Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Tubular, vocal, bell-like, dark, mellow...uh I'm out of words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Honestly, Guitar Center is the last place I would go to have a guitar set up or fixed or anything. Are there any local luthiers you know of?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Pocket Billiards posted:

If you take it to a chain store they'll ship it off to a luthier anyway. Ask around and see who people are using locally.

Sometimes they have in-store guys, and I'm way too attached to my gear to trust a chain tech.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

lazerwolf posted:

I have kind of a technique question. I've been learning some riffs with bends in them (like the solo in Dancing in the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy). When bending the G or B string up, for instance, my nail will catch on the next lower string (D for G bends or G for B bends, etc) and my nail isn't abnormally long or anything. How do I stop this from happening? I'm getting some string noise from the nail vibrating those strings. I play a tele if that makes a difference

What part of your fingertip are you using to fret?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah, they're great for the price. My only problem with the ALs is the weight, they super heavy, even for LPs. And contrary to popular belief, heavier wood is not necessarily better wood. In any case, it's probably not the best hardware, and gold hardware wears pretty easily as it is. Personally, I don't mind the worn gold look, but if that'll bother you, you should go with something with black or nickel.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
With the side of your index finger, given you're fretting that C# octave with your index and whatever other finger.

edit: not the side, side, the fleshy bit beyond what you're fretting with.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

CitrusFrog posted:

So I just lay the index finger down on them like a fret-hand muted barre chord? I try that but I think I've still got some finger independence issues to iron out, when I attempt it my hand seems to want to stiffen up which faffs my tone up.

Yep! As long as you keep practicing, it should feel natural in no time at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Probably not a rip-off, Gios aren't worth much at all really. My first guitar was a Gio, and you could do much worse.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a vintage style trem, so there's nothing stopping him from just screwing in the trem claw a bit more if it isn't already up against the body.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You're better off starting with whichever you see yourself making the most use of, electric or acoustic. As far as choice of guitars, the Epiphone semi-hollows have been in my experience really good guitars. That being said, going electric means that you're resigning yourself to the price for some kind of amp/pre-amp, if you've already got some audio gear, too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Adjusting neck relief won't affect string tension, all you can do is tune down or use smaller strings.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Used Ibanez RG7*2*.

7620 if you want a trem, 7621 if you want a fixed bridge. 7420s and 7620s are nearly identical to the 762* models, but the 7420 has a pretty terrible trem. The only other differences would be the pickup tab routings and maybe the stock pickups, not sure. The 762* models, I know at least, came with DiMarzio New 7s, which are basically slightly tweaked DiMarzio blazes.
Being older models, these are made in Japan, and waaaaay better than the 7321, and you can get them for a loving song if you look around.
Try the guitarcenter.com used section, search for the above model designations and variations of "7str", "7string", etc. Not to mention eBay.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do you hold your pick? How much of your arm are you using to pick?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Hammer Floyd posted:

I hold it between thumb and index, index kinda pointing at the strings. When I go for faster stuff, I tilt it so I'm picking with more of an edge. I couldn't tell you how much arm I'm using, but I try to be all from the wrist, however I do notice my bicep always tenses up a lot...

Relax your bicep and try to use more of your arm, your elbow will be majorly helpful even if it seems like your forearm isn't moving at all.
If holding the pick that way is most comfortable for you, you don't need to change it up. But you could experiment with holding it in different ways. I grip the pick with the side of my index finger and thumb, with the index loosely curled.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I am a huge fan of ESP, but I would not touch any of the under 400 series LTDs with a 10 yard pole. Look at Agile: http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss10.html
This page and back will have guitars that fit in your budget.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The cube does loving own, and like I mentioned above, Agiles are pretty solid. Another choice is trawling around ebay for older made-in-japan Ibanezes, but that's kind've a hard thing to do when you're just getting into guitar. That and most of them have double locking trems which I wouldn't give to a beginner.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A guitar like that can pull of any genre whatsoever very easily, you'll find legendary players in any style of music using Les Pauls or Les Paul-alikes. Any complaints someone would have about the specs of that guitar really all come down to personal preference.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Could you find the particular SG model on the Epiphone site?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

spe posted:

I just got my old beginner Ibanez (RG321) back from this guy and I've decided to start learning again, my friend said I should start by learning all of the min7 and diminished chords because they sound real harsh even without distortion, is there anything else to add to that list or should I just keep looking for shellac tabs?

