Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
The trem is a fairly underused device that on cheaper (and even expensive) guitars can just cause headaches. A Floyd Rose trem in particular can be a pain in the rear end to setup and retuning your guitar to a different key is more difficult.

Will you be playing 80's metal or going nuts with Dimebag style harmonic squeals? If not, just get a hardtail. This is all just my personal opinion of course. On my two Strats I have the trem blocked :)

Of the two guitars you posted, I'd definitely go with the Agile. Even the lower end Agiles are good guitars. I doubt the hardware on a $120 Douglas is up to much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Kaddish posted:

How hard would it be to get a humbucker installed on a standard 3 single coil strat? A guy at work is willing to sell his mexi strat and I'm thinking about getting that instead of an Agile but I like the idea of the noise reducing pick ups.

Or should I not even worry about it?

If your body is already routed, you can just pop on a new pickguard with two humbuckers and solder 2 wires.

Otherwise you can install a humbucker in a single coil package. SD Rails or GFS Lil punchers http://store.guitarfetish.com/Calibrated-Set-of-3-Lil-Killers-White-Rails-for-Strat_p_146.html

Be aware though that humbuckers sound completely different to single coils. You're not going to get the same sound with less hum. A massive part of the strat sound is single coil pickups. At this stage I would forget about installing new pickups in a guitar until you can play it smei-proficiently.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Falken posted:

Well, I'm going to be the proud owner of a Fender Stratocaster in brown sunburst thanks to a trade with a friend.

All it needs is a jack put in which shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I'll still need an amp, so I'll pop down the local music shop and see what they have. I've been advised that Vox make some good stuff?

What styles do you want to play? What's your budget?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
If the action is low enough for you, the neck is straight and it stays in tune and it sounds good to you, then $40 is bargain.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
It could be belly bulge which can be fixed with a bridge doctor.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Bridges/JLD_Bridge_Doctor.html

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Knowing you from TFR Gewehr 43, I would have assumed that you'd have 30 sightly different 1959 Les Pauls.

Then again, if we followed that logic I'd share 45 Hello Kitty 3/4 length strats with a club of grumpy old blues enthusiasts.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
If to want to learn some classic rock then an absolute beginners classical guitar is probably not what you want.

Realistically an electric and a small but decent practice amp is what you need. There are several good cheap, but decent quality guitars around. An Agile AL2000 from RondoMusic would fit the bill. An Epihone SG310 would also do nicely. For an amp I'd recommend a Roland Microcube which I personally own. Others have said great things about the smaller Vox amps.

You're looking at around $300 yo get kitted out with this gear, but bear in mind that it's good equipment that can be upgraded (the guitar) and you will still use in 10 years for practice while the kids are asleep (the amp) after you've bought that Les Paul and Marshall tube amp.

edit: SG, not SD

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
The truss rod is not actually there to higher and lower the action although it can make a difference to the action. The truss rod is to prevent the neck from bending too much under the several hundred pound pull of the strings. To lower your action your bridge should be lowered. You can do this by carefully filing the bottom of the saddle or by taking it to a luthier who will do the same but with a lot smaller chance of destroying your instrument. It's also possible your nut might be too high. If you're having trouble with barres on near F and not B on the E string then this might be a contributing factor.

Seriously though, take it to a luthier. Acoustics are not as easy to set up as electrics. You should also consider using lighter strings to make things easier.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
New strings go out of tune as they stretch. Pull on the strings at the 12th fret. Tune back up. Keep doing that until they no longer go out of tune.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

crm posted:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pink_floyd/wish_you_were_here_ver5_tab.htm

How exactly do I play that "0h2" thing?

That's called a "hammer-on". Pluck the string, then as it rings out, place a finger on the 2nd fret. You don't pluck the string as you place your finger on the second.

5h7 would mean that you fret the 5th fret (probably with your pointer finger), pluck the string and then place another finger (probably your ring finger) on the 7th.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

ChiliMac posted:

I'm not really "new" to guitar (just sucky) but I'm looking for a good midrange guitar that preferably is: a) fixed bridge (already have a tremolo guitar) b) body shaped similar to the Ibanez S-series c) not a POS...that's about it. Thus far I have only found one:

Washburn XM PRO2F:

I know there are other factors such as fret count, pickups, bridge style, neck shape, etc. If Ibanez made a fixed bridge S570 (or thereabouts) I'd probably already own it. Right now I'm literally just trying to find all my choices.

