Starting with an acoustic is fine as well, but eventually you'll have to switch to play the stuff you want. Whatever you choose, just make sure it has steel strings on it(not nylon).

My first guitar was a $150 Epiphone SG. It wasn't ever going to play in stadiums or have an insane resale value, but it got the job done. Guitars are tools, and as long as it does what it needs to, price and value are irrelevant. Get something you can afford that you will want to pick up and play daily.

If you have the time, I'd go to as many places around town that sell guitars in your price range and try everything within your budget. If you have any small local music stores nearby, I'd hit those first. I've had a lot of good dealings with different local stores in the cities I've lived in, a far cry from the typical Guitar Center/Sam Ash experiences.

Also, you could wait until the real guitar comes out for Rock Band 3 and combine your love of all things vidya and guitar.

Crooked Vulture
Mar 26, 2010

Famicom Bunko posted:

I've been playing acoustic for almost a year now and I'm thinking it is time to pick up an electric. Based on what I've seen in this thread, I checked out Rondo's site and saw this beauty: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100pp.html.

But then I also saw this bad boy: http://www.rondomusic.com/AL25002TSFLAMEbigsby.html

So I don't really know what I'm looking for here. What exactly is the extra $100 getting me? Could anyone recommend anything better for someone who has been learning the chords to a bunch of John Frusciante songs and recently started learning songs that involve picking? Which is to say up until now I've mostly just been a folky campfire guitarist.

I'm far from a gear expert, but this is the little bit that I could tell between the 2 guitars.

AL3100: Better electronics, (maybe?) better tuners, better wood. Basically the same guitar without a trem, but better materials used to make it.

AL2500: has a trem arm.

My advice would be based on a few factors. If the extra $100 is going to mess up your budget, just get the 2500. If the extra $100 isn't a problem and you have a good amp already, go for the 3100. If you don't have a good amp, buy the 2500 and put the $100 toward getting a good one. The Vox amps mentioned in here seem pretty popular. I like the Fender Super Champ XD and the Blues Jr. personally.

Either one is fine, so there really isn't a wrong choice. For me, I'd choose based on your amp situation/budget.

edit: Also, I had a couple of friends with bigsby guitars that bitched about restringing them. This is probably because they are lazyfucks, but it does add another layer to it. Gretsch had a pretty good how to video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHUg--teQE

Crooked Vulture fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 15, 2010