Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've decided to replace my strings for the first time and I thought it went fairly well all things considered. I did the once over, then rest under method for the winding. However, some strings are buzzing now on the low end. Is this something that should go away over the next few days as I play and keep tuning it to get the new strings broken in or could it be I just didn't wind them as good as I could have? Also the low E string seems to have a more hollow type sound, which I don't know its normal or not because I haven't changed my strings since I got the guitar last Christmas and the old ones went bad or not.

Edit: Strings are the same brand/size that I had on prior. Did one string at a time.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I had used my metronome earlier.

Christ, my chord change speed has tripled in a week. Scales are done at speeds I never thought I could do. Metronome. Metronome. Metronome. Metronome. Metronome. Metronome.

So much time wasted just loving around trying to do things my own way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm working through Wish You Were Here, and at one part it goes:

/5 3 /5
/5 3 /4

These are "long slides" according to what my books are showing me. Where do I begin the slide? From the first to the 5th, strum the 3rd fret, then slide from first up to the 5th and 4th?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That Guitarjamz site is pretty good. In under 30 mins he has you doing the three easiest chords ever, and strumming them into a nice melody. I wish I had something like that when I started a year ago. I think I spent something like 2 weeks just learning C, D, G without any actual melody out of random book #456.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They will be after a billion hours of practice. :)

Okay, well, not a billion, but yeah, just keep doing it and you'll see it get easier and easier and easier. Probably after a lot of swearing. But that's normal.

I might suggest doing the free trial at guitarjamz.com for three days and do those beginning videos. He starts you out with some really easy chords that even the fattest of goon fat fingers can do and gets you up playing simple melodies. Doesn't take a CC or anything, just an email address. I wish I had done that when I started to get a feel for guitar really quick. Instead I got frustrated with the G chord ;)

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 20, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I must have spent close to 3 hours in the local Guitar Center playing all the guitars. Expensive Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, etc. I didn't think any of them felt or sounded particularly good, or different compared to my ESP LTD M-10, which is basically a $100 starter. I think the nicest one that I bonded with was a Schecter C1+. I don't know if I'm let down that there isn't much out there that I can move on to, or if I should be happy I'm not dropping $500-1500+ on a new guitar.

I think my biggest disappointment was trying a Gibson that looked absolutely amazing, but the sound and feel was just meh. A Fender American Standard Strat had a great maple neck and I could move around on the frets really well, but the sound was just eh.

I think I'm going to just order some nice tuning pegs, and having a new nut put on, and maybe experimenting with different pickups on my guitar for now.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 21, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'll definitely be making the rounds. I do try and buy from the local shops if I get a chance, but they always seem to not have what I want. GC just has an absolutely huge selection that allowed me to burn through trying out all the big names. I went in expecting to be conflicted over wanting to buy everything I tried, but it was just the opposite.

There is a local guitar maker in town (US Masters), so I'll go check them out. A coworker has a Godin that I'll have to ask to let me try out, since no one sells them around here.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SuicideSnowman posted:

How long have you been playing? Sound, or tone is not something easily noticeable by a beginner. In fact, it takes years to really find the sound you're looking for.

Not to mention, a lot of it comes down to the amp and settings of the amp you're playing through. You can have a $4000 PRS Custom 24 and it'll probably sound like rear end through a cheap amp.

About a year now. I got a cheap starter to see if I would keep interest, and I have. I decided to find something decent to use from here on out. As for amp, I found a basic Line 6 Spider 30W to use the entire time at the shop. I didn't want to use a high end fancy amp because I wouldn't know if it was the amp or the guitar that was making whatever I tried sound good. At home I have a Vypyr 30 which is about the equivalent, I guess. To be honest, my attention was more on the feel of the guitars more than the sound. However, the Gibson and Fender you read about their signature sounds, and I didn't hear that at all. Despite that, the Gibson didn't seem to feel very good in the hands. The Fender, the neck/frets were really nice, but the knobs and everything else seemed incredibly cheap.

Oh well. I've ordered some Gotoh tuning pegs for my current guitar. Those are the only things that were really pissing me off about it. They weren't smooth when you wind them which makes tuning really nonfun.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 21, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I usually just pull the strings through the peg, clip the string 3" past it, then push the 3" back so that only 1/2" is now sticking out, bend it 90 degrees. Then wind. Seems pretty easy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dickeye posted:

Oooh, this seems much easier than the "index finger at the 12th fret" bit. Gonna try this next time. I have extra strings now, so I can gently caress around till I get it right

Yeah, strings are so (relatively) cheap anyone can just get it right by trial and error. I've been buying different brands lately and I'm completely amazed how different they all feel and sound. The Elixirs I just put on have a nice pop sound to them compared to the Slinkys I had on before. It's like walking into a candy store when I look at all the strings available. Just have to check the intonation which usually doesn't need to be adjusted too much from my experiences.

Same goes for picks. A Jazz III I have sounds way more vibrant than the Dunlops 1mm I have.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 28, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

unpurposed posted:

My budget for the amp is $200. I've gone to my local music shop to try out some of the amps with the guitar, but to be honest, it's overwhelming. I took a look at the Roland MicroCube but I feel it's a little small for me; I'd like something a little more substantial.

For $200, most major amp makers all have a 20-30 watt solid state version loaded with effects available right around there. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. I looked at everything from Vox, Peavey, Line6, Fender, etc. They all sounded fine to me. Looked up all the reviews and ended up with the Peavey Vypyr 30 mostly because the amp selection sat on the more hard rock to metal side than all the others.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TheGopher posted:

How the gently caress do I make noises like Jack White can?

Smash the guitar into the floor and pull all the strings, spill a beer on your amp.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ChiliMac posted:

Finally if anyone is waffling between the Mustang I and II all I can say is that bigger speaker (12" vs. 8") makes a huge difference in sound (not just volume) so it's not just the wattage that matters in that case.

Glad you found one you liked. I found the same thing, when I went with the Vypyr 30. I had the Microcube before which has a 6.5" speaker or something. At the same lower level volumes, the 12" in the Vypyr just resonates so much better.

The confusion with all the controls on the Vypyr does put a lot of people off. It's actually easy, but the amount of tweaking you can do with pushing in all the knobs to go into sub-settings can lead to sitting there for 30 minutes dialing in different tones and effects. Blessing and a curse. I mostly just sit on the Plexi amp right now with a little reverb and delay.

The FUSE software for the Mustang looks amazing.

As an aside. I got my Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set from a Black Friday discount. Put them both in last night, and it was surprisingly easier than expected. A few 10 min crash courses on how to properly solder pickups and I felt comfortable enough to try this. The soldering was the easiest part, the hardest being putting the drat springs on the faceplate covers. They replaced the stock pickups in my ESP LTD M-10 starter which had.. god knows what in them. Anyways, the sound is really really nice. I'm still a total noob guitarist but I can appreciate the change in tone they're giving me. Hitting strings now is all sparkly sounding on the neck. Very cool.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 5, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ChiliMac posted:

One thing I noticed today was that the guitar I was using to try out the amps (Squire Strat) had varying height magnets in the pickup but I don't think it looked like there was any way to adjust them? Anyhow that's not really my question but you see humbuckers (or even single pickups) with a cover plate on them so I assume you can't adjust the pickup heights? Not really important but I've been reading up on certain things I'd never looked at before and that confused me a little. So on the Strat was it set like that at the factory or is there a way I couldn't see to adjust the height?

From what I understand, the pickup covers go down into the cavity, and are height adjustable as any other pickup. You just turn the screws on the left and right to raise and lower them. It makes a huge difference in sound level from what I found out putting in these new ones. My bridge pickup sounded about half the volume of the neck, so I moved it up to the strings more and it fixed it right up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Watch It Might Get Loud, that should provide you with a little insight into his attitude and the sounds he makes. Also, revel in how poorly "The Edge" is actually able to play.

edit: that post was farther back in the thread than I thought. oh well

This was sort of what I was referring to when I mentioned smash your guitar. He appears to really not care to treat his instruments with any sort of care. He plays the hell out of them, wearing them down on purpose to give off a different sound than what might normally come from a pristine guitar. It's really quite cool. Maybe it's just your normal punk rock thing to do, I don't know.

The Edge seemed more obsessed with effects more than anything else. I didn't think he was a poor player, just someone who wanted to use any and every tool available to him to make unique sounds for each song.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 19, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Any decent guitar discussion sites out there? General, hardware, etc talk.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, just barring the chord was how I initially learned it. I've since learned to go back to the proper way because some of the chord changes are easier that way for me. Fourth finger is basically directly on top of the fret, then just cram the rest in with not too much pressure down. Worry about pressure together on the fingers more than down and you should be able to ring it out fine after a lot of practice.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been a fan of the Jackson necks with the sharktooth design for whatever reason. I noticed this over at Guitarfetish. I currently have an ESP LTD M-10 starter guitar that I've swapped some SD pickups in and I'm enjoying it for what it is. I was thinking of getting this neck and some tuners and basically turn this into my beginner/build guitar.

Would this just bolt right in place of my current neck? Current is bolted on with 4. This looks the same.

Current guitar does not have a Floyd Rose, it's just a string through body. Would that even matter? I have no idea what a Floyd Rose nut really is.. Does that just mean it's a locking nut? Shouldn't really matter, should it?

Any comments about this idea I'm banging around?

I've been looking for my second guitar, and I've tried so many with not much luck. So in the mean time I'm just modding my current one until I find "the one".

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 25, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Side Effects posted:

Body shapes mean very little to the sound of the guitar, the pickups and the amp shape far more of your sound than what the body looks like. Albert King used a Flying V for his entire career as a blues guitarist and no one ever told him to get off the stage just because the guitar wasn't a traditional "blues guitar".

This man is pretty much the sole reason that I have decided to try and not write off a guitar by it's shape. He obviously found something in those V shaped guitars that spoke to him that nothing else did.

The V also props right onto your leg quite easy.

As an aside, I got the Albert King w/ Stevie Ray Vaughan In Session CD/DVD for Christmas. It blew my mind wide open. I almost want to cry at how those two made such an incredible sound together. It is really amazing.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 29, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, haven't even looked at any Ibanez semi/full-hollows yet. Those things look great.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I absolutely love Fastfret. I wipe down the strings if I start to sweat from playing so long/hard, and I do a quick fretboard wipe with it when I change strings. It's been keeping my rosewood fretboard looking amazing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was pretty afraid to adjust my guitar for the longest time. I had it set up for about a year before I got the courage to finally adjust anything. I wish I had learned it right away. My intonation was off, my pickups were too low, my action was too high. Adjusting intonation is really easy, it just takes time with a tiny screw driver, but when you go from being a little off to spot on, you can hear it and you appreciate the fact you fixed your sound. I change the strings pretty often now and always check the intonation, very easy to do and keeps the guitar sounding great.

Though with my initial set up, the guy did file some of my frets, and adjusted my nut. Haven't done that yet on my own, but those fret & nut files are expensive so I'll probably still defer to someone else if I get a new guitar that feels like that may be an issue.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 6, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

crm posted:

Where can I find some backing tracks? Specifically some basic, slower blues stuff

Cool thing about blues, you can play with any blues cd you have. There is always enough room for another player. Toss in some Albert King and jam along.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's also the shape and cut as well. Eddie Van Halen in some interview said he always likes loving around with his guitars and ended up cutting too much wood off one of his favorite guitars in the wrong spot and it never sounded the same ever again. Maybe more experienced players can notice all these details. I sure can't.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there anything to the worn Fender lines other than the aged look? They say the fretboards are aged and such. What does this mean for actual playabilty? I don't personally like the worn look, if I want wear, I'd like to do it myself, but I also don't want to discount something that I might not be aware of. My eyes are on an American Standard right now, but all these new lines have me scratching my head.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I picked up an American Standard Strat and I'm noticing a slight buzz, which is really annoying. I've tried different cables with no luck. If I angle the guitar so the strings are facing my chest, the hum goes away. Is this a sign of a bad connection somewhere? I'd hate to have to mail this thing off to Fender for god knows how long.. It's a few days new. Returning it probably wouldn't be an option because it was the last of the color combo I liked and back orders from Fender are in the months now.

Edit: I did find an authorized Fender repair center in town. Lifetime warranty and all that I guess. We will see how this goes.

Just to be more clear. Sometimes the hum is louder, some not. It happens in all 5 positions. On both of my amps. I have sat down with it once or twice with it being completely quiet. This past time the hum quiet until I plucked a string and the hum started. I know single coils are supposed to be a little noisy, but this would be too much for me to stand at lower volume levels. You hear the hum more than the actual guitar which is unacceptable. My other guitar (two humbuckers) is dead silent as far as hum goes.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 23, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hate those nights when I can't get poo poo to come out of it and end up just doing chord changes over and over.

I love those nights when I can just sit on the floor and get into a groove for two hours just noodling up and down scales with bends, vibratos and slides and it actually sounds good to me for a change. That was tonight, my fingers are on fire and I basically got stoned without smoking anything.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Harmony Central, The Gear Page, and Ultimate Guitar is all I got. Every brand also seems to have quite a few dedicated sites as well. Most of it is "NEW GUITAR DAY", but they seem to be clamping down on that a bit lately.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been digging into blues a lot lately, and I'm finding playing with my thumb over a pick is giving me drastically better tone. I am coaxing out sounds I don't think I could ever do with a pick. Is this going to get me stuck later on when I move into metal and such? I am basically a total beginner still as far as I am concerned.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Thumposaurus posted:

You can look into getting a tremsetter
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

There is another product that does something similar but I can't remember it right now.

This is really weird, and it seems over complicated. Instead of removing the plate that the two claw screws go into entirely, why not just fab the same plate with a hole in the middle, then mount the tremsetter onto that plate with a bolt-on system? Might need custom replacement claw screws that hold the plate from both sides.. But theres gotta be an easier way.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 8, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That is all you need to do. Honestly. After a few changes you'll have an idea how much slack you want to use. It doesn't have to be absolutely 100% perfect, you just may need to tune it more often as the strings settle.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When I did my first string change I noticed my D sounded flat or different. It was the intonation being off. Which is when I learned how to set intonation. Might be your issue, or maybe your winding really IS totally messed up. I just go one over, rest under. It's a PITA at first but you just end up doing it right over time like anything else on these things. Did you change string size or anything? Check the nut to make sure the strings are sitting properly, maybe add graphite to the strings there or nut sauce or whatever.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 19, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Swapping pickups is as easy as a 10 min youtube video and a soldering iron. That easy, no joke.

I was on the fence for the longest time and just said gently caress it. Now I feel like a tard thinking it was something a professional or experienced solderingwiz should do.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ABlix- posted:

On the bright side, I guess I learned a few major chords...C, D, and G and also E minor..

Em + Asus2 + G Maj (partial - E string 3rd fret, A string 2nd fret)are fantastic jump points for strumming and working on melodies. Since each of those only use two strings anyone can do it on day one. They all play together great. Then start throwing in C, A, G, E, D chords (CAGED). Doooooooo it. You will have all sorts of songs, and can literally strum these for hours on end.

Literally the easiest things to learn. (Thank you guitar jamz!)

Also, technically on the Asus2 you're not supposed to sound the low E string. However, you can do both ways to add more bottom end. Mix it up.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 5, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I use fast fret on my maple neck strat as well. All is good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got to see Joe Bonamassa last night in Milwaukee. Second row, front and center. He was basically standing on my head doing his solos. A different guitar for almost every tune, and that guy doesn't need a mic for his voice. Got so see some great guitar playing, but unfortunately the crowd consisted of olderish people who couldn't keep their mouths shut. During a really REALLY quiet solo he was doing some harmonic bits where you could barely hear it, almost ethereal and a drunk guy in the front row standing in front of him seriously yelled out 'You got the world by the.. rear end.. Joe!' louder than the freaking guitar.

Ah well, very enjoyable to watch this guy play guitar. Pity about the audience. Got one of his picks, a red jazz III. Which I have been looking for a while now. All the stores never have em.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I just used it as an excuse to go buy a strat a few months back. Goodbye tax return.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Mustang 3 is 100w, how loud do you need to get beyond a drummer? 200w?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks, Calvin. I've always wondered what it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I got this as my first guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-M-10-Electric-Guitar-H71350-i1797700.gc?esid=ltd+m-10

I hot rodded it with SD pickups a year later. I bought an American Strat and I still use the M-10 as much as the strat. I really really like it.