Have I found my only option? Ideas?

Does Rondo do requests?

There's a new shop in Dublin that has a load of Cort guitars. I've played a few and was pleasantly surprised.

Something like this do you? http://www.cortguitars.com/_webapp_2726494/KX101

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

TheGopher posted:

Basically, I'm looking for something that sounds like the guitar on Thickfreakness by The Black Keys - distinctly blues-like, but with a solid rock distortion. I know there's a ton of personal preference involved, but I'm curious if anybody knows what I'm talking about and has some insight.

Dan Auerbach uses a Maestro MFZ-1 fuzz box

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

Tuxguitar is a free Guitar Pro alternative for Linux/Windows/Mac that can read and play Guitar Pro files.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

He uses a shitload of different fuzzes, like the EarthQuaker Devices Hoof (Big Muff with Ge trannies and LEDs in the two clipping stages). Most Black Keys stuff sounds like a muff.

Yeah, but for that stuff it was mostly the MFZ-1

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
edit: err already explained 2 posts up, thought he was advocating a 2,3,4 approach for some odd reason.

I hold A differently from most people. Number your fingers 1 to 4 starting with your pointer, 4 then being the pinky. Most people do this

e
B 3
G 2
D 1
A
E

I always found that cramped, so I do this

e
B 3
G 1
D 2
A
E

Place the 1 finger down first and then the 2 and the 3 in front of it. Plenty of room. Also, it makes switching to and from a D or an E easy as your first finger is already on the correct string

Zakalwe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 21, 2010

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Hey, I'm sure this is a totally common question, but I read the last several pages and didn't see it, so apologies. I've been playing a long while on my roland microcube and I'm ready to move up to a decent tube amp. I try and play ~2-3 hours a day, so I want to make a somewhat decent beginner tube amp purchase. Do you guys have suggestions? I'm looking at around 300 or something, maybe a bit more.

This really depends on what you play and where you want to play. If you're playing in an apartment, a 40Watt HotRod Deluxe is overpowered. Also You won't chug out metal with it. Other than that it's a fantastic amp and €300 will get a 2nd-hand one.

There's a new breed of amp these days in the lower wattage range aimed at practice and recording. Most of them are around 5watt and when cranked will still get neighbours banging on the door. Marhsall's Class 5, Blackstar's HT5 and the Vox AC4 are all pretty much in your price-range for what I'm guessing you want to do.

I own a HT5 and although it's not a pure tube amp in that it has a solid state phase inverter and uses pregain, it can crank out a great tone.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Eminor C and G would be the next chords I recommend. You can easily play Aminor too by moving the E shape down one string.

Knowing E A D Em Am C and G will allow you to play a decent repertoire of songs.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

vonbaron posted:

Hey goons, what do you all think of this guitar? It has "cracks in the clear coat", according to the description, but it's one of maybe two lefty Vs available that I like - the Jackson RR1 being the other, and this is 1/4 the price. I'm probably gonna order it anyways but a second opinion would be nice. The last picture shows the one crack that I'm particularly worried about - if it's caused there at the base of the neck, due to the neck being bent or warped, then the guitar is going to be hosed up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-HELLRA...742524041144993

As a lefty I know how hard it can be to get a guitar you want. If what the advert says is correct, that it's just finish cracks then I'd go for it. It's a gamble though as it has problems in two completely separate parts of the guitar and you get no guarantee.

What do you think of this? EMG 81/85, Floyd, 24 fret thin neck etc.

http://www.rondomusic.com/reapercustlh.html

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Agile guitars are very popular. Check out the RondoMusic appreciation thread on this forum. Other forums have similar. They're Korean built for an American shop and have an excellent rep. I myself own an Agile (AL3100) that I ordered from America to Ireland and it was a much better guitar even figuring shipping than other guitars in the same price range.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

vonbaron posted:

I might actually have to buy this beast.

On a somewhat related note; what exactly do people mean when they say you have to "set up" a new guitar? My first (and currently only) electric I just took out of the box and have been playing ever since (2 years). Is this a fairly accurate description?
http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/

That's a setup, yes, but most guitars you won't have to touch the truss rod on. Tun up, check the action.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

CalvinDooglas posted:

I recommend new strings every 3-4 weeks.