I'm in standard tuning at the moment but he says Drop C or Drop B will make it sound even radder. Is there anything else I can do to make it sound mean without distortion (distortion is the easy way to sound like a brute).

Short answer: what

Long answer: It's all in the attack. Know how to pick hard and make things sound aggressive. There's no trick to it other than just doing it. 'Harshness' outside of icepick treble ear-stabbing is subjective. You could play a diminished chord and make a mellow as gently caress tune or you could use a diminished chord and play gore death grind ball gently caress core.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

spe posted:

Got it, gonna slam those badboys hard and twisted. Better get some spare strings if I'm gonna be putting my impotent rage into it. My friend is coming round tomorrow to show me how to smash out some blinders, he probably knows a thing or two about this aggressive attack business. I forgot how fun this is!

e: one more question! Am I better off getting real thick strings here? I went into the guitar shop and told the guy I know nothing and he handed me a pack of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky, now I've been looking online and I can buy some called Not Even Slinky, Beefy Slinky etc... Will these chunky fellas be able to take more of a beating than lighter gauge strings?

Heavier strings might help, yeah. But keep in mind that it's not all about picking as hard as possible, you've got to figure out how to give nuance to it with your picking hand without relying on breaking strings faster than necessary.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Picking hard is really bad for developing good lead technique though, in my opinion of course. I've found that most of my injuries, dry spells, lack of precision, etc. could all in a way be traced back to either using too much of my pick or picking too hard.

Absolutely. You've got to learn how to pick dynamically. Don't always pick hard. Know how to pick more conservatively and still get a raunchy sound.

Technically speaking, your baseline technique shouldn't be slamming the strings 100%, it's just one of the techniques available for certain sounds.

You'll end up hurting yourself if you go all Hulk all the time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The thing about acoustic-electrics, acoustics with pickups, I mean, is that they're not really designed for playing through electric guitar amps. I believe all acoustic pickups are equivocal to extremely low impedance electric pickups, which means it'd sound like balls. I don't have any personal experience with acoustic electrics, so someone might have to correct me on how they would sound!

Yamaha makes excellent guitars, as do Seagull, Godin, Takamine, and Ibanez. I know Guitar Center has a generally lovely vibe, but if you can manage going there, they usually have a sweet acoustic area where you can try out a lot of acoustic in relative silence.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Woah woah woah, definitely don't go to the trussrod first to adjust action, and definitely do not tweak it without letting it sit for a while between minor adjustments. On acoustics your only real choice is to file the nut or bridge down to lower the strings, the trussrod should only be adjusted if the neck is too bowed one way or another to get consistent height.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't have AIM but I can say you can get pretty loving low with proper string gauges. a low F# 1 to D1 are easily doable on a 25.5" scale length.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

So what's the deal with .11s? Seinfeld bass line goes here

But seriously, is there anything serious to consider if I were to switch over to .11 gauge strings on my main guitar? We're talking about an Ibanez 450S from 1990. I want to try out thicker strings, I want my strings to 'give' less when I pick them (also changing strings is long overdue anyway).

Anyone has experiences or warnings to share?

e: this post reads like some bad avant-garde poetry god drat. hope it's understandable

Not really, no. If your trem isn't blocked you'll have to set it up again, but you probably know how to do that if you're rocking a 450S.

spe posted:

Should the strings and fretboard be parallel or is my guitar hosed up? Theres a 1mm clearance over the 1st fret and it hits about 5mm by the 24th.

