Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
It's a shame that guitar pro/powertab and metronomes aren't mentioned in the OP. If you're dedicated enough to stick to a daily practice routine using something like Petrucci's Rock Discipline, you can go from total beginner to playing (almost) any song that catches your fancy in about 1.5 to 2 years. Also, I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but http://www.justinguitar.com needs a shoutout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

crm posted:

Ah, got it figured out. Doesn't always sound right, but when I do it right, I can tell.

You're not just "placing" your finger on the 2 after plucking the open. You actually want to forcefully hammer the 2nd fret with your index finger (always use 'tips' not 'pads' for ho/po) so that the volume of the hammered note is the same as that of the open plucked string. This is the sort of strength you build by doing 1h2h3h4 4p3p2p1 drills up and down the neck with a metronome.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Personally I try to find the root notes of the progression, and once you have that you can start to work out what key it's in and what chords are probably in there. Try major or minor versions of the chords and see which fits with the song, and listen for any notes you can hear that aren't really present in your chord, find those single notes and try and incorporate them. If it's heavy music, which tends to be two- or three-string chords, you could start with power chords (root and fifth and maybe octave) and then do the comparison thing to check if there's a note in there you're missing.

Anything you're trying to learn in particular? I could give one a go just to give you the idea (I suck but it might help you get started!)

Along these lines, if your ear is completely new then you'll definitely benefit more by listening to a variety of moderately paced lead parts and then transcribing the single-note melody instead of trying to jump head-first into barre chord transcription. This is an easy way to start coordinating your ear to the fretboard and it's something most musicians do as their reliance on tab and sheet music diminishes. One trick I used when my ear was completely retarded was singing the note I was hearing in a song into a tuner, and then finding the note on the fretboard. After awhile I realized that I no longer had to use the tuner, and a little while after that I didn't even need to sing- my hand just knew where to go. From single notes you can transition to common intervals or double stops like root/fifth, root/fourth, root/8ve, minor 3rd, major 3rd etc. And from there to more complex chords.

Additionally, using Audacity or something like Amazing Slow Downer is essential. I can't overstate how much easier transcribing is when you can slow playback with or without pitchshift while changing the EQ. Not trying to toot my own horn since I'm still a relatively lovely guitarist after 4 years, but in this past year or so I've gone from pretty much tone-retarded and tab-reliant to being able to transcribe stuff like this just by using amazing slow downer to gradually and methodically tab out some of my favorite songs. Oh yeah, and seek out excellent videos of bands playing their own songs or covers that are really good. These were also invaluable as a beginner for figuring out a lot of positional/voicing variation.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 7, 2011

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

crm posted:

That thing is nice, but $50 nice? I dunno.

Yeah, that's why I said "Additionally, using Audacity or something like Amazing Slow Downer is essential." As others said, you can pitchshift, change speed, and equalize in Audacity, but as far as I can tell it has to render the clip each time you use an effect or change a parameter. This is a pain in the rear end for me (as opposed to ASD which autocorrects pitch for speed and outputs in real time) since I'm constantly transcribing or trying to play something by ear. This is the NTG thread so I doubt very many people are going to be dropping $50 on something they can barely utilize, but once you reach that sort of intermediate status where you have some decent chops, own a couple nice piece of gear, and are tired of just playing stuff for which you can find sheet music or tabs, the investment seems a good deal less extravagant.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 24, 2011

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Dohh you're right, I totally forgot Reaper's only 40 bucks, preserves pitch, and that the ReaEQ VST is free