Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Paulocaust posted:

So, I'm trying to record some acoustic practice tracks through my laptop's mic and it keeps on alternating between sounding decent and sounding like someone's put it through a weird filter or holding a towel over the speakers or something.

If it is a Mac, check the audio settings:

System Preferences>Sound>Input

And uncheck "Use Ambient Noise Reduction"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

If you play with any regularity and/or don't do a full wipedown and case storage (the guitar equivalent of daily flossing), you should change your strings every month. You can get away with less, but they won't sound very good.

The tension thing is due to your guitar having a tremolo bridge. Nothing to do with neck straightness. The bridge maintains the proper string tension with those springs in the back of the guitar, rather than just sticking two posts in the body of the guitar to keep the bridge in place. This allows you to use the tremolo bar and bend the pitch by moving the bridge, increasing/decreasing the tension.

If you have a fixed bridge, you can break a string and it won't bother the others, but as baka kaba said, the tuning on your guitar will suffer greatly for it.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I find that the Nanoweb stuff affects playability. I don't like it. Regular strings are $5 anyway, so changing them once every 3 months isn't really a savings if you pay $15-20 per set.

For someone playing a bigass jazz box guitar with .12s, though, I can see it being useful.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

FrankenVader posted:

Also, grungy/oxidized strings are the worst. Nothing turns me off faster in a music store, or playing someone's guitar, than to have nasty old oxidized strings and I'll generally make a point to music store managers that if they want to sell that $5,000 Les Paul, they should keep it in new strings each month because I'll set that poo poo right back down if the strings are nasty.

This is real peeve of mine when I go to guitar shops. There'll be a really nice guitar with a big sign that says "Ask for Assistance", but it'll have the rustiest, most out of tune set of .09s I ever saw. How am I supposed to know what this thing sounds like?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

At most smaller shops you can get a "bulk" discount if you buy several items. If you're in the market for pedals and such, you could probably get a good deal getting them all at once.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

Can someone tell me the secret to getting a super creamy overdrive/distorted tone like in Death Cab for Cutie's "Cath" or even Hum's "Stars"?

The Death Cab song sounds like a generic Tube Screamer tone, and the Hum song sounds like a Marshall head or something similar.

Those are also studio recordings and you will never be able to replicate exactly, for a number of reasons.

A Tube Screamer is your best bet for getting the same kind of tone, especially one modded to original specs. Ideally, a modded Tube Screamer plugged into a tube amp. Use the middle or bridge pickup. Turn the Presence knob on your amp down for creamier tone, up for fuzzier/chunkier tone.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

I have a Fender Blues Jr, but I never push the master volume past 2 which is probably part of the reason I can't get that tone I want in my head. Gotta do what you gotta do when you're a bedroom player though. Do I have any pedal options for a Marshall tone?

Check out something like the MXR distortion, or the Fulltone GT-500. You may be able to get close to with a Tube Screamer set on high gain and the amp's Presence knob turned up.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

With the ball end at the end of the peg instead of making a J shape like that pic.

Shouldn't make a difference. by the time you get the tension all the way up it will probably pull the excess length tight up against the underside of the bridge. If your wound string pegs pop out while you're tuning up a new set, that excess length is probably why.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Does it buzz through an amp?

Computer inputs can be really gainy. Consistent buzz/hum is not usually a connection quality problem. If the jack were loose the signal would be cutting in and out.

Often the culprit is the computer itself. Hard drives are just big electromagnet disks, and when it spins up those electromagnetic waves will induce a current in, well, every piece of matter with electrons, but especially the guitar's electrified parts.

You can get a longer cable so as to isolate the guitar and computer a bit, but then the added length of wire also increases the amount of current induced from the computer and other ambient sources.

Shielding is really the only way to guard against rogue electromagnetism. Many guitars come with shielding, AKA tin foil, on the inside. Open up your guitar's backplate and see if there is layer of foil on it. Shielded cables can also help.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 31, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Your guitar is far more likely to be damaged by you falling off your bike than the heat. Any temperature change will put your strings out of tune, but once you're indoors for a few minutes it'll go back to normal.

On the Strat copy discussion:

Yamaha makes an excellent strat-style guitar starting around $200 - the Pacifica. They go up to ~$700 for the gorgeous "Custom" models (mine came with a coil tap!). You might have trouble finding the better Pacifica models, but the cheaper ones are fairly common.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Steve Vai might have a wanky looking guitar, but he's not some kind of hack. His first professional gig was with Zappa. Not exactly your 40 year old uncle's classic rock band.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Well get that poo poo done or don't. Do what I did when I was unemployed: 1 hour of practice, 1 hour of job apps - repeat for 6-8 hours.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

You should practice how you intend to perform.

And try doing left hand legato exercises without an amp - it gets a bit muddy, aurally.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Anyone have experience with the book "Voice Leading For Guitar: Moving Through the Changes" by John Thomas (Berkless Press)?

I've owned it forever and am just now working through it page by page. The material is pretty familiar, but I can't tell if I'm stupid or if the author just presents it poorly.

Page 9, for example, is hanging me up: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...pl0PvfR5G0BGLeg (link to a google doc)

-It's just a bunch of diatonic drop 2 voicings, but above the list it says "The following are in the key of C", then immediately above the staves it says "Key of G". No key signatures.

-The first example is "Ionian Major 7" voicings, but the first chord appears to spell a G6, and the second is a rootless Gmaj9. Only half of the chords in the "Major 7" example actually contain a Major 7th.

-The second example is "Ionian 6", and includes 6/9 chords, and at the end a Gmaj7 with no 6th at all.

-It's not until the third example (Mixolydian) that the chords actually contain the notes indicated by the mode and harmony: they are all clearly G7 of some sort.

So am I missing something or can I blame this confusion on the book?

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

baka kaba posted:

So the key signature is C, but the actual key you're in is G, so you get the accidentals. The third chord is the tonic, and the others are the key of G diatonic chords you get through parallel movement either way. The third chord in the next set is G6, so I'm guessing it's the same principle? I'd work them out if I had time, but I read music l___i_k__e_______t__hi_________s

After going through them methodically, I determined that it's a combination of poor editing/presentation and unclear explanation in the book. It appears to be diatonic drop 2 voicings that are appropriate for a root of G in the given mode. If you assume a root of G, the chords in the first example become G6, Gmaj9, Gmaj7, repeat.

I think "The following examples are in the key of C" was attempting to convey that "No key signature is indicated because these voicings can appear in any key".

The trick was hum the root over each series of chords, which made the modal aspect more clear. Who'd have guessed using one's ears would help with music!