Playing with dead strings can certainly affect tone and intonation, but changing every 3-4 weeks is a bit excessive in my book. I like when my strings are a little less bright. I might change every 3 months and I play every day. I don't have oily or acidic sweat so my strings don't fall apart like some peoples.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Unsolder the bridge pickup and check its resistance. If it's 0 or infinity it's fubar. It should be in the rage 4k to 10kOhm. If you can hear a faint buzz the pickup wire going to ground is most likely connected properly at least.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

WolfAndRaven posted:

... extra special thanks for PDF'ing it since I don't have Guitar Pro anyway.

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/download.html

TuxGuitar is a free alternative for Windows, MacOSX and Linux. It play powertab and Guitar Pro files.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Liku posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good Distortion pedal? My Metal Master just poo poo the bed and I want a good Black Metal sound along the lines of Immortal and Dissection.

Zoom TriMetal. No longer made but great for any type of metal.
Line6 Uber Metal. Another drat good metal pedal. Also has 2 noise gate modes.
Digitech Death Metal
Rocktron Zombie
Metal Muff, although that's more of a Modern Distortion Tone (TM) by default, it can be sculpted

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

I got a really old Gibson acoustic for my birthday last year. It had been restrung, but the new strings are stiffer than any I've ever seen before. What would be some good strings to get for it that would better cater to my namby-pamby fingers?

The heavier the gauge, the stiffer the string due to the extra tension needed to get it to pitch. A thinner gauge like Martin Extra Light will be easier to fret, but they'll vibrate in a wider arc when struck and it's possible you might get string buzz that way if the action is low. Also, your truss rod might need to be loosened so the neck doesn't backbow if the guitar is set up for heavy strings.

You might lose volume and depth and the tone will probably be "tinnier".

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Thanks. I don't think I have to worry about the buzz. The action is really high. I think it comes from years upon years of having tension on the strings, causing the neck to bend over time. I'll see about adjusting the truss rod when the time comes.

Thanks again!

An old gibson like that might be worth a bit of cash so taking it to a luthier for a setup might not be a bad idea. Sometimes truss rods can get stuck and also the adjustment nuts can be fouled or rusted.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Kash posted:

What's the deal with the massive price hike on new guitars in the UK? Looking at an American Standard Tele (which I'm interested in) or a Studio LP (which my friend bought a few months ago), the prices are up ~£200. It's pretty annoying as I was looking to buy one some time in the new year. I was willing to take a bit of a hit on the VAT increase, but this is ridiculous.

You've tried the German stores right? Thomann.de and Musicstore.de are pretty much the cheapest in Europe and do free shipping on >€200 orders. GAK.co.uk isn't bad pricewise either

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

crm posted:

Ok, question about guitar shapes. Is it expected that guitars of a similar shape are going to have a similar sound? Like is a Gibson LP, Epiphone LP and a Agile AL all going to have a similar sound? Are all flying V's going to sound somewhat alike?

Or are they just shapes?

Mostly just shapes although some people claim flat bodies set up standing waves etc.

Wood type and weight make way more of a difference. Most LPs and copies are mahogany, so they'll be close, although there are different types of mahogany. The maple cap also helps brighten up the sound. Again, there are different grades and types of maple.

Don't forget that the pickups make a massive difference in sound.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

crm posted:

Any suggestions on what string I should use on my Ibanez Artcore AS73?

Jazz players who use that guitar would put a medium to heavy set of flatwound strings on it.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Newf posted:

The 6th string on my guitar buzzes really badly (unplayable) at the neck of my guitar. It's fine to play with a capo (or fretting somewhere on the string). This seems like a pretty minor repair to me, but can anyone suggest how I might do it myself instead of bringing it somewhere to have it looked at?

Sounds like the nut slot is cut too deep for that string. You could pop off the nut, stick a shim underneath it (paper works fine) and glue it back on.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Spider Crusoe posted:

Is there a reason I haven't seen a fretless guitar?

Rondo does/did a fretless Agile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Manky posted:

The Valkyrie. I've never actually played or seen a Malden in person so I can't comment. I figure the more cheap, good guitars get made, the better off the world is.

Does anyone else think the Valkyrie is a nicer design than the original SG?