It shouldn't really be that drastic. It might need a set up, unless it doesn't bother you. It's not broken or anything, though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hey guys, I'm a real slacker, so I could use some advice on putting together a practice regimen so I can get my poo poo together. I need to work on my clarity and speed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

CalvinDooglas posted:

Set your metronome to 60 and get ready for a moderato adventure

Open string RH Warm Up
ALTERNATE pick open strings D G B and high E in this order, with a left hand mute at the nut:
code:
4321  3421  2431  1432
4312  3412  2413  1423
4231  3241  2341  1342
4213  3214  2314  1324
4132  3142  2143  1243
4123  3124  2134  1234
Use whatever note values or tempo you need to do each pattern 4 times in a row without error.

For this part, do you mean I should do each pattern of the individual orders (i.e 4321 4 times, move on to 4312 4 times, &c.) or do I do each column 4 times in a row. I've been doing it as the former for the last few days, but before I get too set in a routine I want to get that straight. Thanks for the time and effort.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've been a pretty straight alt-picker for years, so it's not a big deal to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

calcio posted:

Looking to pickup a MIM Strat off Craigslist to get started playing. I've seen some different descriptions of various MIM such as Fat, HSS or Deluxe Powerhouse. The pictures of all the MIM strats appear the same to me but want to find out what the exact difference is in these variations.

Deluxe powerhouse is a specific model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-deluxe-powerhouse-stratocaster-electric-guitar

Fat and HSS are interchangeable, it means it has a humbucker in the bridge and two single coil pickups in the middle and neck positions.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Not much as far as tension goes, but they'd sound like poop through an amp because they aren't the same alloy composition of electric strings.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know if it quite fits in this thread but I'm looking to try and work on slap guitar skills. Not bass. It's something I've been interested in a while, but I'm wondering if bass slapping skills and advice would transfer to guitar, or if there's some guitar-specific stuff to it.
Any advice? In the mean time I'll probably look at slap bass stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

baka kaba posted:

This kind of thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xon04MB1rDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSnWhsmlGec

A lot of people seem to recommend Expanding The Realm of Acoustic Playing by Preston Reed (DVD I guess) but seems like a lot of the chat online is either posting videos of people playing that way or people complaining about it.

Basically, yeah, though I'm not really a fan of either of those guys v:shobon:v

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look for some of Reggie's videos.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I absolutely adore Japanese made guitars, ESP in particular.

Also that's what the ESP board is like pretty much all the time, they have their own thing going.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I recommend something with a humbucker in the bridge, but I don't know if the Jimmy Vaughan strat has one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nearly every single thing Planet Waves makes is amazing, so I'd go for one of theirs as a first choice yeah, that said, I have a kyser capo and it's what you'd think of when you imagine the tank of the capo world.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Some things yeah, but some things will still trip you up. Going from one kind of technique to another is where you'll usually trip up. New patterns and scales and stuff get easier to learn as time goes on, but if you're trying to learn a different way of playing, like slap or touchstyle you're going to feel like a doofus.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Rolo posted:

Well I hit a problem already with my new guitar. I was playing and all of a sudden the D string went completely limp. At first I thought the string broke, but then I notice that the piece of the bridge (Edge III) that the string bolts into has completely slipped off the fine tuning screw and is standing up about 1/4 an inch. I can't seem to get it to go back on.

Did I break my new guitar already?

Can you get a pic? It sounds like something just slipped out of alignment, but I'm not familiar enough with the Edge III to just guesstimate.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It looks a little odd that that's moved so far forward. Try blocking the bridge if you can, loosen the string, and move the saddle back somewhere between the A and G string saddles. Tighten the bolt again, tune up, and check your intonation. You might have to loosen the string and adjust the position of the saddle again to get it intonated at least approximately right.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dolphin posted:

Interval ear training might help. There's a program available for free online that play intervals and quizes you on them... but I don't remember exactly what it was called. It was a more fleshed out version of something like this:

http://www.teoria.com/exercises/ie.php

I suppose you could try to listen to the notes played and replicate them as quickly as you can on your guitar.

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
This'd be it, yeah?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah Warmoth can get pretty expensive real fast. What kind of quality are you looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's also a good place to check out when you want to see old peoples' opinions on modern gear. Or am I thinking of a different forum dedicated to Teles? :shobon: